Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,785 members, 7,810,048 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:21 PM

Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 (9819 Views)

Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown / FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 25, 2013
WEDNESDAY, 25 SEPTEMBER 2013 00:00 BY SULAIMON SALAU BUSINESS SERVICES - BUSINESS NEWS

THE Lagos State Government has unveiled plans to raise the number of Independent Power Plants (IPPs) in the state to five, with a combined capacity of 47.35 Mega Watts (MW) by 2014.

Already, the state government has built two plants in Akute (12.5MW) and Lagos Island (10MW), while plans are in top gear to commission the newly completed Alausa power plant (10.4MW) by next month.

The Commissioner for Energy and Mineral Resources, Toafeek Ajibade Tijani, recently told The Guardian that Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola was set to commission the Alausa project to ease the power challenges in the state.

“The Alausa IPP, which is set for commissioning in the month of October by Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola will run on environmental-friendly natural gas from Gaslink Limited. 

“The power plant, when commissioned, will power the state secretariat complex, Alausa, Lagos Television (LTV8), Lagos State Printing Corporation, Lagos State Council for Arts and Culture, Office of the Surveyor-General, proposed Multi-Agency Complex, as well as the staff quarters I, II and III.”

With only 10,000MW of electricity supplied to Lagos from the national grid at peak, he lamented the insufficient supply profile, explaining that the plight necessitated the IPP scheme initiated by the state government to strategically ease the network.

He, therefore, urged Lagosians to desist from wastages and conserve energy with October already declared as Energy Conservation Month.

Tijani noted that about 4,358,000kwh of electricity were wasted in the state yearly, stressing that Lagos required additional 10,000MW to meet the state energy demand.

He said that the state’s public lighting were powered from various energy sources such as diesel, LPG, IPP and solar.

“While diesel is the primary fuel source, the target is to gradually reduce dependency on diesel by connecting more public lighting to IPPs and increasing the use of LPG and solar,” he said.

He added: “Over 13,000 residential, commercial and industrial locations have been audited so far, revealing that just over 10 per cent of the power demanded by Lagosians is being met by the national grid. A total of over 17,000 generators were discovered in the locations audited, implying that every location has at least one generator.

“This necessary practice of self-generation has led to a total consumption of approximately 162,000 litres of diesel a day, resulting in 178lbs of carbon dioxide being emitted per household per day in Lagos.

On average, Lagosians are powering themselves at a cost of N44/kWh, almost four times the cost of supply from the grid,” he said.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/business-news/133714-lagos-to-get-five-power-plants-by-2014
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by Realdeals(m): 8:48am On Sep 25, 2013
Goodnews, the power sector requires liberalization and not privitization.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by IB5(f): 8:56am On Sep 25, 2013
If states can do theirs and the FG is also doing what is necessary, we should have stable and constant power supply.

Kudos to LASG.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 25, 2013
Nice.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by tolurainbow(m): 11:10am On Sep 25, 2013
Mtchewwwww gud 2 dat sha...
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by moscobabs(m): 11:12am On Sep 25, 2013
Eko o ni baje..Fashola for President.2015 we Focus!!!!

8 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by fitzmayowa: 11:16am On Sep 25, 2013
If only other governor can take this kind of initiative...Naija for don improve wella

Fashola is working...Lagos is progressing

Eko oni baje ooo

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by Okijajuju1(m): 11:18am On Sep 25, 2013
WASH!!!

Fashola wan build power plant in under 1 year.. na beans?~

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by Seequadry(m): 11:19am On Sep 25, 2013
Ki olorun so wa ju igba yen lo...... 1dayON---1dayOFF 30days charges dats d rule in ejigbo

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by bory09(m): 11:19am On Sep 25, 2013
which useless power generating plant are they building gon sef. 40 mega watt is too small for a two mikano generator to generate in the first place why are they still generating it in three sites. Oga o this acn people with their we are working mentality is getting stupidier day by day

9 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by temi2013(m): 11:20am On Sep 25, 2013
i love this Governor.I wish other Governors in Nigeria can emulate his innovative works and laudable projects in Lagos.Eko oni Baje oooooooooooo
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by oguash: 11:26am On Sep 25, 2013
encouraging. wink
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 25, 2013
This is junk journalism and the reporter was probably high on sour dizzle, purple haze or brum brownie when he wrote this.

How's 10,000 MW of electricity being supplied to Lagos right now when Nigeria doesn't even generate up to 3,000 MW?

And if 10,000 MW is insufficient for Lagos, what's there to celebrate in the proposed 47.35 MW?

Can someone please decipher this junk for me?

9 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by 2kass(m): 11:36am On Sep 25, 2013
I wish every state in Naija is independent, walahi people go they queue for Lagos Visa..
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by slimchimex(m): 11:38am On Sep 25, 2013
Good news,only lagos state need the 10,000MW dat FG is planning to giv the whole country
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by oguash: 11:38am On Sep 25, 2013
Fashola wan build power plant in under 1 year.. na beans?~[/b][/quote][quote author=Okija_juju][b]WASH!!!

and who told you that power plant cannot be built in a year?
for the records Geregu phase 11 which is 3 X 144 MW (SGT5-2000E)was built in less than two yrs by Siemens for NIPP
and Mr president will be commissioning it on 3rd of ocotber
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by Slizbeat(m): 11:39am On Sep 25, 2013
Let it be done and not just said. All these politicians and their talks, always making us expect something and at the end fail.

