Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools (10370 Views)

Ifa Worshippers Offer To Fight Boko Haram / Reception Given To Aregbesola From His Hometown Residents. / Buhari Busted! Waec/cambridge Did Not Offer Hausa As Subject In 1961 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 07, 2013
Some people have lost root completely with their origin......even their language is dying.

If we can study borrowed religions from the Middle East, why can we do the same with our own?
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Gbawe: 7:30am On Oct 07, 2013
Insincere9gerian, you are ignorance personified on so many levels. You really should refrain from speaking on issues you know nothing about.

5 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Demdem(m): 7:34am On Oct 07, 2013
Excellent development IMO

1 Like

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by texazzpete(m): 7:51am On Oct 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Osun State governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, said last week that his administration plans to introduce the study of Ifa as one of the subjects in the state’s secondary school. The schools’ computer tablet already have application for Ifa studies.

Ifa is a combination of traditional belief and worship of the gods that remain obvious in the names of the yoruba race. There are other gods that may need studying, Ifa is just one of many traditional ways in yoruba land.

The reason for this choice is not clear but the Governor has spoken, Nigerians really don't care as they have more socio-economic headaches to worry about, but parents may want to take their kids away from public schools on the account of being thought the Ifa ways.

There is a need to increase and sustain the teaching of our culture and values in schools, however, the introduction of the study of Ifa may not be apt for attaining this objective.

Maybe the worshipers of Ogun, Obatala, Sango worshipers etc also clamour for the introduction of their own studies? Should traditional studies be introduced in schools? Please share your thoughts on this as a student!

http://www.earlyface.com/how-about-your-school/governor-aregbesola-introduces-ifa-as-a-subject-in-osun-state-schools/

For someone who always claims to 'respect the rule of law' and 'follow the constitution', you show a great level of ignorance and intolerance. There are THREE religions in Nigeria.

1. Islam
2. Christianity
3. African traditional Religions

Complaining about this is silly. I say this as a Christian. What right do you have to complain about Boko Haram being intolerant if you then turn around to incite the same intolerance to other faiths?

I care nothing if Ifa is taught in schools. Islam is taught in many many schools and it is NEVER a compulsory subject, at least not in the South.

9 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by dridowu: 8:00am On Oct 07, 2013
eGuerrilla:

^^^
I see you have decided to borrow the same tools of analysis employed by Prophet Chris Okafor, who thinks FESTAC 77 is responsible for Nigeria’s woes

The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed - Steve Biko
God bless u 1 million times for ds 1dafu steve biko quote
@topic, laughing in swahili jkjkjkjhkkhkhjkj, i will support it 100%, its even far better than than dos that will use name of God to dcve nigerians. If possible let our elected officials start using it as an oath then u will see its effect that only ORIGINAL REAL Nigerian will seek for elective post because if u mess up, u c d consequence immediately.

1 Like

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Ngwakwe: 8:14am On Oct 07, 2013
I was watching Channel TV documentary on Osun State educational revolution. One of the parents complained that the introduction of Ifa Studies will proliferate the number of Babalawos within the next two years.

Ifa Priests wanted for immediate employment in Osun State.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Leward(m): 8:23am On Oct 07, 2013
tomakint:
Expose me? In a dispensation where Mathematics, English Language, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Further Mathematics are no longer well taught to students, hence, the poor outcome of JAMB, WAEC, NECO results of our students year in year out and you are here 'dancing azonto' on Ifa education, are you an Ifa Priest too? Clown!
I think i like this comment, besides i detest all this traditional spiritual superstitious nonsense.

And for those who'd attack me, i'm not ibo and i'm not in support of jona
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Acidosis(m): 8:37am On Oct 07, 2013
grin grin grin

make dem kuku ma scrap this thing called educason... grin grin

Its not meant for us..

Let everyone go back to his father's shrine and worship ancient idols with slate and cowry..

That way, the whites won't feel insulted..
grin
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 07, 2013
Ngwakwe: I was watching Channel TV documentary on Osun State educational revolution. One of the parents complained that the introduction of Ifa Studies will proliferate the number of Babalawos within the next two years.

Exactly. The study of Ifa means more Babalawos in future for Osun state. The question is, should we be encouraging the proliferation of more scientists/skilled Nigerians or more Babalawos at this point in time?

