Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised (27090 Views)

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 / Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by citizenisb: 8:32am On Oct 04, 2013
Twenty-four hours after the new automotive development plan was approved by the Federal Executive Council, the Federal Government on Thursday said a new tariff on the importation of cars would be announced soon.

The move will make imported cars more expensive thus, promoting the purchase of locally manufactured vehicles.

The Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Mr. Olusegun Aganga, confirmed the development during a chat with journalists in Abuja.

Aganga said the old tariff had been reviewed upwards, adding that the new tariff had already been approved by the Federal Government.

This, he added, was part of measures to develop the Nigerian automotive industry.

“The importation of Tokunbo vehicles will not be a major threat to the automotive development plan. The tariff for the importation of cars has been reviewed upward and will be announced soon,” he said.

Aganga also said the ministry had commenced, with immediate effect, the implementation of the Automotive Industrial Policy Development Plan.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/fg-raises-tariff-on-imported-cars/
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by write2obi(m): 8:36am On Oct 04, 2013
Did they Ban importation of Used cars or will just increase the tariff to discourage us from buying? Anyone pls?

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by Dreal1247: 8:36am On Oct 04, 2013
Dis is a welcomed development. Though the local producers av 2 be adequately financed to meet up with the local demand.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by phlamingboy(m): 8:41am On Oct 04, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]nice development,,good move by d fg,dis will encourage high patronage of locally made vehicles,,d only problem is if d made in Nigeria vehicles wuld be durable like d oda brands imported

2 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by stebell(m): 8:43am On Oct 04, 2013
@ OP, yu caption dis story as wicked. I wanna ask yu aint yu tired of using 2nd hand goods like shoes, clothes, cars etc. I wanna believe yu still use 2nd hand electronics.
Think new and be renewed.
Wat de govt has done is jus to encourage our economy.

5 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 04, 2013
Good move, I bought a tukunbo car in 2010 as I'm writing now the Jezzeble is still drying my pocket with its numerous problems. I better save and buy new car than tukunbo. Looking seriously for someone to sell this jalopy to.

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by ayusco85(m): 8:52am On Oct 04, 2013
This is too early joor. wait o before u increase the tariff. Peoples cars are already on the high sea about to enter the country. Better implement it next year from january 1st.

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by iterator25: 9:09am On Oct 04, 2013
chidindufrank: Good move, I bought a tukunbo car in 2010 as I'm writing now the Jezzeble is still drying my pocket with its numerous problems. I better save and buy new car than tukunbo. Looking seriously for someone to sell this jalopy to.
doesn't sound good.. no thanks sad ...#torture
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by shortgun(m): 9:19am On Oct 04, 2013
chidindufrank: Good move, I bought a tukunbo car in 2010 as I'm writing now the Jezzeble is still drying my pocket with its numerous problems. I better save and buy new car than tukunbo. Looking seriously for someone to sell this jalopy to.
Did you just said you are looking for someone to sell your problematic jalopy to?
You are d wicked one here not d car.
@Govt needs to strengthen the local industry first or else they will only have succeeded in making smuggling a more lucrative business, we all know d state of our borders

13 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by VKasparov(m): 9:42am On Oct 04, 2013
Motorcycles (used and unused) are banned in most States in the north for security reasons. This forced the common man to fall back on tokunbo vehicles as a last resort. I feel it is unfair for the Govenment to now make them less afordable especially since the local car manufacturing industry is not really functioning. Besides, how many people can aford these brand new locally made cars? Well, I guess the only option now left for the masses is to start pushing donkey carts.

18 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by Segadem(m): 9:46am On Oct 04, 2013
That will be a boom business for neighbouring countries and Fayawo people will double their strategy.

3 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by AZeD1(m): 9:47am On Oct 04, 2013
V/Kasparov:
Motorcycles (used and unused) are banned in most States in the north for security reasons. This forced the common man to fall back on tokunbo vehicles as a last resort. I feel it is unfair for the Govenment to now make them less afordable especially since the local car manufacturing industry is not really functioning. Besides, how many people can aford these brand new locally made cars? Well, I guess the only option now left for the masses is to start pushing donkey carts.
The kind of backward reasoning displayed by the FG is mind bogging.
How many cars are produced locally?
How many people can afford a brand new car?

