Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,203 members, 7,822,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched (58361 Views)

Gov. Fashola Unveils The Tallest Hotel In West Africa In Lagos (PHOTOS) / World Tallest Hotel Set To Be Opened In Dubai (photos) / The Ritz-carlton Hong Kong: The World's Tallest Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by russianmob27: 7:22pm On Sep 30, 2013
q
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by naptu2: 7:27pm On Sep 30, 2013
I've already started counting down to the unveiling of the next hotel - the Transcorp Hilton on Glover Road Ikoyi.

I'm hoping that it will take the place of Ikoyi Hotel in my heart.

(O Ikoyi Hotel cry sob. Ikoyi Hotel! Videomart, suya. O Ikoyi Hotel cry )
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by ba7man(m): 7:30pm On Sep 30, 2013
pro01: A massive N30b ($200m) 'investment' created a paltry 650 jobs?

Besides, who patronises these overpriced 'luxury' hotels for pete's sake? I'm sure they are not "tourists" as the state government deludedly advertises. There are already too many of these vanity projects in Lagos, and I don't see how we need more.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for the thieves who finance these white elephants (whilst hiding behind the facade of foreign partners) to consider channeling their loot towards more productive investments - that would have a greater impact on the state's development and benefit a greater number of ordinary people.. . .in terms of job creation and otherwise.
And you wonder why your State looks like a big Village.

If only you'd think harder, you'll realize that there are thousand more jobs that are tied to the daily operations of this hotel........Let me help you out.....The cabs that will service the Hotel, The Food delivery, Drinks that will be purchased.....

3 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by phil5(m): 7:30pm On Sep 30, 2013
Okay
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by eaglechild: 7:34pm On Sep 30, 2013

Besides, who patronises these overpriced 'luxury' hotels for pete's sake? I'm sure they are not "tourists" as the state government deludedly advertises. There are already too many of these vanity projects in Lagos, and I don't see how we need more.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for the thieves who finance these white elephants (whilst hiding behind the facade of foreign partners) to consider channeling their loot towards more productive investments - that would have a greater impact on the state's development and benefit a greater number of ordinary people.. . .in terms of job creation and otherwise.
Well spoken.
You will see how some brainless peeps will label you a hater now, just wait and see.

3 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 30, 2013
Very nice indeed. Gradually, Lagos is turning into a world-class tourist destination. In fact, Lagos could become the luxury hotel capital of West Africa! Having said that, I share Berem's sentiment that more 3-4 star hotels should be sited in the mainland; abi dem dey fear agbero? grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by ucyoma(m): 7:34pm On Sep 30, 2013
is building such edifice d paramount problem facing Lagos now??
Naija @53 indeed!!!

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 30, 2013
Rossikk: I've been all over and believe me, foreign hotels are over rated. Most are no better or worse than their Nigerian counterparts.

Seconded, Foreign hotels are over rated

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 30, 2013
naptu2: I've already started counting down to the unveiling of the next hotel - the Transcorp Hilton on Glover Road Ikoyi.

I'm hoping that it will take the place of Ikoyi Hotel in my heart.

(O Ikoyi Hotel cry sob. Ikoyi Hotel! Videomart, suya. O Ikoyi Hotel cry )

Those were the good old days smiley
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by eazzzy1(m): 7:38pm On Sep 30, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by lastpage: 7:40pm On Sep 30, 2013
berem: So many high brow hotels located at the island. What happened to places like Oshodi, Ojota, Surulere etc? Do i see a disparity between the rich and poor? We need more of such hotels at the mainland too.

Nice edifice anyway! cool

Haaaaaa, this type of Hotel in Oshodi or "Moon-shine"? grin grin

There are enough "Hotels" in those places already .... as in you know now, "Short Stays" wink wink

Oshodi people no like this type of expensive shyte, they just want where they can breeze-in, do their thingy for two hours and zap-off.
You would remember that one wey "Oga Commissioner" of Police go pkheme for, ....at Ikorodu now.
that is the kind "ten stars" they like over there.

Each area with its own style and modus operandi. wink wink wink

Lastpage!

BTW: While some are "divesting" from Lagos, others are pouring "foreign cash" and investing more in Lagos!

