Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,763 members, 7,955,915 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:34 PM

Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against (14067 Views)

What Has Religion Done For Africa. / Wonderful Testimony, 53 Years Old Single Finds Love!!! / Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by uzoexcel(m): 2:39pm On Oct 01, 2013
The vatican?U mean the Roman Catholic church?u are not making any point sincerely..Explain your statements
ifeness: The Vatican is responsible for slavery,democracy,Nazi, everything wrong in our society one can think of. The aim is to keep Africa crippled so that the West will continue to benefit. Alien Religions are playing a huge role to keep us dis-united. We definitely need to kick them out. We need out Africanism back.

Moreover,Horus has always been associated with black Africans. The Europeans changed it to Jesus after the destruction and looting of Egypt by the Arabs.

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Mrniceguyjohn(m): 2:41pm On Oct 01, 2013
no
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by plaetton: 2:41pm On Oct 01, 2013
Chibuebem: please show me your source and I'll show you mine.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founding_Fathers_of_the_United_States

Its amazing the length you would go to sir. Smh

My pleasure.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Were_the_founding_fathers_Masons

http://www.usnews.com/listings/freemasons/3-founding-fathers

Just a snashot

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by uzoexcel(m): 2:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
mumumugu: It is not the duty of religion to deveelop nigeria. So why blame them
Its the duty of Religion and church leaders to make sure its 'flock' are well catered for in all ramifications
I will just put up a short write up on our idea of a man-of-God and also religion.
RELIGION AND ITS ROLE IN NIGERIA
Our underStanding of the duty of a man of God is really weird especially when one is a Nigerian and i seriously think its a big problem for us.(I am a xtian so dont accuse me of been against religion). Why arent our spiritual leaders tackling and denouncing issues having to do with tribalism and even bad government policies which impact on the life of their flock? There will be nothing wrong if my/your pastor/Imam takes a stand and say 'Mr minister of transport, why are the roads in ABC local government bad?Why are our children at home when they should be in school?' Staying in the UK, you come to understand that we Nigerians dont know the difference between what God should do and what Government should do for us;we attribute everything to God.I once got on a bus years ago enroute Enugu from Portharcourt.There was a pastor who stood up to pray and told everyone to pray against the spirit of blood sucking demons/witches/wizards on the road that cause accidents.After a while i couldnt take it any longer and told him to shut his trap and to stop using religion to blackmail people as thatz what we suffer in Nigeria.A blind man knows that these roads are bad and are death traps and ur driver has to move from one lane to another to avoid portholes popping up everywhere.Why wouldnt there be accidents?Why wouldnt there be loss of lives?I asked the pastor 'who is your minister of transport/works?' and he had no idea.The government/politicians are the witches/wizards.ThIS episode typically summarizes the attitude of every Nigerian to matters of the nation.Here in the UK, i dont need to start praying against road accidents 'cos the governments make sure there is not a single porthole in any major road and you have the right to sue them if you suffer any accident..THAT IS GOVERNMENT'S WORK AND NOT GOD'S WORK..

Have we asked ourselves that why is it that its usually underdeveloped countries that talk of demons/witches..The USA,Russia,Germany are worse 'sinners' than us but they are world powers?China doesnt have any religion but they taking over the world including Nigeria?Majority of Indians are hindi and neither xtian/muslim but they progressing at a fast rate and are currently exporting technology to developed countries without God/Allah's help?

Another issue lies with the emphasis on 'sowing seeds' thingy and other convoluted messages which arent designed to change or improve the life of the citizenry one bit.Even Jesus Christ took matters in his hands and was furious with the peeps misusing the temple for trading activities..He voiced out against the pharisees,sadduceess, rulers etc..ditto for other prophets like Elijah/Elisha/etc who never failed to reprimand the politicians/rulers of their time whenever they erred.How many of these pastors have ever called the Government, minister of education etc on the ongoing issues in their various sectors which are affecting the lives of nigerians? Why will a pastor just start preaching and emphasizing on 'been filled with the holy spirit'/'tithing' when one quarter of his flock are students who are at home cos ASUU is on strike and he wont for once condemn the people in charge?THE PEOPLE ARE HIS FLOCK. A pastor is talking about building a 3km podium and asking his flock to donate thousands and millions for that?Is that what the people need? Our pastors now go on private jets while half of the flock cant afford a car?And if his excuse is that he has to get to places where he is needed on time, why has he never condemned the minister of aviation or whoever is in charge to boost/better the services of the airlines?Do they ever ask themselves what Jesus wouldav done?

