Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,133 members, 7,845,758 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market (12211 Views)

Command Centre In Abuja To Relocate To Maiduguri / Tinubu: Bode George Free To Relocate To Bayelsa (video) / Open Letter To President GEJ: Pls Call Abia Governor, Orji To Order (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by nwoko12: 4:04pm On Sep 29, 2013
Make i give una the full gist T A orji didnt build any shop the shops were built by individuals and if u build 20 u give him 10 and the worst part is that the market was suited in a swamp and the whole of that new market u cant drill water cose there is no water in the soil the lower layer is rocky and now the road to the market is narrow is a one lane road and the market is surrounded by forest and not villages and he is insisting lemme ask u a question between the goverment and the peoplw who should build shop and the other goverment or the people my dear we are crying bitterly in umuahia i mean real crying let the news men invistigat what i wrote if its true or not

5 Likes

Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by emmabest2000(m): 4:04pm On Sep 29, 2013
chiomen:
Orji to Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market

Emmanuel Ugwu with agency report
Abia State Governor, Chief Theodore Orji has declared that he was set to break a 78-year old jinx by relocating the Umuahia Main Market to a more spacious and conducive area.
The relocation of the market, the governor said was to allow for the expansion and beautification of Umuahia, the state capital.

He gave the assurance after inspecting the progress of work on the new market located at Ubani Ibeku area of the capital saying that the September 30 deadline for the relocation was still on course.

He said the traders “are very enthusiastic” about the change. “It is very feasible,” adding that the plan to relocate the main market started in 1935 during the colonial era but that no government had summoned the political will to effect the relocation due to the hostility of the traders each time the relocation was contemplated.

However, Orji said that he made an electoral promise to relocate the market and has backed his promise with the needed political will hence the construction of the new market, comprising over 7, 000 lock up shops.

“I’m sure the people will be better for it. You will see the beauty of a state capital, Orji said, adding: “I’ll feel fulfilled once they (traders) move into this place”.

The governor said that no effort has been spared to make the condition in the modern Umuahia market very good for traders, as provisions were made for adequate water supply, fire station, banks, hospital, school, among other amenities. He also said that a lot of concessions have been made to the traders hence “they have no reason to complain” as the cost of acquiring a shop has been reduced.

Orji explained that payment for the allocation form has been reduced to N20,000, while allocation fee was pegged at N100, 000. After the relocation each trader would be required to pay N300, 000, which would be spread over four years, before they could take full ownership of their shops.

He said new traders, who did not have shops in the old market would pay N100,000 higher. “What government has in mind is not to make money. Money would come to government in the long run,” he said.

Meanwhile, the traders have said they were recording cases of stealing and shop breaking at Umuahia main market, according to a report by the News Agency of Nigeria.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Correspondent who monitored situation at the market on Friday gathered that because of the nearness of the relocation date, traders refused to pay the monthly security fee.

NAN learnt that the situation forced the security outfit securing the market to withdraw their services.

When contacted, the Chairman of Umuahia Main Market Amalgamated Traders Association (UMATS), Mr. Onyebuchi Ejidike, confirmed the reports of stealing at the market.
“Some traders actually reported that their goods were stolen as some whose shops were located along the railway line pulled-out their doors while packing out.
“Because of these rampant movements of traders out of the market, no one could predict what goes on in the market at night,” he said.

A trader who gave her name as Monica Mba told NAN that she lost three bags of stock fish worth more than N500, 000 following the breaking of her shop by criminals the previous night.
Another trader Onwuka Ikoh, who sold beverages said, “Criminals equally broke into my shop and carted undisclosed amount of goods.”

NAN recalled that Abia state government had fixed Sept.30, as the deadline for traders at Umuahia main market to relocate to Ubani-Ibeku.

This is in spite of the delay in the allocation of shops to prospective owner at the new market.
Ubani Ibeku is a community sharing boundary with Uzuakoli in Bende Local Government Area and it is about 10 kilometres to Umuahia.

