Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against (13860 Views)

What Has Religion Done For Africa. / Wonderful Testimony, 53 Years Old Single Finds Love!!! / Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Repentance(m): 5:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
jackbauerspower: I worship at the Church of Materialism, and pray at the Altar of Money.

And So do 98% of the Nigerian Populace.

And our God has blessed us bountifully.

Amen cool
beloved do nt take God for granted!ur proud to comment such nonsense
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by valony(m): 5:43pm On Oct 01, 2013
plaetton:

You are very correct, albeit, in an ironic way.

Religion failed humanity long long time before it even reached our shores.
When the Europeans brought it to us, they already knew that they bringing toxic dump to our shores, much like depleted uranium: Whoever comes into contact with it must suffer.

It is the stu.pidity of our people that makes them look upon religion to deliver in Nigeria, what it was incapble of delivering in Europe for more than 1500 yrs of its dominance in European history.

The main problem is lack of hindsight. I believe God and also in science. I don't subscribe to darwinism cos i feel d evolution theory is inconclusive (creation story makes more sense). Someone can't tell me a rock supernaturally changes its position cos i have heard of tectonic movement. I know with God all things are possible (i.e the belief in a Supernatural being to rest questions that has been left unanswered by science). But to belief that religion can solve anything is an anomaly, cos it's a white man's invention to give respite to the soul. Science, on the other hand, is the study of the physical world i.e finding solutions through observation and experiment to problem that plague mankind on a daily basis (different branches; political science, behavioural science, health science, applied science, industrial science, social science, ecological science etc). Science brings some form of liberty to the mind that enhances growth.

So therefore, it's high-time we looked away from the church (mosque inclusive) and our religious leaders, and unto science. Only then can Nigeria be better.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by DJDOLA(m): 5:56pm On Oct 01, 2013
kolapo001:

The muslim population figure given in your report about Nigeria is false because I am a Nigerian,I live and work in Nigeria.You need to compare the number of churches in Nigeria to the number of mosques all across Nigeria, despite the persecution the church is being faced in the Northern and other parts of Nigeria.There is no city or village in Nigeria where you don’t find a church with massive number of worshippers,no matter how islamized the city or village is.On the other hand,there are some towns and villages in the South South and South Eastern parts of Nigeria where you won’t find a mosque.Nigeria has the world’s biggest church auditorium called Faith Terbernacle,Ota with over 80,000 worshippers gathering every Sunday to worship the only Living God.You need to check every church on worship days and see what is happening there.Many muslims are being converted on a daily basis especially when they need succor from the heat of life,they run to Jesus.Hardly will you see a christian in Nigeria being converted to a muslim if he/she knows what he/she is doing.The true gospel of peace is being preached by christianity and Nigerians are coming to this reality by every passing day.Therefore, the report about Nigerian muslim population is false.

hey bros what u don't u don't no..so ask from people dat no so dat u will no ok...who told u people don't convert 2 islam in nigeria....
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by nnofaith: 5:59pm On Oct 01, 2013
Orikinla:
It is beyond your Average Joe's IQ.
butthurt?!
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by CooldudeY2J: 6:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
Just another atheist thread mtcheeeeew!! Strolls out
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by jamace(m): 6:19pm On Oct 01, 2013
OP, it is Nigerians who have failed religion. Nigerians have really disappointed religion. No religion teaches adherents to do evil. ALL Religions demand the highest level of virtues and uprightness from followers.

NIGERIANS HAVE FAILED RELIGION!
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 01, 2013
jamace: OP, it is Nigerians who have failed religion. Nigerians have really disappointed religion. No religion teaches adherents to do evil. ALL Religions demand the highest level of virtues and uprightness from followers.

NIGERIANS HAVE FAILED RELIGION!

Nonsense

So are u telling me that americans have passed religion? Common sense will tell you that it is religion that has failed. A holy book won't tell you how to build a road or to set up am educational system.

Who told you that all religions demand the highest form of virtues? Do terrorists not quote their holy books? The crusaders weren't killing fo christ?
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by jamace(m): 6:59pm On Oct 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

Nonsense

So are u telling me that americans have passed religion? Common sense will tell you that it is religion that has failed. A holy book won't tell you how to build a road or to set up am educational system.

Who told you that all religions demand the highest form of virtues? Do terrorists not quote their holy books? The crusaders weren't killing fo christ?

Why are you reasoning upside down? How can a holy book tell you how to build a road or set up an educational system, my friend? When religion says we should respect those in authority, what do yuo think are the functions of those in authority? To loot the treasury?