1 Like

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by tomakint: 8:48am On Oct 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Exactly. The study of Ifa means more Babalawos in future for Osun state. The question is, should we be encouraging the proliferation of more scientists/skilled Nigerians or more Babalawos at this point in time?
You got my drift perfectly well!
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by abes(m): 8:54am On Oct 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
What is wrong with having more babalawos in the future? visiting a babalawo is not by force just like you are not forced to visit a pastor. Learn to be tolerant of other people's religion and culture. You have the mindset of an average boko haram member, in the case 'culture haram'.

9 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Osun State governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, said last week that his administration plans to introduce the study of Ifa as one of the subjects in the state’s secondary school. The schools’ computer tablet already have application for Ifa studies.

Ifa is a combination of traditional belief and worship of the gods that remain obvious in the names of the yoruba race. There are other gods that may need studying, Ifa is just one of many traditional ways in yoruba land.

The reason for this choice is not clear but the Governor has spoken, Nigerians really don't care as they have more socio-economic headaches to worry about, but parents may want to take their kids away from public schools on the account of being thought the Ifa ways.

There is a need to increase and sustain the teaching of our culture and values in schools, however, the introduction of the study of Ifa may not be apt for attaining this objective.

Maybe the worshipers of Ogun, Obatala, Sango worshipers etc also clamour for the introduction of their own studies? Should traditional studies be introduced in schools? Please share your thoughts on this as a student!

http://www.earlyface.com/how-about-your-school/governor-aregbesola-introduces-ifa-as-a-subject-in-osun-state-schools/

great news!

1 Like

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 07, 2013
Where is Pagan9ja?
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Gbawe: 9:25am On Oct 07, 2013
abes:
What is wrong with having more babalawos in the future? visiting a babalawo is not by force just like you are not forced to visit a pastor. Learn to be tolerant of other people's religion and culture. You have the mindset of an average boko haram member, in the case 'culture haram'.

This is one of the causes of the major problems of Nigeria currently. I.e crass intolerance for others and what they have chosen as a path which suits them. What, for example, concerns an Enugu indigene with what Osun has chosen to introduce into its School curriculum as a non-compulsory subject?

Like someone mentioned earlier, do we not already have Islam and Christianity (both 'imported' religions) as subjects studied in Nigerian Schools? Why has Insincere9gerian not protested that Islam and Christianity deliver more Imams and Pastors at the expense of Engineers and scientists? Is he not blatantly guilty of discrimination and intolerance here?

Why discriminate against a subject with religious and ethnographic significance/origin in Nigeria itself while at ease with others having origins outside Nigeria? What manner of ignorance, self-loathing and display of inferiority complex is this? Do some people understand how fascinated scholars in the West are with Nigerian culture and ancestry to include their beffudlement over our own disinterest and lack of pride in the rich history we host? Step forward Insincer9gerian. The poster child of ignorance, intolerance, prejudice, self-loathing and lack of exposure.

10 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 07, 2013
As long as the module is optional, it's fine by me.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by texazzpete(m): 10:08am On Oct 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

Well, it's not like GEJ's crass underfunding of our universities is 'encouraging the proliferation of more scientists/skilled Nigerians'.
Please refrain from making any contributions on any topic that has to do with education as long as your paymaster continues to work assiduously to destroy the tertiary education system in Nigeria.

"The ONLY problem with our Universities is lack of good hostel accommodation" - President Goodluck Jonathan, NTA Presidential debate, 2011.

2 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Pukkah: 10:46am On Oct 07, 2013
Great move.

Ifa is a repository of knowledge.

I wish I had the time to learn more about it.

1 Like

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by bankyblue(m): 10:55am On Oct 07, 2013
not a bad idea grin
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Ngwakwe: 10:56am On Oct 07, 2013
Your prayers have been answered. Very soon the Online Classes will commence in earnest at Osundefender.com

Pukkah: Great move.

Ifa is a repository of knowledge.

I wish I had the time to learn more about it.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by malc619(m): 11:12am On Oct 07, 2013
What's the difference between a Pastor, an Imam and an Ifa priest??

Why are Christians so intolerant??

