Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,119 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched (58341 Views)

Gov. Fashola Unveils The Tallest Hotel In West Africa In Lagos (PHOTOS) / World Tallest Hotel Set To Be Opened In Dubai (photos) / The Ritz-carlton Hong Kong: The World's Tallest Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 01, 2013
Decryptor: You googled hotels in the UK and hurriedly typed in the bolded to claim you spent a night there. And yet, you MISPELT the name of the Hotel as Grovesnor instead of Grosvenor! It is either you are a learner that cannot remember the name of the hotel you claim you spent the night in or you are a liar like most of my yoruba brothers who are usually known for chest-beating and loud-mouthed boasting!

I laugh in swahili... hi ha he ho

2 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nate7even: Just ignore them you don't have to prove it to them

He will be in trouble if he doesnt prove to us that he studied in UK and slept in Grosvenor for only one night.... Hehehe.

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 01, 2013
Trail ii: haba..... Pls fear God nao.... 9 month in a 4 star hotel in dubai? Oboy uno sabi lie.

Everybody no dey thesame level for naija oo. My friend and hin papa stay 2months for dubai hotel too.

Me i neva see hotel sef...

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by mbulela: 1:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
okpara ugo:

Seriously, Nigerians are not creative people. I observe a lot of businessmen. Once they have made some money, their investments dont exceed HOTELS and FUELLING STATIONS.
How can you blame them?
The returns are guaranteed and often legit.
Why should anyone willingly suffer himself. Only a sadist does such.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by mbulela: 1:17pm On Oct 01, 2013
kabaka1:

U know there's nothing like being in ur hotel room n look out thru ur window become enchanted by what u see thru ur window.
Also d scenery people see thru d window of their hotel rooms is one major way that they can feel d soul n spirit of d city they're in.
I agree with you up to a point. The fact is that most of the hotel customers in lagos are here for business and not pleasure,so the scenery does not matter as much as safety and proximity to business centre. They want to be close to the MNCs they are visiting for business purposes so that they are not trapped in traffci and miss their meetings. Besides going back to your hotel room after 9pm meetings is no big deal. Try heading back to your 5 star hotels in those mainland areas after dark.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by em6280: 1:18pm On Oct 01, 2013
Effwazobia: Goodness, what is all the fuss about one hotel? This shows how backwards we are. We are just used to mediocrity. One hotel, and una dey shout all over the place. Go to the civilized world and see how many hotels like that they have in ONE CITY, let alone the state (lets not even talk about the country as a whole). We have got to do better folks. Take Chicago for instant, on Michigan avenue (or less than one mile from Michigan avenue), there are over 20 of such hotels. Mind you Chicago is a city, and not even a state. Note that this pattern is consistent throughout the cities in the US and in the western world. Make una wake up Jare, we no get anything in Niger. Literally, screw this one hotel, I ain't impressed. Honestly, we have got to start travelling more. I am not talking about travelling to Cotonuo

Hey. I think its best to celebrate what we have NOW.. We must not wait for a "plethora" of hotels to pop UP... to start celebrating.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
okpara ugo:

Seriously, Nigerians are not creative people. I observe a lot of businessmen. Once they have made some money, their investments dont exceed HOTELS and FUELLING STATIONS.

I think you used the word "businessmen" too loosely. Most of them are criminals who made easy money and prefer to tie it down in 'safe' and 'passive' investments like real estate. From the shadowy drug barons in Festac Town, to the bureaucrats in Alausa, to the politicians in Abuja, to the oil industry profiteers in the Niger Delta, to the fraudulent bankers and government contractors nationwide, and all their numerous cohorts collaborators, and cronies. . . .they all have one thing in common - easy money. Easy, ill-gotten money.

This explains what Pat Utomi aptly referred to the "jobless growth economy" Nigeria seems to be experiencing. Too much ill-gotten wealth is circulating lopsidedly in the system, and sadly, these monies are not channeled towards real, value-adding investments that create jobs and stimulate trickle-down prosperity across board. Not when the preferred investment for most of the thieves I mentioned above is hotels and useless luxury real estate projects that add no value to majority of the populace.

By the way, only naive suckers would believe that foreigners or foreign conglomerates would come into Nigeria to tie down their money in Nigerian real estate. Most of the hotels, malls, luxury apartments, etc. parading themselves as foreign-owned are actually owned by shadowy Nigerian rogues - mostly politically exposed persons and their businessmen fronts (notably slimy characters like the Chagoury brothers, for Bola Tinubu). They might as well invest more in productive ventures that enhance the standard of living or quality of life of a greater number of people. If you steal from the poor in order to help the poor, your sins might be forgivable after all. But when you steal from the poor in order to intimidate and oppress the poor with your vainglorious opulence, then a time bomb is waiting to explode.

