Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,490 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? (29274 Views)

5 Things To Avoid When Evangelizing/sharing The Gospel / First Step Of Rebuilding The 3rd Temple after 2,000 years / The First Britsh Slave Ship To Reach The Americas Was Called The Good Jesus! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:32am On Dec 26, 2014
If 'Jesus, the son of God' came to this earth and was born in the middle east in 1 AD, how come it took 2,000 years before this message from ''the son of god'' reached us in Nigeria? And then only when Europeans needed slaves and lands to colonize and loot for raw materials necessary to power their industrial revolution? Are you saying God did not deem it necessary to inform all those millions of Africans that would have lived from 1 AD to 1850 of the glorious kingdom of his son until Europeans decided just a couple hundred years ago they needed to raid Africa and loot resources? Did 'God' really 'postpone' the Nigerian introduction to his 'truth' until such a time as the Europeans needed to conquer and loot our lands, a full 2,000 years down the line, and why?

The ways of this imported 'God' are indeed strange!!

51 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:37am On Dec 26, 2014
Valid question.

Now let's see how the Nairaland Christian Theologians will dribble around this one.

FP please.

I asked this question to one of them, Teacher shdemidemi and he boldy proclaimed that their fate was sealed by predestination irrespective of them never having heard of Christ, what !!!

Mind Boggling.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:39am On Dec 26, 2014
frosbel:
Valid question.

Now let's see how the Nairaland Christian Theologians will dribble around this one.

FP please.

frosbel my brotha, please, how far is the middle east from Nigeria that it should take the Creator of this universe 2,000 years to extend his 'good news of the kingdom' from that region to Nigeria? He deliberately left us 'in the dark' for that period. Why? He saw our ancestors engaging in 'sinful practices' like 'idol worshiping', and said, ''Oh, I'll just leave them for another 2,000 years, till the time comes when the white man in Europe needs slaves, and lands rich in gold and silver to exploit and get rich, before the news reaches them''. This christian 'God' is indeed strange in his operations, and sure seems to favor white folk over blacks!

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by tpia0002: 3:28am On Dec 26, 2014
was there a Nigeria 2000 years ago?

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Oduduwaboy(m): 4:43am On Dec 26, 2014
Heeeeyyyyyy! Rossikke is back to the religion section after a looooong break! Am presently having a break too. I got tired of the illogical religious mind. I couldnt resist coming on once again on seeing that name.
Anyway, about your question , 'we ' know the answer but it will be interesting to see the twists the religious will put on it in order to justify their god.
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Psylas(m): 4:53am On Dec 26, 2014
tpia0002:
is that answer to the qestion?

6 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by lepasharon(f): 8:10am On Dec 26, 2014
ROSSIKE:

frosbel my brotha, please, how far is the middle east from Nigeria that it should take the Creator of this universe 2,000 years to extend his 'good news of the kingdom' from that region to Nigeria? He deliberately left us 'in the dark' for that period. Why? He saw our ancestors engaging in 'sinful practices' like 'idol worshiping', and said, ''Oh, I'll just leave them for another 2,000 years, till the time comes when the white man in Europe needs slaves, and lands rich in gold and silver to exploit and get rich, before the news reaches them''. This christian 'God' is indeed strange in his operations, and sure seems to favor white folk over blacks!

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 26, 2014
tpia0002:

Please tell me you're smarter than this stuff you typed.

28 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by tobechi74: 6:38pm On Dec 26, 2014
Dont blame God,blame man

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by lepasharon(f): 6:38pm On Dec 26, 2014
This is actually a good question undecided...one of MANY questions........

9 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 26, 2014
tobechi74:
Dont blame God,blame man

You don't get it do you? The fact that it took 2,000 years for the gospel to reach Nigeria from the middle east strongly suggests there is no ''God'' involved in the whole christian charade. That's the point being made. I mean, if we can fly to Dubai in under 5 hours today, how come the Creator of the Universe (for whom human technology must be really really puny) couldn't get his message to us from that region for 2,000 years?

It was either

a) because he didn't consider the message important enough to bother (in which case why should we bother?) or

b) he wasn't involved in any of the stories claimed in the bible.

Which is it?

