Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? (27461 Views)

Enyeama, Musa Shortlisted For African Footballer Of The Year Award / Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Jarus(m): 11:07pm On Sep 27, 2013
fijiano202: am not trying to mock anybody or team,am just starting the obvious,Some nigerian fans are really delusional,why would they use the uefa champ lge of 2002 to give award in 2013,secondly do u remeber 2012/2013 was a year to forget for chelsea,starting the league as European champions but not qualifying in an embarassing manner by setting a new Record as 1st champions to be eliminated in the group stage although winning the uefa cup is a morale booster but Moses Perfomance in the league and uefa cup is better than mikel and this may be a big hiccup for mikel due to the fact that people hardly watch europa cup around the world due to UCL,so he may not be voted on the uefa cup glory.Secondly CAF POTY awards winner are voted by captain and coaches and that would be highly influence by individual popularity and performance,Toure is more popular and better than Mikel,am sure some coaches in Africa may not have heard of Mikel or Moses compare to yaya popularity,so i believe its really hard to vote Mikel as winner

Fair analysis. But a big gaffe: there is no coach in the world (not just Africa) who deosnt know Mikel.any coach that doesn't know there is a player called Mikel Obi doesn't have business coaching. Here is someone that has played for Chelsea(not Enyimba) for 7 years, played in UCL final etc.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by royale442(m): 11:10pm On Sep 27, 2013
omajali2003: You might be more intelligent than me but if we write exams and , maybe by hard work or luck I get higher grade, I will be considered before you at that moment. Based on the exams written so far- AFCON, EUROPA and ConFed cup, Mikel has scored more points than Toure. It is not a matter of who is better but who has performed better head to head. The tropies bear witness
And it is not a matter of who have performed better in this case but who gets highest number of votes casted.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Chartey(m): 11:18pm On Sep 27, 2013
homesteady: I think Mikel should win the african best player! But I know that Yaya is better than him!
let us use the European best player as an example - there is no how you'll compare Ribery with Messi or Cr7! They are like one million times better than him! But because he shone with Bayern, that's why he got the best player! But even if you ask him, he'll tell you that messi is better than him!! grin
So Mikel should win also! cheesy
So i guess Mikel shined for Chelsea right? Because Ribery won it with club achievements.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by royale442(m): 11:20pm On Sep 27, 2013
bin gbagbo: top 11 african footballers currently..

1. Kevin Prince Boateng
(Ghana)
2. Yaya Toure
(ivory coast)
3.Pierre~emeric aubamenyang(Gabon)
4. Mohammed Salah
(egypt)
5. Andre dede ayew
(Ghana)
6. victor moses
(nigeria)
7. pitriopa
(Burkina)
8. sulley muntari(Ghana)
9. traore (burkina)
10.Kolo toure
(ivory coast)
11. kwadwo asamoah(Ghana)
12 platini (cape verde)
Bin gbagbo ti fagbo! I'm 100% sure that you formed the list yourself because it is so sh*t! Can you provide the source?
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by seapson(m): 11:22pm On Sep 27, 2013
hurraaay,my account has been credited with #100,000 because mikel scored a goal against fulham.mtcheeew.una no dey shame sef,even enyeama dey score goal pass d so called midfielder. robot no fit do mistake give mikel dat award.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by royale442(m): 11:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
boron10:
grin grin grin grin I'm surprised Michael Essien is not on your list.
i'm also surprised that abedi pele and steven appiah are not there too.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by seapson(m): 11:32pm On Sep 27, 2013
Jarus:

Fair analysis. But a big gaffe: there is no coach in the world (not just Africa) who deosnt know Mikel.any coach that doesn't know there is a player called Mikel Obi doesn't have business coaching. Here is someone that has played for Chelsea(not Enyimba) for 7 years, played in UCL final etc.
make i hear word jooor,how many goals can he count to his name after d 7 yrs.midfielder indeed
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Jarus(m): 11:33pm On Sep 27, 2013
Sagamite:

Oya put your own list make we see.

Saga, I don't know what you're sniffing these days. One Ghanaian listed Ghanaians and interspersed it with few others and call it Africa's Best 11, and you endorse.

Imagine saying KPB is Africa's best. He was never and is not Africa's best. He had his best season 2 seasons ago in ACM, andd even at his peak that season, he wasn't Africa's best that year. He was later shipped to Schalke, and here in 2013, you agree such a player is Africa's best.

The list is so crappy that I didn't bother to reply it, because I didn't even know where to start as it's nonsense from beginning to end.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by dtwsola(m): 11:34pm On Sep 27, 2013
tefund:
mediocre candidate for African footballer of the year these days

This is the truth of the matter. Mikel being a candidate would just reflect the poor form of African football these days. Gone are the days of true elite African footballers (90s, early 00s). Instead of guys honing their skills on the pitch, I see so many young and out of shape Naija guys, who would rather waste their time obsessing over English league clubs and players.

