Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (131645 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 8:48pm On Oct 04, 2013
Excellent. I have some Arab friends who frankly, I think a citizenship to those countries might be better. TV of course, tells you they are all terrorists.

chiboy1928: Instead of me to get a visa to america I would prefer to get a visa to dubai,qatar,bahrain going to america for wat even uk and america I don't knw wich is even worst yet our guys are still struggling for visa to uk and america dead countries guy wise up even some of our african countries and asia countries are beta than ur america and uk u guys are all running to .

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Wallie(m): 8:49pm On Oct 04, 2013
biafranqueen: I agree the opportunities are in abundance when you go for it if you complain about tribalism you will come here and complain about racism. I grew up with white jewish people and have mostly worked with them my whole career. California is very liberal compared to the South where I went to the University, I have experienced racists remarks, but I have experienced more s*xism then racism, in the corporate world. I have a very open personality and I see good in everybody, if somebody is miserable I feel sorry for them and keep away. My worst experiences have been with my own people, hater-ism undecided

I laugh when I her Nigerians complain about racism in the US because the level of tribalism in Nigeria (especially NL) is just as bad, if not worse! I never truly appreciated the level of hate between Yorubas and Igbos until I started spending more time on Nairaland. It got to the point where people I felt were above the fray were knee deep in the mud slinging hate left and right. The entire atmosphere felt so vile that I just stayed away.

Personally, I’ve not experienced a racist remark to my face and I’ve always worked in a predominately white profession. The only blacks that I do see around me are the office cleaners.

6 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 8:50pm On Oct 04, 2013
chiboy1928: let just tell ourself the truth americans don't value our ceitificate if u must fit into they society u must acquire an america degree fr they university then u re gud to go ur nigeria ceritficate or degree is worthless to them but a lot of people don't knw dat.
It depends on the job you can become a teacher with a Nigerian degree. They make between 3-$4,000. a month, but the stress o dealing with children you can not discipline. Most degree holders I know from Nigeria end up nursing (which you still have to go to school and pay between $30,000 to $80,000 depending on level) car sales or teaching. You most likely have to go for Masters in America to get a high level corporate job. But Lawyers and doctors can not practice just like that in Nigeria either I know two lawyers that just went into business because the drama of getting a law license was too much in Nigeria. But other degree's hold alot of weight from America to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 8:50pm On Oct 04, 2013
Reincarnated:

I defo agree with you that America is not what it seems. The Government is currently shutdown because the so called Republicans are so adamantly against the Obamacare that will provide for the category that doesn't fall within 1% of America...which is very absurd imo. Their greediness is driving people that work for the non essential services to go on unpaid leave. Being a black person in this country seriously means you have to work twice as hard to be half of what a white man is. The whole saga of gun violence... I agree with all of that... The America people see is just the sugar coated story. u have to be in here to understand what is really going on bla bla but saying that all those ghetto places is the real America, I dont necessarily agree. Yes, places like that exist but also saying "downtown America" isnt real is so false.

The govt shutting down is adversely affecting many people including myself although that's one part of the problem. The whole system is corrupted as it is, there's an insider news on what's about to happen in the next year (2014) and it's not gonna look pretty. America is like a doomsday waiting to happen, I use to be a proponent of U.S., I defended her interest, and supported everything about her, but now, having known in-depth information, I'm antagonistic about the country.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 8:52pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Lls, you think so...Unfortunately I'm not many folks on here. I've been planning on it for a while, there's a reason why I've been saving and not living a luxury lifestyle, there's a reason why I have peeps like my parents who are ready to ground me. So leave you akuko, when time reach you go hear am.
ok my guy wish u safe return I go Dey wait for u for mma for lagos
Lol!!!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nonybb: 8:53pm On Oct 04, 2013
donsax: NO matter the racist, no matter the ghetto...No matter the debt......America is still far better than Nigeria in all way....
Why don't Ya' all retrn back home ifyou think you can't cope with all these...you are there pushing it and you encourage people that wanna come to stay back home..do you know the current country situation? That's why a thread was created that people in Nigeria hate Nigerians abroad...because they think they don't want them to ever leave home...
Why not open a thread on how to survive all these hardship or how you are coping with it?
We still have many successful Nigerians in America...if all these things happening, find a way to play Americans too and survive...a poor or middle class Nigerian will survive any hardish on earth because no where can be as bad as how poor people live in Nigeria...is like someone living in an overcrowded room of like 10people in a room and goes to another place where they are 5people in the room and someone is asking can you survive this? Hell ya he can..
I guess some people aborad are really selfish, someone will open a thread..".America is racist and full of ghetto" Europe has finished recession all over, Canada is too cold, Australia is costly New zealand is too far, no job in S.A, tax is high in uk, middle east pay are peanuts, china is over populated, japan is earthquake home, South korea s unrest because of north Korea, south America are full of crimes, india is no go area...
Where the f.uc.k then do you want them to migrate to since they can't stay home and all these countries are bad..I guess you want them to migrate to newly discovered habitat MARS?
Lol guy this is insightful. I appreciate that and am moving to UK whether they love it or not lol
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 8:54pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Hehe, for where me and you have that discussion "for years now"?

