Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,135 members, 7,814,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (131641 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Wallie(m): 9:26pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: SMH

Read the ENTIRE thread before you talk out an empty head.

THings are not difficult for me, I am stating facts.

Since you want to copy and paste numbers did you know that:
1. Most Americans (58.5%) will spend at least one year below the poverty line at some point between ages 25 and 75. ( Hacker, J. S. (2006). The great risk shift: The new insecurity and the decline of the American dream. New York: Oxford University Press (USA).)

2. Around 44% of homeless people are employed ( http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/employment.html )

3. In 2013, child poverty reached record high levels in the U.S., with 16.7 million children living in food insecure households. 47 million Americans depend on food banks, more than 30% above 2007 levels. Households headed by single mothers are most likely to be affected. Worst affected are the District of Columbia, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico and Florida.

4. Income levels vary along racial/ethnic lines: 21% of all children in the United States live in poverty, about 46% of black children and 40% of Latino children live in poverty. (Center for the Future of Children, The Future of Children. Vol. 7, No 2.)

5. According to the Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunity : Factors such as the desire to be with relatives or to enjoy political freedoms and lower levels of official corruption play a significant role in immigrants’ decisions to come to the United States. The generosity of America’s public benefits and the quality of public services can also make this country an attractive place to settle. These things do not change during a recession, even a steep one. In 2000 1.57 immigrants came to the US and 4.9% were unemployed. In 2009 1.14million came to America and about 10% of them were unemployed. Fast-forward to 2013 and tell me if you plan to see that better.

5. California, New York, Texas, Florida, New Jersey, Illinois, Massachusetts, Georgia, Virginia, Washington, Arizona, and Maryland have the largest immigrant populations. Each of these states had more than 800,000 foreign-born residents in 2010. California has the largest immigrant population, accounting for more than one-fourth of the national total. New York and Texas are next with about 10 percent of the nation’s immigrants. With 9 percent of the nation’s immigrants, Florida’s foreign-born population is similar in size. New Jersey and Illinois are next with 5 and 4 percent of the nation’s immigrants respectively. Of the states mentioned, 90% of them have the highest rate of poorest places in them

This empty head has forgotten more than you will ever come across in your miserable life! Can you respond to a post without having to curse or is that your defense mechanism for not having anything meaningful to say? No wonder why you’ve failed thus far!

Now to the point you’re trying to make…

1. Relevance?
2. Relevance?
3. Relevance?
4. OK
5. OK

WTF is your point?

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:27pm On Oct 04, 2013
Lived in MD, DC now NY

babyosisi:

One question
Where do you live?
Please tell us
I live in the USA and I love it and will not discourage people by painting those pictures
Where do you live I ask
If you don't live in America you have absolutely no grounds to scare anybody by posting pictures off the Internet,some of buildings that have been vacated, ready to be torn down after the residents have been relocated by the government
I will speak from years of experience
You are talking rubbish
America takes care of it's own
Take that assertion to the bank honey
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Reincarnated(m): 9:27pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: Changed when?

I was in DC for the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Centennial this July and that place is still looking like a GHETTO!

grin I can't believe I know this but the Centennial wasn't in July. It was in April. I was there at HU cuz I knew someone that was crossing. I'm telling you the DC i saw last week is changing.

If u know the DC before and the DC now, you cannot say its not different
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by orgasticdance: 9:27pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: THANK YOU

I think people assume that when they "GOOGLE SALARIES" that amount will apply to them. So when they see that an Admin Assistant CAN earn up to $45k they convert to Naira and MOVE without THINKING.

