Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,799 members, 7,844,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Onitsha International Airport? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha International Airport? (11076 Views)

Amaechi Inspects Port-Harcourt International Airport - Photos / MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Where Is Gej's Enugu "International Airport"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha International Airport? by manny4life(m): 10:43am On Oct 10, 2013
kettykin: A small but standard international Airport would cost about N70b , anambra has the option of going ahead with the international airport project or investing in another means of mass transit that could solve the perennial traffic congestion in onitsha and environs. An instance could be building an industrial estate along the onitsha enugu express way, building a world class estate for the middle class along the same route, developing an internal rail link between onitsha and nnewi and awka. Or an intercity rail link. Also the 70b could be invested in the concession of onitsha ses/river port acquisition of vessels , storage facilities, staff package, development of viable routes etc
The money can be used to facilitate work in Orient refinery /petrochemicals airport can come much later

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who sees other opportunities other than an airport, we seriously need a rail link between these three cities. This would move hundreds of thousands of passengers daily, and also I'm vying for the Onitisha river network, if dredged to a deeper depth, it can handle thousands of people who like to come across the Niger to trade and also handle million of tons of goods. We really need to get our act together.

Ozonna:

Seems like ORIENT REFINERY has entered voicemail? Have they started crude oil production? What's the latest gist as regards the refinery?

If Dangote completes his own, its game over for Orient.

How is it game over? Orient is pretty much serving the SE axis I believe and their volume is like 1/3rd compared to that of Dangote, everyone is doing business on their own, let the best man win. On the issue of Orient, the company's website looks like a joke, I doubt this company has any serious fund to execute all these project. Chino once said that it was the revenue from crude oil that will build the refinery, like seriously? These are the same people wanting to handle an international airport? I laugh in Swahili.... Anyway, anything for my people.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by bestview: 11:25am On Oct 10, 2013
I don't know why am wasting my breath talking about a project that has gone half way. A project its site has been secured and EIA concluded and awaiting ground breaking is what people are talking about. A state like Anambra needs the airport more than the people that even has it now.
@Manny read the link I posted on the airport project. As for the airport is already a done deal. Let's start talking about speed rail or something else.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by manny4life(m): 11:34am On Oct 10, 2013
bestview: I don't know why am wasting my breath talking about a project that has gone half way. A project its site has been secured and EIA concluded and awaiting ground breaking is what people are talking about. @Manny read the link I posted on the airport project. As for the airport is already a done deal. Let's start talking about speed rail or something else.

Chino nwanne, I understand the airport is a done deal, and I'm not killing the idea, all I'm saying that the time is virgin... Anambra needs other infrastructures before an airport. Besides, you're right, let's start talking about other stuff link a HSR between Onitsha - Nnewi - Awka and where's the link?
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by IGBOSON1: 12:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
manny4life:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who sees other opportunities other than an airport, we seriously need a rail link between these three cities. This would move hundreds of thousands of passengers daily, and also I'm vying for the Onitisha river network, if dredged to a deeper depth, it can handle thousands of people who like to come across the Niger to trade and also handle million of tons of goods. We really need to get our act together.

How is it game over? Orient is pretty much serving the SE axis I believe and their volume is like 1/3rd compared to that of Dangote, everyone is doing business on their own, let the best man win. On the issue of Orient, the company's website looks like a joke, I doubt this company has any serious fund to execute all these project. Chino once said that it was the revenue from crude oil that will build the refinery, like seriously? These are the same people wanting to handle an international airport? I laugh in Swahili.... Anyway, anything for my people.

Ozonna:

Seems like ORIENT REFINERY has entered voicemail? Have they started crude oil production? What's the latest gist as regards the refinery?

If Dangote completes his own, its game over for Orient.

^^^I really don't know what's happening with that refinery? They started talking about it some 5 or more years ago, yet absolutely nothing has happened so far! I'm surprised someone as respected and eminent as Chief Emeka Anyaoku has anything to do with this charade!

