Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,243 members, 7,953,920 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:55 AM

Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus (1023 Views)

Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage / Christians Must Choose Between Apostle Paul And Jesus Christ - Femi Aribisala / Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus by Techwriter: 12:38am On Sep 30, 2013
Talak! Talak! Talak! Talak is a simple word that can strike fear in the hearts of Muslim women. “Talak” is an Arabic word that initiates a separation between a husband and his wife. An Islamic divorce does not require a witness. Not even the agreement of the wife. The third time the husband utters the word “talak,” the divorce is considered acceptable and complete before God.
Even Joking about “Talak” Can Mean Divorce

In October 2010 a news story broke and quickly spread around the world of a Qatarian man who accidentally divorced his wife. The man jokingly said the word ‘Talak’ to his wife three times during a skype chat. The man later said that he had only been joking with his wife.

Nevertheless, the Darul Uloom Deoband School rejected the husband’s defense. The Indian school is an Islamic authority on religious law. “When you say 'talak' three times, it means talak has taken place. It does not matter whether the woman had agreed or not,” the school said. They went on to say that before she could re-marry her first husband she would have to do these things: She could not attend any celebrations or have social interaction for 90 days. After that, marry another man. Then divorce the man. And then have another 90 day period of abstinence.
What Does Marriage Mean In Islam

What is the true meaning of marriage according Islam? What does it mean when a man can so easily divorce his wife by saying “Talak” three times? Clearly, it’s evident that a woman does not have the same rights as a man. Every wife is forced to accept that at any moment, her husband may choose to divorce her.

There are only a few verses in the Quran that defend the rights of women. But there are many verses that support a husband’s ability to divorce his wife. What’s more, a husband may take another woman as a second, third, or fourth wife!
The New Testament’s Great Respect for Marriage

The New Testament highly respects marriage. Someone that follows Jesus is only permitted to marry one woman. Divorce is restricted to cases of adultery or physical harm. The New Testament sees marriage as each partner giving themselves fully to each other. So much that they are spiritually considered as “one flesh.” This teaching of Jesus can be found in Matthew 19:5-6.

The goal of marriage for the follower of Jesus is not merely to meet human needs. The New Testament states that a woman is to submit to her husband just as her husband submits to God. A husband must also cherish and treat his wife exactly like he would treat himself.

The New Testament insists that a husband treat his wife in the same way that Jesus treats his people. Just as Jesus gave himself up for us (not even sparing death), a husband is meant to give himself up for his wife also sparing nothing. “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless" (Ephesians 5:25-27).

The above reference from the New Testament emphasizes that Jesus gives himself for those who give themselves fully to him. Jesus gives us a model for marriage. In order to have a happy and successful home, we need to receive the security and love that Jesus offers each of us.

God loves you and wants a personal relationship with you. He wants to give you the gift of salvation. If you are interested in the comfort and security of knowing that your sins are forgiven, and you will live forever in heaven, then visit us on the web at www.isaandislam.com.

"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'" (John 14:16).

Source: http://www.isaandislam.com/miscellaneous-questions/divorce-and-marriage-according-to-islam-and-jesus.html
Re: Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus by Deen4me(m): 5:59am On Sep 30, 2013
Sensationalism at its best.

This is the characteristics of Christians, desperate and pathetic. undecided

Always avoid quoting source of your claims and what Islam actually teaches.

You guys never get tired of peddling lies and half truths to smear Islam.

You try and spit at the sun but your spittle will come back to you.

They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah refuses except to perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it. Quran 9:32

1 Like

Re: Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus by ajoguegbe(m): 7:56am On Sep 30, 2013
Reserved
Re: Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 30, 2013
Deen4me: Sensationalism at its best.

This is the characteristics of Christians, desperate and pathetic. undecided

Always avoid quoting source of your claims and what Islam actually teaches.

You guys never get tired of peddling lies and half truths to smear Islam.

You try and spit at the sun but your spittle will come back to you.

They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah refuses except to perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it. Quran 9:32

Why don't you point out the flaws in what he said instead of quoting quranic verses that don't mean anything to non muslims?
Re: Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus by Deen4me(m): 8:32am On Sep 30, 2013
Women's Right In Islam

Kindly take note that a woman in Islam can be all of the following and enjoy all the benefits and honor they bring.

she may be a wife, a daughter, a mother, a sister, an aunt, so she may be honoured in all these ways.

Mothers

1 )"We have enjoined on man kindness to his parents; in pain did his mother bear him, and in pain did she give him birth" (46:15)

2 )"Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor. And out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: ‘My Lord! bestow on them Thy Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood' "(17:23-24)

3 ). The Prophet Muhammad said, PBUH: Your Heaven lies under the feet of your mother (Ahmad, Nasai).