1 Like

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by dtwsola(m): 11:36pm On Sep 27, 2013
dp
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Emisco1(m): 11:38pm On Sep 27, 2013
royale442: wrong! man of the match in the final was pitropia.
sharap.na u rung. Man of d match mikel,playa of d tournament patriopa. Dt wer d ojoro start 4rm

1 Like

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Brunoertz(m): 11:39pm On Sep 27, 2013
Surely, John Obi Mikel deserves the African Player of the year award. Mikel has been astute and consistent in his performances for both club and country recently. He's a good player and I'm happy because his time has come to take home the award. I'll be overjoyed to see this award return back to Nigeria. Up Nigeria!
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Emisco1(m): 11:42pm On Sep 27, 2013
royale442: lol, you are so funny. Logic can not work here. The winner is decided through election so logic has never and would never work. Egypt won the African nations Cup 3 times in a row and none of their players won the african footballer of the year within that period of 6 years. Lets just hope that Mikel gets enough votes in order to crown him the king of african football.
And who told you that CR7 and messi are a million times better than franck ribbery? Still laughing....
xum piple dnt watch futbal. Dt wer u wuld knw. U xay egypt abi.hw many of dre playa play abroad. In europe. U c ba, ur trophy at europe wit ur club count. Olodo@u
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Emisco1(m): 11:47pm On Sep 27, 2013
I DA VEX.I WANT 2 CLOSE DS THREAD.INSIDE 2012/2013.BTWN MIKEL/YAYA.WU MAKE NAME PAS.WU ACHIEVE D MST ND WU WAS EVER SMILING AT D END OF EACH CAMPAIGN.ANSWER DS ND END D MATA RYT HRE. Thread close.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Sagamite(m): 11:47pm On Sep 27, 2013
Jarus:

Saga, I don't know what you're sniffing these days. One Ghanaian listed Ghanaians and interspersed it with few others and call it Africa's Best 11, and you endorse.

Imagine saying KPB is Africa's best. He was never and is not Africa's best. He had his best season 2 seasons ago in ACM, andd even at his peak that season, he wasn't Africa's best that year. He was later shipped to Schalke, and here in 2013, you agree such a player is Africa's best.

The list is so crappy that I didn't bother to reply it, because I didn't even know where to start as it's nonsense from beginning to end.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I agreed with top 7, excluding Moses, adding Muntari.

That does not mean I agree with the order. grin

KPB will definitely be in my Top 7.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Jarus(m): 11:56pm On Sep 27, 2013
My Top 10 African Players Oct 2012-Sep2013

1, Mikel
2, Yaya
3, Moses
4, Pierre Augyebang
5, Mohammed Salah
6, Alain Traore
7, Emmanuel Emenike
8, Jonathan Pitriopa
9, Stephne Sessegnon
10, Emmanuel Adebayour

5 Likes

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by royale442(m): 11:57pm On Sep 27, 2013
Emisco1: xum piple dnt watch futbal. Dt wer u wuld knw. U xay egypt abi.hw many of dre playa play abroad. In europe. U c ba, ur trophy at europe wit ur club count. Olodo@u
you are getting it all wrong, it is not a must to play in europe before you can be crowned african footballer of the year. Its just simple logic that when you are such a good player, european teams would hunt for you and unfortunately, Egytians don't usually play in europe.
The fact that you do not play for an european club doesn't disquallify you from being african POTY. Abdul Terika won the BBC (British Broadcasting Coperation) footballer of the year even though he wasn't playing in europe.
My take, you don't neccessarily have to play abroad in order to be the African POTY.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by iknopro(m): 12:00am On Sep 28, 2013
For me I think Mikel Obi is in better position †☀ wear the crown this time but thats if he works hard. But Orji Uzor Kalu ga achi anyi come 2015. So vote him for President and Nigeria will lift the world cup n den Mikel will be d world best player.

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Jarus(m): 12:01am On Sep 28, 2013
Sagamite:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

KPB will definitely be in my Top 7.

In 2013? What are the highlights of his performance this year?

As for Muntari, I have never doubted his quality, but I have not watched him in recent time.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Katsumoto: 12:05am On Sep 28, 2013
Jarus: My Top 10 African Players Oct 2012-Sep2013

1, Mikel
2, Yaya
3, Moses
4, Pierre Augyebang
5, Mohammed Salah
6, Alain Traore
7, Emmanuel Emenike
8, Jonathan Pitriopa
9, Stephne Sessegnon
10, Emmanuel Adebayour

That list was fine until you included Adebayor.

