Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,422 members, 7,815,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja (35061 Views)

Presidential Air Fleet Expenditure 2015 - Presidency / Presidency Reacts To Report Buhari Spent N6billion On Presidential Air Fleet In / The Untold Story Of The Nigerian Presidential Air Fleet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 06, 2013
shymexx:

I honestly don't think there's anything historical and educative about wasteful spending. And the only thing expository about it, is the fact that, Nigerian leaders - both past and present - are the scums of the earth. These people were selected and elected, either through the barrel of a gun or by elections, to serve the people - not themselves. So evidently if the people they are/were there to serve are in abject poverty, despite all the country's huge resources - then the head should know how to cut it coat according to its cloth.

Yes, the poor would always blame the rich - however, in a situation where the rich is culpable, then justice must be served and served cold.
That was a beautiful end to your argument and I want to affirm that justice is being served.

How else can we rationalize a crash of a plane of the corpse of a politician who once was aviation minister after death by a heart attack ? what was he thinking before the attack ? Having said that, we should be clamoring for salary slashes, resources control, state police and social welfare programmes, overhauling of education sector, revamping of Medicare, single digit interest rate and housing.

Presidential fleet needs more funding also so as to equip them with anti-missile detectors.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Fkforyou(m): 2:36pm On Oct 06, 2013
^^^Damn,off all the countries mention above we have the lowest PCI but with the heighest fleet,thats mind disturbing but offcourse we Nigerians don't care infact expect sombody to come and defend that post....
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 2:38pm On Oct 06, 2013
Mobsync: And can we say same of the Nigerian Air force wing not under the presidential air fleet?
Flying Chengu F-7's (which is already out of production in China) and Dornier/Dassault Alpha jets (which are glorified trainer jets?).

Let the government upgrade the air force then we can talk business.

You are absolutely spot on. The Airforce needs modern jets like the F-15 or F-16, to truly be prepared to defend Nigeria from the air. At least, 40 of those jets should be purchased.
Alternatively, the DICON (Defense Industry Corporation of Nigeria) could be empowered to manufacture fighter jets locally, as they've done with the army's APCs.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 06, 2013
@Gbawe

Always summarize your points and present facts relevant to the thread. Some of us are on phone and old fashion. so we do not have the luxury of time to separate chaff from rice. I havent read your post. its labourous to go through the mountains of unrelated jargons.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 06, 2013
CFCfan:

You are absolutely spot on. The Airforce needs modern jets like the F-15 or F-16, to truly be prepared to defend Nigeria from the air. At least, 40 of those jets should be purchased.
Alternatively, the DICON (Defense Industry Corporation of Nigeria) could be empowered to manufacture fighter jets locally, as they've done with the army's APCs.

Lets not speculate. I dont think we are ill-equipped in terms of air capabilities. we are legion.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 06, 2013
I agree that maintaining 10 airplanes is a little ostentatious. To cut costs, the Predidency could sell about 9 of them; and purchase 2 B787 dreamliners. The BBJ should still be kept in addition to the helicopters.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by manny4life(m): 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2013
CFCfan:

40 Jets? CFC you want to thief abi? You know the price tag of one of this plane and their maintenance isn't cheap? Ask yourself how much our defense budget is?

As to the PAF, in all honesty, I think it's excessive as well. We need to cut down and save, this is the only way to restructure ourselves.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by manny4life(m): 2:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
CFCfan: I agree that maintaining 10 airplanes is a little ostentatious. To cut costs, the Predidency could sell about 9 of them; and purchase 2 B787 dreamliners. The BBJ should still be kept in addition to the helicopters.

The Dreamliners are experiencing setbacks, not a good choice for the fleet but good idea though.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by stanuplane(m): 2:54pm On Oct 06, 2013
Jesus!!!!!!!! Did any of u read all that stuff?? Na exam
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 06, 2013
I hardly read long post on Nairaland but i did read this, wooooooow impressed i will be thier one day...I dont blame our leaders anyway, Humans are just created to be wasteful even when others have no food to eat.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 06, 2013
Billyonaire: That was a beautiful end to your argument and I want to affirm that justice is being served.

