Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,420 members, 7,836,675 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (132000 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by justwise(m): 8:30am On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: Moderators I am so curious to see what the "hidden posts" actually were.

Those are posts full of insults that will end up derailing this thread, sadly you are contributing to it.

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 04, 2013
Originalsly: Lol....I realized just after after posting that you are not a moderator! ....the moderators are Did Guy and Justwise! ..you got me!
LOL, I know right! grin grin grin but I've contacted Justwise and I asked him to move it to the frontpage....don't know what he's waiting for though
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:07am On Oct 04, 2013
Got it cool

9icegee: @OP hey man chill ok? Immediatly i read tht post i tot exactly ur tots, tht if some1 doesnt allow racist comments get to him tht doesnt mean racism doesnt exist. But i wud'v passed de msg down in a more dignified way. I dont like de way u passed down urs (DAMM NIGERIANS WITH THEIR ILLITERACY is surely not it. Dont make sweeping comments like these pls). U're allowing dem get at u. U dont have to reply 2everytin every 'tom-dik-and-harry' says so pls relax and make no more sweeping, general comment at nigerians (which will include me) simply because some ppl just cant grap wot u say, cos no matter how much u rant and rave, they stil wont get it. So once more, CHILL. ok?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 9:08am On Oct 04, 2013
I promise to just read them. It is enlightening to see how "naija" folks reason.

Could you unblock them. Temporarily at least.

justwise:

Those are posts full of insults that will end up derailing this thread, sadly you are contributing to it.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Ade5(m): 10:00am On Oct 04, 2013
@OP From what you've been posting so far, i.e. the pictures of certain rundown areas in the U.S, the claims of racist gestures towards Africans, the adverse living conditions and what have you, the message you are passing across is:

America is not as awesome as most homebased Nigerians think. But from that assertion, it can be inferred that you mean the grass is not greener in the U.S, and therefore Nigerians should not be overly eager to move there.

So that being said, I don't think its anybody's fault for getting the impression that you're trying to dissuade Nigerians from migrating to the U.S.

The truth is, destinies differ, and I think you should have approached this from a constructive angle like maybe telling people that America isn't all that, but if you will come, be ready to develop a thick skin and rid your mind of the fantasies you have been exposed to by the social media.

P.S. We don't need all these insults na, abeg.

8 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by justwise(m): 10:05am On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: I promise to just read them. It is enlightening to see how "naija" folks reason.

Could you unblock them. Temporarily at least.

You have seen those posts, most are your replies to some comments
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 10:08am On Oct 04, 2013
I don't think so. CC me on them

justwise:

You have seen those posts, most are your replies to some comments
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 10:10am On Oct 04, 2013
inference, presumptions, assuming. I NEVER said any of those things, you are READING between lines that you have invented.

I liked your post though, it was the most analytical assessment to the "claims that I am making"
Ade__: @OP From what you've been posting so far, i.e. the pictures of certain rundown areas in the U.S, the claims of racist gestures towards Africans, the adverse living conditions and what have you, the message you are passing across is:

America is not as awesome as most homebased Nigerians think. But from that assertion, it can be inferred that you mean the grass is not greener in the U.S, and therefore Nigerians should not be overly eager to move there.

So that being said, I don't think its anybody's fault for getting the impression that you're trying to dissuade Nigerians from migrating to the U.S.

The truth is, destinies differ, and I think you should have approached this from a constructive angle like maybe telling people that America isn't all that, but if you will come, be ready to develop a thick skin and rid your mind of the fantasies you have been exposed to by the social media.

P.S. We don't need all these insult na, abeg.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 04, 2013
Now Op, you are coming off as insulting and proud. Was enjoying your posts till you got all "boastful". Please stick to the crux of the topic.

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by 9icegee: 11:42am On Oct 04, 2013
Phema: Now Op, you are coming off as insulting and proud. Was enjoying your posts till you got all "boastful". Please stick to the crux of the topic.
u're saying my mind here too, on de mark! I'v told him. I hope he adjusts, else he might make enemies of ppl like us tht appreciated wot he wrote

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Ugosample(m): 1:21pm On Oct 04, 2013
America is a tough place, sso is the rest o the world. If you want to emigrate to the usa, you must PLAN and know what to expect. Even the bible tells us to calculate the cost.m..... I think that is the message of this thread, or so I thought. If you don't plan, you will REGRET it.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 1:57pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: Again, you SAW what you wanted to SEE
Did you READ through or did you just STOP at one line

Did you READ the part where I said "I could scan my id but are you worth it?" (MEANING I WILL NOT GO TO THAT LENGTH TO PROVE TO A LOYOLA C GRAD THAT I AM AN IVY)

DID YOU READ THAT PART? OR IS YOUR BRAIN JUST TOO CLOGGED UP TO SEE?