Na nlo k'obu n'ife ?

Biko kwukwa nke'm kwuru

I have been to Nigeria and have tested the waters VERY WELL, reasons why I want to go back finally. All my cousins are back home and doing excellently well... Nsogbu adiro nwanne,
Nwokem!! I don't want to uproot your past threads. This is world wide web. Are you not the one that said he and his bro are in search of business in Nigeria but are been optimistic due to operating cost? As some one already pointed out, thread carefully bro...Naija no be easy place. I have been there and ran back but if you are politically connected, who am I to stop you?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 8:55pm On Oct 04, 2013
THANK YOU

I think people assume that when they "GOOGLE SALARIES" that amount will apply to them. So when they see that an Admin Assistant CAN earn up to $45k they convert to Naira and MOVE without THINKING.

1. That $45k is NOT guaranteed for EVEN citizens
2. They don't have papers and NO ONE will freely hire you unless you do it illegally which means you will make less than minimum wage

nwanna89: My own opinion:

There are only two things a nigerian can do in the US and have a slight chance of succeeding:

1. Go to school in America, get work authorization, and get a good job. (there is less racial discrimination in employment of highly skilled labor like engineers/doctors)

2. Go into trade. A lot of nigerians especially in texas do this. Trade such as resturant business or african store business.

For anything to work for you, you MUST have work authorization.

I met a young man in a nigerian restaurant in houston, texas. He was working there and had no papers. Therefore, his madam paid him whatever and whenever she wanted. He has a wife and child in nigeria. His mother died, and could not afford to send money back or attend the burial. He too dreamed of a better america. But to be honest, unless he gets lucky, the highest job he will get is a cab driver job.

Number 1 applies to me. I got several job offers as an IT engineer. After a while, I dropped number 1 for number 2. Wholesale african goods imports.

Therefore, my advice to people, if you are not educated enough to land a job in US, DONT move there.
If you cannot obtain work authorization upon arrival, DONT move to america.

Dont envy that your uncle or friend who comes back to nigeria every 5 years with a jeep. All na packaging! grin

There are better opportunities in Nigeria. If we nigerians living in nigeria work half as much as nigerians living in US, we'll become millionaires.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by imperiouxx(m): 8:56pm On Oct 04, 2013
chiboy1928: Instead of me to get a visa to america I would prefer to get a visa to dubai,qatar,bahrain going to america for wat even uk and america I don't knw wich is even worst yet our guys are still struggling for visa to uk and america dead countries guy wise up even some of our african countries and asia countries are beta than ur america and uk u guys are all running to .

[size=15pt]Ta! Stop lying to the public.[/size]

Since you said America is a dead country, have you been to the US before liar?! angry angry

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 8:56pm On Oct 04, 2013
Do us a favor,

Walk Past bronx, Brooklyn and Manhattan and show us if any of those places are "BETTER"

thanks.

pDude: After number 3, the OP screwed up everything.

Please if you are going to show New York and Detroit, please ensure you show recent pictures. Those pictures of New York are from the 80s: A time when New York was called "The Big Rotten Apple".

Thanks wink
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 04, 2013
There are three categories of Nigerians living abroad, and each of these categories has different view/perspective about America.

LOTTERY GUYS:
This category are not prepared for anything, they got luck, borrowed some money and got shipped of to the US, most of them don't have a college degree, the ones that do are B.SC holders (FYI Nigeria first degree is total bullsh.i.t abroad, not only in US, it has value only if you desire to further your education) this lottery guys finds it difficult to survive, they pick up menial jobs, and work their ass off, the young ones work as hard as they can to earn a living, impress family back home, and probably go to a community college (that comes after 3-5years of hustle), while the older ones, with their Nigerian wife and probably two kids, find it hard to send their kids to school (this kids turn out to be a pain in the butt later on), monitor them and make a decent living, the wife take some courses and becomes a CNA (certified nurse assistant), the husband, well...often they start drinking, get involved in some bad stuff and I don't have to tell you how bad that ends, they eventually divorce their wife, forget their kids and damn the consequences.