I find it frustrating and annoying concerning some developmental projects in the South East (2nd Niger Bridge; Orient refinery; Onitsha River Port; Enugu Monorail; Megamall that 2 years ago Anyi Okonkwo said would be built in Owerri; most of Rochas eye catching projects for Owerri, Okigwe and Orlu; the LG business centre we were told is being built in Anambra; etc-etc-etc) .....all we get is the initial excitement and action, then after a few months everything fizzles out, dies down and nobody is concerned anymore as they move to the next pie-in-the-sky to hype up and use to give us a false sense of expectation over.

I still feel i'm amongst just a very small number that realize just how critical things are in the South East, and how little time and resources we have to develop our region to world-class international standards! The rest are interested in nothing but stupi/d talk, hype, and making empty party-political boasts of how their useless governors are laying solid foundations for shi/tty local gov't type developmental strides!
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by manny4life(m): 1:08pm On Oct 10, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^I really don't know what's happening with that refinery? They started talking about it some 5 or more years ago, yet absolutely nothing has happened so far! I'm surprised someone as respected and eminent as Chief Emeka Anyaoku has anything to do with this charade!

I find it frustrating and annoying concerning some developmental projects in the South East (2nd Niger Bridge; Orient refinery; Onitsha River Port; Enugu Monorail; Megamall that 2 years ago Anyi Okonkwo said would be built in Owerri; most of Rochas eye catching projects for Owerri, Okigwe and Orlu; the LG business centre we were told is being built in Anambra; etc-etc-etc) .....all we get is the initial excitement and action, then after a few months everything fizzles out, dies down and nobody is concerned anymore as they move to the next pie-in-the-sky to hype up and use to give us a false sense of expectation over.

I still feel i'm amongst just a very small number that realize just how critical things are in the South East, and how little time and resources we have to develop our region to world-class international standards! The rest are interested in nothing but stupi/d talk, hype, and making empty party-political boasts of how their useless governors are laying solid foundations for shi/tty local gov't type developmental strides!

It's disheartening to think all these projects are seriously lagging, a "mere charade", the issue is the Igbo leaders and the people don't have the mindset to improve what's theirs, yet are very quick to develop others. Imagine when that River Port was dredged, yet it's not in use and we want development whereas even if it smacks us on the face, we'll miss it. I realized that the average Igbo man mindset is set on business (for himself) which is TRADE (buying and selling), no one wants to invest in long term investment and that's because of poor education.

Once before I asked, why did Cosmas Maduka invest more than $120million in Ifeanyi Uba oil depot, whereas he could have channeled that money to something useful. That money will open a mid-size turnkey refinery with feedstock, lay about 20miles of pipeline to a depot center, and even build other shipping facilities. If he wanted to change something, he could have opened a manufacturing estate, build midsize buildings with it's own transport/electrical/storage network. That will create several thousands of jobs, but NO, he invested in ifeanyi who lost the money.

Same applied to Cletus Ibeto who's in a tussle with Dangote and the govt, why does Ibeto want to just import whereas he can have a manufacturing center though small. Where is the value in importing? These are the questions we need asking ourselves because the moment we change our mindset, all these other things will start coming to live. Sometimes you wish you had different people with wealth and power so they can create a difference, our set of leaders and wealthy men are literally clueless on what strategic development is.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha International Airport? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 2:19pm On Oct 10, 2013
Who is Onitsha International Airport suppose to benefit? At the moment, Anambra needs a world class Seaport. We can attain this by lobbying the Federal Go to convert the River Port to Seaport or build one by our self.

Form a partnership with Uduaghan Government for the expansion of Asaba International Airport Terminal Two.

I hate wen people never use their brain to see the bigger picture rather than trying to rubbish the effort of their neighbours.

Their should be a partnership between Asaba and Onitsha.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by bestview: 2:55pm On Oct 10, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Who is Onitsha International Airport suppose to benefit? At the moment, Anambra needs a world class Seaport. We can attain this by lobbying the Federal Go to convert the River Port to Seaport or build one by our self.

Form a partnership with Uduaghan Government for the expansion of Asaba International Airport Terminal Two.

I hate wen people never use their brain to see the bigger picture rather than trying to rubbish the effort of their neighbours.

Their should be a partnership between Asaba and Onitsha.

Why not the two states form partnership and expand delta state govt house so that Obi and Uduaghan can use it?