For those who talk about men of God and saying we should not judge...see the link below and compare to our modern day pastors to see the difference!!!So many of us forget that Martin Luther King Junior was a baptist minister. If he was a Nigerian pastor, would he have stood still while Nigeria continues failing everyday? He was killed for his belief but he will forever be remembered in history...You tell me?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.
[b]
This is another link also by a white man on how Martin Luther KIng Junior changed his life.I will briefly summarize
'Between that racially appalling world and this racially imperfect one strode Martin Luther King. We don’t know if the world would have changed without him, but we do know he was a rod in the hand of God. He was used in the mighty hand of Providence to change the world so that the most appalling, blatant, degrading, public expressions of racism have gone away. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his life to change the world. And toward the end he was increasingly aware that “the Movement” would cost him his life. The night before he was assassinated by James Earl Ray outside room 306 of the Lorraine Motel in Memphis on April 4, 1968, he preached at the Bishop Charles Mason Temple. He had come to Memphis to support the black sanitation workers. For a brief window of time — just long enough — MLK was able to use his voice to restrain violence and overcome hate: “We are masters in our nonviolent movement in disarming police forces. They don't know what to do.” He kindled a kind of fire that no dogs could quench and no fire hoses could put out. It was “a dangerous kind of unselfishness.” Like the Good Samaritan. “The Levite asked, ‘If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?’ But the Good Samaritan reversed the question: ‘If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?’
So dangerous it would cost MLK his life. And he saw it coming. That morning there was a bomb threat on his plane from Atlanta to Memphis. He felt it coming. So he closed his sermon prophetically: 'We’ve got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn’t matter with me now, because I’ve been to the mountaintop. And I don’t mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life — longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God’s will. And He’s allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I’ve looked over, and I’ve seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land. And so I’m happy tonight; I’m not worried about anything; I’m not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

Ten hours later he was dead. http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/martin-luther-king-changed-my-world-and-i-am-thankful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFcbpGK9_aw

Cartoon version of i have a dream grin grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IHU2OEoG84 [/b]

But seriously, This is my idea of a man of God...I give kudos to the Anglican,methodist,catholic priests and also pastor tunde bakare and chris okotie who at least condemn injustices/bad policies in the system and take a stand on issues...Whats ur pastors'/Imam/PaganLeader's stand on boko haram, ASUU strike, bad roads, fuel subsidy?

OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE!!!!!Ask ur church leaders questions....Have u ever asked urself what Jesus wouldav done if he was a Nigerian...Would he have sat still and just preached/fasted/binded demons while the youths in his flock are home for 3months due to strike?Would he have bought a private jet??Would he not have condemned a system where politicians earn more than twice their foreign counterparts in more developed countries while they struggle to implement minimum wage for workers?WHAT WOULD JESUS DO

11 Likes

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by plaetton: 2:43pm On Oct 01, 2013
Chibuebem: smh. Read the biography of each of those men and what they thought of God and Jesus. Just a click away.

Ha ha.

I dont really think you have read them, otherwise you would not be going where you are.
You would be shocked at what some them had to say about god, christianity and the bible way back then.

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by rodeo0070(m): 2:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
Niger-Area will not develop until we do away with religion. Religion is the among the top 5 setback and problem we have in this country. How can revolution happen when we would rather listen to a man/woman behind the altar telling us "e go better" than for us to do the right thing. Nigerians hold keys to their own happiness.
But of course, once our leaders have dirty money in their left hand, the preacher is ready to shake their right hand...
I hope we would not come back next year and still recount the country's woes...

4 Likes

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 01, 2013
jackbauerspower:

Says the User whose Moniker is the name of an Egyptian God.

Oh Lord My God.....The Irony!!! grin

These 'wise' Nigerians will not kill me...
You beat me to it
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by MAYOWAAK: 2:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
The Chinese rejected western culture and religion, but accepted their education, which engendered technology. Since technology is derivable through education, then we can say that the only thing the Chinese and the Indians took away from the West is education. So, why should we reject our culture in the name of western religions? China has a population of about 1.6 billion people, while India has about 1.3 billion people, out of the 7 billion people who make up the entire world. But it is a known fact that about 75 per cent of Indians practice Hinduism, while their Muslim and Christian populations are about 15 and 7 per cent. But we know where India is today when it comes to technology.