Smaller percentage of them would consider going back to school, they attend classes with their kids age mate and at the end of the day, the find it difficult to secure a job (even in Nigeria, when you're older than 28yrs, entry level job is not available for you anymore) this category of husband would leverage on their foreign degree, come back home and become a politician or get hired by some company (you never can tell). take note that the scenario is not only peculiar to Nigerians, it's peculiar to almost all immigrants from developing or under-developed country. Some immigrant do make it, but check the data, only a small percentage of young, brilliant and vibrant immigrant gets their foot on the ground within a reasonable period of time.

THEIR PERSPECTIVE: They would tell you America does not worth it, they would go to any length to discourage you and stuffs like that.

MORAL: What we see is not always what we get. Never count on luck for success, although luck might come in one way or other, know for sure that proper planning and preparation is the major factor.

THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS: Often this category smuggle their way into the country, they have no SSN, no address, no phone number, as far as the United States is concerned, they don't exist. They applied for visitors visa, overstayed the period on their visa and do other unimaginable stuffs, this category of people, end up in sham marriage, (VISA/PAPER THINGS), the supposed wife knows what they are passing through so she frustrates the hell out of them, at least until their paper is ready. They end up having kids they are not ready to cater for, take note that before they get their paper done, they're illegal and cannot work, so they find it difficult to feed themselves, these are people that have decent jobs back home, they choose to resign from their job and suffer in a foreign land.

Some get lucky, they get their paper done, divorce the "AKATA" and move on with there life (provided there is something to move on to), if they're older than 35, life is very tough for them, college degree = 0, no work experience, no family ties, no connection, just them (you can only imagine). Ok. If they're not really old, they can fit the pieces together, probably get a part-time job and educate themselves with tax payer's money (This is very annoying). It takes almost half a decade before this category of people get their act together, even when they do, they would look back and scream "had I know" when they imagine the kind of life they would have lead back home.

THEIR PERSPECTIVE:
USA is bad, but if you can hustle, hustle like madt, then you will make enough to survive, but don't ever think you will make it big, never!!! just enjoy life while it last.

MORAL:
It's good to make early decision about what you would like to make out of your life, if you have a solid plan, you would never change course at 30!! never, migrating when you're above 30 shows that you're not sure of your destination, before it used to be a fool at 40, bro and sis, now it's a fool at 25. So make hay while sun shine.

STUDENTS:
Right now, US education is top notch, and don't EVER compare it to that of Nigeria, some people get lucky to attend US institution, if your parent is rich enough (especially as an undergrad), then you won't have problem, but don't ever think you can work your way through undergrad, am sorry, life would be more than difficult for you. The short version is: If you don't have enough money in your account, don't contemplate about studying in US, the non-traditional student i.e. those that come from foreign country, they are obviously in their 20's they get to meet more people in college, make the best out of their life (that is IF their father is not a politicians ooo), so they find it very easy to blend in into the civilized society after their degree, some get an employer to file for them, while other take some other route to become a legal resident.

They get a job, and live an average life (Average American live = Rich Nigerian Life). After some years, they get their act right and before you know it, they're doing well, contemplating about moving back home to do something big. For those that are in graduate school, they have a well defined goals, they don't find it difficult, often they get to stay back and struggle with the waves and it later becomes an happy ending for them.

THEIR PERSPECTIVE:
This category would not complain about how "BAD" America is, they would let you know that it's hard but not impossible. frankly that's the best advice you can get, it's hard everywhere, and the world is for those that would attack issue as they come.

TO THE OP.

1. Everybody build or buy house on loan, so don't use that against America, you should rather be happy that some financial institution is ready to buy you a home and allow you to pay later on.

2. Car is more of necessity than luxury, if you need it you buy it, if you don't then no Poo

3. Don't rely on people, everybody is trying to survival, when life hit you hard, don't ever expect your "brother" to take the hit for you, no! learn to survive on your own.

4. Be positive and don't join the lazy black ass niggas, you're a Nigerian, rapping and becoming an NBA star shouldn't be your priority.

