Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

My Hair Woes - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / My Hair Woes (13908 Views)

A New Look: Wanna Cut My Hair / My Hair Journey :from Relaxed To Natural ( With Pics) / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Hair Woes by bluespice(f): 4:57am On May 03, 2009
riskie?
her waka get as e be

riskie u know u should hit me up oh wink
Re: My Hair Woes by Sissy3(f): 4:58am On May 03, 2009
that pure jojoba oil is awesome! love it. you can actually use it as a facial cleanser especially for those with very dry skin
Re: My Hair Woes by Riskie(f): 6:26am On May 03, 2009
@ Blue yeah I had the same problem with the water. You could use a water filter, that helps. And stop shampooing lol the weather here is too harsh and dry to shampoo too often.
If you want your hair to grow faster you could try mixing castor oil and rosemary oil and massage your scalp with the mixture. Only a few drops of rosemary because it can cause headaches. Then conditioner wash it out the next day. Also try adding alma and shikakai powder to your deep conditioner once in a while. They help with growth, strength and condition the scalp. The amla oil usually contains more mineral oil than actual amla.

Gelila has some pretty hair.  cheesy   So does this chick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mLoonBZLbM&feature=channel
Her hair texture is more similar to what most of us have. She's Nigerian and she has great tips on caring for natural hair. I hope one day to have hair like hers.
Re: My Hair Woes by Hauwa1: 11:09am On May 03, 2009
Finally! let me first thank Mohawkchic who revived the thread when i needed help.

Sigh! Riskie, like i said, i bought all those things you listed.
i didn't wash it again (bear in mind that I already wash with Pathene and condition it with Panthene conditioner) when i got done taking the twist out, the result were huge rocks on my head sad that was thursday night.

i combed as i took out the twist just the back side of my hair. my one mistake was i didn't combed out all the hair as i remove the twist before i  entered the shower  grin i had thot water would moisten it though. at one point, i even try to blow dry it, Big Mistake!  shocked

saturday i went to shop for the stuff (vo5, fruits stuff, hello hydra, etc). i didn't wash it again just mosturize and put on shower cap for sometime.
then i started combing it, lo and behold!!! dreadlocked the more! nothing could do so i took my scissors and started cutting the end if each dreadlocked twist. by the time i got done, the sink was filled with locked hair. i was like wow! dread, that easy huh! after more than an hour, my hands were so tired.

next thing now is to have it trim to even the hair. i plan on twisting soon. 2 years ago when i had perms, i did micro braid, sigh! i don't want to micro braid till another time.

i was talking with a coursemate from senegal and she said the next time, i should make sure the person doing my hair comb out the hair, comb each single cut before twisting. i know that the person who did the twist before did not comb each as she twisted.
she said it helps to make sure it is comb before twisting them.

phew! i now got contours  grin. i will be going to the saloon to equal my hair.

TOH, i will get those two pix you have up there, i have to try different things.  Panthene on hold for now. their slogan not working for me  undecided
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:09pm On May 03, 2009
Hey Hauwa, those are moisturizer and they will be good for your hair esp the mango butter one.

As for shampoo and conditioner, I think you should switch to Nexxus Thearppe and Aubrey Organics Conditioner

Only shampoo once a week or even once every two weeks sef. Your hair on;y really requires conditioner and a good one will soften it right up. Make sure you deep condition!(conditioner with cap for 15-20mins)

seriously products made directly for black people are garbage, dont even bother with them anymore.
Re: My Hair Woes by Hauwa1: 7:34pm On May 03, 2009
TOH, thank you so much. i will surely look for those hopefully i will find them at target or walmart. if not maybe sally or one of those beauty stores.

