Stats: 3,152,235 members, 7,815,313 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (131644 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:44pm On Oct 04, 2013
mayten30: Africans are the cause of their own problem,imagine someone created a thread openly for debate and is trying to open good points up for debate so that people can also debate on the issue ,but some people are already taking his point personally and are turning it into quarrel,@op good job jare,you are trying to make people coming to america to be prepared and not think america is just a place that u will just get to and become a millionaire,america also have its good and bad side so no one should think that america is a total paradise like they watch on movie,that is why I like holly-wood they always try to use their movie to promote their country in a very good way,they show the best and finest cities in their country,they make you see the love among americans even though it happens in movies and when people watching the movie sees all those things they feel eager to want to go to america, I remembered the day I was watching a documentary on cnn showing some areas at ikoyi I was like what the Bleep?so naija self fine like this?,I now imagined if an average american is always watching the documentary that is always showing the beautiful places in nigeria that will also make them to believe that nigeria is totally beautiful,let's talk about our country positively,just like a friend of mine in america said that an average american that has not even eaten,that do not even have money to eat will still be claiming "GOD BLESS AMERICA" but here in naija even the rich ones and the poor ones na swear dem dey always swear for this country.lol

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by tiwasiaife(m): 9:45pm On Oct 04, 2013
Noted! But no matter how had you people try to kill my spirit of setting my foot in Gods own country will not work. U cant be there and tell us not to come. If America will be only abroad i will go,i will forever be grateful. If i should put the effort am putting here in America i swear i next five yrs i will build two duplexes in trans-ekulu and New haven enugu. If ur in u.s my brothers and sisters,all i need is your invitation i promise i will not make trouble even in the face of provocation. I dont find trouble here in 9ja let alone another man's land whereas i knw what is in stock 4me at home. I want to come and suffer o. Tnx Nairalanders.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 9:45pm On Oct 04, 2013
imperiouxx:

Na so, I see am oooo. Hear the guy saying America is a dead country. Chei! Ms. Nas, you're a zombie grin grin grin grin
Me Zombie ke? grin I dey Ajegunle dey enjoy canal breeze oo! Cos na wetin my guy talk. I no follow you dey land of the dead oo cheesy
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:46pm On Oct 04, 2013
Read, if you don't see the point. How can I cure daftness?

Wallie:

This empty head has forgotten more than you will ever come across in your miserable life! Can you respond to a post without having to curse or is that your defense mechanism for not having anything meaningful to say? No wonder why you’ve failed thus far!

Now to the point you’re trying to make…

1. Relevance?
2. Relevance?
3. Relevance?
4. OK
5. OK

WTF is your point?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 9:46pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Unfortunately, my mom has this "arrangee", mu na my mom enwego nghotafio maka this same issue, so I decided, m jeluo, ma fu onye obu.
Goodluck I hope you two are love at first sight, it does work better when the family is involved because she watched the girl grow up and knows her character.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:47pm On Oct 04, 2013
You are forgetting that when America says "poor" the assumption is that you have savings, you worked and that's what you're earning

Clearly those homeless people are making $0

orgasticdance:
The poorest income group in america lives off an average GDP per capita of circa $20,000-$25,000, yet it is still more than 7x that of the average nigerian. And the cost of living (basic and essentials: food, clothing etc) in america is on average less than naija. Industrialization and economies of scale makes that possible. There's a reason why America has made more self made millionaires and billionaires( a decent number immigrants and decendants of immigrants) than any other country in the world. It rewards hardword and industry better than any other country in the world. Your argument was well intentioned but you lost me when you started bashing people who responsibly take on mortgages and debt to pay off their car and consumer loans etc. That's the way a fair society works brother, No? Abi your all for the one we have in Naija were a poor man will have to wait out twenty or forty years before he owns a dream home and car.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:47pm On Oct 04, 2013
ThoniaSlim: Bitter Truth most peeps ain't gonna tell you. I don't think the poster is trying to kill anyone's hustle. His just trying to tell those who are interested in migrating to the US the reality on ground so they aware before they pack up to move to the so-called Land of Promise.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by orgasticdance: 9:48pm On Oct 04, 2013
CFCfan: The COST of living in most parts of the US is significantly higher than Nigeria. For instance, with $20,000 or less, one can buy a home in Naija; the same cannot be said for the US except if you live in one of the least populated states.
Hair salon services are also higher in cost than what is obtainable in Naija too.
food, clothing, and other basic essentials are cheaper and of better quality in america than naija! my gf makes her own hair, most hustlers and wise students cut their hair or find ways to get around those extranous expenses. u can do without that. how many places in naija can u afford a house of 3 million, in an okay location that u can work at the same time? who will give u mortgage at a single digit interest rate here in nigeria even if u have a decent job by naija's standards?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:48pm On Oct 04, 2013
All I'm saying is, with an income like that the priority (IMO) should not be owning an array of cars. No wonder he has that big tax slap.

manny4life:

Did you not read the part where he works in Fairfax County, earning $40.50/hr with OT?