Net Result = Lagos No Shaking, go-on soun
. **winks**winks***

2 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Systeme101: 7:43pm On Sep 30, 2013
ADO ok!....i hop d foundation is solid?
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Smooyis(m): 7:45pm On Sep 30, 2013
Eko for show!
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by naptu2: 7:53pm On Sep 30, 2013
berem: So many high brow hotels located at the island. What happened to places like Oshodi, Ojota, Surulere etc? Do i see a disparity between the rich and poor? We need more of such hotels at the mainland too.

Nice edifice anyway! cool

Sheraton Hotel Ikeja, Lagos Hilton Hotel Ikeja, Protea Hotel Ikeja, Golden Tulip Hotel Festac, etc.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by omiobo: 7:55pm On Sep 30, 2013

Guy,u don't know what is going in lagos. My coy is into such investments. Do you know much people spend on rents and hotels on island. Don't stay in Dopemu and call that a vanity project. From your post I can see you lack exposure.

4 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by claremont(m): 7:55pm On Sep 30, 2013
Hotels in Nigeria are notoriously overpriced when compared to their counterparts in better developed climes. The hotels argue that their sky-high prices are due to the tortuous nature of working in Nigeria, especially with respect to the abysmal lack of basic infrastructure; but still, I don't understand why I have to pay the equivalent of £200 for a night in a so-called 5-star hotel in Nigeria. A hotel in the UK providing the exact same service (or even better) costs an average of £50 to £100/night.

4 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by omiobo: 7:55pm On Sep 30, 2013

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 30, 2013
Waaat....
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by eaglechild: 7:58pm On Sep 30, 2013
gboss4sure:

Seconded, Foreign hotels are over rated
I'll go with over priced given the different standard of living.
In recent times however, it may surprise you that Lagos hotels are becoming rated as some of the most expensive.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Ammyng(f): 7:58pm On Sep 30, 2013
SLIDE waxie: hehehehe: one hater down, more to go!

More like one wise man. That comment made a lot of sense if you have sense of reasoning. I am not a Nigerian though.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by ojabel(m): 8:00pm On Sep 30, 2013
Rossikk: It is not the only five star hotel in Nigeria.

Name another one?
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by jayblinx(m): 8:01pm On Sep 30, 2013
solapex: Kazeem Ugbodaga
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos today unveiled the tallest hotel in West Africa, Intercontinental Lagos, built at a cost of N30 billion.
The hotel located at Kofo Abayomi Street, Victoria Island, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria is a 23-storey building containing 358 rooms and 37 suites and a Presidential suite.
The Intercontinental Lagos, a subsidiary of the Intercontinental Hotel Group, IHG, is owned by the Milan Group.
Unveiling the 5-star hotel, Fashola said the edifice would surely boost the hospitality and tourism industry in the state, while urging other entrepreneurs to look inward and invest their money in hotels and public utilities such as roads.

Fashola at the official opening of Intercontinental Hotel in Lagos
According to him, the unveiling of the hotel represented the increasing brands of hotels making Nigeria their choice destinations, saying that the tourism industry would be boosted by the new edifice.
“The tourism business is the major sector that creates jobs but sadly, this sector faces lots of challenges across the continent. The Lagos State Government is committed to providing the enabling environment,” he said.
Fashola harped on collection of consumption tax and urged hotels and other in the hospitality business to help the government to collect the tax for developmental purpose.
“Consumption taxes are not levied on hotels but on consumers. The role of hotel is to collect the tax and give it to us. It is by collecting this taxes that you empower us to provide schools, public utilities and others,” he stated.
Chairman, Milan Group, Ramesh Valechha said the hotel would change the landscape of Lagos and boost the hospitality industry in the state.
He disclosed that Memorandum of Understanding for the project was signed on 31 March, 2004 while it took two years to complete the design work before the conceptualisation of the project began.
He stated that the Lagos State Government, Skye Bank and Wema Bank were supportive of the project.
Valechha disclosed the building of the hotel cost over N30 billion while 650 jobs were created for Nigerians.
Regional General Manager, IHG, Africa, Karl Hala said the hotel is the leading hotel in Nigeria, saying the group had 170 Intercontinental Hotels in 60 countries of the world.
He described the unveiling of the hotel in Lagos as a significant milestone in the hospitality industry, adding that the group also had 20 Intercontinental Hotels in Africa and that the hotel was the only 5-star hotel in Nigeria.
Chief Executive Officer, Design Group, Bayo Odunlami said it took lots of challenging moment in the design and conceptualization of the project, saying he was happy that the group overcame the hurdles.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/09/29/fashola-unveils-west-africas-tallest-hotel-in-lagos/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PmNewsNigeria+%28PM+News+Nigeria%29