How else can we rationalize a crash of a plane of the corpse of a politician who once was aviation minister after death by a heart attack ? what was he thinking before the attack ? Having said that, we should be clamoring for salary slashes, resources control, state police and social welfare programmes, overhauling of education sector, revamping of Medicare, single digit interest rate and housing.

Presidential fleet needs more funding also so as to equip them with anti-missile detectors.

Bruv, what's the correlation between justice being served and a dead corrupt/kleptomaniac politician? If anything, the aviation ministry should held accountable for the never ending plane crashes in that country. However, no empathy for the dead man - I believe those who found his coffin/corpse at the crash site should have peed on it and killed him for the third time. A dead devil doesn't deserve any respect whatsoever. If he wanted it, he would've earned it while he was alive.

Yes, Nigerians should be clamouring for what you cited. And I believe they're already doing that. However, the question is: what's the incumbent doing about effecting these things? He's in-charge now and he needs to strive to write his name in gold. I also believe you're somewhat close to those in power (judging by posts). So what are you doing in your own capacity to bring those things you referenced to the notice to the powers-that-be in your circle?

Moreover, the presidential fleet is already over-funded as it is and the funding needs to be slashed. There's absolutely no threat against the Nigerian president in the sky - and I still don't know why he needs more than one presidential jet, since Nigeria is almost next to irrelevant in international politics. Where's he travelling to and to do what, with those air crafts? What needs to be funded, for security, should be the Nigerian airforce. You can't defend your country with those obsolete alpha jets. Hence, why I always laugh hard whenever I see threads about Nigerian airforce bombarding Boko-Haram's strongholds - still don't know what the hell they're bombarding with light fighter jets which ought to be trainer jets, to be honest. You lot are just lucky that Boko Haram in'ts that sophisticated because if they were, they would have shot down all the 10-15 alpha jets in your inventory, with ordinary manpads.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 06, 2013
Gbawe:
Thank you. The question to ask is that will the availability of one of two planes, rather than 10 as is the case currently, means the President's ability to travel effectively will somehow be compromised? No !! Not at all !!! There is no difference between 1 and 10 plane if we are talking of the travel of the President and a few essential aides while all others fly commercially. The problem is that Nigerian Presidents will not give up the excesses o travelling with as many hangers on as possible while even sending a 'spare plane', as if Nigeria is an air taxi service, to pick up a President who had sold the sole one at her disposal for her people (see below).

Those, and nothing to do with the real needs of the President, are the sort of vaingloriously callous excesses that necessitate a ten plan fleet literally bleeding Nigeria dry. Now imagine such waste everywhere else and you gleen the sad reality of Nigeria and why she needs an immaterialistic and personally austere reformer heading the centre. The reality we see today is underpinned by the 'throwback' greed and inconsideration of Nigerian Presidents, one after the other, that sees them unwilling to compromise minimally and usher in a progressive order the leaders of the other nations have declared as a 'new' and pro-people reality going forward.

If malawi becomes a great nation tomorrow, with her average citizens far better off than their Nigerian peers, would you be surprised given the choice their current leader took and that our own president abides with?

http://www.punchng.com/editorial/nigerian-jet-for-malawian-president/

That's a great leader. I still don't know why Nigerians celebrate wasteful spending, to be honest.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 06, 2013
CFCfan: I agree that maintaining 10 airplanes is a little ostentatious. To cut costs, the Predidency could sell about 9 of them; and purchase 2 B787 dreamliners. The BBJ should still be kept in addition to the helicopters.

Nice Idea. 2 dreamliners even though it might cost almost the worth of all the planes in the fleet will not evoke negativity currently experienced. But I advise we equip our presidential fleet with missiles detector and defense systems.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 06, 2013
shymexx:

That's a great leader. I still don't know why Nigerians celebrate wasteful spending, to be honest.
No one is celebrating wasteful spending here. The thread is expository and a chronicle of events surrounding the PAF and we are sounding convictions based on what we "think" are excessive.