There is no need to cry over a project that has almost taken off. Orient Petroleum has concluded some prelimnaries on the Anambra International Cargo Airport like EIA.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by kcjazz(m): 3:33pm On Oct 10, 2013
Anambra or Onitsha DOES NOT NEED AN AIRPORT. Where were they when Asaba built an airport? A bus from Asaba Airport junction to Onitsha main market is N100 so why waste money on another elephant project instead of sharing especially when Onitsha has an upper hand in the economic activity in Asaba. Fix the roads, explore sea and rail transport and security.

The leaders from Anambra are just...
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by bestview: 4:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
If I will say it was Delta that built a white elephant project because in reality Asaba is a dry place, it really never needed an airport in first place.

So Delta purposely built the airport to tap from the human and capital resources in Onitsha and Nnewi to the benefit of its IGR. Thereby denying Anambra from benefiting from its own resources.

Again there is no need to stay on NL and rant whether Anambra needs it or not when actually the prelimnary work on the airport is ongoing.

If there is any state that needs an airports its Anambra. The good news is that they now have an approval from FG to construct international Cargo airport and its ongoing.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by manny4life(m): 4:11pm On Oct 10, 2013
Oh well, I'm more concerned about the seaport and intercity rail lines.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by kcjazz(m): 4:49pm On Oct 10, 2013
bestview: If I will say it was Delta that built a white elephant project because in reality Asaba is a dry place, it really never needed an airport in first place.

So Delta purposely built the airport to tap from the human and capital resources in Onitsha and Nnewi to the benefit of its IGR. Thereby denying Anambra from benefiting from its own resources.

Again there is no need to stay on NL and rant whether Anambra needs it or not when actually the prelimnary work on the airport is ongoing.

If there is any state that needs an airports its Anambra. The good news is that they now have an approval from FG to construct international Cargo airport and its ongoing.

Actually based on FAAN airport traffic data Delta state had a legitimate reason to build an airport. After Lagos, Abuja, Kano and marginally Port Harcourt, the Osubi airstrip in Warri had most traffic in the country. Asaba is more central compared to Warri

Yes airport has been approved but is it what Anambra needs? Even a second Niger bridge will do wonders than an airport that won't pay for itself.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:13pm On Oct 10, 2013
bestview:

Why not the two states form partnership and expand delta state govt house so that Obi and Uduaghan can use it?

There is no need to cry over a project that has almost taken off. Orient Petroleum has concluded some prelimnaries on the Anambra International Cargo Airport like EIA.

You know very well that Anambra made no contribution to the construction of Asaba International Airport so the aforementioned in your write up is off-point.

manny4life: Oh well, I'm more concerned about the seaport and intercity rail lines.

This is where the challenge lies and i challenge Anambra to build a world class seaport at Onitsha and Inter-city rail line. Not your bus station convertion international cargo airport. We can lobby Asaba to build a second terminal and partner them for a third Niger Bridge.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha International Airport? by bestview: 6:09pm On Oct 10, 2013
We should partner Delta to expand their govt house to accomodate Obi and Uduaghan.

That was the same mistake we made some decades ago. When we lost few thing to other states. Anambrans are too accomodating for my liking. We partner them to do 2nd run way, we partner them to build 3rd niger bridge when they do not even give a fvck about your 2nd niger bridge. Just listen to yourself.

Lemme tell u when the chips are down 'our is our and your own is youe own. And that is why I see reason with Orient Petroleum for championing the International Cargo airport in Anambra.

I keep saying that no state should build airport with the hope of tapping from other state's human and capital resources. That was exactly what delta did, they never considered what was good for their people rather they embarked on a white elephant project just for the fun of it.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by bestview: 6:13pm On Oct 10, 2013
kcjazz:

Actually based on FAAN airport traffic data Delta state had a legitimate reason to build an airport. After Lagos, Abuja, Kano and marginally Port Harcourt, the Osubi airstrip in Warri had most traffic in the country. Asaba is more central compared to Warri

Yes airport has been approved but is it what Anambra needs? Even a second Niger bridge will do wonders than an airport that won't pay for itself.

What reason does delta have to site an airport where there is no form of economic activity?