Are Christians more morally upright that those who adhere to African Traditional Religion??
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 07, 2013
malc619: What's the difference between a Pastor, an Imam and an Ifa priest??

Are Christians more morally upright that those who adhere to African Traditional Religion??

Not all Christians......the intolerant ones are mostly from the Eastward of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Demdem(m): 11:40am On Oct 07, 2013
Ngwakwe: I was watching Channel TV documentary on Osun State educational revolution. One of the parents complained that the introduction of Ifa Studies will proliferate the number of Babalawos within the next two years.

Is CRK and Islamic studies currently being studied in schools responsible for the proliferation of pastors or imams either fake or real? If it isn't, why should ifa studies lead to such?
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Demdem(m): 11:44am On Oct 07, 2013
texazzpete:

"The ONLY problem with our Universities is lack of good hostel accommodation" - President Goodluck Jonathan, NTA Presidential debate, 2011.

WTF shocked
Did Jonathan really said that shocked
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 07, 2013
Demdem:

Is CRK and Islamic studies currently being studied in schools responsible for the proliferation of pastors or imams either fake or real? If it isn't, why should ifa studies lead to such?

Their intolerance of other religious-faith is causing them to reason awkwardly ....

The poverty of their minds is worse than members of Boko-Haram since those ones don't hide their deep hatred of other faith.

1 Like

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by jmaine: 12:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
malc619: What's the difference between a Pastor, an Imam and an Ifa priest??

Look at this muslim brother scolding others about religious intolerance.

@ Thread . . . .There is no real issues with this news . . .
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by malc619(m): 12:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
jmaine:

Look at this muslim brother scolding others about religious intolerance.

@ Thread . . . .There is no real issues with this news . . .

I'm a Christian.....

A "Sunday-Sunday" Christian....

grin grin grin
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Ngwakwe: 12:41pm On Oct 07, 2013
You be Christian jaree.

If Christians are marked for summary execution in your hood, definitely, you're a gooner.

malc619:

I'm a Christian.....

A "Sunday-Sunday" Christian....

grin grin grin
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by malc619(m): 12:53pm On Oct 07, 2013
Ngwakwe: You be Christian jaree.

If Christians are marked for summary execution in your hood, definitely, you're a gooner.

Yes I'm a Christian.... For now..

But like I said earlier my Christianity is just a mere rote. Religion generally has done more harm to humanity than good...

1 Like

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Pukkah: 1:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
Ngwakwe: Your prayers have been answered. Very soon the Online Classes will commence in earnest at Osundefender.com

You think we are joking or clowning here?

This is a serious topic for serious-minded people; not clowns, jesters or paid agents.

6 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Katsumoto: 1:28pm On Oct 07, 2013
tomakint:
Expose me? In a dispensation where Mathematics, English Language, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Further Mathematics are no longer well taught to students, hence, the poor outcome of JAMB, WAEC, NECO results of our students year in year out and you are here 'dancing azonto' on Ifa education, are you an Ifa Priest too? Clown!

That Mathematics, English Language, Biology, etc are not being taught well doesn't mean the students of Osun state or any other state in the SW shouldn't learn about the Ifa Corpus. If Europeans, Americans, Latinos are learning it without setting a foot in Nigeria, why shouldn't students who are at the heart of its history and education? As long as it is not made a compulsory subject, I believe that it is imperative for those who are willing to learn about it.

I wish I were an Ifa priest, does that answer your stupid question about whether I am an Ifa priest? But then again, your understanding of the culture of the Yoruba is alien to you. So it is ok for you to poke fun at what is above your head.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Katsumoto: 1:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

Shut up Dundee United. Be quiet about subjects you know nothing about. What is the similarity between English Language and Mathematics? Does the study of English Language stop you from studying Mathematics? The study of Ifa will make the students more enlightened and spiritual, which is at one with the concept of being an 'Omoluabi'. This very policy will achieve more in reversing the moral decadence which is killing Nigeria today.

4 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by okunboy: 2:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
So, more Babalawos will be produced in Osun! 1daful!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

These States Have The Highest Number Of Ritualists / "How Can This Pretty Lady Marry Him?" — People React To Pictures Of Adama Indimi / Osinbajo Condoles With Reverend Wilson Badejo, Fawehinmi's Families

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.