I know you are LOGICBOY grin, but not everything that is logical is true. There is logical fallacy.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by hayubee(m): 7:08pm On Oct 01, 2013
Religion is like a knife: a knife is very useful nd also can b used to commit crimes!! Would u blame d knife or the user?
Don't blame mr x religion for his bad character rather blame mr x!!!
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Nobody: 7:11pm On Oct 01, 2013
jamace:

Why are you reasoning upside down? How can a holy book tell you how to build a road or set up an educational system, my friend? When religion says we should respect those in authority, what do yuo think are the functions of those in authority? To loot the treasury?

I know you are LOGICBOY grin, but not everything that is logical is true. There is logical fallacy.

I agree. Religion tells is to respect authority. It. Tells us to respect the slave master......keeping us enslaved
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by kq(m): 7:17pm On Oct 01, 2013
Religion has not failed Nigeria, Nigerians have failed Nigeria...simple. Religion says do not steal the followers steal, religion says do not kill the followers kill. I ask you is that the religions fault or the followers fault. And i am not sparing any religious followers here including traditional religion.

" The problem is not with the faiths, it is with the faithfuls....."
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by PastorOluT(m): 7:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
jackbauerspower:

Says the User whose Moniker is the name of an Egyptian God.

Oh Lord My God.....The Irony!!! grin

These 'wise' Nigerians will not kill me...
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by italo: 7:58pm On Oct 01, 2013
I'm still looking for the religion that says "loot the treasury," "care not for your neighbour," etc.

If after 53 years, people are still deliberately mis-diagnosing our ailment like the OP just to further their Atheist agenda...it is obvious that it is this kind of dishonesty (whether religious and non-religious) that has failed us for 53years.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by mazaje(m): 8:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
italo: I'm still looking for the religion that says "loot the treasury," "care not for your neighbour," etc.

If after 53 years, people are still deliberately mis-diagnosing our ailment like the OP just to further their Atheist agenda...it is obvious that it is liars pretenders like these (both religious and non-religious) that have failed us for 53years.

I know religions practiced in my country that say things like, " Allah dislikes the unbelievers" . . ."Those that do not believe in Jesus are condemned already" or "do not be yolked with unbelievers because what has light got to do with darkness". . .The adherents of such religions see those that do not believe in their religions as the others who lost and treat them either as enemies of their god or people that are in the dark and are condemned already as their scripture says. . .This my friend is part of the contributions of religion to our society. . .
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by validplanet: 8:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
mazaje: Religion has NEVER helped any country to develop , so why will it ever help Nigeria?. . .

u r getting it wrong.
u forgot that religion shapes the way people behave as well as their culture.
christianity has brought a lot of development to nigeria by delivering a lot of people from primitive and wicked behaviors.

Christianity teaches people to love their neighbor and protect lives and properties
Christianity teaches diligence and hard work
Christianity teaches truthfulness and loyalty
Just to mention but a few, and these are some of the factors that help a people to develop.

Outside this what u have is witchcraft and some inhuman traditions such as killing of twins, burying the dead with humans, communal wars etc. that reduced the dignity of nigerians

there are bad eggs among religious leaders who are there to feed themselves from the ignorance of the masses.

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by italo: 8:26pm On Oct 01, 2013
mazaje:

I know religions practiced in my country that say things like, " Allah dislikes the unbelievers" . . ."Those that do not believe in Jesus are condemned already" or "do not be yolked with unbelievers because what has light got to do with darkness". . .The adherents of such religions see those that do not believe in their religions as the others who lost and treat them either as enemies of their god or people that are in the dark and are condemned already as their scripture says. . .This my friend is part of the contributions of religion to our society. . .

You are talking of segregation. I also know people that are Atheists in my country that say things like "believers are retards," "believers are the problem of the world," etc. Atheists like these treat those that do not disbelieve in God like them as lesser human beings who are mentally caged.

This, my friend, is part of the contributions of Atheism to our society...which shows that segregation is not a 'religious' problem.

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Horus(m): 8:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
Religion is for drop outs. People hold on to religion, like a crutch because they can't make it any other way. With religion you stop being responsible for your own actions and blame someone else like God when it's something you like and the Devil when it's something you don't like.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by mazaje(m): 8:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
italo:

You are talking of segregation. I also know people that are Atheists in my country that say things like "believers are retards," "believers are the problem of the world," etc. Atheists like these treat those that do not disbelieve in God like them as lesser human beings who are mentally caged.

This, my friend, is part of the contributions of Atheism to our society...which shows that segregation is not a 'religious' problem.