1. That $45k is NOT guaranteed for EVEN citizens
2. They don't have papers and NO ONE will freely hire you unless you do it illegally which means you will make less than minimum wage

The poorest income group in america lives off an average GDP per capita of circa $20,000-$25,000, yet it is still more than 7x that of the average nigerian. And the cost of living (basic and essentials: food, clothing etc) in america is on average less than naija. Industrialization and economies of scale makes that possible. There's a reason why America has made more self made millionaires and billionaires( a decent number immigrants and decendants of immigrants) than any other country in the world. It rewards hardword and industry better than any other country in the world. Your argument was well intentioned but you lost me when you started bashing people who responsibly take on mortgages and debt to pay off their car and consumer loans etc. That's the way a fair society works brother, No? Abi your all for the one we have in Naija were a poor man will have to wait out twenty or forty years before he owns a dream home and car.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:28pm On Oct 04, 2013
Bitter Truth most peeps ain't gonna tell you. I don't think the poster is trying to kill anyone's hustle. His just trying to tell those who are interested in migrating to the US the reality on ground so they aware before they pack up to move to the so-called Land of Promise.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Gudintent: 9:28pm On Oct 04, 2013
I remember I was in the US briefly visiting in 2000 and I met this guy who basically licked the soil of the US.

Okay so he did not go on his knees and all that, but he swore about America's greatness, it is this, it is that blah blah, bloh bloh .....

I looked at him then and shook my head, I'm all for patriotism but seriously America isn't a land where you pick up gold on the street, you work and you work hard.

I wonder what he is upto nowadays, hope he learnt before it was too late.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 9:28pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: He is merely a Social worker and lives in a condo for $1950? And owns 2 cars? LMAO priorities or just silly Naija mentality

Did you not read the part where he works in Fairfax County, earning $40.50/hr with OT?

I called the county - Fairfax, City - Alexandria, State - Virginia... Verify for yourself.

Besides, he's a Social Worker and Family Counselor, so please, say it like I said it.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 9:29pm On Oct 04, 2013
InvertedHammer: /
No matter how bad US is, you can never compare it to Nigeria.

Hey for one, I can sleep better at night and go out anytime I want.

No country inhabited by humans is perfect. But Nigeria is not even a place.

Which is why I don't understand why Nigerians are religious...No Nigerian living in Nigeria should
ever be threatened with hell fire...I don't think HELL with be worse than Nigeria.

Life expectancy of 47?

Odds are stacked against you in Nigeria....Govt, police, military, agbero, politicians, education, women, bribery, corruption,
NEPA, road accident, air mishap, armed robbery, poison, uncle/aunt in the village, your peers, fraudsters, ASUU, doctors,
NASU, mechanics, judges, no clean water, no "FRESH AIR", mosquitoes, rent, omo onile...etc. Jeeeeeeeeeeesus Christ!

Every thing is a damn freaking problem of its own

Damn!! You killed it. Plane crash and people were worried about the cash getting burnt than the body recovered. ....Reality check!!!!

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 9:29pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

The govt shutting down is adversely affecting many people including myself although that's one part of the problem. The whole system is corrupted as it is, there's an insider news on what's about to happen in the next year (2014) and it's not gonna look pretty. America is like a doomsday waiting to happen, I use to be a proponent of U.S., I defended her interest, and supported everything about her, but now, having known in-depth information, I'm antagonistic about the country.
Every Kingdom has its day the American debt system in the government and practiced within the masses is about to crumble like a house of cards.

The Economist recently estimated there are 1 million Chinese workers resident in Africa, contributing to trade of about $200bn a year for 2013. The direct effect of Chinese investment of this type and scale is it has allowed African leaders to work outside of the political niceties of the Washington Consensus, but even more importantly it has boosted the investment appetite of everyone else. “Hey, if they’re diving in, the water must be okay.” And so the Scramble for Africa 2.0 is on.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamgordon/2013/05/15/goodbye-black-power-hello-black-scholes/
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:31pm On Oct 04, 2013
The centennial was this summer and the Damn entire DC was just crimson, well I'll be in DC next week, I'll see this "CHANGE" for myself

PS: The "centennial" was in July. No one was "crossing". You are talking about a probate. That is different from the Centennial where they renamed New Hampshire Ave to Delta Sigma Theta way, they crowded the entire Verizon center and turned DC into Delta Land.

This was NOT JUST IN HOWARD, it was in the ENTIRE DC.

http://www.deltasigmatheta.org/centennial/index.htm

Are you greek?