Traders at Umuahia main market have been divided over their relocation to Ubani-Ibeku as some prefer to relocate to Onuimo, another market located in Obowo, a boundary community between Imo and Abia.
Hmmmm ......
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by toprealman: 4:05pm On Sep 29, 2013
These our politicians are very heartless. I am sure they have been to some organised market centres in developed countries, ie Trafford centre in Manchester-UK, Aventura mall in Florida-USA, etc.
From the pics,it is obvious that no single consideration was given to the safety of the traders not to mention that of the visitors.
What facilities did this dumb crack put in that shank of a marketplace to warrant tasking abians #300,000.
May chukwu okike fight for his people and put our enemies to flight!!!
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by okey777(m): 4:07pm On Sep 29, 2013
Just laughing;so he wants to relocate umuahia main market to his home town IBEKU,I have seen the market sha,is located along my school MICHAEL OKPARA FEDERAL UNIVERSITY,but where are those facilities he mentioned,i can see only diamond bank.Good 4 them,but 400k is much.
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by 3ace(m): 4:21pm On Sep 29, 2013
Orji explained that payment for the
allocation form has been reduced to
N20,000, while allocation fee was pegged at
N100, 000. After the relocation each trader
would be required to pay N300, 000, which
would be spread over four years, before
they could take full ownership of their
shops.
He said new traders, who did not have
shops in the old market would pay
N100,000 higher.
This appears to me like a good deal which should be applauded by well-meaning people of Abia State but I'm depressed because if this was issued by Lagos State government, you start to hear things like "it's made for the elites"
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by kommiejewel(f): 4:23pm On Sep 29, 2013
Mod,u get sense well well 4 quotin dat d traders 'are vry enthusiastic' nd hence 'hav no reason 2 complain. .wink. . Abeg T. A Orji,i can't wait for 2015 so u go finally comot. .

1 Like

Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by 3ace(m): 4:25pm On Sep 29, 2013
nwoko12: Make i give una the full gist T A orji didnt build any shop the shops were built by individuals and if u build 20 u give him 10 and the worst part is that the market was suited in a swamp and the whole of that new market u cant drill water cose there is no water in the soil the lower layer is rocky and now the road to the market is narrow is a one lane road and the market is surrounded by forest and not villages and he is insisting lemme ask u a question between the goverment and the peoplw who should build shop and the other goverment or the people my dear we are crying bitterly in umuahia i mean real crying let the news men invistigat what i wrote if its true or not
Maybe I will have to swallow my words then.
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by zaimeg: 4:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
ucyoma:

u r very much on point, am an Abian but d truth must be told. Abia sucks!!! What d idiot (T.A Orji ) has. succeeded in doing is to take Abia to lower level rather than higher level.

It is only in Abia u see cement being used to repair roads and black paint used to to colour it so it could look like coal-tar

Ikot ekpene road, umuahia. During his first tenure. I really had a good laugh.
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 29, 2013
nwoko12: Make i give una the full gist T A orji didnt build any shop the shops were built by individuals and if u build 20 u give him 10 and the worst part is that the market was suited in a swamp and the whole of that new market u cant drill water cose there is no water in the soil the lower layer is rocky and now the road to the market is narrow is a one lane road and the market is surrounded by forest and not villages and he is insisting lemme ask u a question between the goverment and the peoplw who should build shop and the other goverment or the people my dear we are crying bitterly in umuahia i mean real crying let the news men invistigat what i wrote if its true or not

My brother, now you guys are having a feel of what we have been experiencing in aba. I wonder what abians did that God had to punish them with this devil.
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 29, 2013
Ndi igbo, stop yabbing ur hardworking governor. If u dont like him, then vote for APC na.
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 29, 2013
WHY WAS THE NAIRALAND E- PROTEST THREAD CLOSED??
CHECK MY SIGNATURE.
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 29, 2013
TribalEAST: Ndi igbo, stop yabbing ur hardworking governor. If u dont like him, then vote for APC na.

His hardworking alright. He is hard at work packing his ghana must go bags. Na only God go punish that de.vil
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
shachris:

My brother, now you guys are having a feel of what we have been experiencing in aba. I wonder what abians did that God had to punish them with this devil.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by 3ace(m): 4:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
Meanwhile, the traders have said they were recording cases of stealing and shop
breaking at Umuahia main market,
according to a report by the News Agency
of Nigeria.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)
Correspondent who monitored situation at
the market on Friday gathered that because
of the nearness of the relocation date,
traders refused to pay the monthly security
fee.
NAN learnt that the situation forced the
security outfit securing the market to
withdraw their services.
I don't trust those security outfits especially those of them that are not renowned. They could be behind it to leave a statement that their presence shouldn't be taken for granted. I don witness am before.
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
Do you know what Umuahia means at all?

Be quiet abeg. angry angry
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by skyscraperTM(m): 4:38pm On Sep 29, 2013
Na wa o!
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva: As long as the market remains in Umuahia cos what's the use of calling a city Umuahia without the "Ahia". It will then become "Umu City".

Please!! Pronounce umuahia again as an Igbo person that I believe you are and tell me what the ahia sounds like. Does it sound like market to you. Its umuahia the last syllable is down not up. And Ahia means weaver bird atleast in the umuahia dialect and in the past before the place got that name it was a habitat for weaverbirds. That's how the place got its name, its not market oh! Except you are trying to rhyme ahia with ahia. Sorry for all the ahias I can't spell in Igbo on nairaland I have not learnt that.