34 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by ifyalways(f): 9:52am On Oct 04, 2013
Fayawo and customs people go smile this Christmas.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by freezy(m): 9:54am On Oct 04, 2013
Comments from Punch Readers:

Afam
• 9 hours ago

Cabals have prevailed,just like they did in cements has the price come down since then? no..FG kept on putting more pressure on lower class..how of those manufacturers will meet the demands?

okonjjo iwealla
• 8 hours ago

Another evidence the govt is broke. they want more money&they are raising it through several means. Car plate number, bcmr , driver's license, now another tariff tokunbo car tariff. Yet they reject the notion of being labeled as a BROKE govt. God save Nigeria

mohinder
• 3 hours ago

ignorance at the highest level, let start producing cars before you increase the import tariff

Adetayo Adewale Adebowale
• 5 hours ago

Nigerian government functionaries always come up with genuine ideas but operates withouth strategy,how can Nigeria ban importation of Used cars from Manufacturing economies when Nigeria is not even ready and equipped to generate enough energy/power(electricity) to drive manufacturing, apart from raw material,electricity to power industies is next ingredient for a sustainable industrialization, Nigeria continues to flare it natural gas resources. Can we continue to cry corruption or can we just say successive Nigerian governments are wasteful? Nigeria can not even generate and supply enough electricity for domestic consumption to talk of do industries. Almost every household in Nigeria have an electric power generator. Common Nigerian government give us a break you guys are thieves period. (Adetayo Adewale Adebowale . New York).

Sunday Njokede
• 14 minutes ago

To start with: where is the electricity to power this ‘new industrialisation’? Liars! And again, is there functional Middle Class in Nigeria who would buy these cars and move the economy forward. Are workers going to use 18 thousand Naira Minimum Wage to pay a whopping N1.2m and N1.5m. Naira car? How long would they save 18 thousands before getting N1.2m? Would Nigerians drive their cars in their dead graves?

Without electricity, good roads and others it’d be very difficult. And besides which middle class would buy them? There is no Middle Class in Nigeria. Nigeria has two strata: rich and poor – not the rich who power the economy but the middle class.

The tariff on imported cars is high enough. Government should not steep it up more so. We are waiting for you people 2015 presidential election. We are voting Jonathan out. This policy is unnecessary strain on the poor who tries to buy car.

emeka
• 8 minutes ago

all of you commenting on this blog are stupid. who told u we don't have local manufacturers like INNOSON, IVECO TRUCKS,ASHOK LEYLAND etc. Don't u know that when they are empowered, they have the capacity to produce jobs in their millions and add value to the economy. South Africa has all the worlds' motor brands assembly plant in their country. do u know how significant that is?

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by tomakint: 9:57am On Oct 04, 2013
Dreal1247: Dis is a welcomed development. Though the local producers av 2 be adequately financed to meet up with the local demand.
Trust me the FG is prepared for adequate funding of local producers especially through the Automotive Industrial Policy Development Plan!

2 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by freezy(m): 10:02am On Oct 04, 2013
More Comments:

Kabolobari Benakole
• 40 minutes ago

The move will make imported cars more expensive thus, promoting the purchase of locally manufactured vehicles.

Punch sounds like it supports this move. Really, I personally think it lousy! It's not about tarriff as it's about electricity availability! Besides it's not federal government that makes the industry. It's technology that does. If there's no native Nigeria auto tech or improvement thereof, raise the tarriff as high as anything and we'll all need to jump up on the unavailable trains!

orjiakors
• 44 minutes ago

If the new govt policy is meant to encourage indigenous vehicle manufacturing, increase output and enhance the quality of fully made in Nigeria cars, fine and welcome.
But if the policy is meant to encourage foreign manufacturing companies like Toyota, Peugeot, Mercedes, Ford, Tata, Opel, Volkswagen, etc., come to Nigeria to establish assembly plants, then Nigeria's govt has taken a reverse policy, a backward policy, as far as automotive development and manufacturing in Nigeria are concerned.

Nigeria has had some of the above named automotive companies assembling their vehicles in Nigeria for decades, how far did they impart their technology of vehicle production on Nigerians? To what degree did their assembly activities positively influence Nigeria's economy?

In the recent past, India's Tata manufactured a very good car that sold for US $2000. If indigenous vehicle assembly plants and prospective vehicle manufacturing companies in Nigeria are not subjected to suffocating competition from foreign cars assembling companies in Nigeria, before long, Nigeria's indigenous car manufacturing companies can replicate the Indian Tata feat of bringing up brand new good cars that may sell as low as 1.2 million Naira

Okiri
• 2 hours ago

Hmn! All roads leads to Cotonou! customs, police and other are in for brisk business

chris
• 2 hours ago
⚑Nig govt. is very wicked wish local manufacturer did we have

Kublai
• 4 hours ago

What feasibility study?you people are are not ready to govern.please tell us which cars are manufactured locally at present?

mike usa
• 7 hours ago

hope,you are okay, minister of industry, hope you about to eat your own money, from the poor nigerians, let me tell you, if you do it, God we help you, but rember, that if any penny, received to your pocket, from those, company, God is looking at you, and l know this is another opportunity, for your friends in crime, of the nigeria mate, you guys continue, but one day, your air we come down.