Did you also read the part where the ret@rd said he can sponsor my education....you know what why do i even bother. If you are too dumb witted to see, you won't .

It's like saying because I don't let racist comments get to me THEREFORE racism does not exist, is that not a FOOLISH claim? Stop projecting your "PERSONAL views" as reality! That is the issue here, separate FACTS from your OPINIONS

IF I CALL A SQUARE A CIRCLE, DOES THAT MAGICALLY MAKE THE SQUARE A CIRCLE? ?? ?
SMH...PLEASE USE YOUR HEAD NOT YOUR HEART NEXT TIME.
cheesy Look at you! Trying so much to be American, while trashing the same country. Where do you get off calling me a blockhead? grin I'm so many things, but blockhead certainly isn't one of them. If you do half of what I do, your life would be fulfilled and you won't come here on Nairaland whinning. You called some guy a "retar.d", who's the retar
d here?
When life throw lemons at you, make lemonade. You're here in America, make the best of it. Or GTFO and go back to Nigeria.
Last thing, you said you go to an Ivy-League school? cheesy cheesy cheesy Yeah right. You certainly don't sound like someone that goes to a tier-1 school, not to talk of an ivy.
Grow the hell up!
Again, cool it with the name-callling or I'll go hard on you. Both of us might end up being banned. I passed my message across without cursing or calling people names and I expect you to also respect yourself and people around here too. Stop acting uncouth undecided

8 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 2:21pm On Oct 04, 2013
Ms Nas:
cheesy Look at you! Trying so much to be American, while trashing the same country. Where do you get off calling me a blockhead? grin I'm so many things, but blockhead certainly isn't one of them. If you do half of what I do, your life would be fulfilled and you won't come here on Nairaland whinning. You called some guy a "retar.d", who's the retar
d here?
When life throw lemons at you, make lemonade. You're here in America, make the best of it. Or GTFO and go back to Nigeria.
Last thing, you said you go to an Ivy-League school? cheesy cheesy cheesy Yeah right. You certainly don't like someone that goes to a tier-1 school, not to talk of an ivy.
Grow the hell up!
Again, cool it with the name-callling or I'll go hard on you. Both of us might end up being banned. I passed my message across without cursing or calling people names and I expect you to also respect yourself and people around here too. Stop acting uncouth undecided
so miss americana for hw long have u been in the state and wat ur purpose of going to the state can u answer dis question?

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 2:28pm On Oct 04, 2013
chiboy1928: so miss americana for hw long have u been in the state and wat ur purpose of going to the state can u answer dis question?
And I'm obligated to answer you? undecided
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ojdollars(m): 2:43pm On Oct 04, 2013
Ms Nas:

Be courteous please....
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 3:01pm On Oct 04, 2013
ojdollars:

Be courteous please....
And refusing to disclose my personal info on a public forum is bring discourteous? I seee cool

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 3:16pm On Oct 04, 2013
I apologize , sometimes we let stupid people get the worst out of us.

Phema: Now Op, you are coming off as insulting and proud. Was enjoying your posts till you got all "boastful". Please stick to the crux of the topic.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 3:17pm On Oct 04, 2013
It is.

Ugosample: America is a tough place, sso is the rest o the world. If you want to emigrate to the usa, you must PLAN and know what to expect. Even the bible tells us to calculate the cost.m..... I think that is the message of this thread, or so I thought. If you don't plan, you will REGRET it.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 3:20pm On Oct 04, 2013
*deep breath*

Ret@rd is spelt that way because if i type it out Nairaland edits it.

I am Couth. It is futile trying to even talk about my school. The only reason I brought that in this thread was to retort some id1ot's comment. Now you don't pay my tuition do you? No one lies about schools, at least not in my reality.

I am American. I am not trying hard. It's like saying you're trying hard to be a woman. So when you say women get emotional are you bashing women?