And how many times have atheist created blood shed in your country?. . .The soldiers of Yahweh and Allah have killed uncountable people in many of the endless religious crisis that have plagued your country. . .How many atheist have ever denied you employment or admission into any university because of your religious belief. . .Many christians are denied employment into various institutions and admission into various universities because they are not muslims and vice versa. . .How has christianity and islam helped your country and developed it besides the endless wars and discrimination that it is causing in the country. . .
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by italo: 10:43pm On Oct 01, 2013
mazaje:

And how many times have atheist created blood shed in your country?. . .The soldiers of Yahweh and Allah have killed uncountable people in many of the endless religious crisis that have plagued your country. . .How many atheist have ever denied you employment or admission into any university because of your religious belief. . .Many christians are denied employment into various institutions and admission into various universities because they are not muslims and vice versa. . .How has christianity and islam helped your country and developed it besides the endless wars and discrimination that it is causing in the country. . .

If you only see the bad things that religious people do...but you see neither the bad things that non-religious people do nor the good things that religion and its adherents do, clearly, dishonest and fanatical people like you are the problem of the human race.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by omega54life: 11:39pm On Oct 01, 2013
Logicboy03: Nigeria is one of the worlds most religious countries. Nigeria has the highest rate of church attendance (89%) and also home to about 70 million muslims. Nigeria is also almost evenly divided between christianity and islam among its population.

With all this religiosity, has it benefited Nigeria?

Pros for religion
-Catholic church and some other churches built schools for their communities
-Muslim and Christian organisations give a lot of charity
-Pilgrimage opportunities to travel abroad (Jerusalem/Vatican for christians and Mecca for muslims)
-Magnificent church and mosque buildings

Cons
-Religious division, terrorism and conflict- example boko haram
-brainwashing of gullible masses of people- eg people donating salaries and houses to religious leaders while being broke
-child abuse eg child-witch killing, child beating, child molestation
-erosion of culture eg A Yoruba man bearing "Hamed Rahman" or "James Moses"
-wasting of resources eg Pastors buying private jets, building churches instead of libraries, govt sponsoring expensive muslim pigrimage with tax payers' money

What do you think?
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Nobody: 12:07am On Oct 02, 2013
italo:

If you only see the bad things that religious people do...but you see neither the bad things that non-religious people do nor the good things that religion and its adherents do, clearly, dishonest and fanatical people like you are the problem of the human race.

You were totally derstroyed by majaze. And now you are attacking him to cover up your nonsense. Why would you claim that Majaze is dishonest and fanatical? You were the one ranting nonsense like a mad man- when you were claiming that atheists are the part of the problem in Nigeria. You have no atheist friends. Atheists are less than 1% of the population.

See your nonsense

italo:

then you got creamed by Majaze ;

mazaje:

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by italo: 12:34am On Oct 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

You were totally derstroyed by majaze. And now you are attacking him to cover up your nonsense. Why would you claim that Majaze is dishonest and fanatical? You were the one ranting nonsense like a mad man- when you were claiming that atheists are the part of the problem in Nigeria. You have no atheist friends. Atheists are less than 1% of the population.

See your nonsense

then you got creamed by Majaze ;

Mr Referee, grow up.

Anyone who pretends not to see a single good thing done by religion or its adherents is dishonest. If the person does so because he doesnt like religion, he is fanatical.

What reasonable discussion can you have with such a person?

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Nobody: 4:39am On Oct 02, 2013
italo:

Mr Referee, grow up.

Anyone who pretends not to see a single good thing done by religion or its adherents is dishonest. If the person does so because he doesnt like religion, he is fanatical.

What reasonable discussion can you have with such a person?

where did he say that religion has made no positive contribution? did you see the pros in the op?
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by NativeBoy: 6:03am On Oct 02, 2013
Too easy to blame religion. There is a deep lingering thought that needs to be considered: why is it that every black society, no matter where in the world, is essentially in abject poverty. Is that the fault of religion or there are other deeply rooted issues that need to be considered? I’ve know successful Nigerians; some were religious and others were not. The problem with us, blacks in general, not just Nigerians, is that most of us don’t have a certain direction of our lives, and the ones that do have that direction don’t know how to go about making it a reality. Is this the fault of religion?

Lastly, what has been most detrimental to us as blacks is our inability to unite. Until recently, it is not religion that divides us, rather we draw up the most idiotic lines: bloods vs crips, light-skinned vs dark-skinned, the more educated vs the less educated, who is more like the white man vs who isn’t etc… Not that divisions like this don’t exist among other races, they do. But for us who need to rebuild our land, they are a chain around our necks. A house divided against itself cannot stand.