^^^

Errr... What exactly is this Mike usa guy trying to say? wink

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by AZeD1(m): 10:03am On Oct 04, 2013
tomakint:
Trust me the FG is prepared for adequate funding of local producers especially through the Automotive Industrial Policy Development Plan!
Will the FG also fund the people who will buy the cars?

4 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by warrior01: 10:06am On Oct 04, 2013
So happy for this new policy and I sincerely hope and believe the present govt will have the guts to push it through. Tis time we started manufacturing our things here and create employment for the teeming youths and moreso, save the naira. Thumbs up Gej

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by Burger01(m): 10:24am On Oct 04, 2013

O'boi, check with your village people first. Seems like you're being doctored by your village people. Please go beg them.

undecided

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by Nobody: 10:24am On Oct 04, 2013
Pls how does this end ASUU, federal polytechnics and the soon to join secondary school teachers strike? How does this policy better the life of the common man?
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by iamswizz(m): 10:25am On Oct 04, 2013
No electricity
No security
No good roads

And the government are concerned about tokunbo cars?

But still, Gej till 2019
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by bigshow123: 10:26am On Oct 04, 2013
Why wil FG not try and fix power first b4 comin up wit dis policy. Car manufacturin plants is not a yorghurt company where u can use generators to operate. Power must be on 24/7. Always puttin d cart b4 d horse

5 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by israel007: 10:27am On Oct 04, 2013
shortgun:
Did you just said say you are looking for someone to sell your problematic jalopy to?
You are d wicked one here not d car.
@Govt needs to strengthen the local industry first or else they will only have succeeded in making smuggling a more lucrative business, we all know d state of our borders

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by baslone: 10:29am On Oct 04, 2013
Dum.b Govt!! Always putting the cart before the horse!

For God's sake

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by youngmonie: 10:29am On Oct 04, 2013
This is just such a stupid idea? I cn bet you this so called Local manufacturers prduce less than 100,000 cars a year, how then do you fufill demand when supply is limited, this willl eventually make them more expensive. Trust Nigerinas tho, they wil stilll buy foreign cars. You cnt start raising tarrifs when the local manufacturers have not played their own part

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by BekeeBuAgbara: 10:30am On Oct 04, 2013
grin
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by dridowu: 10:33am On Oct 04, 2013
The higher the tarrif the higher the cost of the car
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by vivaciousvivi(f): 10:36am On Oct 04, 2013
stebell: @ OP, yu caption dis story as wicked. I wanna ask yu aint yu tired of using 2nd hand goods like shoes, clothes, cars etc. I wanna believe yu still use 2nd hand electronics.
Think new and be renewed.
Wat de govt has done is jus to encourage our economy.

Guy the market for 2nd hand goods still exists because there are people out there who can only afford it.
Imagine buying a 2010 CRV that is 2nd hand for instance and paying less that half of the cost of a brand new one.
Brand new definitely has its benefits, don't get me wrong but how many people can afford it?
And let's face it, even when there was PAN- the Nigerian Automobile industry was simply existing as vehicle assembly and not manufacturing.
I predict that this new policy will not end well. The FGN wants to create new jobs for a minute few in the automobile industry while either completely eradicating or reducing the incomes of so many others such as Clearing agents, some Nigerians in the diaspora and even the Nigerian Customs(truth be told)!
If the locally made cars will be brand new, then we may have a problem.
Let's face it, we have a government that implements zero or minimal feasibility planning before taking action on so many policies and this is one of them.

7 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 04, 2013
ayusco85: This is too early joor. wait o before u increase the tariff. Peoples cars are already on the high sea about to enter the country. Better implement it next year from january 1st.
that wait o, wait o, u ppl always have, a sympatetic way of analysing irregularities is wht makes D oil refineries, D electricity, and other things nt working in this nation. Who will want to stop even till 2014 1st? For us to turn to doing right in this country ppl must be affected(a few ppl) but at D end it will turn to D betterment of all.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by elliottibanga(m): 10:38am On Oct 04, 2013
iamswizz: No electricity
No security
No good roads

But still, Gej till 2019

Stop talking through your aR$eh0le!

3 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by nerodenero: 10:40am On Oct 04, 2013
Tariff on imported tokunbo aircraft should be raised or in fact place a total ban on them.

5 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by nerodenero: 10:42am On Oct 04, 2013
iamswizz: No electricity
No security
No good roads

But still, Gej till 2019
What are you saying?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2 Ways To Obtain A Tint Permit For Your Vehicle / 2018 Range Rover Velar Revealed / Peugeot 508: The Beauty Nigerians Deserve.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.