my hair is so contourish, remember the olden days grand father styles right, that's exactly what i got now, grin i look at myself and i laugh. thank goodness for scarf grin
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:44pm On May 03, 2009
Nexxus is kinda expensive (white salon quality) but it's cheap in walmart ($10), the conditioner you can get VitaminShoppe or online sef and the shipping is 99cents  cheesy

http://www.amazon.com/Aubrey-Organics-Honeysuckle-Conditioner-liquid/dp/B0006GZCVK or just buy the Nexxus Humectress conditioner in Walmart as well with the Therappe shampoo. Humectress is very good.

while you're waiting for that to ship, you can always just get the cheap but good cholestrol conditioner like Queen Helene or LeKair, add a little olive oil, mix it up and keep it capped for like 15 mins. Your hair will be very soft

You sef, how do you sleep with your contour head  tongue
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:48pm On May 03, 2009

or

Nice and cheap (~$3.99) when you need a thick conditioner like every month.
Re: My Hair Woes by Hauwa1: 11:08pm On May 03, 2009
Girl! thanks a bunch. you see i just need to cook you a nice ila soup with huge beef stew smiley and a bottle of real dry ginger ale.

thank you so much. i will get those. am making a list of all the above.

ha, a real contour o embarassed i mean it's like those naija road if you are traveling to Jebba or up north grin
Re: My Hair Woes by FLGators1: 1:43am On May 04, 2009
@TOH
Where can I get that?

@Hauwa
Why don't you try pink oil? grin grin

[img]http://www.jeffangs.com/images/luster%20pink%20oil%20moisturizer%20hail%20lotion, jpg[/img]
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:11am On May 04, 2009
Hauwa ignore alagolo the akata

when can you get what?
Re: My Hair Woes by FLGators1: 2:36am On May 04, 2009
That hair cream

me akata? I prefer oreo tongue tongue That's what they call me anywayz undecided
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:54am On May 04, 2009
which hair cream elenu yamyama
Re: My Hair Woes by FLGators1: 2:55am On May 04, 2009
na wa oh. emi ni elenu yama yama. . . .time yin ni o.

The one you posted for Hauwa: Lekair and Ginseng
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:38am On May 04, 2009
That one is everywhere. Walmart, Rite Aid, Target, etc
Re: My Hair Woes by FLGators1: 11:57pm On May 06, 2009
TOH, what moisturizer, hair cream, spray etc do you use for your hair or do you recommend ?
Re: My Hair Woes by mohawkchic(f): 12:34am On May 07, 2009
Chaircover:

@mohawkchic - Can you help answer this question please.

I don't have time to undo braids so I just cut of the extensions and unravel the rest. I only ever do twists.

I will love to carry the pick and drop style but my hair is longer than the "pick" bit as they put a knot at the end of the "pick", my question is how do I undo this style in super quick time? How do you get the knot out? Thanks

~Hmm. . .I'll ask my cousin who braids if there's a quicker way to undo the knots. . . .

~I use to do the Pick & Drop when my hair was just long enough to be braided . . . so it was real easy to chop off the knots,Loosen the loops & Pull. . .i wedged toothpick inbetween the loops of braid . . IE the length of the braid . . . this process loosen the loops of the braids & I Pull,thats the easiest way i know that works for me!

~This much i know,For people with long hair doing Pick & Drop,there's a technique used wherein the hair gets folded in so its braided . .you should still be able to cut off at the knoted ends . . .You should tell the stylists your concerns of not choping your hair off should you need to chop off the knots instead of undoing the knots,she'll prolly leave enuff rows of hairextension before knotting . . .
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:38am On May 07, 2009
FL Gators!:

TOH, what moisturizer, hair cream, spray etc do you use for your hair or do you recommend ?

Whatever hair moisturizer you use, make sure one of 3 first ingredients has WATER/AQUA on the bottle/jar

Good cheap ones

That ORS olive oil moisturizer I posted above

ORS Carrot Oil

The Elasta QP Mango butter I also put up or Elastic Moisture Recovery.
Re: My Hair Woes by FLGators1: 12:42am On May 07, 2009
TOH, when it comes to taking care of my body and scalp, I don't want cheap items.