I wish they would stop telling us until they've done it so it will be a surprise package.
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by braine(m): 11:40am On Sep 25, 2013
Na wah o• That is not even enough
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by 36STATES: 11:47am On Sep 25, 2013
These're giant generators being hyped as IPP. Lagos state boasts of having economy larger than Ghana but can't supply steady eclectricity to any residence. What happened to the Lagos mono rail? Fashola is busy chasing okada and waging war of attriction against the poor all over Lagos. He should go to east and south south to see what is called IPP, not those his Mekano generators. Lagos state needs thousands of mega watts, not this measrable ten or twenty MWs.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by dridowu: 11:48am On Sep 25, 2013
Brighter Rewarding Future
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 25, 2013
hehehehehe, dude waited for 6 years to elapse before thinking about adding this to his numerous uncompleted/uncompletable projects, abeg , okoli, pass me the kpoli.

NAIJA NA WASH

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by rozayx5(m): 11:51am On Sep 25, 2013
See them APC azzlickerz dancing all over the thread, shame no even catch them grin grin grin

if it was FG to, they would be saying something else, ( empty promises - retardeen e.t.c) a dunce is already shouting Fashola for President sad sad

last time they were celebrating Common streetlights, now they are celebrating unseen power plants

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by Slizbeat(m): 11:57am On Sep 25, 2013
36STATES: These're giant generators being hyped as IPP. Lagos state boasts of having economy larger than Ghana but can't supply steady eclectricity to any residence. What happened to the Lagos mono rail? Fashola is busy chasing okada and waging war of attriction against the poor all over Lagos. He should go to east and south south to see what is called IPP, not those his Mekano generators. Lagos state needs thousands of mega wats, not this measrable ten or twenty MGs.

Speaking of that mono rail, it was said to start operating this past june but till now I haven't seen anything yet and that's why I hate whenever they address the masses and pass false hopes. It is better they don't even speak till it's done.
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by ichidodo: 12:02pm On Sep 25, 2013
IPP?! More like purchasin Mekanos and stringin all of them up in a power grid-style formation.....Utter bollocks..

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by hopilo: 12:09pm On Sep 25, 2013
THE Lagos State Government has unveiled plans to raise the number of Independent Power Plants (IPPs) in the state to five, with a combined capacity of 47.35 Mega Watts (MW) by 2014

This is nothing but noise making by ignorant people. We need 50,000 megawatts of power in Nigeria to have uninterrupted power, Lagos alone need over 10,000 mega watt which one correct power plant can produce that. Not these 47.35 MW gas turbine generator we make noise about. I work in a company were the power requirement offshore is 4050kilo watt of power, we get that from on small gas turbine in the generator room. To get 10,000 mega watt is just to increase capacity, not a rocket science.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by ganase2: 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2013
hopilo: THE Lagos State Government has unveiled plans to raise the number of Independent Power Plants (IPPs) in the state to five, with a combined capacity of 47.35 Mega Watts (MW) by 2014

This is nothing but noise making by ignorant people. We need 50,000 megawatts of power in Nigeria to have uninterrupted power, Lagos alone need over 10,000 mega watt which one correct power plant can produce that. Not these 47.35 MW gas turbine generator we make noise about. I work in a company were the power requirement offshore is 4050kilo watt of power, we get that from on small gas turbine in the generator room. To get 10,000 mega watt is just to increase capacity, not a rocket science.

i wonder how ppl will say eko oni baje with this noise of less than 50 MW of electricity...how many places will that supply?

Kai...ignorance is poverty

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by Salgar: 12:25pm On Sep 25, 2013
ganase2:

i wonder how ppl will say eko oni baje with this noise of less than 50 MW of electricity...how many places will that supply?

Kai...ignorance is poverty

As your state achieve half of what Lagos state has achieved lately? Eko oni baje ko ma lo beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by kstyle2(m): 12:26pm On Sep 25, 2013
M nt 4rm d west but u cnt help but wonda hw lagos kips settin d pace...m very proud of fashola...if he dare says he wnts 2 run 4 presidnt,he surely has my vote......i hope uduaghan,t.a orji,diickson r seein dis....jst out of curiosity...is there a govnr in ebonyi state?neva hrd of anytyn abt dat state excepts abt snakes in a village*jst wonderin sha
Re: Lagos To Get Five Power Plants By 2014 by naijareferee: 12:46pm On Sep 25, 2013
I TOT BERTH NNAJI(FORMA MINS OF POWA) JST BUILT 145MW WHCH IS ALREADY DISHNIN POWER TO ABA. And a whole lasgidi is talkin of buyin 5 generators to add to 48.5 nt even 50Mw. Eko o disceivin themsef and Apc oti baje oooo

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Raps FG Over Abandonment Of Enugu Coal Deposit / S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King / PDP Plans To Induce Observers, INEC And Security Officials - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.