In China, 98 per cent practice Buddhism, while about 75 per cent of Japanese do the same, yet the two countries are successful in technology and development. Look at Chinese influence in America, Europe and, now, Africa. You can learn technology through our traditional religion, because the 16 Ifa keys of Odu Ifa are the same with the computer, and each of the 16 Ifa keys can be translated into millions of ways and things in research. So there is no way we can be successful if we neglect our tradition and and cultures. If you do not believe in your culture and tradition, there is no way you can liberate your race. If you don't have an identity, then you cannot achieve unity, and when there is no unity, then you cannot fight a cause successfully. That is why we believe that cultural revolution is the key and part of our revolution.

I have held exactly this thesis for a long time now - that religion is one the major reasons we're underdeveloped and will remain so for a long time. The two so-called monotheistic religions are the cause of so much strife in our society, so much disunity, so much disruption. They're also the cause of corruption, because while the Muslims and the Christians often wait for the day of resurrection/judgement to face the consequences of their misdeeds, in Yoruba religions, judgement can be instant. If you swear by Ogun, you may not have a safe trip in a vehicle built with iron; if you swear by Sango, thunder may strike you dead etc. Let's think about this folks.

6 Likes

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Olumidzti(m): 2:54pm On Oct 01, 2013
On account of the results, no.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by ThaProphet(m): 2:56pm On Oct 01, 2013
It has been a HUGE fail....

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by danny301: 3:04pm On Oct 01, 2013
Off course yes! Religion has failed not only Nigeria but the whole world. Most of the troubles in the world today have religious undertone. Religious people are sentimental people with very bad senses of judgement. People hide under religion to perpetrate all kinds of atrocities. In Nigeria,religion has incapacitated the government because several times people use religion to blackmail the government from taking important decision that would correct some anomalies in the country....... The poverty and almajiri problem in the far north is as a result of religion and it's had for Government address them because those benefiting these problems hide under religion to make sure such problems persist, a good a example of is the recent debate on child marriage where YERIMA was using religion to blackmail the Senate, just to make sure he and his fellow pedophiles keep on marrying little girls ....... People can serve God without being religious, at-least i know that Christianity of which i belong is not just a religion but a relationship between God and man, that is why not true christian can be a problem to the government and society.

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by uzoexcel(m): 3:06pm On Oct 01, 2013
You are on point..I would like you to read my earlier post and lemme hear your views...However i dont feel religion is the nigerian problem...I think its the bastardisation of religion thatz the issue..Over here in the UK, they may not be that religious but the percentage that worship do it judiciously...The church i go to here has so many whites especially the latinos....In spain, italy, france they dont joke with their catholic heritage but their countries aint having issues..Purely Islamic countries like Dubai, Saudi, Egypt, Qatar are well developed and even serve as tourist areas....Even Ghana is also as 'religious' as Nigeria but they progressing at a very fast rate....I feeel our currrent pastors/imams in naija have changed the whole concept of religion/prayer
MAYOWAAK: The Chinese rejected western culture and religion, but accepted their education, which engendered technology. Since technology is derivable through education, then we can say that the only thing the Chinese and the Indians took away from the West is education. So, why should we reject our culture in the name of western religions? China has a population of about 1.6 billion people, while India has about 1.3 billion people, out of the 7 billion people who make up the entire world. But it is a known fact that about 75 per cent of Indians practice Hinduism, while their Muslim and Christian populations are about 15 and 7 per cent. But we know where India is today when it comes to technology.

In China, 98 per cent practice Buddhism, while about 75 per cent of Japanese do the same, yet the two countries are successful in technology and development. Look at Chinese influence in America, Europe and, now, Africa. You can learn technology through our traditional religion, because the 16 Ifa keys of Odu Ifa are the same with the computer, and each of the 16 Ifa keys can be translated into millions of ways and things in research. So there is no way we can be successful if we neglect our tradition and and cultures. If you do not believe in your culture and tradition, there is no way you can liberate your race. If you don't have an identity, then you cannot achieve unity, and when there is no unity, then you cannot fight a cause successfully. That is why we believe that cultural revolution is the key and part of our revolution.

I have held exactly this thesis for a long time now - that religion is one the major reasons we're underdeveloped and will remain so for a long time. The two so-called monotheistic religions are the cause of so much strife in our society, so much disunity, so much disruption. They're also the cause of corruption, because while the Muslims and the Christians often wait for the day of resurrection/judgement to face the consequences of their misdeeds, in Yoruba religions, judgement can be instant. If you swear by Ogun, you may not have a safe trip in a vehicle built with iron; if you swear by Sango, thunder may strike you dead etc. Let's think about this folks.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by nora544: 3:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
For those who talk about men of God and saying we should not judge...see the link below and compare to our modern day pastors to see the difference!!!So many of us forget that Martin Luther King Junior was a baptist minister. If he was a Nigerian pastor, would he have stood still while Nigeria continues failing everyday? He was killed for his belief but he will forever be remembered in history...You tell me?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.