I adored the strength, culture and will of Nigeria. That is till now I have witnessed actual "Naija reasoning" - I think I fully get the Naija mentality.
Maybe I should stick to interacting with cultured nigerians, because the commoner, his mind is nauseating.
Ms Nas:
d here?
Last thing, you said you go to an Ivy-League school? cheesy cheesy cheesy Yeah right. You certainly don't like someone that goes to a tier-1 school, not to talk of an ivy.
Grow the hell up!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 3:33pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: *deep breath*

Ret@rd is spelt that way because if i type it out Nairaland edits it.

I am Couth. It is futile trying to even talk about my school. The only reason I brought that in this thread was to retort some id1ot's comment. Now you don't pay my tuition do you? No one lies about schools, at least not in my reality.

I am American. I am not trying hard. It's like saying you're trying hard to be a woman. So when you say women get emotional are you bashing women?

I adored the strength, culture and will of Nigeria. That is till now I have witnessed actual "Naija reasoning" - I think I fully get the Naija mentality.
Maybe I should stick to interacting with cultured nigerians, because the commoner, his mind is nauseating.
Yada Yada Yada. Stick to the topic of "enlightening" as you put it and stop the name calling.
I wasn't going on about the way you spelled retar.d but the fact that you have the nerve to call someone who didn't insult you retar.d.
Grow up, man. Get off Nairaland and make something out of yourself.
Why would I wanna pay your tuition? cheesy
You adored the strength of Nigerians yet you don't hesitate to throw insults at them. Judging them collectively. IRONY.
Also, who are the Nigerian commoners? Loooooolll grin I'm a commoner and I'm proud. I'm also sure you aren't one of the elites too. Don't get your knickers in a bunch, man.
Let's not retail the topic of your thread, okay. Lemme seat back and watch. grin

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: I answered your question.

From what I know Blacks see "AFRICANS" (including their "pidgin english" ) in a condescending way. Regardless of what part of "africa" you are from.

pardone es moi sil vous plait..

But y dizz meni VOCABULARIES..

@op..pipo air heir views nd u insult..xo wrong for a responsible individual..
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:01pm On Oct 04, 2013
Let's agree to disagree?
Ms Nas:
Yada Yada Yada. Stick to the topic of "enlightening" as you put it and stop the name calling.
I wasn't going on about the way you spelled retar.d but the fact that you have the nerve to call someone who didn't insult you retar.d.
Grow up, man. Get off Nairaland and make something out of yourself.
Why would I wanna pay your tuition? cheesy
You adored the strength of Nigerians yet you don't hesitate to throw insults at them. Judging them collectively. IRONY.
Also, who are the Nigerian commoners? Loooooolll grin I'm a commoner and I'm proud. I'm also sure you aren't one of the elites too. Don't get your knickers in a bunch, man.
Let's not retail the topic of your thread, okay. Lemme seat back and watch. grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 04, 2013
I xo HATE it wen i c xom comments ful of U.S lingo(s)..wht kind of picture are u guyss tryin 2portray

Why d NOISE..if i may ask...wht d'u intend 2gain by BOASTING of ur acheivemntz nd livin standardzz

Plz..u cn contd wit ur RANTS bt plzz liv my 9ja ouuta dizz..

Xo LOVE my 9ja..dnt wanna care wht any1 tinkzz..

n.b:monkey nor fine bt e mama lyk am .... I xomtymz wonder wht happened ..2PATRIOTISM
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 04, 2013
I've been following this thread with a wise mind-set, I read what the OP has written and I got the cents, authomatically this man has contributed to my life and I am not gonna forget what I have learnt from him so far.

@Moderators He wasn't trying to insult anybody,he was only quoting them with words that seems insultive to the understanding of we the third world countries as 'they' call it.

I just want the wise ones here to take the cents from the OP's Post and add to your account. Trust me, it's gonna multiply and probably make you Rich.

“Most people do not listen with the
intent to understand; they listen with
the intent to reply.
#WORD cool

7 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by claremont(m): 4:16pm On Oct 04, 2013
I think the purpose of this thread is for Nigerians to be able to make informed decisions about travelling to America (or anywhere overseas for that matter). The fact of the matter is that people would still migrate to countries with better living conditions regardless of the amount of hardcore data that shows that not everyone living in these countries are actually living the dream. I also think MOST Nigerians (if not all) who desire to travel abroad are fully aware that one cannot just pick money from the streets, and the majority of Nigerians have the necessary commitment to work hard to achieve their goals.