Let's not forget that PAF is under national security so we can not make decisions here. National Security knows what's best for Nigeria's peculiar security situation. Lets assume that we have just 2 planes and someone is after our beloved president. its easy to place c4 on both planes knowing that president must fly with either. You see what I mean? .

The question is, can we have 10 planes in PaF and still finance other project? if the answer is yes, then whats the uproar ?

This President met a decaying country and policies has to be re-engineered to galvanize he chAnges we desire. 2 IPPs has been commissioned 8 more to go within some months in addition to myriads of achievement within just few years. So give this Government a chance.

So many distractions here and there. Feom Boko Haram to Northern Gang up. From APC cantankerous politics to PDP imbroglio.

From Personal insults on Facebook to nairaland's personal attacks?

What do we fuccckking want as a people ?
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by naptu2: 3:41pm On Oct 06, 2013
Threads like these are part of the reasons why CFCfan deserves to be a mod in the politics section. Good job bro.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by naptu2: 3:45pm On Oct 06, 2013
In addition, there was a time when the National Assembly refused to approve President Obasanjo's request for a new presidential jet. In protest, President Obasanjo flew on British Airways planes.

The call sign of the plane that carries the president is Nigeria 001.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by manny4life(m): 3:47pm On Oct 06, 2013
naptu2: Threads like these are part of the reasons why CFCfan deserves to be a mod in the politics section. Good job bro.

I like CFC, level headed dude..but he's too good for this dirty section, I wouldn't want his image tainted and people accusing him left, right and center, see how Afam turned out. NL politics is way too dirty which has caused further division amongst us, so in his best interest, I will support him if he decides but for me, NO, for his own best interest.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Gbawe: 3:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
Billyonaire: @Gbawe

Always summarize your points and present facts relevant to the thread. Some of us are on phone and old fashion. so we do not have the luxury of time to separate chaff from rice. I havent read your post. its labourous to go through the mountains of unrelated jargons.

I do not write for you and, ultimately, you have the option of ignoring what I write same as I do for you and others most time. If you do not have the intelligence to understand the complexity with which others write then stay within your limit rather than slyly insult others to then cry childishly if you get ungracious responses in return. Guy, you know what I am talking about. Behave yourself like a man, face the topic and stop your childish antics. You have been warned.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by hercules07: 3:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
Where I live, the Prime Minister flies commercial for international travels and the GDP of the country is almost 2 trillion dollars, we have someone glorifying sheer waste of scarce money in a very poor country.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Gbawe: 3:50pm On Oct 06, 2013
shymexx:

There is no judicious justification for the wasteful spending either. This is the saddest aspect of things.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Rossikk(m): 3:55pm On Oct 06, 2013
Billyonaire:

Shymexx, I love you like a friend, but I am here to tell you the truth. People can only see what they want to see, if you chose not to see the good but the bad, you will always see the errors.

Permit me to also add that people always see their realities in other people, events and places. What I mean is, a poor man sees poverty even when there is glaring wealth all over the place. Nigeria has progressed and we are witnessing monumental changes, cos we chose to see it.

I believe you see so much evil and bad things about anything Nigeria because it is your reality. Some of us see challenges as opportunities for problem solving which means potential for cash. Rubbish Nigeria for all you can, you CAN NOT alter your Nigerian DNA. You are part of the mess for ever except you chose to work to improve instead of blaming the world for woes.

Shymmex, is it that bad over there, why not come here and join me in business lets work for change instead of attacks and image smearing of your country.

Forget that guy. Maybe they did something to him in his village.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by An0nimus: 4:00pm On Oct 06, 2013
Wow. Very revealing thread.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Rossikk(m): 4:00pm On Oct 06, 2013
Billyonaire: No one is celebrating wasteful spending here. The thread is expository and a chronicle of events surrounding the PAF and we are sounding convictions based on what we "think" are excessive.