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by malvisguy212: 7:12pm On Dec 26, 2014
ROSSIKE:
If 'Jesus, the son of God' came to this earth and was born in the middle east in 1 AD, how come it took 2,000 years before this message from ''the son of god'' reached us in Nigeria? And then only when Europeans needed slaves and lands to colonize and loot for raw materials necessary to power their industrial revolution? Are you saying God did not deem it necessary to inform all those millions of Africans that would have lived from 1 AD to 1850 of the glorious kingdom of his son until Europeans decided just a couple hundred years ago they needed to raid Africa and loot resources? Did 'God' really 'postpone' the Nigerian introduction to his 'truth' until such a time as the Europeans needed to conquer and loot our lands, a full 2,000 years down the line, and why?

The ways of this imported 'God' are indeed strange!!
T he first book of the Bible, Genesis, says that God chose Abraham to make into a great nation. The descendants of Abraham, the Jews, would establish the nation of Israel to become a people of God's own possession.God has chosen the Jew to reach out to the world.The bible is full of foreshadowing, an event that happen but God use it to show us what he will do in the future.hosea was a old testament prophet,in that book of hosea the children of isreal always disobey God,and God say he will scatters them and on the third day he will revive them and isreal shall live in my sight. This is a foreshadowing of how God is about to scatter isreal and reach out to the new testament church.

In acts 1:6-8
6 Then they gathered around him and
asked him, “Lord, are you at this time
going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”
7 He said to them: “It is not for you to
know the times or dates the Father has
set by his own authority. 8 But you will
receive power when the Holy Spirit
comes on you; and you will be my
witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea
and Samaria, and to the ends of the
EARTH.”

God scatter isreal, for 1900 there is no nation of isreal, the scattered isreal became a nation in 1948,why? The gospel has been preach and isreal are about to live in the sight of God (the saints) now that you have hared the gospel, you have no excuse.

13 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by tpia0003: 7:41pm On Dec 26, 2014
ROSSIKE:

You don't get it do you? The fact that it took 2,000 years for the gospel to reach Nigeria from the middle east

you have to move past this fallacy in your thinking if you are really seeking answers and not trying to draw traffic and hold gigabytes.

are you implying christianity did not reach west africa until 2000AD?

was there a nigeria 2000 years ago?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Dec 26, 2014
tpia0003:

you have to move past this fallacy in your thinking if you are really seeking answers and not trying to draw traffic and hold gigabytes.

are you implying christianity did not reach west africa until 2000AD?

was there a nigeria 2000 years ago?

Dude, use your brain for once in your life. 2,000 yrs is an approximation. We know it got here around the 19th century, meaning something like 1,867 years or something. And of course there was no 'Nigeria' 2000 years ago, but the territory now known as Nigeria existed, with people living in it, did it not? I mean, maybe it's an IQ problem with you, I don't know...More likely you're seeking to dodge the main question by raising irrelevant strawman arguments. That won't work.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by tpia0003: 8:05pm On Dec 26, 2014
We know it got here around the 19th century

really
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Dec 26, 2014
tpia0003:

really

Yes, Really. That a few Portuguese christians came here before then and converted a couple of 'natives' doesn't mean christianity arrived in the 15th or 16th century. And assuming you want to claim it did, why did it take the Creator of the Universe 1,600 years to get his 'good news of his only begotten son who died for our sins' over to us from the middle east, which takes us 5 hours to reach today with (comparatively) primitive human technology?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by tpia003: 10:17pm On Dec 26, 2014
Christianity reached Egypt in 43 AD.

From there it grew steadily until the Arab conquest of North Africa., after which it was concentrated to the southern parts, specifically around Ethiopia.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by cecegorz(m): 2:09am On Dec 27, 2014
frosbel:
Valid question.

FP please.

I asked this question to one of them, Teacher shdemidemi and he boldy proclaimed that their fate was sealed by predestination irrespective of them never having heard of Christ, what !!!

Mind Boggling.

Frosbel, it seems like you are gradually turning into an atheist.
Like they say in NL, I just dey observe o

2 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:31am On Dec 27, 2014
tpia003:
Christianity reached Egypt in 43 AD.

From there it grew steadily until the Arab conquest of North Africa., after which it was concentrated to the southern parts, specifically around Ethiopia.

Who is talking about Egypt and Ethiopia?