I'm just an average uncultured Nigerian commoner living the dream in a country that has provided me with what I could only dream of if I was based in Nigeria. I may not be rich or be privileged to have attended the best university, but I'm happy and content to live in a country whereby my future kids have a better chance of a good life. I would rather raise my kids in a country where I get value for what I pay taxes for, than in Nigerian society notorious for endemic corruption.

10 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 04, 2013
claremont: I think the purpose of this thread is for Nigerians to be able to make informed decisions about travelling to America (or anywhere overseas for that matter). The fact of the matter is that people would still migrate to countries with better living conditions regardless of the amount of hardcore data that shows that not everyone living in these countries are actually living dream. I think MOST Nigerians (if not all) who desire to travel abroad are fully aware that one cannot just pick money from the streets, and the majority of Nigerians have the necessary commitment to work hard to achieve their goals.

I'm just an average uncultured Nigerian commoner living the dream in a country that has provided me with what I could only dream of if I was based in Nigeria. I may not be rich or be privileged to have attended the best university, but I'm happy and content to live in a country whereby my future kids have a better chance of a good life. I would rather raise my kids in a country where I get value for what I pay taxes for, than in Nigerian society notorious for endemic corruption.
But sir, make sure you give them your cultural or Traditional names as their first names and teach them your language,if you can't speak it. You bring any of your relatives who can speak the language over to help them learn...it makes them UNIQUE! #TalkingFromExperience
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 4:36pm On Oct 04, 2013
claremont: I think the purpose of this thread is for Nigerians to be able to make informed decisions about travelling to America (or anywhere overseas for that matter). The fact of the matter is that people would still migrate to countries with better living conditions regardless of the amount of hardcore data that shows that not everyone living in these countries are actually living the dream. I also think MOST Nigerians (if not all) who desire to travel abroad are fully aware that one cannot just pick money from the streets, and the majority of Nigerians have the necessary commitment to work hard to achieve their goals.

Thanks a million for this! The Bolded, one thousand likes!!!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:43pm On Oct 04, 2013
May the odds ever be in your favor

claremont: I think the purpose of this thread is for Nigerians to be able to make informed decisions about travelling to America (or anywhere overseas for that matter). The fact of the matter is that people would still migrate to countries with better living conditions regardless of the amount of hardcore data that shows that not everyone living in these countries are actually living the dream. I also think MOST Nigerians (if not all) who desire to travel abroad are fully aware that one cannot just pick money from the streets, and the majority of Nigerians have the necessary commitment to work hard to achieve their goals.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 04, 2013

9ce pointzz..

But wen mor pipo contd 2go 4greener pastures who will cultivate d so called notorious society u left behind
Sm1 tel me y u won't b DEPORTED in ur own country...

For Godsake 9ja is not a land u use for BUSH-FALLOWING..

Plzz..aire ur views politely..jus liv d name callin ouuta dizz..

Liv my 9ja alone..til u try2 better d situation i remain BLIND 2ur point...try 2b PATROITIC nxt tym..guddluckk
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 6:52pm On Oct 04, 2013
Ms Nas:
I can see u have no vision or goals of going to the state who knows u might be in one jungle at ajegunle claming you they yankee cos dat wat u guys do nw am nt suprised!

4 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by hollypagan: 6:53pm On Oct 04, 2013
i tell you people, America is nothing, come to china its like heaven, 50 times more beautiful than America, though they lack human right but the country is ok
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Chars1289: 6:53pm On Oct 04, 2013

I'm just an average uncultured Nigerian commoner living the dream in a country that has provided me with what I could only dream of if I was based in Nigeria. I may not be rich or be privileged to have attended the best university, but I'm happy and content to live in a country whereby my future kids have a better chance of a good life. I would rather raise my kids in a country where I get value for what I pay taxes for, than in Nigerian society notorious for endemic corruption.[/quote
Well said....
Ms Nas easy ohh..its well..hop al z going on fine ova dere...

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (35) (Reply)

Illegal Immigrant: My Near Death And Terrible Experience In Malaysia / Nigerians In Sweden, How Is The Economy And Life Generally / General Austria Study/visa( Process And Requirements)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.