What do you use? I'd ask my friends, but they use white ppl hair products undecided

I'd sha try the one above. Thanks alot wink
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:47am On May 07, 2009
white people hair products are the best

the shit they make specifically for black people are all garbage

seriously, check them out. You'll see they all have "petroleum or mineral oil" in the ingredients. all nonsense

Only thing good in the "ethnic" part of grocery stores is the ORS line and also Queen Helene Chloestrol. Everytjhing else is such trash
Re: My Hair Woes by FLGators1: 12:59am On May 07, 2009
white people hair products are the best

the shit they make specifically for black people are all garbage

seriously, check them out. You'll see they all have "petroleum or mineral oil" in the ingredients. all nonsense

Only thing good in the "ethnic" part of grocery stores is the ORS line and also Queen Helene Chloestrol. Everytjhing else is such trash

Hmmm, thanks. tongue

Takes note: 3 first ingredients has WATER/AQUA on the bottle/jar.
Re: My Hair Woes by mohawkchic(f): 1:26am On May 07, 2009
~Sissy~:

@ Karma, MC and others

have you guys heard of the Japanese relaxer that strengthens hair, a.k.a the thermal conditioning? any insights?

~Noo,first i read about it here . . .So i Googled . . . here are a few more names the Process is known By

*Inoic Straightening
*Magic Straight Perm
*Thermal Relaxing
*Thermal Rebonding

~The procedure is a long one tho 3-6 hrs  shocked . . I suppose If its a process that delivers on all it says then its Great! Noted  *Every other six months the process should be done all over again . . .

~I know a m8 who could benefit from this Thermal Starightening,her hair is naturally curly & its a pian straightening her hair DIY b/c its so long . .

~This link shows how its done

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5650706976211547484&hl=en
Re: My Hair Woes by Nobody: 1:52am On May 07, 2009
Jeez it's hard to take all these in. I decided to go natural last year. You don't want to see me without my braids, though. cheesy
I use 'Organic Olive Oil' and it helps soften the hair. Sometimes I apply baby oil to it. I have no reason for doing that though, just love the smell I guess.
Re: My Hair Woes by FLGators1: 1:54am On May 07, 2009
Sometimes I apply baby oil to it. I have no reason for doing that though, just love the smell I guess.

grin grin grin grin grin

And you wonder why it won't grow? tongue tongue
Re: My Hair Woes by Nobody: 2:03am On May 07, 2009
We shall get there. cheesy tongue
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:10am On May 07, 2009
Better off with jojoba or almond oil, stilly
Re: My Hair Woes by Nobody: 2:16am On May 07, 2009
Ok. I will try get that on my next shopping trip.
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:20am On May 07, 2009
coconut oil is also very good for natural hair
Re: My Hair Woes by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 08, 2009
Where can I get them? I went to Walmart and Sally's yesterday . . . couldn't find them. I really don't want to go to the mall. I'll spend more than I bargained for. sad
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:44pm On May 08, 2009
stillwater:

Where can I get them? I went to Walmart and Sally's yesterday . . . couldn't find them. I really don't want to go to the mall. I'll spend more than I bargained for. sad

should be able to get coconut/jojoba oil in sallys or even walmart

did you ask them? (esp sally's)
Re: My Hair Woes by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 08, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

should be able to get coconut/jojoba oil in sallys or even walmart

did you ask them? (esp sally's)

I asked them at Sally's o, the lady was fiddling around the store. She couldn't find it. And she was only one there. Maybe she's new. I didn't ask anyone at Walmart though.
Re: My Hair Woes by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:58pm On May 08, 2009
Have a GNC around?

It's like 5.99 there and the bottle is bigger than that

The cocnut oil should be around vitamins or hair aisle in Walmart

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help Me I'm Young, Female And I Think I'm Going Bald! / Butt Craze :What's The Attraction To The Butt? / The Best Fashion School In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.