5. [b]GET AN EDUCATION.... THAT IS THE MARGIN BETWEEN THE BLACKS AND THE WHITE. [/b]check grad schools statistics, the percentage of blacks in grad school is nothing to write home about.

6. Be Yourself and forget about the "rat Azz accent"

7. Don't join "stewpid" community of Nigerians in US, don't choose abroad daddy and mummy, brothers and sisters, associate with them only if they're successful.

8. GET THIS INTO YOUR SKULL: Higher percentage of successful blacks don't want to associate them-self with you if you're not yet successful, don't be disappointed if you're not welcomed.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 8:57pm On Oct 04, 2013
Wallie:

I laugh when I her Nigerians complain about racism in the US because the level of tribalism in Nigeria (especially NL) is just as bad, if not worse! I never truly appreciated the level of hate between Yorubas and Igbos until I started spending more time on Nairaland. It got to the point where people I felt were above the fray were knee deep in the mud slinging hate left and right. The entire atmosphere felt so vile that I just stayed away.

Personally, I’ve not experienced a racist remark to my face and I’ve always worked in a predominately white profession. The only blacks that I do see around me are the office cleaners.
Never to my face blatantly more like you don't act like a black/African one time I remember one lady went to South Africa for her
honey moon and another white lady said you should have went to Europe Africa is so dirty, she would say stupid stuff like that, she was a real right wing Republican so her remarks were not just about blacks but hispanics asians everybody non-white I finally got her A$$ fired with the help of other white people and she had been with the company for 15 years grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 8:57pm On Oct 04, 2013
chiboy1928: ok my guy wish u safe return I go Dey wait for u for mma for lagos
Lol!!!

Nna, I'm arriving this December by his grace to survey grounds, make kwanu plans of what I want to do, adighi agba aka enene mmanwu...Onye choro ime ife ga eji aka ya we me ya.. No shaking nwanne, ike mu ji ebi ebe a agwu na mu...
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 8:58pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: THANK YOU

I think people assume that when they "GOOGLE SALARIES" that amount will apply to them. So when they see that an Admin Assistant CAN earn up to $45k they convert to Naira and MOVE without THINKING.

1. That $45k is NOT guaranteed for EVEN citizens
2. They don't have papers and NO ONE will freely hire you unless you do it illegally which means you will make less than minimum wage

Either you are young , an imposter or haven't worked in corporate America. Your rant above is more of a lazy man talk. Keep on blaming white America while Asians are expanding the income gap between them and other minorities.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 8:59pm On Oct 04, 2013
imperiouxx:

[size=15pt]Ta! Stop lying to the public.... Have you been in the US before liar![/size]
are u realy ok asking if I live in the usa b4 well I dnt blame u though cos u have neva travel out of nigeria b4 so u don't wat we are talking about go back relax and keep reading the thread so u can catch up dude my 2cents
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 8:59pm On Oct 04, 2013
bootlegaz: Most Nigerians here complaining about life been hard in America, are very lazy. Stop living the "white man is the root of my laziness" lifestyle and get educated. Professionalism has no color, if you are educated and intelligent you will achieve ypur goals in the great USA. I am not discouraging Nigerians from coming to United States, all I am saying is get an education, have a plan and you are good to go. United State has favored more Nigerians that are not connected to Politicians that Nigeria itself. We practice meritocracy in America while in Nigeria it is Nepotism and tribalism. Chinedu Echeruo, Emegweali and many others did not find their success in Nigeria. Those kids discouraging Nigerians that can't find home in Nigeria, are either lying about their residence in America or they are uneducated loosers. Visit NSBA conference and other top professional organizations in the USA and then you will respect Nigerians and their achievement. I saw the pictures posted by the ignorant OP and those homeless people on there are drug ridden americans who have no one but themselves to blame. If you want to find out about real Nigerians and their achievement, check top universities year books and also linkedin.com.
I hate lazy people and I hate them the most when they start blaming others for their own misdeed.

That bolded statement is the CRUX of this ENTIRE thread, nothing more, nothing less. Some Nigerians do well, some don't . Those who do MOST TIMES ARE prepared BEFORE coming to the US. Some Americans do well, some are homeless. The main point: Prepare so you don't end up as a homeless person.