I called the county - Fairfax, City - Alexandria, State - Virginia... Verify for yourself.

Besides, he's a Social Worker and Family Counselor, so please, say it like I said it.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:48pm On Oct 04, 2013
All I'm saying is, with an income like that the priority (IMO) should not be owning an array of cars. No wonder he has that big tax slap.
How many cars do you think Zuckerberg owns?

manny4life:

Did you not read the part where he works in Fairfax County, earning $40.50/hr with OT?

I called the county - Fairfax, City - Alexandria, State - Virginia... Verify for yourself.

Besides, he's a Social Worker and Family Counselor, so please, say it like I said it.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:51pm On Oct 04, 2013
You know what,

I'm actually curious to see if any naija GREEKS on here wil read this and what their opinions are

Reincarnated:

Nope i'm not. I attended the HU one which was in April cuz a close friend was crossing. Well, your first stop should be the shaw howard metro then because that place is def not like before.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by 50calibre(m): 9:51pm On Oct 04, 2013
alala dakosta:

come how person go make "NOICE" for nairaland? sey seun don add voice chat ni? please ignore my post next time.Dont bother reading it since its no make sence to you. thanks

Lol my dear!! Since you can attest to all the goodies america has to offer, dont you think it will be worth your while to enrol in an elementary school, or better still hire a personal tutor to brush you up on things you never had the opportunity to cover when you were young?

Take advantage of the opportunity you speak of.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:51pm On Oct 04, 2013
Even for a beat up shackle you're not buying it for less than $40k

CFCfan: The COST of living in most parts of the US is significantly higher than Nigeria. For instance, with $20,000 or less, one can buy a home in Naija; the same cannot be said for the US except if you live in one of the least populated states.
Hair salon services are also higher in cost than what is obtainable in Naija too.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Celepope: 9:51pm On Oct 04, 2013
Nice thread.Will come out with my Memo soon as an immigrant in the US.Watch out
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:53pm On Oct 04, 2013
Columbia, Rosedale and "BALDIMOH"/Bmore
babyosisi:

Where in Maryland
I lived in Maryland
Rockville Maryland to be precise and I lived well and most Nigerians I knew did same
Stop the scares
If you lived in a ghetto and couldn't get out ,it doesn't mean others will
The Nigerians you are writing to here live in houses without electricity and water and potopoto all around with no hospitals and no social amenities.
Many are sitting at home because of ASUU strike
Many have no jobs
The ghettos of the USA is better than where most of them come from ad live in

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Wallie(m): 9:54pm On Oct 04, 2013
babyosisi:

Where in Maryland
I lived in Maryland
Rockville Maryland to be precise and I lived well and most Nigerians I knew did same
Stop the scares

This is what the OP failed to realize! Some Nigerians are doing extremely well and some are not that great but on average, a Nigerian in the US legally will have a better quality of life than the average Nigerian in Nigeria.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Ugosample(m): 9:54pm On Oct 04, 2013
The American economy is a rat race, winner takes all economy, if you can face that, then you can survive in the USA. US economy can still be salvaged if certain treaties such as NAFTA is abolished because to me, that treaty is a disaster. If the American economy crumbles (as some ignorant people wish/clamour) the effect on the world would be disastrous.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 9:54pm On Oct 04, 2013
By working hard we meant; staying in school while keeping good grades, save money for your papers if you don't have one instead of living that fake life. I bought my first house as a student, rented it out and sold it before the housing market bubble. If I was living in Nigeria I wouldn't think of doing such or be able to due to the fhucked up system.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 04, 2013
To be clear, the poverty line in the US is when a family of four (2 parents and 2 children) collectively make less than $23,000 annually, or a single individual making below $11,500 per year; or a household of 6 making less than $31,000)
$22,000= N3.4 million
$11,500= N1.7 million.
$31,000= N4.8 million

source-http://www.irp.wisc.edu/faqs/faq1.htm
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:54pm On Oct 04, 2013
I'm still trying to learn to cut my own hair!!

orgasticdance:
food, clothing, and other basic essentials are cheaper and of better quality in america than naija! my gf makes her own hair, most hustlers and wise students cut their hair or find ways to get around those extranous expenses. u can do without that. how many places in naija can u afford a house of 3 million, in an okay location that u can work at the same time? who will give u mortgage at a single digit interest rate here in nigeria even if u have a decent job by naija's standards?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by alaladakosta(f): 9:55pm On Oct 04, 2013
50calibre:

Lol my dear!! Since you can attest to all the goodies america has to offer, dont you think it will be worth your while to enrol in an elementary school, or better still hire a personal tutor to brush you up on things you never had the opportunity to cover when you were young?