Martin Luther King changed Amerika.

Adeboye change also nigeria in building the biggest church with the money from his poor followers and he need a private Jet, why he didnot stand up and fight for the rights of his followers. Adeboye is a selfish couldhearted businessman and all what he want is his own empire with the money from his poor followers.

Bishop O the man with the four jets, he is the only african Bishop with 4 jet, why he don't say something. A University which belong to him couldnot pay the tax, sorry but a church should be the first you pay the tax for there business that the followers see it not working like he work.

Most of this new churches and they learn from the white pastors in America, but all forgot to learn from one man in america Martin Luther King.

In nigeria religion is the worst thing in this country, because the people get brainwashed from most of there pastors only few telling the tru christian religion.

5 Likes

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by uzoexcel(m): 3:15pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nice one Nora..i tot i was the only one with my views..The situation is so appalling..I remember in my street in naija, there were 5 churches and 1 islamic praying centre. You shouldav seen the cacophony of noises on friday when they all wanna do night vigil and competing wid each other for the right to speak to God grin grin grin grin
I love my country sha
nora544:

Martin Luther King changed Amerika.

Adeboye change also nigeria in building the biggest church with the money from his poor followers and he need a private Jet, why he didnot stand up and fight for the rights of his followers. Adeboye is a selfish couldhearted businessman and all what he want is his own empire with the money from his poor followers.

Bishop O the man with the four jets, he is the only african Bishop with 4 jet, why he don't say something. A University which belong to him couldnot pay the tax, sorry but a church should be the first you pay the tax for there business that the followers see it not working like he work.

Most of this new churches and they learn from the white pastors in America, but all forgot to learn from one man in america Martin Luther King.

In nigeria religion is the worst thing in this country, because the people get brainwashed from most of there pastors only few telling the tru christian religion.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Hamazz1: 3:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
Religion is not d problem rather it is d person practicing d religion failure in governance n total collapse of governmental institution historically tempted pple into seeking for salvation via religion.afro Americans sort comfort in the church whn they were abused by the whites tutsis by hutus rohingya Muslims in d mosque when they were persecuted by the budist etc.now questn is how do we manifest d true ethics of our religion into our daily lives today we don't have laws dt protect religious beliefs like blasphemy laws how compatible is our sys of govt with our various religious beliefs.study d democratic setup of the following countries n u will c wht I mean canada India Indonesia Bangladesh. N brasil.we cannot just adopt a circular constitution when we very well know that we r not a circular state .
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by philoe: 3:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
With all our Religion, we can not even show mercy.

Where I live, they don't all troop out on Sundays, bible in hand.
Neither do they believe there is a supreme deity in heaven who punishes evil.

But you know what? They are capable of showing mercy and compassion.
They give aid to the less privileged. They clothe the naked.
They hold the human life at so high esteem that they find it odd to stone and kill the thief.

My people are so religious that we disregard the laws of the Book.
It is not odd to mob and kill a common thief on our way from Sunday service.
Corruption is our second name.

Our belief in God is a flight of reality. We only act it just because it is trendy to do so.

2 Likes

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by redsun(m): 3:36pm On Oct 01, 2013
It is either you are fundamentally religious or intelligently rational.They are two opposites and one tend to take the place of the other at any given time.Realism and delusion.Knowledge and ignorance.

3 Likes

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by ifebosco: 3:39pm On Oct 01, 2013
Chibuebem: nations(like the U.S and britain) were built on that foundation. They honoured God. But these days, they tamper with the foundation. And you get the classic things fall apart we see today.
A nation is made of people my friend.
sorry my brother,i just hope nigeria can be 50% like us or britain.
if satan can help me reach to that position of us and britain so be it.sufer dey naija too much

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by olaspinoza(m): 3:41pm On Oct 01, 2013
“Countries with a high percentage of nonbelievers are among the freest, most stable, best-educated, and healthiest nations on earth.

When nations are ranked according to a human-development index, which measures such factors as life expectancy, literacy rates, and educational attainment, the five highest-ranked countries -- Norway, Sweden, Australia, Canada, and the Netherlands -- all have high degrees of non-belief.