5 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 9:00pm On Oct 04, 2013
bootlegaz:
Nwokem!! I don't want to uproot your past threads. This is world wide web. Are you not the one that said he and his bro are in search of business in Nigeria but are been optimistic due to operating cost? As some one already pointed out, thread carefully bro...Naija no be easy place. I have been there and ran back but if you are politically connected, who am I to stop you?

And that was years ago abi? You don crase finish. Was it not this year sometime middle of this year I posted such? Besides, I was just making a comment and not necessarily pulling opinions. Pull a thread where two/three years ago I said I was going back to Nigeria to open a business... If I call you anuofia now, they will say I have started. I never said I was politically connected, please say it like I said it biko, I won't mind oil contracts, grin grin grin Who doesn't want national cake? Please, say it like I said it.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 9:01pm On Oct 04, 2013
[quote author=adeaugustus][quote]There are three categories of Nigerians living abroad, and each of these categories has different view/perspective about America.

LOTTERY GUYS:[/b]

THEIR PERSPECTIVE: They would tell you America does not worth it, they would go to any length to discourage you and stuffs like that.

[color=#990000]THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS:
Some get lucky, they get their paper done, divorce the "AKATA" and move on with there life (provided there is something to move on to), if they're older than 35, life is very tough for them, college degree = 0, no work experience, no family ties, no connection, just them (you can only imagine). Ok. If they're not really old, they can fit the pieces together, probably get a part-time job and educate themselves with tax payer's money (This is very annoying). It takes almost half a decade before this category of people get their act together, even when they do, they would look back and scream "had I know" when they imagine the kind of life they would have lead back home.
THEIR PERSPECTIVE:[/b] USA is bad, but if you can hustle, hustle like madt, then you will make enough to survive, but don't ever think you will make it big, never!!! just enjoy life while it last.
STUDENTS:[/b]
They get a job, and live an average life (Average American live = Rich Nigerian Life). After some years, they get their act right and before you know it, they're doing well, contemplating about moving back home to do something big. For those that are in graduate school, they have a well defined goals, they don't find it difficult, often they get to stay back and struggle with the waves and it later becomes an happy ending for them.
[b]

This is the truth and nothing but the truth grin

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 9:02pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Nna, I'm arriving this December by his grace to survey grounds, make kwanu plans of what I want to do, adighi agba aka enene mmanwu...Onye choro ime ife ga eji aka ya we me ya.. No shaking nwanne, ike mu ji ebi ebe a agwu na mu...
nna men ibu onye ebe ibu onye imo,enugu abi anambra!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 9:03pm On Oct 04, 2013
chiboy1928: nna men ibu onye ebe ibu onye imo,enugu abi anambra!

Onye Nnewi, Anambra state...

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 04, 2013
alala dakosta: lol, @ Op. all what u wrote are wrong about america, common i live in america too with my family, ahan wetting its no bad reach that level at all,well the thing is maybe thingz no rossy for u dont use that as a yardstick and generalise. see, wetting i get here i no fit get am for nigeria, no be say i look down on myself o. yoruba pple say" if u cry u go still dey see o"lol. here is my own take on the issue,if u are coming here legally abeg dey come. even u be student just pray u meet the right pple its go dey easy with God.i sabi soooo many nigerians well dey do well here.infact all nigerians wey i sabi dem dey do well. live in big house drive nice car, though they work in pay for it, many of this people no get keke napep for eko ile o.so far wey u dey enjoy the amenities why u no go pay am, u come go snap where disaster happen dey call am yankee, i fear u o. no bad mouth yankee abeg. if its no pay u, them no go hold u for jfk for wanting to relocate to nigeria o. u come dey analise apati say house food debt, omo u go wise up ni, ever since i come yankee if i file tax i go just add like 5k$ join buy nice car, i no carry car note. my aprtment nko na elele i get swinming pool get gym. i dey pay n i dey rnjoy am. if dem say make nigerians dey pay 2k for nepa make light dey dey constant u think say dem no go pay am? the thing be say we too lazy, na short cut we all dey find. omo make i watch flight jare. one life.

Bwahahahahahaha

This post had me laughing hysterically. Poverty is definitely a disease. Nigeria messed up so many people's mentality that every little thing better than what's attainable in naija automatically becomes paradise. Nigerians tell more lies than lucifer!! That's how a lot of them lie to those back home that they're balling in London, however, most of them are just existing in shared apartments, or married to women who boss them around like slaves. grin grin grin I can't deal!!! grin grin

Anyway, no place on this planet is perfect, you just have to make the best out of every situation you find yourself.