3 Likes

Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 29, 2013
goldylock:

Please!! Pronounce umuahia again as an Igbo person that I believe you are and tell me what the ahia sounds like. Does it sound like market to you. Its umuahia the last syllable is down not up. And Ahia means weaver bird atleast in the umuahia dialect and in the past before the place got that name it was a habitat for weaverbirds. That's how the place got its name, its not market oh! Except you are trying to rhyme ahia with ahia. Sorry for all the ahias I can't spell in Igbo on nairaland I have not learnt that.
Afam bu onye igabaa obughi ezigbo nwamala igbo eji eme onu. Osisi oji mara bee nna ya adago kemgbe iri aro ato gara aga. Chukwu ubiama no n'igwe gozie gi otu isi wee mara ihe aha Igbo putara. Ichere na Afam ahutugo Nnunu ahu bu Ahia na ndu mbu?
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Desric(m): 4:53pm On Sep 29, 2013
photoshop, this man is so shameless, naive and myopic in his reasoning maybe he thinks everybody is as ignorant as he is.
why didn't they get a better view of the market and its environs? very unfortunate Abia state is still in the politics of deceiving self in the name of scoring cheap political points.
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 29, 2013
coldgate: Fresh breeze. Pls. what is obesity?

Obesity? Oh, thats when a girl is very fine. From today, you should always let it be known to all and sundry that you want to marry an extremely Obese chic.
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by malele(m): 5:01pm On Sep 29, 2013
Useless man, u want to relocate a market that is 78yrs old to another place. A market older than even him.
That is the road u should be repairing in aba.
Hopeless governor.
Worst governor since human existence
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 29, 2013
NDI IGBO grin grin grin
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by KA24DETT(m): 5:12pm On Sep 29, 2013
Why dont you kill him. Why do u guys have to wait till 2015? He will rig his man in and the looting continues
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 29, 2013
KA24DETT: Why dont you kill him. Why do u guys have to wait till 2015? He will rig his man in and the looting continues
vote APC. angry
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by yuncka: 5:26pm On Sep 29, 2013
Kudos 4 d relocation To a medi-structure sir, I also know dat U still hav thousands of tins 2 relocate.
But b4 U build anoda mediocre structure, pls relocate Ur brain 4rm Ur nyash back 2 Ur head.

2 Likes

Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Archildao: 5:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
FOLLEY20: That's a good move. It is a replica of what Gov. Mimiko has being doing in Ondo State now.

you can't compare these shops to Ondo State mordern markets.No basis for comparison at all.
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Kitpaul: 5:41pm On Sep 29, 2013
POLYTECHNIC LECTURERS TO RESUME NATIONWIDE STRIKE ON FRIDAY, 4th OCTOBER, 2013

The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) announced on Saturday that it has resolved to resume its suspended nationwide strike from next week, following failure of the Federal Government to fulfil its agreement with the union.

The union had been on several weeks of strike, but suspended it on 17 July, following the intervention of federal lawmakers in its negotiation with the Federal Government.

Read full details @<a href=http://www.liveschoolnews.com/polytechnic-lecturers-to-resume-nationwide-strike-on-friday-4th-october-2013/>http://www.liveschoolnews.com/polytechnic-lecturers-to-resume-nationwide-strike-on-friday-4th-october-2013/</a>
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by Kitpaul: 5:43pm On Sep 29, 2013
POLYTECHNIC LECTURERS TO RESUME NATIONWIDE STRIKE ON FRIDAY, 4th OCTOBER, 2013

The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) announced on Saturday that it has resolved to resume its suspended nationwide strike from next week, following failure of the Federal Government to fulfil its agreement with the union.

The union had been on several weeks of strike, but suspended it on 17 July, following the intervention of federal lawmakers in its negotiation with the Federal Government.

Read full details: http://www.liveschoolnews.com/polytechnic-lecturers-to-resume-nationwide-strike-on-friday-4th-october-2013/
Re: Orji To Relocate 78-year Umuahia Market by bonna4u(m): 6:01pm On Sep 29, 2013
Do you know that the retardeen of a governor is so reveling in his mediocrity. This he showed by calling this 'accident waiting to happen' an ultra modern market.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kogi Officials In Anambra To Learn Creative Governance Strategies / Anambra Rejects FG’s Emergency Rule Option, Says Killings Worse In APC States / Count Me Out Of Osun Debt Crisis – Aregbesola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.