Of the fifty countries at the bottom of the index, all are intensely religious. The nations with the highest homicide rates tend to be more religious; those with the greatest levels of gender equality are the least religious.

These associations say nothing about whether atheism leads to positive social indicators or the other way around. But the idea that atheists are somehow less moral, honest, or trustworthy have been dis-proven by study after study.” - Greg Graffin

The truth may be bitter sometimes, but this is not the thread to discuss atheism versus religion. However to answer the question, YES, religion has thoroughly failed Nigeria. The politicians who are ruining the country rub shoulders on a daily basis with the religious leaders, I believe that says it all.

“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.” ― Napoleon Bonaparte

4 Likes

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Infomizer(m): 3:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
Chibuebem: Human beings are the reason for naijas problems. Human beings have the same nature and character everywhere. Sin you see, is the problem. some People in nigeria think they can decieve God, or think he's their goodluck charm.
On the other hand, blaming religion for nigerias problems is terrible. There are non-religious countries today, like north korea. They have problems too.
Point of correction, they are not non-religious over there. They just don't really subscribe to western religion.

Sin is the problem. Corruption in the high places and in the low. Greed. Truly Knowing God will take sin away.
Simple.
Jesus was against religious bigotry and ritualistic worship. He advocated knowledge of the true God. He was against the corruption of the roman officials, the religious hypocrisy of the pharisees, etc, etc. Jesus did not come to start a religion. He came to save people from sin. He is the answer to naijas problems. He came to reveal God. Once you take Jesus out. It all falls apart. Don't ask stupid questions. We've been through this before.
Jesus is the answer for the world today. Not religion, not atheism. Not deism. Jesus. Knowing God is deeper than a form of worship. Jesus is the way. There are witnesses through the ages of man's history.
The Jesus you describe is a character in the bible, the revered book of christians. You mean christianity is not a religion? Don't tell me it's a way of life! Culture is!

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Orikinla(m): 4:20pm On Oct 01, 2013
Please, note that God is bigger and greater than any religion.
The belief in God is not a religion.
Because, Job believed in God and he never practiced any religion.

The problem with religion is the confusion of the different sects and their denominations in their competition.
There is neither religion nor denomination in heaven.
That is why Jesus Christ who never founded any religion said that those who worship God must worship Him in spirit and in truth

[size=18pt]God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.
~ John 4:24
New International Version (NIV)[/size]

Lest we forget, our Messiah Jesus Christ never founded Christianity, because he never preached anything else but the Kingdom of God..
He never told any of his followers to build any monastery or synagogue.

That said, religion has failed in Nigeria, but God has not failed us.
Rather our disobedience to the God is the cause of the widespread violence destroying Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by PECO4KING(m): 4:21pm On Oct 01, 2013
I am religious and I know religion does not help Nigeria. They preach hope and prosperty for us for their self interest. Both pastors and iman. Yet things are not changing. Mind you we don't practise religion in Nigeria but we follow religion.

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 01, 2013
nigerians have d ability to cry louder than d deceased. bring religion 2 nigeria and we become holier dan jesus/mohammed.bring football clubs and we fight nd kill one anoda ova pple that think we r stupid(if dey know we exist dat is),we fight ova 2 pple who were partyin abroad durin d war ie bianca n ffk(dose 2 dont care abt u mind u),we vouch 4 politicians,get disappointed by dem and vouch 4 anoda one few yrs later with d same level of conviction(even dere families dont trust dem d way we do)smh

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by nnofaith: 4:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Orikinla: Please, note that God is bigger and greater than any religion.

The problem with religion is the confusion of the different sects and their denominations in their competition.
That is why Jesus Christ who never founded any religion said that those who worship God must worship Him in spirit and in truth

[size=18pt]God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.

Lest we forget, our Messiah Jesus Christ never founded Christianity, because he never preached anything else but the Kingdom of God..

Rather our disobedience to the God is the cause of the widespread violence destroying Nigeria.
another version of the same BS.

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by igbo2011(m): 4:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Yes we should go back to African spirituality.

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by zo3184: 4:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Religion is the opium of the masses. God do not exist Africans.

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by PECO4KING(m): 4:28pm On Oct 01, 2013
Orikinla: Please, note that God is bigger and greater than any religion.

You are right but some countries are worst than Nigeria but yet they live a good life. Take USA, UK,Holland as an example. USA, practise gay,killing,some ladies make love with pet, sex flims, kill of innocent souls to meation but few. Same with UK. In Neithland u see naked beach where u can have sex with anyone and everyone will be naked.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Orikinla(m): 4:31pm On Oct 01, 2013
nnofaith: another version of the same BS.
It is beyond your Average Joe's IQ.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Orikinla(m): 4:36pm On Oct 01, 2013
The following is the simple instruction Jesus Christ told his followers which as we all can see has been abused and misused by those creating denominations and competitions in His name.