4 ). A man came to the Prophet and said, ‘O Messenger of God! Who among the people is the most worthy of my good companionship?
The Prophet said: Your mother. The man said, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man further asked,
‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man asked again, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your father. (Bukhari, Muslim)

Wives

“and live with them honourably” [Quran 4:19]

“And they (women) have rights similar (to those of their husbands) over them to what is reasonable,
but men have a degree (of responsibility) over them. And Allaah is All-Mighty, All-Wise” [al-Baqarah 2:228]

And the Prophet (PBUH) said: “I urge you to treat women well.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 331; Muslim, 1468.

And the Prophet (PBUH) said: “The best of you is the one who is best to his wife, and I am the best of you to my wives.”
Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3895

Daughters

The Prophet (PBUH) said: “Whoever takes care of two girls until they reach adulthood,
he and I will come like this on the Day of Resurrection,” and he held his fingers together.
Narrated by Muslim, 2631.

Ibn Maajah (3669) narrated that ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah
(PBUH) say: “Whoever has three daughters and is patient towards them, and feeds them,
gives them to drink and clothes them from his riches, they will be a shield for him from the Fire on the Day of Resurrection.”
Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah

1 Like

Re: Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus by Deen4me(m): 9:50am On Sep 30, 2013
NL member:

Why don't you point out the flaws in what he said instead of quoting quranic verses that don't mean anything to non muslims?

Thank you My brother for your response, but i must correct your notion. You dont expect me to quote from any other book other than the Quran.

Its the major source of guidance for muslims. And as such we need to have an open mind about Islam's Source and not muslims.

Instead of looking at what muslims do , look at what islam (Quran) says before making your judgement.

Man by nature is prone to mistakes , but Allah (God) can never make mistakes.

And it was not [possible] for this Qur'an to be produced by other than Allah ,
but [it is] a confirmation of what was before it and a detailed explanation of the [former] Scripture,
about which there is no doubt, from the Lord of the worlds. [Q 10 :37]

Now back to the topic at hand......

Re: Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 30, 2013
Deen4me:

Thank you My brother for your response, but i must correct your notion. You dont expect me to quote from any other book other than the Quran.

Its the major source of guidance for muslims. And as such we need to have an open mind about Islam's Source and not muslims.

Instead of looking at what muslims do , look at what islam (Quran) says before making your judgement.

Man by nature is prone to mistakes , but Allah (God) can never make mistakes.

And it was not [possible] for this Qur'an to be produced by other than Allah ,
but [it is] a confirmation of what was before it and a detailed explanation of the [former] Scripture,
about which there is no doubt, from the Lord of the worlds. [Q 10 :37]

Now back to the topic at hand......

Are you shiite or sunni?
Re: Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus by Deen4me(m): 12:14pm On Sep 30, 2013
NL member:

Are you shiite or sunni?

May I ask why you ask ?

And how does it affects the above discussion ?

1 Like

Re: Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 30, 2013
Deen4me:

May I ask why you ask ?

And how does it affects the above discussion ?

I was just curious that's all.

I have seen your topics in the Islam section and you appear to be a shiite.
Re: Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus by Deen4me(m): 2:15pm On Sep 30, 2013
NL member:

I was just curious that's all.

I have seen your topics in the Islam section and you appear to be a shiite.

I am tempted to ask you to educate me on, how you were able to deduce I am shia from my previous posts, but I don't want to derail the thread.
Re: Divorce And Marriage According To Islam And Jesus by Deen4me(m): 2:42pm On Sep 30, 2013
Techwriter:
The New Testament highly respects marriage. Someone that follows Jesus is only permitted to marry one woman. Divorce is restricted to cases of adultery or physical harm. The New Testament sees marriage as each partner giving themselves fully to each other. So much that they are spiritually considered as “one flesh.” This teaching of Jesus can be found in Matthew 19:5-6.

Polygamy : a system of marriage whereby one person has more than one spouse

Polygyny : where a man marries more than one woman (Allowed in Islam)

Polyandry : where a woman marries more than one man (Not Allowed in Islam)

Lets look at the facts:

1 Islam did not introduce polygyny

Moses 2 wives (Exodus 2:21 , Numbers 12:1)
Abraham at least three wives (Genesis 16:3 ,Genesis 25: 1-5)
David -12 Wives , 3 Concubines (1 Samuel 18:27 ,1 Chronicles 3 1-5)
Solomon 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 kings 11:3 ,Songs 6:8 2 Kings 10:1)

2 : The Qur'an is the only religious scripture in the world that says, 'marry only one'

"Then marry those that please you of women
two or three or four.
but if you fear you will not be just, then (marry only) one " Q 4:3

3. Polygyny protects the interests of women and children in society.
It requires men to spend on their additional wives and their offspring.

The Prophet(PBUH) says,
“When a man has two wives and he is inclined to one of them, (i.e favors one over the other materially and time wise)
he will come on the Day of resurrection with a side hanging down(paralyzed)” Abu Dawud

4.Only a minority (10-15 %) of Muslims practice polygyny because of additional financial and
psychological burdens of handling more than one family.

(1) (Reply)

Religous War. Nigeria And The Curse Of Tokunbo Religions / Baptism In Brotherhood Of The Cross And Star / What Is The Good News ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.