Let's not forget that PAF is under national security so we can not make decisions here. National Security knows what's best for Nigeria's peculiar security situation. Lets assume that we have just 2 planes and someone is after our beloved president. its easy to place c4 on both planes knowing that president must fly with either. You see what I mean? .

The question is, can we have 10 planes in PaF and still finance other project? if the answer is yes, then whats the uproar ?

This President met a decaying country and policies has to be re-engineered to galvanize he chAnges we desire. 2 IPPs has been commissioned 8 more to go within some months in addition to myriads of achievement within just few years. So give this Government a chance.

So many distractions here and there. Feom Boko Haram to Northern Gang up. From APC cantankerous politics to PDP imbroglio.

WHY ARE YOU ANSWERING THAT GOAT? Let him come and be president of Nigeria and let us see him agree to use only one plane or two planes.

So when anyone wants to deal with him, all they need is to sabotage one plane and he's toast.

Some people seem to think Nigeria is as low as they have placed it in their dull heads. Nigeria is Africa's most populous nation, top oil and gas producer, 2nd largest economy on the continent, and the 34th largest economy in the world out of over 200 countries. A country named among the 'Next 11' global economic superpowers. OUR PRESIDENT who represents our national executive power must be SAFE and if you can't handle that, GO JUMP IN THE FCKING LAGOS LAGOON.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 06, 2013
Rossikk:

Forget that guy. Maybe they did something to him in his village.

And here comes the crumb-munching peasant.

How old are you? I believe you should be late 30's or early 40's, yet you still thrive in fraudulent and malevolent activities hiding behind the manta of pseudo pan-Africanism and Afro-centrism. Not surprised since that's what Nigerians are notorious for and a fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. You're a fake, a phony and a fraud - and sometimes, I feel like byt.ch-slapping the the shyte out of your putrid mouth. You're an embodiment of why Afro-centrism is now a joke. Fam, just give up and come out of closet to proclaim, who you really are - a political jobber!
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 06, 2013
Gbawe:

I do not write for you and, ultimately, you have the option of ignoring what I write same as I do for you and others most time. If you do not have the intelligence to understand the complexity with which others write then stay within your limit rather than slyly insult others to then cry childishly if you get ungracious responses in return. Guy, you know what I am talking about. Behave yourself like a man, face the topic and stop your childish antics. You have been warned.
You can castigate every successive governments as you want. From ObJ to Yaradua now GeJ.

You can chose to see and magnify the errors as much as you can. You can champion the cause of pessimism as hard as you can and convince the young folks that everything is wrong about our country and people.

But for me, I chose to criticise constructively. I chose to respect constituted authorities voted in by majority of our people. The voice of the majority is a voice of Gods.

I chose to be optimistic cos in this country and in this lifetime I will pick up the Presidential Ticket and seek for your vote and that of others and if I win I will remain a patriot of this great country. Nature made no mistake creating us where we are. we will either learn from the laws of powers or forever fight ourselves with martian prowess.

Gbawe, do not mislead our younger nairalanders. Teach them optimism and patriotism.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 06, 2013
Billyonaire: No one is celebrating wasteful spending here. The thread is expository and a chronicle of events surrounding the PAF and we are sounding convictions based on what we "think" are excessive.

However, if the PAF is under national security - why's there excessive spending in just the facet that involves the president, and not the other facets? Those aircrafts on this thread are top-of-the range and modern, yet the airforce flies obsolete fighter jets.

And what's the point of having 10? Can you cite any other president in the world with 10 presidential jets?

As for distractions - that's a norm with his office. I doubt he faces the amount of scrutiny an Obama or David Cameron faces everyday. They might not be the best thing since slice bread, however, they're decent performers. You lot need to stop making excuses for incompetence and like someone said earlier: this is indefensible.
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Rossikk(m): 4:19pm On Oct 06, 2013
shymexx:

And here come the crumb-munching peasant.