7 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by hercules07: 4:08am On Dec 27, 2014
ROSSIKE:

I do not often agree with all of your posts but on this, you are very correct, it is obvious that religion is a tool in the hands of the elite, it was a way to conquer and Christianity when fully dissected leaves a lot to be desired, we know the bible is flawed, how can God sanction slavery, how can Joshua go to war and kill so many people? I always tell people that if Joshua had lived now, he will be a war criminal.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by saintopus(m): 5:57am On Dec 27, 2014
It looks like the people are gradually awakening. People have started asking questions which less than ten years ago many would have accepted it "whole and sinker ". Of course no thanks to social media and technology. We have started seeing the light after many years of mental slavery. I think honestly the church have a lot to do. Things will never be thesame again. I see Nigeria and Africa in general rising again. Maybe if we are lucky, many will revisit the core African Traditional religion. No nation develop fast outside its culture and traditional beliefs. We may not go a long way throwing away our indegenous beliefs and embracing foreign religion. Orthodox religions of Islam and Christianity have a lot to do. It may be small at first, but with time, someone have to explain.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by saintopus(m): 6:01am On Dec 27, 2014
saintopus:
It looks like the people are gradually awakening. People have started asking questions which less than ten years ago many would have accepted it "whole and sinker ". Of course no thanks to social media and technology. We have started seeing the light after many years of mental slavery. I think honestly the church have a lot to do. Things will never be thesame again. I see Nigeria and Africa in general rising again. Maybe if we are lucky, many will revisit the core African Traditional religion. No nation develop fast outside its culture and traditional beliefs. We may not go a long way throwing away our indegenous beliefs and embracing foreign religion.
Orthodox religions of Islam and Christianity have a lot to do. It may be small at first, but with time, someone have to explain.
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Bolt3(m): 6:23am On Dec 27, 2014
The problem is that your blaming God for mans error. God has already instructed us to spread the gospel around the world. Yet there are places on earth till this day that hasn't heard the gospel like China. Now ask yourself is it God that is stopping you from going to China to preach the gospel? This is why God is very angry when we don't preach the gospel because there are potential Christians lost everyday just because of our Laziness. Left to God everyone would be a Christian but he doesn't like to intefer.

22 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by shdemidemi(m): 6:53am On Dec 27, 2014
cecegorz:

Frosbel, it seems like you are gradually turning into an atheist.
Like they say in NL, I just dey observe o

Gradually!!!That is putting it mildly. Your friend is anything but a CHRISTian.

6 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by tpia003: 7:03am On Dec 27, 2014
ROSSIKE:

was there a Nigeria during the time frame you have in mind?

3 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by kevoh(m): 7:07am On Dec 27, 2014
Bolt3:
Yet there are places on earth till this day that hasn't heard the gospel like China.

undecided Please, stop talking commenting and spreading ignorance. Christianity got to China sometime in the 8th Century.

5 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Ranchhoddas: 7:44am On Dec 27, 2014
tpia003:

was there a Nigeria during the time frame you have in mind?
Tell me you are joking. Seriously?

1 Like

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Bolt3(m): 8:12am On Dec 27, 2014
kevoh:

undecided Please, stop talking commenting and spreading ignorance. Christianity got to China sometime in the 8th Century.
Really, I didn't know that. That doesn't change the fact that less than 1% of the Chinese population are Christians.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Ranchhoddas: 8:22am On Dec 27, 2014
@rossike...you seem to believe in a creator,why is that?

1 Like

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by kevoh(m): 8:41am On Dec 27, 2014
Bolt3:

Really, I didn't know that. That doesn't change the fact that less than 1% of the Chinese population are Christians.
You are making the one percent sound like only hundred people.

According to a survey conducted in 2010, hundreds of millions of people practice some kind of Chinese folk religions and Taoism; of these 754 million (56.2%) people practice Chinese ancestral veneration, only 215 million (16%) believing in the existence of ancestral shen[note 1], 173 million (13%) adopt Taoist practices on a level which is indistinguishable from Chinese folk religion.[17] The same survey reports that 185 million (13.8%) are Buddhists, 33 million (2.4%) are Christians, and 23 million (1.7%) are Muslims.[17] In addition to Han local religion, also some non-Han ethnic minorities follow their traditional autochthone religions... Wikipedia Source

Some Countries' population are not even up to 33 million. Actually, China ranks among the top 10 largest christian countries.So make it count when you say one percent! Anyway, let's stick to the thread and not derail further.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 27, 2014
shdemidemi:

Gradually!!!That is putting it mildly. Your friend is anything but a CHRISTian.

Absolutely not a Christian especially according to your warped definition wink

By the way where is your answer to the question ? Don't tell me they are all burning in hell right now according to your weird theory of predestination , lol. cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

My Experience With Fake Bishop Oyedepo On Facebook(snapshots) / Obituary Of Reverend Father Cyriacus Onunkwo, To Be Buried With His Father / Chris Okotie To Stephanie (Ex-Wife): “You Are Like Jezebel!”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.