It just goes to show how selfish and contemptuous of the masses they are to keep investing in luxury sectors to satiate the already over-indulged hedonistic cravings of a mere 0.001% of wealthy Nigerians and expartriates. This country desperately needs deliverance, and I don't mean the T.B Joshua sort.

2 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Katsumoto: 1:28pm On Oct 01, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I take it you live in the UK. So I understand your POV grin

I have lived in both the UK and the US. I have spent the last 8 years living in hotels.

Trust me, US hotels are nothing compared with European hotels.

US Chains such as Marriott and Hilton have better standards in Europe and Asia.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by mbulela: 1:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
pro01:

I think you used the word "businessmen" too loosely. Most of them are criminals who made easy money and want to tie it down in real estate. From the shadowy drug barons in Festac Town, to the bureaucrats in Alausa, to the politicians in Abuja, to the oil industry profiteers in the Niger Delta, to the fraudulent bankers and government contractors nationwide, and all their numerous cohorts collaborators, and cronies. . . .they all have one thing in common - easy money. Easy, ill-gotten money.

This explains what Pat Utomi aptly referred to the "jobless growth economy" Nigeria seems to be experiencing. Too much ill-gotten wealth is circulating lopsidedly in the system, and sadly, these monies are not channeled towards real, value-adding investments that create jobs and stimulate trickle-down prosperity across board. Not when the preferred investment for most of the thieves I mentioned above is hotels and useless luxury real estate projects that add no value to majority of the populace.

By the way, only naive suckers would believe that foreigners or foreign conglomerates would come into Nigeria to tie down their money in Nigerian real estate. Most of the hotels, malls, luxury apartments, etc. parading themselves as foreign-owned are actually owned by shadowy Nigerian rogues - mostly politically exposed persons and their businessmen fronts (notably slimy characters like the Chagoury brothers, for Bola Tinubu). They might as well invest more in productive ventures that enhance the standard of living or quality of life of a greater number of people. If you steal from the poor in order to help the poor, your sins might be forgivable after all. But when you steal from the poor in order to intimidate and oppress the poor with your vainglorious opulence, then a time bomb is waiting to explode.

It just goes to show how selfish and contemptuous of the masses they are to keep investing in luxury sectors to satiate the already over-indulged hedonistic cravings of a mere 0.001% of wealthy Nigerians and expartriates. This country desperately needs deliverance, and I don't mean the T.B Joshua sort.

You make it hard for yourself by using Tinubu as an example.
Any proof that he owns any of these hotels? Besides you make a good point but i still insist that folks will open hotels as long as their is a market for it. I know that it is easier for shadowy characters but that does not mean that proper businessmen are not opening hotels.
I am not a fan of the man,btw.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 1:40pm On Oct 01, 2013
mbulela:

You make it hard for yourself by using Tinubu as an example.
Any proof that he owns any of these hotels? Besides you make a good point but i still insist that folks will open hotels as long as their is a market for it. I know that it is easier for shadowy characters but that does not mean that proper businessmen are not opening hotels.
I am not a fan of the man,btw.

Do you have proof that IBB stole money while in office? And Abdulsalam? And Obasanjo, and just about any other past or present political or public office holder and private sector crook still alive (apart from the convicted ones that we can count with less than five fingers)?

As long as some of you adopt this deceptive attitude of "show me proof", which is quite insulting to our collective intelligence, then Nigeria is not really ready to do away with corruption. The fact that someone is a smart thief who expertly covers his tracks does not make him any less of a thief.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by mbulela: 1:45pm On Oct 01, 2013
pro01:

Do you have proof that IBB stole money while in office? And Abdulsalam? And Obasanjo, and just about any other past or present political or public office holder and private sector crook still alive (apart from the convicted ones that we can count with less than five fingers)?