When you talk about return on investment. Lemme make it clear to you that Anambra airport will be 2nd busiest airport in Nigeria after Lagos.

Like I said earlier Anambra needs the airport even more than the people that has it now. My overall joy is that the project is ongoing..
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:38pm On Oct 10, 2013
bestview: We should partner Delta to expand their govt house to accomodate Obi and Uduaghan.

That was the same mistake we made some decades ago. When we lost few thing to other states. Anambrans are too accomodating for my liking. We partner them to do 2nd run way, we partner them to build 3rd niger bridge when they do not even give a fvck about your 2nd niger bridge. Just listen to yourself.

Lemme tell u when the chips are down 'our is our and your own is youe own. And that is why I see reason with Orient Petroleum for championing the International Cargo airport in Anambra.

I keep saying that no state should build airport with the hope of tapping from other state's human and capital resources. That was exactly what delta did, they never considered what was good for their people rather they embarked on a white elephant project just for the fun of it.

I agreee to disagree... Being in politics is about common interest and strategic development. Is their an interest in the development of Asaba? Yes, becos we are the same people that criticise Delta for the lack of development in Asaba and wen they embark on such development, it is proper to support and encourage our neighbors for longevity as their success is our success.

For now Onitsha can greatly be transformed by just having a world class seaport and passenger interstate rail line for trade expansion and also revenue generation.

I guarantee you that both seaport(don't forget cargo trains) and rail line will generate more revenue adding to the igr of that state than any airport at the moment. As the city grows, an international cargo airport only at onitsha will be desirable and then passenger and cargo airport later.

Baby steps before giant strides. No reason why Asaba and Onitsha cannot share a common interest and develop simultaneously together. Even Asaba can also have a seaport later too. The key is cooperation
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by ujoinme: 7:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by ujoinme: 7:58pm On Oct 10, 2013
[img]BMnyvuWySbc#t=214[/img]
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 8:25am On Oct 11, 2013
ujoinme: [img]BMnyvuWySbc#t=214[/img]
Can't see any picture!
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 8:36am On Oct 11, 2013
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 3:37pm On Oct 13, 2013
invest-now2013:
Can't see anything!
still waiting for the pictures!
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 3:39pm On Oct 13, 2013
All Hands must be involved to deliver This important Project!
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 4:54pm On Oct 13, 2013
kettykin: A small but standard international Airport would cost about N70b , anambra has the option of going ahead with the international airport project or investing in another means of mass transit that could solve the perennial traffic congestion in onitsha and environs. An instance could be building an industrial estate along the onitsha enugu express way, building a world class estate for the middle class along the same route, developing an internal rail link between onitsha and nnewi and awka. Or an intercity rail link. Also the 70b could be invested in the concession of onitsha ses/river port acquisition of vessels , storage facilities, staff package, development of viable routes etc
The money can be used to facilitate work in Orient refinery /petrochemicals airport can come much later
13 Billion Naira will deliver Onitsha Airport. Bauchi State is building a Standard Airport with 13Billion Naira Only! Why can't Anambra state?

1 Like

Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 4:59pm On Oct 13, 2013
Bauchi is building a Power Plant with 31 BILLION Naira Only! Why can't Anambra State?
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 5:17pm On Oct 15, 2013
manny4life: Oh well, I'm more concerned about the seaport and intercity rail lines.
That is also very good!
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 5:22pm On Oct 15, 2013
bestview: We should partner Delta to expand their govt house to accomodate Obi and Uduaghan.