Take advantage of the opportunity you speak of.

not until wen u realise say if u type in pigin the words can come in any form.btw,liv my english face your own,wetting?lol
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:56pm On Oct 04, 2013
Nigerians do well. SOME. Americans do well. SOME.

The majority -

Wallie:

This is what the OP failed to realize! Some Nigerians are doing extremely well and some are not that great but on average, a Nigerian in the US legally will have a better quality of life than the average Nigerian in Nigeria.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:57pm On Oct 04, 2013
Before you rack ou thousands of numbers. here is the list of the poorest areas per capita

Location, per capita income, population[edit]
Miami Florida $1,539, (420)
Cuevitas, Texas $1,703, (37)
Brundage, Texas $2,371, (31)
Wounded Knee, South Dakota $2,403, (328) [1]
Tobin, California $2,584, (11)
Los Angeles Subdivision, Texas $2,701, (86)
Tagg Flats, Oklahoma $2,774, (11)
Elmo, Montana $2,778, (143)
McNary, Arizona $2,917, (349)
Parmelee, South Dakota $2,946, (650)
East Dunseith, North Dakota $3,026, (219)
Boys Town, Nebraska $3,048, (818)
Green Grass, South Dakota $3,135, (58)
Belden, California $3,141, (26)
South Alamo, Texas $3,162, (3,101)
Muniz, Texas $3,230, (1,106)
Lago, Texas $3,346, (246)
Lukachukai, Arizona $3,380, (1,565)
Nageezi, New Mexico $3,502, (296)
Redford, Texas $3,577, (132)
Indian Hills, Texas $3,583 (2,036)
El Cenizo, Texas $3,610 (3,545)
Little Eagle, South Dakota $3,632 (370)
Del Mar Heights, Texas $3,665 (259)
Aleneva, Alaska $3,707 (68)
Calio, North Dakota $3,711 (24)
Alto Bonito, Texas $3,717 (569)
Stidham, Oklahoma $3,764 (23)
Steamboat, Arizona $3,767 (233)
Oglala, South Dakota $3,824 (1,229)
Las Lomas, Texas $3,877 (2,684)
Whiterocks, Utah $3,920 (341)
Winslow West, Arizona – $3,951 (131)
Ponemah, Minnesota $4,000 (874)
Bullhead, South Dakota $4,029 (308)
Fort Thompson, South Dakota $4,030 (1,375)
Alamo, New Mexico $4,039 (1,183)
Spring Creek, South Dakota $4,045 (136)
Cameron Park, Texas $4,103 (5,961)
Antelope, South Dakota $4,105 (867)
University Park, New Mexico $4,152 (2,732)
Hartwell, Missouri $4,216 (16)
Mila Doce, Texas $4,221 (4,907)
La Rosita, Texas $4,228 (1,729)
Sheep Springs, New Mexico $4,260 (237)
San Carlos, Texas $4,296 (2,650)
Pope-Vannoy Landing, Alaska $4,325 (cool
Kiryas Joel, New York $4,355 (13,138)
Porcupine, South Dakota $4,429 (407)
Manderson-White Horse Creek, South Dakota $4,440 (626)
Memphis, Alabama $4,444 (33)
Santa Cruz, Texas $4,493 (630)
Sawmill, Arizona $4,495 (612)
La Puerta, Texas $4,507 (1,636)
Butterfield, Texas $4,526 (61)
Navajo, New Mexico $4,551 (2,097)
North Escobares, Texas $4,562 (1,692)
Rio Bravo, Texas $4,566 (5,553)
Wanblee, South Dakota $4,584 (641)
Ranchette Estates, Texas $4,605 (133)
San Carlos, Arizona $4,615 (3,716)
Natural Bridge, Alabama $4,619 (28)
Dixville, New Hampshire $4,667 (75)
Round Rock, Arizona $4,688 (144)
Aurora Center, South Dakota $4,700 (7)
Oljato, Arizona $4,702 (155)
East Fork, Arizona $4,772 (880)
Hildale, Utah $4,782 (1,895)
Progreso, Texas $4,789 (4,851)
Muddy, Montana $4,837 (627)
Bixby, Texas $4,852 (356)
Scissors, Texas $4,914 (2,805)
Heidelberg, Texas $4,922 (1,586)
Doffing, Texas $4,923 (4,256)
Shell Valley, North Dakota $4,948 (395)
Tradewinds, Texas $4,962 (163)
Las Palmas-Juarez, Texas $4,973 (1,666)
East Orosi, California $4,984 (426)
Belle Glade Camp, Florida $4,995 (1,141)
Storla, South Dakota $5,014 (15)
Milltown, South Dakota $5,031 (cool
Nazlini, Arizona $5,036 (397)
French Camp, Mississippi $5,047 (393)
Pinesdale, Montana $5,051 (742)
Roma Creek, Texas $5,062 (610)
Salineno, Texas $5,115 (304)
Sullivan City, Texas $5,131 (3,998)
Lindsay, Texas $5,142 (394)
Kaser, New York $5,147 (3,316)
Fort Totten, North Dakota $5,165 (952)
Olmito, Texas $5,170 (1,198)
La Homa, Texas $5,180 (10,433)
Midway North, Texas $5,202 (3,946)
Houck, Arizona $5,219 (1,087)
Spring Garden-Terra Verde, Texas $5,223 (693)
Howe Township, Forest County, Pennsylvania $5,223 (417)
New Square, New York $5,237 (4,624)
Lopezville, Texas $5,254 (4,476)
Colorado City, Arizona $5,293 (3,334)
Wheelwright, Kentucky $5,367 (1,034)
Guadalupe, California $1,224 (900)