As long as some of you adopt this deceptive attitude of "show me proof", which is quite insulting to our collective intelligence, then Nigeria is not really ready to do away with corruption. The fact that someone is a smart thief who expertly covers his tracks does not make him any less of a thief.
don't get it twisted.
I am talking about proof that he owns any of the hotels in question.
The thieving issue can be discussed elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by BrosPeter: 2:56pm On Oct 01, 2013
Katsumoto:

I have lived in both the UK and the US. [size=14pt]I have spent the last 8 years living in hotels.[/size]

I can let you stay in one of my houses in lagos for free. You don't have to live in hotels, leave your email I'll see what I can do.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Katsumoto: 3:08pm On Oct 01, 2013
Bros Peter:

I can let you stay in one of my houses in lagos for free. You don't have to live in hotels, leave your email I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the offer but I don't live in Lagos and I do it for work.

You 'll actually let a stranger live in your house for free? Whats the catch? grin grin grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 01, 2013
Katsumoto:

You 'll actually let a stranger live in your house for free? Whats the catch? grin grin grin

free food and housing in return for a fee ransom

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Sagamite(m): 3:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
oyb:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Katsumoto: 3:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
oyb:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 01, 2013
oyb:

Are u saying he is a kidnapper

I wanted to accept the offer cos I'm in need of house in lag.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by adconline(m): 6:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
nrd_geek:

We need facts and figures here. We cannot just continue to brag and lay claims from our imaginations or throw numbers from our bum.

Hôtel du 2 Février in Lomé, Togo: 36 floors, standing at 102m (Note that wikipedia still requests for a citation for the buildings height)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_du_2_Fevrier

Intercontinental Lagos: 23-storey, 100 metres high
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/west-africa-s-tallest-hotel-intercontinental-lagos-opens/149822/

You are on long thing.. Naija is allergic to facts and figures!
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by mbulela: 9:19pm On Oct 01, 2013
Katsumoto:

Does the word kidnapping sound familiar? grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by CGKing(m): 11:00pm On Oct 01, 2013
Tall and fugly
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by CGKing(m): 11:04pm On Oct 01, 2013
This is what u call hotel

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by mbulela: 8:58am On Oct 02, 2013
CGKing: This is what u call hotel
Rubbish. so every other hotel apart from these that you posted up there are not hotels?
Besides, a hotel is much more than a fanciful building. Have you being in any of these and sampled their services? Or you just copied from google and posted it here?
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by kabaka1: 12:11pm On Oct 02, 2013
mbulela:
I agree with you up to a point. The fact is that most of the hotel customers in lagos are here for business and not pleasure,so the scenery does not matter as much as safety and proximity to business centre. They want to be close to the MNCs they are visiting for business purposes so that they are not trapped in traffci and miss their meetings. Besides going back to your hotel room after 9pm meetings is no big deal. Try heading back to your 5 star hotels in those mainland areas after dark.

I think u have a good point here, but let me hint 2 u that d definition of pleasure can be very broad, but in this context, let me just limit d meaning of pleasure as something that relaxes or calms u down. Eg, do know that same way that la music track u listen 2 can make 2 feel relaxed/calm or happy, looking at a picture, work of art or landscape scenery can give also give same effect as music or anything that gives u pleasure or makes u to feel calm or relaxed.
K, do u know why houses in highrise complexes in places like Manhattan or New York are really expensive? because real estate agents advertise those high rise complexes as "a complex with a view," because they know that most people derive great pleasure from viewing an interesting landscape scenery from their window, so they'd pay anything 2 live in a complex with an interesting scenery when they look out through their window.
With my points above, u can agree with me that hotel guests can also derive great pleasure being in hotel rooms that has an interesting scenery when they look thru their hotel room windows and enjoy d lanscape scenery that they see. Infact, an interesting landscape scenery can make them feel more calm n relaxed b4 or after they attend to their business obligations 4 d day n this feeling can help to boost their productivity 4 d day.

Though, hotel guest might not obviously tell u that they enjoy staying in hotels with an interesting scenery, but hoteliers should know that a good scenery is part if d psychological package that makes a hotel room worth staying in grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by mbulela: 1:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
kabaka1:

I think u have a good point here, but let me hint 2 u that d definition of pleasure can be very broad, but in this context, let me just limit d meaning of pleasure as something that relaxes or calms u down. Eg, do know that same way that la music track u listen 2 can make 2 feel relaxed/calm or happy, looking at a picture, work of art or landscape scenery can give also give same effect as music or anything that gives u pleasure or makes u to feel calm or relaxed.
K, do u know why houses in highrise complexes in places like Manhattan or New York are really expensive? because real estate agents advertise those high rise complexes as "a complex with a view," because they know that most people derive great pleasure from viewing an interesting landscape scenery from their window, so they'd pay anything 2 live in a complex with an interesting scenery when they look out through their window.
With my points above, u can agree with me that hotel guests can also derive great pleasure being in hotel rooms that has an interesting scenery when they look thru their hotel room windows and enjoy d lanscape scenery that they see. Infact, an interesting landscape scenery can make them feel more calm n relaxed b4 or after they attend to their business obligations 4 d day n this feeling can help to boost their productivity 4 d day.