How old are you? I believe you should be late 30's or early 40's, yet you still thrive in fraudulent and malevolent activities hiding behind the manta of pseudo pan-Africanism and Afro-centrism. Not surprised since that's what Nigerians are notorious for and a fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. You're a fake, a phony and a fraud - and sometimes, I feel like byt.ch-slapping the the shyte out of your putrid mouth. You're an embodiment of why Afro-centrism is now a joke. Fam, just give up and come out of closet to proclaim, who you really are - a political jobber!

Wake me up when you're made president of NIGERIA and you agree to fly in just one or two presidential aircraft.

For now, keep blowing your London grammar. wink
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 06, 2013
Rossikk:
Wake me up when you're made president of NIGERIA and you agree to fly in just one or two presidential aircraft.

For now, keep blowing your London grammar. wink

Sod off, Rose-sick the sick transgender phaggit! undecided
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by manny4life(m): 4:23pm On Oct 06, 2013
shymexx:

However, if the PAF is under national security - why's there excessive spending in just the facet that involves the president, and not the other facets? Those aircrafts on this thread are top-of-the range and modern, yet the airforce flies obsolete fighter jets.

And what's the point of having 10? Can you cite any other president in the world with 10 presidential jets?

As for distractions - that's a norm with his office. I doubt he faces the amount of scrutiny an Obama or David Cameron faces everyday. They might not be the best thing since slice bread, however, they're decent performers. You lot need to stop making excuses for incompetence and like someone said earlier: this is indefensible.

I thought they said that the PAF is not for the president alone, it flies other national dignitaries, the the CJN, Senate President, etc?
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Rossikk(m): 4:37pm On Oct 06, 2013
shymexx:

Sod off, Rose-sick the sick transgender phaggit! undecided

Tell us how many planes YOU will agree to use as president of NIGERIA, Shymmex!!

Answer DIRECTLY PLS
Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Abiyamo: 4:41pm On Oct 06, 2013
WHOEVER PLAGIARIZED THIS PIECE SHOULD AT LEAST HAVE THE COURTESY OF CREDITING THE ORIGINAL SOURCE>>>

http://www..com/the-untold-story-of-the-nigerian-presidential-air-fleet/

I WENT THROUGH HELL GETTING THOSE PICTURES ONE BY ONE! At any rate, I hope you enjoy it! I posted it earlier on this site but didn't make it to the FP. https://www.nairaland.com/1397886/untold-story-nigerian-presidential-air

Thanks. .

CFCfan: Although it is quite common to hear that Nigeria does not lead the world in anything, I want to say that is not correct (in President Jonathan’s voice…lol!). A West African behemoth bursting at the seams with over 170 million souls, Nigeria is the world’s largest grower (not exporter) of cassava even if we have not been able to make any sensible use of it. Cassava bread? Y’all need to dial Aso Rock for that. Manioc aside, Nigeria leads the entire continent in one rather exclusive and luxurious niche: it has the largest presidential air fleet of any head of state anywhere in Africa and it is one of the largest on earth. Oh, and our legislators are also the highest paid in the world, even if they are mainly a complete set of benchwarmers with no reasonable contribution to national development.

If they are not putting their smelly feet on the tables of the Hallowed Chambers, they are in a billionaire’s house stuffing thousands of dollars in their caps. Back to business. Why were three pilots of the Nigerian Presidential Air Fleet killed? What happened when Abacha’s plane nearly crashed in Ibadan?

In the late 1970s, the Presidential Fleet was commandeered by pilots from the Nigeria Airways and these included Captain Dele Ore and later the soft-spoken Captain Paul Mamman Thalal of the Nigerian Air Force (from the north). Captain Thahal, who was the Commander of the Presidential Air Fleet (he was also of the Boeing 747 fleet with Captains B. Allwell-Brown (Director of Flight Operations, he was from the South-South and was highly-detribalized), JB Ibrahim and HI Ogede) was the Personal Pilot and Captain of General Yakubu Gowon, who was the head of state. Thahal (a highly detribalized Nigerian too) commandeered the PAF with Captain Nnaji later retired as the Managing Director of the Nigeria Airways in 1979 (Thahal and Allwell-Brown brought some of the best quality leadership to the defunct Nigeria Airways.
As at that time, the Nigeria Airways was so good that its aviation safety records were some of the very best in Africa and its pilots were used by the Nigerian Air Force during the Nigerian Civil War through routes that were considered to be very dangerous or too risky.