As a Christian, I will say that IF Christianity has failed Nigeria, it is that it has not been able to remove the deep fear and distrust that we seem to have towards each other and to wake people up out of their apathy and know that God has given them the faculties they need to be able to change their situation. I suspect that this is some of the frustrations some atheists here on Nairaland have.
The full has not been spoken about this issue but I submit this post for your consideration.
Stay seeking. Stay thinking. Believe.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by ThaProphet(m): 7:31am On Oct 02, 2013
NativeBoy: Too easy to blame religion. There is a deep lingering thought that needs to be considered: why is it that every black society, no matter where in the world, is essentially in abject poverty. Is that the fault of religion or there are other deeply rooted issues that need to be considered? I’ve know successful Nigerians; some were religious and others were not. The problem with us, blacks in general, not just Nigerians, is that most of us don’t have a certain direction of our lives, and the ones that do have that direction don’t know how to go about making it a reality. Is this the fault of religion?

Lastly, what has been most detrimental to us as blacks is our inability to unite. Until recently, it is not religion that divides us, rather we draw up the most idiotic lines: bloods vs crips, light-skinned vs dark-skinned, the more educated vs the less educated, who is more like the white man vs who isn’t etc… Not that divisions like this don’t exist among other races, they do. But for us who need to rebuild our land, they are a chain around our necks. A house divided against itself cannot stand.

As a Christian, I will say that IF Christianity has failed Nigeria, it is that it has not been able to remove the deep fear and distrust that we seem to have towards each other and to wake people up out of their apathy and know that God has given them the faculties they need to be able to change their situation. I suspect that this is some of the frustrations some atheists here on Nairaland have.
The full has not been spoken about this issue but I submit this post for your consideration.
Stay seeking. Stay thinking. Believe.

Good points made overall. I agree with you for the most parts.

However, have you also noticed that black groups/communities worldwide tend to be the most religious? Could the lack of direction be a result of over-religiousity? Instead of putting in work, we'd rather hope for some divine intervention. That is the utmost loss of direction if you ask me.

About certain individuals being successful regardless of their belief. Very true, most of the time, those individuals took charge of their lives. They worked more and attended church less. They did not subscribe to the "leave it all to Jesus" doctrine. That is besides the point though since we are talking about collective progress here.

This brings me to the unity issue. Religion has also contributed to disunity massively. The evidence can be seen all over the continent and even in the diaspora communities. Few of these divides: Islam vs Christianity, Christianity vs Christianity, believers vs unbelievers, condemned (unbelievers) vs Chosen (believers) light skinned vs darkskinned has its religious roots as well. So, religion has definately not made unity easier. Religion also contributes to the fear and distrust among Afrikans worldwide.

I wholeheartedly agree that religion is easy to blame. Our own first enemies are ourselves (afterall, we are the ones practicing religion). That said, religion is not the only factor responsible for all our problems but it plays a huge part, a fundamental part in the creation of our problems and our inability to solve them.

Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Strongfaze(m): 8:52am On Oct 02, 2013
ifeness: At 53 years of age, what more can be done to help? I wonder. The positive side is the fact that people are beginning to ask question about the role and purposes of religion. Most of us who are lucky to have escaped the iron bars of religion know that we are living in a country filled with religious zombies. Why celebrate independence? We are not independent are we?
whatever you believe in is your religion (science is a religion take note). And Please name a country that is trully independent on earth.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Strongfaze(m): 9:02am On Oct 02, 2013
I'm against neo-colonialism which is the worst form of oppression. What about those countries in Europe that are highly religious and are far developed than African countries? For me it is the people and not the religions.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by italo: 9:05am On Oct 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

where did he say that religion has made no positive contribution? did you see the pros in the op?

Is Mazaje the OP?

mazaje:

Now tell me, is the bold not a senseless question that can only come from a dishonest fanatic?
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 02, 2013
italo:

Is Mazaje the OP?

Now tell me, is the bold not a senseless question that can only come from a dishonest fanatic?

he asked you a question.....he didnt make a statement.
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 02, 2013
Strongfaze: I'm against neo-colonialism which is the worst form of oppression. What about those countries in Europe that are highly religious and are far developed than African countries? For me it is the people and not the religions.

Which European countries are yu talking about?
Re: Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against by uzoexcel(m): 9:41am On Oct 02, 2013
THe latino countries are deeply catholic and dont joke with their faith i.e spain, italy, france, brazil etc
The middle eastern/european countries are deeply islamic, well developed and as i said earlier serve as a source of tourism to everyone world wide i.e qatar, dubai, Abu dhabi, 'Egypt', Turkey etc
As i said, its the bastardization of religion thatz the problem with naija and not just religion
Logicboy03:

Which European countries are yu talking about?

My Relationship With A Married Pastor / Saved by grace alone - A filthy doctrine of demons. Please beware! / Seven Books Of Moses

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73