Reincarnated:

grin I can't believe I know this but the Centennial wasn't in July. It was in April. I was there cuz I knew someone that was crossing. I'm telling you the DC i saw last week is changing.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by alaladakosta(f): 9:31pm On Oct 04, 2013
shymexx:

Freshie, because I'm on the internet 24/7, that automatically means - I'm jobless - nah? Ever heard about IT security analyst? I doubt you have since you can barely out words together.

Lmao at life being better in America than the UK - bwahahahahahaha. grin grin grin grin grin Poverty is definitely an incurable disease!! If only most of you bums over there can afford the rent in London, then I'll probably rate you a little bit. Just a little bit. Anyway, who cares about where Nigerians move to? Heck, there are Nigerians in Malaysia, Kenya, Cambodia and all the shytehole of Europe a la Eastern Europe.

Just get a life and stop telling porkies!!

Pele oooo mr IT security analyst ti ise oka lara,sey them use english swear for we nigerians ni? i've come to realise say na losers they complain bout peoples poor english compositn. pele tie,na their make u dey oooo. mr analyst to n jiya ni london. if na how legibly person write english,mr wole n chinua(God bless his soul) go be the world richest o.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 9:32pm On Oct 04, 2013
Reincarnated:

grin I can't believe I know this but the Centennial wasn't in July. It was in April. I was there at HU cuz I knew someone that was crossing. I'm telling you the DC i saw last week is changing.

If u know the DC before and the DC now, you cannot say its not different

DC is undoubtedly changing, but I know that so many of the construction cannot be filled. Only if DC can fix their damn roads, they charge you $250 camera ticket but there are holes and uneven patches on the roads...nansense.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by alaladakosta(f): 9:33pm On Oct 04, 2013
Ralphlauren:

Absolute rubbish.

yeeee!!!! who be this one? ibo lo ti jawa ti o lokun lorun?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by linearity: 9:33pm On Oct 04, 2013
Some of the comments here are representative of what parts of America is, but majority of the comments are painting an extreme and stereotypical picture.

Agreed, blacks leave in ghettos, but Whites also leave in ghetto as well. We have homeless Whites and also homeless Blacks in the US. You are right, if you say that are more homeless Blacks or more poor Blacks but you will be wrong if you say, it is because of racism or the oppression of the Whiteman.

Yes, racism still do exist in America, but that is not what is hindering the blackman's progress in the US. In many places here, the black guy is more favored over the White guy..eg we have Minority Small Business Association specifically talored to give contract to minorities and people of color...we have affirmative action in employment and college that are deliberately programmed to favor people of color against the White.

In the pictures you shown above, you failed to mentioned that the authority have boarded most of them up, meaning no one is living in those places legally, majority of them are home to homeless people, run aways, etc...but in Nigeria..some of those places will qualify for a bonafide residence.

Also, majority of the black dud you shown in those pictures, you also failed to mentioned that, they are also high school drop outs...they do not end up on the streets wearing $300 sneakers and no shifts because they are black or because of anything, that is the level of their knowledge. Most of those people do not have jobs, they wait on Government paycheck every week. We have people like that in Lagos, they are called Area boys, the only difference is that, they are not paid in Lagos, except maybe if they migrate to Rivers State and join the Bakassi boys.

My point is, the US still remains a land of opportunity, yes it is not easy here. Yes, your friend is not going to give you a ride to visit all the places in town, yes he is not going to allow you to leave rent free forever, yes nothing is free. I attended University in Nigeria, I know what we went through before graduating and I am 100% that if any of my classmates who are still in Nigeria come to the US implement that same dodged spirit they are known with in Nigeria, and if they leave in the part of town you have highlighted above, it will be for a very short period of time while they put themselves together.

Yes, you might face some accent is a problem here. You do not have to speak ebonic to be understand, you have to speak clearly and re-learn some basic English pronunciations....eg you have to know that the 'T' in butter is actually silent and have to be ignored when you pronounce the word and go ahead and pronounce the 'r' after the 'bu' sound...there are many youtube videos that will assist one in adjusting...plus you can get paid services to improve upon.