Though, hotel guest might not obviously tell u that they enjoy staying in hotels with an interesting scenery, but hoteliers should know that a good scenery is part if d psychological package that makes a hotel room worth staying in grin
As a hotel guest,I'll make do with the scenery of V/I and Ikoyi instead of that of Mushin and Surulere.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by naptu2: 1:53pm On Oct 02, 2013
Hence Eko Hotel = Ocean View or City View.

Intercontinental Hotel = Ocean View or Creek View.

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by kabaka1: 2:54am On Oct 03, 2013
mbulela:
As a hotel guest,I'll make do with the scenery of V/I and Ikoyi instead of that of Mushin and Surulere.

Thats exactly what i'm saying....hotels in Mushin n Surulere have lost a dear hotel guest like u n these cities have lost n are bound to lose more hotel guests who would have contributed to the growth of their local economy just by staying in hotels in their cities, but they have unfortunately lost them because of the deplorable n uninspiring landscape scenery of their cities.

This is why these cities can only compete with VI n Ikoyi for good hotels locations if only they can invest in replanning their city landscape n scenery
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by CGKing(m): 12:51am On Oct 05, 2013
mbulela:
Rubbish. so every other hotel apart from these that you posted up there are not hotels?
Besides, a hotel is much more than a fanciful building. Have you being in any of these and sampled their services? Or you just copied from google and posted it here?

Am just saying that inspite of the potential we have in Nigeria, we seem to settle for substandards. Why would they allow the tallest hotel in Africa to be that ugly? All over the world, when a first is being done, they give it the best in all perspective of that idea, including its look and appeal. Just like the tallest hotel at sea in Dubai.

I just think ppl generally feel we are not worth the best. The only iconic structure that Nigeria can hold as pride is the national arts theatre. Asides that, nothing else. They just do it the cheapest driest way possible.

I mean, what stops us from having an airport like this? After they will end up spending more that it costs.

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by CGKing(m): 12:52am On Oct 05, 2013
Or like ths

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Horus(m): 4:29pm On Oct 05, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWzGnL0J_fA

[size=15pt]Intercontinental Hotel Lagos[/size]
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by AjanleKoko: 6:58pm On Oct 05, 2013
mbulela:

Hehehehe. Kinda reminds me of the Park Plaza, Noida. Plush 5-star, right next to a couple of really rundown buildings grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by AjanleKoko: 7:34pm On Oct 05, 2013
CGKing:

Am just saying that inspite of the potential we have in Nigeria, we seem to settle for substandards. Why would they allow the tallest hotel in Africa to be that ugly? All over the world, when a first is being done, they give it the best in all perspective of that idea, including its look and appeal. Just like the tallest hotel at sea in Dubai.

I just think ppl generally feel we are not worth the best. The only iconic structure that Nigeria can hold as pride is the national arts theatre. Asides that, nothing else. They just do it the cheapest driest way possible.

I mean, what stops us from having an airport like this? After they will end up spending more that it costs.

I don't think we have construction companies in Nigeria that can build structures like that. And frankly, I don't care, so long as we can build public structures that are very functional, safe, and maintainable. The grandiose stuff can wait till we're more mature and responsible as a nation.

Cost is a different matter entirely. Cost of any infrastructure project would be more expensive in Nigeria than most places anyways, since we don't make any of the raw materials here. That is, without considering the corruption factor.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by esere826: 8:16am On Oct 06, 2013
I can't believe that some folks are utilizing google and wikipedia as the tool to establish that
the intercontinental hotel building in Lagos is 'certainly' the tallest in this part of the world

,,yeahh, it is apparently one of the tallest,
-but I dont expect the hotel owners and the state government to be the best source for naming theirs the tallest building
-if the original aim of the builder was to create the tallest structure for sure, they should have made it more obvious my making it much taller

I think the tag of the building as the tallest is a bragging, marketing induced aftertought
(not a bad infrastructure sha)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Female Passenger Died On Our Flight JUST NOW / Italian Man Shares A Picture He Took With His Family In Onitsha In 1977-Pictures / Cow Causes Accident In Abuja, Nigeria’s Capital City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.