[size=18pt]Jesus Sends Out the Seventy-Two

10 After this the Lord appointed seventy-two[a] others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. 2 He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. 3 Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves. 4 Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet anyone on the road.

5 “When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 If someone who promotes peace is there, your peace will rest on them; if not, it will return to you. 7 Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

8 “When you enter a town and are welcomed, eat what is offered to you. 9 Heal the sick who are there and tell them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’ 10 But when you enter a town and are not welcomed, go into its streets and say, 11 ‘Even the dust of your town we wipe from our feet as a warning to you. Yet be sure of this: The kingdom of God has come near.’ 12 I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town.

13 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. 14 But it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment than for you. 15 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades.[b]

16 “Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.”

17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”

18 He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. 20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”

21 At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.

22 “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”

23 Then he turned to his disciples and said privately, “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see.

~ Luke 10:1-23 (New International Version)[/size]

1 Like

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by macof(m): 4:47pm On Oct 01, 2013
Chibuebem: Human beings are the reason for naijas problems. Human beings have the same nature and character everywhere. Sin you see, is the problem. some People in nigeria think they can decieve God, or think he's their goodluck charm.
On the other hand, blaming religion for nigerias problems is terrible. There are non-religious countries today, like north korea. They have problems too. Sin is the problem. Corruption in the high places and in the low. Greed. Truly Knowing God will take sin away.
Simple.
Jesus was against religious bigotry and ritualistic worship. He advocated knowledge of the true God. He was against the corruption of the roman officials, the religious hypocrisy of the pharisees, etc, etc. Jesus did not come to start a religion. He came to save people from sin. He is the answer to naijas problems. He came to reveal God. Once you take Jesus out. It all falls apart. Don't ask stupid questions. We've been through this before.
Jesus is the answer for the world today. Not religion, not atheism. Not deism. Jesus. Knowing God is deeper than a form of worship. Jesus is the way. There are witnesses through the ages of man's history.
every religion of the world knew God before Jesus even came and his apostles decided to destroy the world
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by kolapo001: 4:59pm On Oct 01, 2013
Logicboy03: Nigeria is one of the worlds most religious countries. Nigeria has the highest rate of church attendance (89%) and also home to about 70 million muslims. Nigeria is also almost evenly divided between christianity and islam among its population.

With all this religiosity, has it benefited Nigeria?

Pros for religion
-Catholic church and some other churches built schools for their communities
-Muslim and Christian organisations give a lot of charity
-Pilgrimage opportunities to travel abroad (Jerusalem/Vatican for christians and Mecca for muslims)
-Magnificent church and mosque buildings

Cons
-Religious division, terrorism and conflict- example boko haram
-brainwashing of gullible masses of people- eg people donating salaries and houses to religious leaders while being broke
-child abuse eg child-witch killing, child beating, child molestation
-erosion of culture eg A Yoruba man bearing "Hamed Rahman" or "James Moses"
-wasting of resources eg Pastors buying private jets, building churches instead of libraries, govt sponsoring expensive muslim pigrimage with tax payers' money

What do you think?

The muslim population figure given in your report about Nigeria is false because I am a Nigerian,I live and work in Nigeria.You need to compare the number of churches in Nigeria to the number of mosques all across Nigeria, despite the persecution the church is being faced in the Northern and other parts of Nigeria.There is no city or village in Nigeria where you don’t find a church with massive number of worshippers,no matter how islamized the city or village is.On the other hand,there are some towns and villages in the South South and South Eastern parts of Nigeria where you won’t find a mosque.Nigeria has the world’s biggest church auditorium called Faith Terbernacle,Ota with over 80,000 worshippers gathering every Sunday to worship the only Living God.You need to check every church on worship days and see what is happening there.Many muslims are being converted on a daily basis especially when they need succor from the heat of life,they run to Jesus.Hardly will you see a christian in Nigeria being converted to a muslim if he/she knows what he/she is doing.The true gospel of peace is being preached by christianity and Nigerians are coming to this reality by every passing day.Therefore, the report about Nigerian muslim population is false.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do You Know When God Speaks To You / "A Man After God's Own Heart" - What Does It Mean? / Members Being ‘forced Out’ Of Church Of England For Being Gay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.