Are you going to be discriminated upon? Absolutely, but that is not want will hold you down, what will hold you down is inside you period!

8 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 9:33pm On Oct 04, 2013
orgasticdance:
The poorest income group in america lives off an average GDP per capita of circa $20,000-$25,000, yet it is still more than 7x that of the average nigerian. And the cost of living (basic and essentials: food, clothing etc) in america is on average less than naija. Industrialization and economies of scale makes that possible. There's a reason why America has made more self made millionaires and billionaires( a decent number immigrants and decendants of immigrants) than any other country in the world. It rewards hardword and industry better than any other country in the world. Your argument was well intentioned but you lost me when you started bashing people who responsibly take on mortgages and debt to pay off their car and consumer loans etc. That's the way a fair society works brother, No? Abi your all for the one we have in Naija were a poor man will have to wait out twenty or forty years before he owns a dream home and car.
Methink, OP is an imposter though or lazy man with low self esteem
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Reincarnated(m): 9:33pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: The centennial was this summer and the Damn entire DC was just crimson, well I'll be in DC next week, I'll see this "CHANGE" for myself

PS: The "centennial" was in July. No one was "crossing". You are talking about a probate. That is different from the Centennial where they renamed New Hampshire Ave to Delta Sigma Theta way, they crowded the entire Verizon center and turned DC into Delta Land.

This was NOT JUST IN HOWARD, it was in the ENTIRE DC.

http://www.deltasigmatheta.org/centennial/index.htm

Are you greek?

Nope i'm not. I attended the HU one which was in April cuz a close friend was crossing. Well, your first stop should be the shaw howard metro then because that place is def not like before.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by 50calibre(m): 9:34pm On Oct 04, 2013
alala dakosta:

Lolzzz @ " the woman in question is barely educated" nna men, wetting person no go hear for here.me sleeper abi na cleaner u call am?see, cleaner in america fit drive range rover n live the best of life. i don see many africans without education self dey make meaning with thier life. i no say na the pool wey i mentn freak u out,bobo u need to open ur eyes. i no say 90% of yankee resident wey dey here go gladly tell u how its dey go for them 'cept some loser.

Woman!! You make too much noise, I've been reading your comments here, do you think h you're fooling anyone here?

It doesn't take a soothsayer to see you're talking nonsense, probably your fantasies.

Cut the bullsh*t!!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 04, 2013
The COST of living in most parts of the US is significantly higher than Nigeria. For instance, with $20,000 or less, one can buy a home in Naija; the same cannot be said for the US except if you live in one of the least populated states.
Hair salon services are also higher in cost than what is obtainable in Naija too.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 9:37pm On Oct 04, 2013
Reincarnated:

Nope i'm not. I attended the HU one which was in April cuz a close friend was crossing. Well, your first stop should be the shaw howard metro then because that place is def not like before.

Bros, Shaw/Howard metro hasn't really changed, unless you're talking about the construction on the exits...
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by alaladakosta(f): 9:38pm On Oct 04, 2013
50calibre:

Woman!! You make too much noise, I've been reading your comments here, do you think h you're fooling anyone here?

It doesn't take a soothsayer to see you're talking nonsense, probably your fantasies.

Cut the bullsh*t!!

come how person go make "NOICE" for nairaland? sey seun don add voice chat ni? please ignore my post next time.Dont bother reading it since its no make sence to you. thanks
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Reincarnated(m): 9:38pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

DC is undoubtedly changing, but I know that so many of the construction cannot be filled. Only if DC can fix their damn roads, they charge you $250 camera ticket but there are holes and uneven patches on the roads...nansense.

Lmao especially Georgia Avenue
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:38pm On Oct 04, 2013
Can you POINT OUT where I blamed ANYBODY?