Under the government of the former President Shehu Usman Aliyu Shagari, the Federal Government decided to purchase a new presidential aircraft as his predecessors were flying on commercial airlines and the Shagari government felt it was not dignifying enough (as if Nigeria’s poverty level is dignifying). So, the decision was made to beef up the PAF. But the most interesting part of the gist is that it was Shagari that ordered the plane (a Gulfstream which was to be the flagship of the Presidential Air Fleet) but he never used it, he never even got to receive it. The plane arrived in April 1984 and those in power then were the no-nonsense duo of Buhari and Idiagbon. When the aircraft (named FGN VICTOR) arrived that morning at the Airlift Command of the Nigerian Airforce at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, there was a torrent of criticism from the media as to why the government would maintain such a large presidential fleet while the FG-owned Nigeria Airways was in the throes of death and could not even get passengers.

-At a time between the Shagari and Obasanjo governments, the Presidential Air Fleet was made up of two Super Falcons, a customized Boeing 747 (then called the Victor 1) specially adapted for long-distance hauls, a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar (a widebodied airliner suitable for medium to long-range) and four Super Puma helicopters.

-Later, the Nigerian Presidential Air Fleet was commandeered by civilian pilots from the Nigeria Airways (of blessed memory) in collaboration with military personnel. This line of thinking was adopted then because of fear of overthrowing the Head of State in the air or using the airborne wing of the military to carry out a coup like the 1985 aborted coup under General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida when coup plotters were alleged to have planned to make use of NAF bases to launch a surgical strike or hijack the presidential aircraft and oust IBB. (Here is a bit on the aborted coup: in December 1985, the IBB government raised an alarm that it had discovered a plot to overthrow Babangida, and people implicated included the late General Mamman Jiya Vatsa, a soldier-poet, national chairman of the Association of Nigerian Authors and IBB’s childhood friend. There was something very unique with this particular plot: for the first time, air force officers, rather than those of the army, were to carry out the attack. The plotters were accused of planning to destroy the Dodan Barracks, then the seat of power and other strategic locations in Lagos from the air using NAF bombers. In fact, some of those convicted of plotting the coup like Martin Luther and Asen Ahura (both Squadron Leaders in the Nigerian Air Force) and Wing Commander Ben Ekele were actually pilots of the Presidential Air Fleet responsible for transporting IBB himself and other high-ranking military officers of the Armed Forces Revolutionary Council, AFRC. They were all executed.

-Luther had been in charge of the PAF, in fact, he had flown three Nigerian heads of state in the past few years and had just returned from a military training abroad. As for Ekele, he was the commander of the Strike Group at the NAF Base in Makurdi and was the leader of the Mikoyan MiG-29 fighters’ squadron and for two consecutive years, he was voted one of the very best pilots in the NAF. IBB did not stop there, he revenged with a devastating blow to the NAF by crippling it with lack of funds, and the entire NAF itself would have been scrapped or turn to an airborne wing of the Nigerian Army but for the fact that the Chief of Air Staff, CAS, the late Air Marshal Ibrahim Mahmud Alfa, was IBB’s personal friend. The NAF was so thoroughly battered that by August 1993, the Jaguars and other fighters had been sold off and all that was left was merely about five jets, almost dead and barely serviceable. This writer believes that the NAF is yet to recover from such a horrendous blow)

Culled from http://unilaglss./2013/08/16/1994/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Presidential Air Fleet In Abuja by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 06, 2013

You still on NL?

Miss your articles here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly / Nuhu Gidado At An Event With His Twin Girls / Nigerian Navy Launches New Warship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.