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by imperiouxx(m): 9:04pm On Oct 04, 2013
chiboy1928: are u realy ok asking if I live in the usa b4 well I dnt blame u though cos u have neva travel out of nigeria b4 so u don't wat we are talking about go back relax and keep reading the thread so u can catch up dude my 2cents

lolz. Ok, I haven't been there before and I can't utter such statement you uttered about somewhere both of us haven't been before.

City clown making my day! What about those your annual DV lottery applications?? grin grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 04, 2013
But the good news is, the wealthy Nigerians live in Nigeria only some of their children/families are out here and there. cheesy

#justsaying

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 04, 2013
See traffic grin

Anyway, to summarize all the points raised, one has to PLAN before leaving his fatherland for a foreign country. Typically, those who have set clear goals to achieve usually don't have major troubles in the U.S, though not everyone would earn a six-figure paycheck.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 9:07pm On Oct 04, 2013
shymexx:

Bwahahahahahaha

This post had me laughing hysterically. Poverty is definitely a disease. Nigeria messed up so many people's mentality that every little thing better than what's attainable in naija automatically becomes paradise. Nigerians tell more lies than lucifer!! That's how a lot of them lie to those back home that they're balling in London, however, most of them are just existing in shared apartments, or married to women who boss them around like slaves. grin grin grin I can't deal!!! grin grin

Anyway, no place on this planet is perfect, you just have to make the best out of every situation you find yourself.
Guy u bad oh why u come dey open dose guys nyash for here some guys don they boil for here now oh u beta pick race b4 them hammer u!!!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Reincarnated(m): 9:08pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

The govt shutting down is adversely affecting many people including myself although that's one part of the problem. The whole system is corrupted as it is, there's an insider news on what's about to happen in the next year (2014) and it's not gonna look pretty. America is like a doomsday waiting to happen, I use to be a proponent of U.S., I defended her interest, and supported everything about her, but now, having known in-depth information, I'm antagonistic about the country.

Abeg what is going to happen in 2014?

I don't defend America because there is nothing to defend about it. Is it the Justice system that one is going to start defending? The same system that let mad man Zimmerman walk for the killing of Trayvon and weeks after, it was reported he pulled a gun on his wife "due to the fact that he was overwhelmed with emotions" LOL grin. I will never defend America. There are so many things wrong here. I always say that if worse comes to worse, I'm glad I know I can get a one way ticket back to Nigeria grin but despite all this crap, I know that I've been blessed in this country and I cannot say the same for when I was in Nigeria. If anything, I'm still glad I'm out of Nigeria. Yes I have to work twice as hard to make a living but it pays off. I'm currently receiving the best education in this country almost free and I cannot say the same for the brief moment I schooled in Nigeria. My own country didnt provide me with the opportunity to be in the best school, all expenses paid (despite my academic standings) but another country did. My own country doesn't even provide the means for 1st class graduates without the right connections, to work in high earned companies but here, its different. I'm more blessed in America than I was in Nigeria and its a fact.

Despite all of all these horrible things happening here, it will still be ten times better than Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 9:09pm On Oct 04, 2013
CFCfan: See traffic grin

Anyway, to summarize all the points raised, one has to PLAN before leaving his fatherland for a foreign country. Typically, those who have set clear goals to achieve usually don't have major troubles in the U.S, though not everyone would earn a six-figure paycheck.
Yep thats the whole point But like my husband say East or West home is best. Next year we will be living a real life in Nigeria can't wait wink

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 9:10pm On Oct 04, 2013
imperiouxx:

lolz. Ok, I haven't been there before and I can't utter such statement you uttered about somewhere we both haven't been before.

City clown making my day! What about those your annual DV lottery applications?? grin grin

my guy go and sit down not me and u abeg if u haven't been out of the country before that ur problem we are just advising u that it not dat sweet and honey as u taught ok!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 04, 2013
Yo people, just get money anywhere you live and hustle hard. If your life ain't improving, be ready to murder everything moving. Life's about survival regardless of where you live. You must survive by any means necessary. Get an education, exposure, be conversant with the culture, work hard, work smart, think ahead, and create a master-plan. Make sure you take risks and whenever you fail, just keep trying and don't let anything hold you down. Being black is tough enough in diaspora, now imagine adding fresh African to that - that's double whammy on one soul. The world is yours!!