If you do then you are smart, if not shut up and stop MAKING THINGS UP

bootlegaz:
Either you are young , an imposter or haven't worked in corporate America. Your rant above is more of a lazy man talk. Keep on blaming white America while Asians are expanding the income gap between them and other minorities.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DICKtator: 9:38pm On Oct 04, 2013
any body who dies of hunger in naija is just too lazy to work, cmon from car wash to customer bringer in computer village...... naija is practically hustle zone....................i'm not saying ppl should stay in naija.. but they should learn hustling skills first.......

BITCCCH PLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shocked shocked shocked shocked
grin grin grin grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 9:39pm On Oct 04, 2013
The New World Power is coming back to the Motherland I'm a get in where I fit in while it is still young!

For eight of the last 10 years the “Lion economies” have grown faster than the East Asian tigers. Six of the 10 currently fastest-growing countries in the world are Africa (albeit of a low base.) Many problems remain, but the rhetoric has quickly changed from aid case to investment opportunity, not least from Wall Street and other investors in flat-line northern economies.

I plan on being part of the solution, that is how wealth is created

http://www.forbes.com/sites/skollworldforum/2013/09/22/we-need-african-solutions-to-african-challenges/

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:39pm On Oct 04, 2013
LMAO @ I can't deal

shymexx:

Bwahahahahahaha

This post had me laughing hysterically. Poverty is definitely a disease. Nigeria messed up so many people's mentality that every little thing better than what's attainable in naija automatically becomes paradise. Nigerians tell more lies than lucifer!! That's how a lot of them lie to those back home that they're balling in London, however, most of them are just existing in shared apartments, or married to women who boss them around like slaves. grin grin grin I can't deal!!! grin grin

Anyway, no place on this planet is perfect, you just have to make the best out of every situation you find yourself.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Reincarnated(m): 9:39pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Bros, Shaw/Howard metro hasn't really changed, unless you're talking about the construction on the exits...

It has. I said I saw this thing last week. That metro area certainly looks different.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: Lived in MD, DC now NY

Where in Maryland
I lived in Maryland
Rockville Maryland to be precise and I lived well and most Nigerians I knew did same
Stop the scares
If you lived in a ghetto and couldn't get out ,it doesn't mean others will
The Nigerians you are writing to here live in houses without electricity and water and potopoto all around with no hospitals and no social amenities.
Many are sitting at home because of ASUU strike
Many have no jobs
The ghettos of the USA is better than where most of them come from ad live in

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 9:40pm On Oct 04, 2013
Reincarnated:

Lmao especially Georgia Avenue

Camera Ticketing is worse on New York Avenue. Last year, NY Ave accounted for about 60% of $75million revenues generated to DC govt, go figure.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by orgasticdance: 9:41pm On Oct 04, 2013
bootlegaz:
Methink, OP is an imposter though or lazy man with low self esteem
I wouldn't go as far to say, but any teenager who lived the hard life in naija and did some little economics/math in sec school should know that if you play the numbers game, the odds of doing better in america trump the odds of doing well here, all else equal.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DICKtator: 9:41pm On Oct 04, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked

WHAT DA.....................................

YOU SICK!!!!!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 9:43pm On Oct 04, 2013
Reincarnated:

It has. I said I saw this thing last week. That metro area certainly looks different.

Hmm, well I last exited from there about two months ago, so you may be right.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:43pm On Oct 04, 2013
You can't assume I want to "bring you down" I don't know you. Take the crux of what I am saying. Sit down, PLAN OUT your life and GIVE YOURSELF a DEADLINE. Then, you can move.
roxell120:
ur emphasis on this is truely with passion and u must ve spent a gud number of years over there.my question is this, when are u packing home ? this is because without hearing this many of us(novice) would definitely think ure decieving us for I've seem guys that went there with bare hand and came back very rich in my neighborhood. anticipating ur reply.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (35) (Reply)

Lagosian Turns Keke Into Rover.... To Avoid Ban / I Finally Stepped Out Of The House After Two More Months Of Quarantine (photos) / Christian Emeka Ibeagwa Dies In U.S.A. Do You Know Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.