Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised (27103 Views)

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 / Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by Exponental(m): 11:25am On Oct 04, 2013
There is no need for an increase on tariffs. A good car (product) will sale without advert.

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by oseo1(m): 11:25am On Oct 04, 2013
Bossforeva: #TeamINNOSON..
Can someone tell me the cars in their lineup.

They have an suv and a pickup as well as about 10 different buses
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by Beaf1: 11:25am On Oct 04, 2013
The Government should set an example by patronizing locally manufactured cars like Innoson. When I see Innoson jeeps among Jonathans motorcade then I will believe.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by latola05(m): 11:27am On Oct 04, 2013
This is sometimes called Import-Substitution in Economics! I love the initiative provided the government will find a way to also improve road network in the country.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 04, 2013
This will only be good if the price of locally made cars is less or equivalent to that of tokunbo cars, if not, it makes no sense because the average and poor Nigerians will not be able to afford this new cars (including imported new cars whose tariff is not increased). They will have no other option than to trek or board commercial vehicles while the rich will be the only ones driving new cars on our roads- what a difference in class! sad
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by texazzpete(m): 11:29am On Oct 04, 2013
ose_o: While unpopular I am with the government on this one, they are not stopping you from bringing in the tokumbo cars, but you will have to pay to get them.

When government did the same thing with clothes a few years ago people screamed, yet look at that sector now in Nigeria it's booming.

Until the government made a move like this the automotive industry would never improve. The next step is for the government to stop using foreign produced cars, thereby directly funding the local industry. Can you imagine the sales of innoson if all the arms of government used only their cars?

And like all things in life, you get better with experience, innoson is a relatively new company, yet their new buses are quite good, so imagine where they can/will be in 10 years.

Imagine this llama comparing clothes market to cars!

In a free market, healthy competition must be encouraged. If Innoson cannot compete in terms of features and price, why should other people suffer for it? Where are the Innoson adverts on TV? Where are his flyers? Where are his crash safety ratings? Why is he not showcasing his cars at VERY attractive prices in all the states of the Federation?

I'm not interested in the sales of Innoson. I'm interested in the ability of the common man to be able to afford a decent, modern vehicle. It may be Innoson, it may be Toyota. Don't make this an 'innoson' thing. Let the consumer vote with his naira and buy what appeals to him. It's as simple as that.

Nigerians already pay to buy Tokunbo cars. We have many Nigerians killed because we drive old, unsafe cars, we have money spent on fuel subsidy because people are still driving hundreds of thousands of smoky, fuel inefficient vehicles. The Government ought to have looked at schemes to even further reduce import duties on cars, while simultaneously giving the likes of Innoson tax breaks to allow them sell their cars at cheaper prices to attract customers until they become an established brand. This announcement is imbecilic and anyone in support of this has to be deranged.

13 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by plasmadocument: 11:30am On Oct 04, 2013
Tokunbo cars and New cars can exist together side by side in harmony.
In more serious climes one can access a motor plan either from the employer or from the bank and buy a brand new car.
For those who are not fortunate enough to qualify for this, they can save and buy a Tokunbo (fairly used) car.
We do not need to make Tokunbo expensive.
After all we always encourage people to cut their coat according to their...
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by yemmy69: 11:32am On Oct 04, 2013
Boom for Cotonu Business

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by profbumbe: 11:32am On Oct 04, 2013
Naija,we never learn,no power yet,u dey increase tokunbo tarrif...tokunbo wet boys dey take compensate,u want to make it illegal again.where is the will power,where is the commitment,who are the manufacturers,when will the first locally made car be ready,how durable will it be,don't tell me a comitee wil monitor them...renenber EFCc,who benefit in all this?naija we never learn.let someone tell oga presi to put real mechanism in place b4 fussing a nation like ours....i tire o
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by oseo1(m): 11:33am On Oct 04, 2013
Exponental: There is no need for an increase on tariffs. A good car (product) will sale without advert.

That is a lie, who do mercedes, bmw, audi and all the top manufacturers spend millions of dollars advertising.

If you look around the world it's only in Africa you will see that the local automotive industry isn't doing well, and that is because we do not patronise local companies.