See you at the crossroad!! grin

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 9:11pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

This December is going to be the bomb in Nnewi grin Are you married? If not the babes going to follow you like flys on boo boo tongue Business opportunities are ripe in Nigeria my Dear but you need to go before everything shuts down December is holiday undecided
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 9:12pm On Oct 04, 2013
Reincarnated:

Abeg what is going to happen in 2014?

Despite all of all these horrible things happening here, it will still be ten times better than Nigeria

Lol, don't worry about it, with time, things will unfold itself.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:12pm On Oct 04, 2013
SMH

Read the ENTIRE thread before you talk out an empty head.

THings are not difficult for me, I am stating facts.

Since you want to copy and paste numbers did you know that:
1. Most Americans (58.5%) will spend at least one year below the poverty line at some point between ages 25 and 75. ( Hacker, J. S. (2006). The great risk shift: The new insecurity and the decline of the American dream. New York: Oxford University Press (USA).)

2. Around 44% of homeless people are employed ( http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/employment.html )

3. In 2013, child poverty reached record high levels in the U.S., with 16.7 million children living in food insecure households. 47 million Americans depend on food banks, more than 30% above 2007 levels. Households headed by single mothers are most likely to be affected. Worst affected are the District of Columbia, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico and Florida.

4. Income levels vary along racial/ethnic lines: 21% of all children in the United States live in poverty, about 46% of black children and 40% of Latino children live in poverty. (Center for the Future of Children, The Future of Children. Vol. 7, No 2.)

5. According to the Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunity : Factors such as the desire to be with relatives or to enjoy political freedoms and lower levels of official corruption play a significant role in immigrants’ decisions to come to the United States. The generosity of America’s public benefits and the quality of public services can also make this country an attractive place to settle. These things do not change during a recession, even a steep one. In 2000 1.57 immigrants came to the US and 4.9% were unemployed. In 2009 1.14million came to America and about 10% of them were unemployed. Fast-forward to 2013 and tell me if you plan to see that better.

5. California, New York, Texas, Florida, New Jersey, Illinois, Massachusetts, Georgia, Virginia, Washington, Arizona, and Maryland have the largest immigrant populations. Each of these states had more than 800,000 foreign-born residents in 2010. California has the largest immigrant population, accounting for more than one-fourth of the national total. New York and Texas are next with about 10 percent of the nation’s immigrants. With 9 percent of the nation’s immigrants, Florida’s foreign-born population is similar in size. New Jersey and Illinois are next with 5 and 4 percent of the nation’s immigrants respectively. Of the states mentioned, 90% of them have the highest rate of poorest places in them

Wallie: Nigerians in diaspora and their anecdotes! Just because things are difficult or easy for you does not make it a fact that’s true for everybody else!

Fact
1. The population of US is ~316,000,000 million.

2. The US has the world’s highest GDP (purchasing power parity).

3. The U.S. median household income was $50,502 in 2011.

4. Those living on less than $2 per day before government benefits include 2.8 million children. However, the total federal and state spending on welfare programs was $434 billion in FY 2000. Of that total, $313 billion (72 percent) came from federal funding and $121 billion (28 percent) came from state or local funds.

5. Analysis by 2000 Federal Population Census (1). German 42,841,569 15.2%; (2) Irish 30,524,799 10.8%; (3) African 24,903,412 8.8%; (4). English 24,509,692 8.7%;(5). American 20,188,305 7.2%; (6). Mexican 18,382,291 6.5%; (7). Italian 15,638,348 5.6%; (cool. Polish 8,977,235 3.2%; (9). French 8,309,666 3.0%; (10). American Indian 7,876,568 2.8%; (11). Scottish 4,890,581 1.7%; (12). Dutch 4,541,770 1.6%; (13). Norwegian 4,477,725 1.6%; (14). Scotch-Irish 4,319,232 1.5%; (15). Swedish 3,998,310 1.4%.

Bottom line, as it is in most first world countries, competition to become rich i.e. standout from the crowd, is very tough because you are competing with well educated people, with inherent advantages, that are trying to get rich or become richer. It is a lot easier to become an average person with enough money or support to live an average lifestyle.

However, if you’re good at what you do, the sky is the limit!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (35) (Reply)

Lagosian Turns Keke Into Rover.... To Avoid Ban / I Finally Stepped Out Of The House After Two More Months Of Quarantine (photos) / Christian Emeka Ibeagwa Dies In U.S.A. Do You Know Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.