CFCfan: To be clear, the poverty line in the US is when a family of four (2 parents and 2 children) collectively make less than $23,000 annually, or a single individual making below $11,500 per year; or a household of 6 making less than $31,000)
$22,000= N3.4 million
$11,500= N1.7 million.
$31,000= N4.8 million

source-http://www.irp.wisc.edu/faqs/faq1.htm
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:58pm On Oct 04, 2013
Large cities with a high percentage of low income residents[edit]

For the survey, a large city is defined as a city with a population of 250,000 or more. Percentage of residents living at the U.S. government established poverty income level is listed.

Detroit, Michigan 36.2
Buffalo, New York 32.9
Cleveland, Ohio 29.6
Miami, Florida 27.7
Cincinnati, Ohio 27.4
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 27.0
Newark, New Jersey 26.1
St. Louis, Missouri 26.0
Memphis, Tennessee 26.0
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 25.6
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by alaladakosta(f): 9:58pm On Oct 04, 2013
babyosisi:

Where in Maryland
I lived in Maryland
Stop the scares
The Nigerians you are writing to here live in houses without electricity and water and potopoto all around with no hospitals and no social amenities.
Many are sitting at home because of ASUU strike
Many have no jobs
The ghettos of the USA is better than where most of them come from ad live in

thanks dearie, no mind the loser jare. anybody wey dey live for usa legally still dey complain the person na either lazy person or a loser.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Wallie(m): 9:59pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: Read, if you don't see the point. How can I cure daftness?

A college dropout that can barely string a sentence together calling someone daft? You better run back to Nigeria before you get kicked off welfare! Just so you know, there's no welfare in Nigeria.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:00pm On Oct 04, 2013
orgasticdance:
You just exposed his ignorance. In owerri alone, lands are sold for 30k dollars or more
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:01pm On Oct 04, 2013
biafranqueen: Goodluck I hope you two are love at first sight, it does work better when the family is involved because she watched the girl grow up and knows her character.

Gbam... True talk but me I'm old fashioned. I like to see the goods before pricing it. grin grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 10:01pm On Oct 04, 2013
READ. That is your hope. If you did you will discover I am a college student, age and that I go to one of the best schools in the world. READ READ READ, you know I heard READING is FUNDAMENTAL

Wallie:

A college dropout that can barely string a sentence together calling someone daft? You better run back to Nigeria before you get kicked off welfare! Just so you know, there's no welfare in Nigeria.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:04pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: All I'm saying is, with an income like that the priority (IMO) should not be owning an array of cars. No wonder he has that big tax slap.

What array of cars? I said Car insurance not car note, his two cars include a Honda (160k miles) he used while doing his masters in Colombia and the new Lexus he bought last year. What array of cars are u talking about?

He got slapped with taxes because of his move, he sold his condo in NY, and then the bought this one in Arlington + liquidated some securities and change in income = huge tax debt. What again are you talking about?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Oct 04, 2013
With SO MUCH investment opportunities opening up in NIGERIA, no well-informed NIGERIAN SHOULD migrate to a country laden with Debts and SHUTDOWN economy.

People see problems in NIGERIA, I see Opportunities and a Tax Heaven.

Every kobo I make is MINE!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:05pm On Oct 04, 2013
A homeless man in the USA will receive same treatment in the Hospital as GEJ when he falls sick. Unlike in Nigeria a cash strapped poor man is left to die in a government hospital. The OP is a crab in a basket, he is discouraging others from coming to the United States from the comfort of his mums basement grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (35) (Reply)

Lagosian Turns Keke Into Rover.... To Avoid Ban / I Finally Stepped Out Of The House After Two More Months Of Quarantine (photos) / Christian Emeka Ibeagwa Dies In U.S.A. Do You Know Him?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73