Take the USA, the government only uses cars by GM, Chevy and ford, you will never see an American president in a Mercedes as his official car or even one in his fleet

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by orgasticdance: 11:35am On Oct 04, 2013
Every reasonable Nigerian wants a country that can produce its own cars/goods but the execution of this major policy is DOA. A country that cannot boast of a middle class and basics like sustainable electricity, a decent road infrastructure and a burgeoning steel industry has no business with making its own cars. Segun Agangu and The minister of information Labaran Maku are just blowhards who want be seen to be working but have not thought this one through.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by LajaLaba: 11:37am On Oct 04, 2013
Jesus wept cry

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by mkoabiola: 11:38am On Oct 04, 2013
Sycophant in power.
It is easier said than done.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by LugardIzime: 11:38am On Oct 04, 2013
eria is one of the richest countries in the world with the largest population poor people because of bad government.Now, why will FG not let the poor masses be.People are buying Tokumbo cars as Motorcycle is gradually facing out in the country and now they want to make things more difficult for the poor by promising to build a bridge even where there's no river.How can someone consider the introdution of assembling plant when we don't have good electricity and to worsen the matter,they want to count their eggs before they are hatched by first increasing the price of tokumbo before establishing the manufacturing company.FG should please stop inflicting pains on the poor masses.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by latola05(m): 11:39am On Oct 04, 2013
Good development!
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by COOLDUN: 11:40am On Oct 04, 2013
texazzpete:

In a free market, healthy competition must be encouraged. If Innoson cannot compete in terms of features and price, why should other people suffer for it? Where are the Innoson adverts on TV? Where are his flyers? Where are his crash safety ratings? Why is he not showcasing his cars at VERY attractive prices in all the states of the Federation?

I'm not interested in the sales of Innoson. I'm interested in the ability of the common man to be able to afford a decent, modern vehicle. It may be Innoson, it may be Toyota. Don't make this an 'innoson' thing. Let the consumer vote with his naira and buy what appeals to him. It's as simple as that.

Nigerians already pay to buy Tokunbo cars. We have many Nigerians killed because we drive old, unsafe cars, we have money spent on fuel subsidy because people are still driving hundreds of thousands of smoky, fuel inefficient vehicles. The Government ought to have looked at schemes to even further reduce import duties on cars, while simultaneously giving the likes of Innoson tax breaks to allow them sell their cars at cheaper prices to attract customers until they become an established brand. This announcement is imbecilic and anyone in support of this has to be deranged.

Very sensible my dear we always take in any thing this government gives us no matther how harmful they are, Innonson, Innonson,Innonson, bla,bla,bla is only Innonson and few other car companies going to produce the cars that can supliment the needs of the fiarly used cars? I doubt it. This is an anti masses policy again.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by sulex11(m): 11:41am On Oct 04, 2013
Why Govt is always taking decision before making any effort for its citizen safe landing!!!
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by LugardIzime: 11:42am On Oct 04, 2013
Nigeria is one of the richest countries in the world with the largest population of poor people because of bad government.Now, why will FG not let the poor masses be.People are buying Tokumbo cars as Motorcycle is gradually facing out in the country and now they want to make things more difficult for the poor by promising to build a bridge even where there's no river.How can someone consider the introdution of assembling plant when we don't have good electricity and to worsen the matter,they want to count their eggs before they are hatched by first increasing the price of tokumbo before establishing the manufacturing company.FG should please stop inflicting pains on the poor masses.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 04, 2013
sulex11: Why Govt is always taking decision before making any effort for its citizen safe landing!!!
That is how you identify a government that is clueless.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by oseo1(m): 11:44am On Oct 04, 2013
texazzpete:

No need for name calling, we are supposed to be adults here.

I am not attempting to make it an innoson thing, I used them as an example, and for your information imports are expensive everywhere in the world. And since your fellow Nigerians have kolo mentality and believe everything foreign is better it's up to the government to stimulate growth in the sector.

If you look at the transporters a lot of them are using innoson buses. Innoson doesn't have a range of passenger cars yet but I'm sure they will soon.

There are many advantages to pushing our local automotive industry and it goes far beyond the sales of innoson vehicles. Take for example spare parts, we spend billions every year bring in spare parts (often fake), the local companies produce theirs here, creating jobs, they train service technicians, (more jobs) thereby keeping more money in our economy.