Some of us do fail to understand that every place has their own interests and Onitsha/ Anambra-State should not be an exception.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 11:11am On Oct 19, 2013
Let's challenge those who are aspiring to Rule Anambra-State to see the need for a Functional Airport in Onitsha/ Anambra-State.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 11:14am On Oct 19, 2013
Onitsha should be given all the modern facilities required of a City in This 21 first century.Airport is One of Them!
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by kettykings: 12:27pm On Oct 19, 2013
invest-now2013:
13 Billion Naira will deliver Onitsha Airport. Bauchi State is buildinmaximallyd Airport with 13Billion Naira Only! Why can't Anambra state?
Bauchi can only build a second air strip besides thefirst air strip , distance between Bauchi andGombe , Bauchi and jos is about 120km and these cities have airport. The air strip or airport Bauchi can build for 13b is only for airlift of pilgrims.Bauchi does not have the middle class to sustain an international airport.
Anambra has far more pressing economic needs than an international airport which will only benefit maximally 40% of the population. How about going inter state partnership with delta airport just like imo and Abia jointly use and own Imo airport and doing other economic partnership/alliance like jointly funding an independent power station/petrochemical refinery. Onitsha and Nnewi needs urgently a constant source of electricity which they can do in partnership with Barth Nnaji or emeka offor than go into an uncertain international airport when there are 3 ready alternatives close by
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by kettykings: 12:40pm On Oct 19, 2013
manny4life:

I quite agree with you manny , nothing kills a city or state faster than an elitist project designed to favour only the top and middle class.
I have for some time been wondering on why Tinapa failed despite the accolade and vision behind it Tinapa was designed for the Elites and not for the masses, very good railway line between the major cities in Anambra will go a long way to speed up economic activities and bring down costs of business transactions. Also an independent power station will do Nnewi and Onitsha a lot good and facilitate round the clock manufacturing and setting up of new business/factories

As per orient refinery , a change in the business model is required, rather than go it alone they can do a public offering to raise money from igbo businesses and business men , Dangote just took a whopping $4b loan for his refinery , also the refinery should be relocated towards Onitsha for some reasons I can't share here. This refinery is long overdue in fact orient should by now be planning for expansion/upgrades from 50000 barrels per day to say 250000 barrels per day
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by originbm: 1:05pm On Oct 19, 2013
rafindo: it is only in nigeria dat airport are built out of sentiment nd politics/onitsha metropolis has no land for such project.an airstrip with a funtional monorail systrm is better.no olympic size stadium yet,decent skyline nd good infrastructure.airport business is not groundnut or spare part trade.

you started of accusing people of tribal sentiment in trying to develop their place,and ended up the butt of ur own joke.people that are into spare part and groundnut trade hv no business with airports...envy is a mocker. it will always throw up the petiness in you..
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by Chino72: 2:18pm On Oct 19, 2013
kettykings:
Bauchi can only build a second air strip besides thefirst air strip , distance between Bauchi andGombe , Bauchi and jos is about 120km and these cities have airport. The air strip or airport Bauchi can build for 13b is only for airlift of pilgrims.Bauchi does not have the middle class to sustain an international airport.
Anambra has far more pressing economic needs than an international airport which will only benefit maximally 40% of the population. How about going inter state partnership with delta airport just like imo and Abia jointly use and own Imo airport and doing other economic partnership/alliance like jointly funding an independent power station/petrochemical refinery. Onitsha and Nnewi needs urgently a constant source of electricity which they can do in partnership with Barth Nnaji or emeka offor than go into an uncertain international airport when there are 3 ready alternatives close by

I hardly understand how some of you reason. Sometimes I wonder if some of you people are under some sort of spell? You should have asked Anambra to help expand Delta state government house for the use of Obi and Uduaghan instead of having theirs.

Do you know what the combination of Onitsha Port and an International Cargo Airport will do to the economy of Anambra? All the state should develop at their own pace. If Delta state built an airport, it built it for its own purpose and does not expect Anambra not build its own. Do you know what Anambra has been loosing because of no airport in the state? Do you know that the airport equally serve the emerging oil & gas economy of the state.

Anambra is long over due for the International Cargo Airport. Thank goodness for the securing of the site and very soon the actual groundbreaking of the Anambra International Cargo/Passenger airport will take off.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by Chino72: 2:22pm On Oct 19, 2013
Am forced to shared this classified document. In the diagram it show the site for the International Cargo/Passenger airport, Orient Petroleum and Refinery facility, housing estate, hospitality and amusement facilities. etc

This is the map of Anambra north zone where the Oil wells and Anambra River are located. It is the same area the Refinery and the International cargo airport is being sited.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FULL TEXT: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala And The Missing Trillions Pt.1-Chukwuma C. Soludo / We Have No Problem With Jonathan —buhari’s Committee / Falana: "Arms From Libya Sold To Boko Haram"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.