Replace Adebayor with KPB
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Jarus(m): 12:07am On Sep 28, 2013
seapson: make i hear word jooor,how many goals can he count to his name after d 7 yrs.midfielder indeed

Cannavaro didn't score goals before winning WPOTY 2006. You don't need to score goals before your work is recognized. Scoring goal is jusst a plus for defensive midfielder.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Jarus(m): 12:08am On Sep 28, 2013
Katsumoto:

That list was fine until you included Adebayor.

Replace Adebayor with KPB

KFP is just a one season wonder.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Katsumoto: 12:09am On Sep 28, 2013
Jarus:

KFP is just a one season wonder.

But currently, he is higher than Adebayor who hasn't kicked a ball in over 9 months.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Sagamite(m): 12:16am On Sep 28, 2013
Jarus: My Top 10 African Players Oct 2012-Sep2013

1, Mikel <===== You are joking abi? grin grin grin grin grin
2, Yaya
3, Moses <===== You are joking abi? grin grin grin grin grin
4, Pierre Augyebang
5, Mohammed Salah
6, Alain Traore
7, Emmanuel Emenike
8, Jonathan Pitriopa
9, Stephne Sessegnon
10, Emmanuel Adebayour
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Katsumoto: 12:17am On Sep 28, 2013
[quote author=Sagamite][/quote]

Stop hating, Peckham's finest. grin grin grin
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Sagamite(m): 12:29am On Sep 28, 2013
Jarus:

In 2013? What are the highlights of his performance this year?

As for Muntari, I have never doubted his quality, but I have not watched him in recent time.

If we are talking of this year, we are talking of 2012-2013?

Here is a highlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1wevroxcI0

This year was the year he actually had most games for AC Milan. Not as many goals but he was a firm regular.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Sagamite(m): 12:31am On Sep 28, 2013
Katsumoto:

Stop hating, Peckham's finest. grin grin grin

Peckham has the biggest TV screen wey una go fit see the match wellu-wellu. grin
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Sagamite(m): 12:35am On Sep 28, 2013
Jarus:

Cannavaro didn't score goals before winning WPOTY 2006. You don't need to score goals before your work is recognized. Scoring goal is jusst a plus for defensive midfielder.

What he does is good but just not recognisable enough.

If he could score about 3 goals a season, it would be more recognisable.

If he could make precision passes like Alonso, it would be more recognisable.

If he was fast as hell and can chase anyone down, it would be more recognisable.

The guy is just not strategic enough at Chelsea.

And Moses is a bencher.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by kimco(m): 12:50am On Sep 28, 2013
Hahaahahahah, becos of one goal in 7yrs...my lord what has caf player of the year been subjected to these day? mikel a contender? Shrugs, what a horrible thought. He'll improve and when he does, i'll be there to help apporve him worthy of that title. But now, no oo
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by justhelp(m): 12:55am On Sep 28, 2013
boron10:
Essien surely has past his prime. He was way better than Mikel Obi at his peak. No doubt. But he's now very old, lost his drive and pace, no more skill and strength.

He's now the shadow of his old self. Mourinho does not share your sentiment as well. Despite calling him daddy, he still did not register him for CL. How else does he expect the coach to tell him he's no longer needed?

I wonder why you consider KPB as African best player when his contribution in both club and country has been rather insignificant. If there is someone that is analyzing with sentiment, the person should be you cos no Ghanaian player deserves to be in top 5.
bro don't mind that dude he is trying to sell ghanian brand, but it a pity ghana player has no success for black star now, tell that we feel his pain and we were once in their shoe ghana should endure and wait for their time, cos we are going to the world cup as Africa champion, so for now no players in ghana can be rank in the same level as mikel and moses now.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Nobody: 1:09am On Sep 28, 2013
Jarus:

mogbe! jarus is trash talking cheesy
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by COOLDUN: 3:12am On Sep 28, 2013
There many factors which CAF uses to determine the winner of the African best player award. All these are picked from your achievements in your team, national team.

I am not a fan to Mikel but I believe that he has achieved 95% of them, from winning the European Champions league, African Nations Cup, English Premier League, FA Cup, Carling/Capital One, Europa Cup, most of us don’t know the politics that is being played by the Issa Hayatou and his Francophone countries in the CAF headquarter in Cairo, they always want everything to go to their people, Yaya Toure is scoring goals while Mikel is defending goals for Chelsea too. This time around I think that Mikel deserve the Title, scoring goals or nothing.

When Thomas Nkono of Cameroon won it he was a goal keeper, how many goals did he score then? Nigerians please value what you have.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What’s The Biggest Individual Award Robbery In Sports ? / Nigeria Vs Cameroon: Mikel Obi, Iheanacho Arrive Super Eagles Camp / Three Players Keshi Should Drop For South Africa Clash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.