I hear what you are saying about a free market, however growth of our economy should come first in my opinion. When the foreign companies are assembling here we can bother with a free market.

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by solomon111(m): 11:46am On Oct 04, 2013
Beaf!:
The Lion assembled in France will always be better that the one assembled in Kaduna wink

Raise the tariff we will still afford to buy them. I like my machine to be assembled in Germany.
Now Nigerians like you will blame the FG for unemployment.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by tomwealth: 11:46am On Oct 04, 2013
As dey discuraged the puchase of imported car dey should first buy the locally made one so we can all replicate. Chaos.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by NONEEB: 11:49am On Oct 04, 2013
Naija nd gra-gra sef,y increase d tariff wen u've nt started producing...I wori o
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by solomon111(m): 11:50am On Oct 04, 2013
Most of the excuses given on this thread are weak,and i won't be surprised if the people giving this lame excuses are chronic importers of junks.
Saboteurs of the Nigerian economy.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by viperman: 11:52am On Oct 04, 2013
Very Good move at the WRONGEST OF TIME.

[size=13pt]Get your cheapest car deals at www.viperautos.com and GET DAILY UPDATES ON FACEBOOK ON www.facebook.com/ViperAutos[/size]
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by Anniettieufia(m): 11:52am On Oct 04, 2013
write2obi: Did they Ban importation of Used cars or will just increase the tariff to discourage us from buying? Anyone pls?

Did you read through the news before asking this Question ?

Or you just wanted to be the first to comment ?
Google it .
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by babalawo(m): 11:53am On Oct 04, 2013
Dumb people same Government that admitted that the cant police the borders with respect to refine oil smuggling to neighboring countries. same Government that cant tackle illegal bunkering now wants to increase tariff to protect an industry that has not even been incubated and that does not have the power to birth such industry..... more money to custom officers more money to Cotonou govt..... in smuggling we trust!

2 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by solomon111(m): 11:55am On Oct 04, 2013
viperman:

Very Good move at the WRONGEST OF TIME.

Give me your reasons and let me debunk them.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by mrtidy(m): 11:57am On Oct 04, 2013
Clueless govt, instead of increasing the tarrif for imported ones why not make the local ones more competitive and cheaper than the imported ones!!!
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by solomon111(m): 11:58am On Oct 04, 2013
babalawo: Dumb people same Government that admitted that the cant police the borders with respect to refine oil smuggling to neighboring countries. same Government that cant tackle illegal bunkering now wants to increase tariff to protect an industry that has not even been incubated and that does not have the power to birth such industry..... more money to custom officers more money to Cotonou govt..... in smuggling we trust!
There is no 100% water-tight border in the world.
Even the US border is porous.
Though i believe the govt should tighten up the border more,that dosen't mean we can't take steps like this to better our economy.
Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by BizBooks(m): 12:02pm On Oct 04, 2013
murphy02: The issue is, how many Nigerians can afford a brand new car?

It is true that very few Nigerians can afford a brand new car. It is also true that very few Americans can
afford a brand new car. But in America, very many people drive brand new cars. How are they able to do
that one may ask. It is simply because here in the US, you are given up to 5 years to finish payment for
your brand new car.

For instance, if you wish to buy a $30,000 car, you do not have to go to the car dealership with $30,000.
In fact if you do, they will report you to the FBI once you leave their office (the law requires them to do that).
All you have to do is sign a loan agreement with the dealership, choose how long you wish to pay for the car
(usually 3 or 5 years) and off you go with your new car.

That's how I bought my car and that's how almost everybody here buys their cars. If the government or
banks can provide car loans, this system can also work in Nigeria.

P.S: In the US, if you fail to make 2 consecutive monthly payments on your new car, the dealership will
cease it and re-sell it to somebody else.

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised by solomon111(m): 12:02pm On Oct 04, 2013
mrtidy: Clueless govt, instead of increasing the tarrif for imported ones why not make the local ones more competitive and cheaper than the imported ones!!!
The imported ones will be cheaper at first due to many factors.
But with time and competition in the system,the local ones will be become cheaper.
That's how it's all over the world.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2 Ways To Obtain A Tint Permit For Your Vehicle / 2018 Range Rover Velar Revealed / Peugeot 508: The Beauty Nigerians Deserve.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.