boss u just lied....wat eva hotel mr fashola built isnt the tallest hotel in west africa....Hotel 2 fervrier in lome togo has 36 storeys...and has the record of the tallest...dont come here and deceive any1....if u want to b sure...use google or check the other post on lome togo and see dat tall building wit sumtn lyk an ''X'' on top....i live in togo

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Reference(m): 8:02pm On Sep 30, 2013

Dunno bout dis but which oda one na?
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by gbokukueba(m): 8:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
Rossikk: I've been all over and believe me, foreign hotels are over rated. Most are no better or worse than their Nigerian counterparts.

I will not disagree with the first part of your point but the second part i think hotels in Nigeria are hastily rated... imagine Golde Tulip saying its a 4star hotel... i lived in a 4 star hotel in Dubai for 9months its can compete with the so called 5 star hotels in Nigeria...
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by PAT4HOT(m): 8:10pm On Sep 30, 2013
It can nt b d only five star hotel in Nigeria. Is it as serene as the Le Meridian Hotel & Golf resort?
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 30, 2013
gbokukueba:

I will not disagree with the first part of your point but the second part i think hotels in Nigeria are hastily rated... imagine Golde Tulip saying its a 4star hotel... i lived in a 4 star hotel in Dubai for 9months its can compete with the so called 5 star hotels in Nigeria...
Confirmed big boy grin

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Decryptor(m): 8:17pm On Sep 30, 2013
Another White Elephant project
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by bakynes(m): 8:21pm On Sep 30, 2013
Many Haters of Lagos on this thread (My Eastern brothers sorry). As for those saying this hotel isn't the only 5-star hotel, Nigeria doesn't have any 5-star hotel from International rating nt even Transcorp hIlton Abuja,Sheraton hotel lagos,Orientals hotel lagos,protea hotel lagos,Eko hotels etc. As for the ones in the UK I was priviledge to stay a night in a 5-star hotel called Grovesnor Hotel off Hyde park,London and I most say the service was fantastic u are treated like a king or Queen (seriously). So its nt only abt the edifice,the service matters too. Eko o ni bajeeeeeeeeee

2 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Sagamite(m): 8:22pm On Sep 30, 2013

You are a fcking reetard!

Stop making outrageous claims as you most likely have never left Nigeria talkless of being all over. Even if you have been outside Nigeria, I doubt you have stayed in a hotel before.

What a moronic statement.

3 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by penzino(m): 8:29pm On Sep 30, 2013
but it is the tallest five star hotel in Nigeria. grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by eaglechild: 8:41pm On Sep 30, 2013
jayblinx: boss u just lied....wat eva hotel mr fashola built isnt the tallest hotel in west africa....Hotel 2 fervrier in lome togo has 36 storeys...and has the record of the tallest...dont come here and deceive any1....if u want to b sure...use google or check the other post on lome togo and see dat tall building wit sumtn lyk an ''X'' on top....i live in togo
I just googled this and you are quite correct.
Why are we too fast to claim biggest this and that in West Africa and Africa without doing any research.
It is disgusting angry
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Teotihuacan: 8:41pm On Sep 30, 2013
eazzzy1:

You know how much tax a yoruba govt will generate through this? Feel free to kill yourself!

Ndo!
Yes yes yes the tax that will benefit all of us here in lasgidi but as long as it isn't yoruba owned then i will sleep well this night.. ..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Disadvantages Of Obodo Oyibo Aka Abroad / Female Passenger Died On Our Flight JUST NOW / Italian Man Shares A Picture He Took With His Family In Onitsha In 1977-Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.