Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,896 members, 7,810,444 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey - Fashion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey (314422 Views)

Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural / My Hair Journey :from Relaxed To Natural ( With Pics) / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 13, 2013
Egba girl:

ahhahahha I will. whatever you say boss wink

Yes, ma'am. kiss The beautiful one. wink
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Egbagirl(f): 9:51pm On Nov 13, 2013
shymexx:

Yes, ma'am. kiss The beautiful one. wink

smiley smiley kiss

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by naijatoday: 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2013
Please, what can someone with dandruff use?

Where can I get AVC here in Lagos.

Thanks.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by biafranqueen: 11:59pm On Nov 13, 2013
Sike: What bout Guys that wanna grow long hair? Applicable??
yes it is I grew my honeys hair past his shoulders when we were first marriedsmiley
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by critique101(f): 12:01am On Nov 14, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

My hair is in a protective style at the moment but here are recent pictures of my hair prior to the blowout.

How did you make your hair to coil like that? How long did it take. Can dreadlocks be loosened?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 12:14am On Nov 14, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

My current products are

Shampoo : Keracare Cleansing Cream. It contains shikakai,neem seed oil,amla oil and argan oil. It's really gentle and doesn't strip your scalp or hair. I got this from Twentysix85.com

You can substitute with Creme of Nature sulfate free shampoo or Organics root stimulator creamy aloe shampoo..use diluted and on scalp only.

Conditioner: VO5 Strawberry and Cream conditioner or Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship or ORS Replenishing conditioner (love the fragrance)

Leave In Conditioner: Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream

Oil : Coconut oil, castor oil and palm kernel oil

Seal and styler: NappyGirl Pudding

Hair regimen

I'm currently following the Indian method of haircare to maintain the length of my hair and it's working really well.

Everyday, I apply a light coating of coconut oil to my hair after misting it with water (since I'm natural). If you're relaxed, apply to dry hair.

Then every three days I give my scalp amd edges a light massage with castor oil.

The night before wash day, I'll coat my hair with coconut and palmkernel oil completely saturating it. Then cover with a showercap and a scarf for bed.

On wash day, I'll shampoo with Keracare massaging my scalp then rinse.
Then I'll pour a 1:3 solution of ACV to my hair, wait for 5 mins then apply conditioner and rinse with cold water.

Blot dry with a microfibre towel or T shirt (prevents breakage).

Then I apply coconut oil, then Cantu , then NappyGirl Pudding in that order. If you're relaxed coconut oil to damp hair is fine.

That's it.

Don't do any tight style and always wrap your hair before bed to protect it at night.

If you feel your ends are dry, apply Cantu lightly and seal with coconut oil.

babe u are too xpensive to cater for...

Am BACKIN-OFF

nyce1 though
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by darkashes(m): 12:14am On Nov 14, 2013
This isnt ur natural hair joor. I so doubt this, which one nah. Prove to me this is natural, my house, will be free from 9pm. Thanks
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by telexfree1: 12:38am On Nov 14, 2013
Cool
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by JOYCEOUS(f): 2:08am On Nov 14, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

Lol. Perhaps we just like something different.

I am very sure the products you use are expensive, what about the local or home-made products?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by igbo2011(m): 5:13am On Nov 14, 2013
I hate weave,wigs and perms!

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by unmask: 6:30am On Nov 14, 2013
The best hair treatment is still with a clipper.....I wonder how so many girls miss this
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by phaya(f): 6:48am On Nov 14, 2013
Please does anyone know any 'natural-hair' salon in Warri or Benin??
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by bassette(m): 6:49am On Nov 14, 2013
I have always loved natural hair on nigerian women..OP thanks for creating this thread.So natural..So beautiful!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 14, 2013
Mr Whistler thinks u r doing an amazing job! Way to go girl!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Anyanwu68(m): 7:56am On Nov 14, 2013
Please am A̷̷̴̐͠ guy and I carry hair(as in I don't cut my hair) but I don't like the look of my hair,please what are the affordable Nigerian products that can help me darken my hair nd make it pleasant to the eyes please I really need help from my fellow nairalanders(I don't want to dye the hair)
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Mickyboiz: 8:37am On Nov 14, 2013
Only Vaseline
NappilyNigerian:

What are you currently using?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Anyanwu68(m): 8:43am On Nov 14, 2013
Am corrently using So-fine and Nature vital as hair cream and shampoo
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by PetDancer(f): 8:53am On Nov 14, 2013
Pls i want to know do u retouch ur hair when there is undergrowth in it?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by GentleMimi: 9:19am On Nov 14, 2013
@ NappilyNigerian,kuddos to u.I'm so proud of u.I hvn't read informative threads on NL for a long time.I really appreciate u.I'll def be trying out ur regime .
My major prob is the breakage to my front hair.I really dn't know what to do abt it.I need help ASAP!
My hair is naturally long but weak.I hope ur regime will give my hair more strength.Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Tampico(f): 9:47am On Nov 14, 2013
If you want grow your Nigerian natural hair, visit the Krasiva Twins on No.14 Irewole, off Opebi Link Road, Ikeja! Those girls are the ish, nuff said, WORD!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by kolamilan(m): 11:17am On Nov 14, 2013
guys wetin na dey find for this thread make una leave market for market women oo !
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by kolamilan(m): 11:19am On Nov 14, 2013
Tampico: If you want grow your Nigerian natural hair, visit the Krasiva Twins on No.14 Irewole, off Opebi Link Road, Ikeja! Those girls are the ish, nuff said, WORD!
along Adebola house right ?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by swtme(f): 12:34pm On Nov 14, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

As long as you don't stress your hair any further and your roots aren't damaged, your hair will definitely recover.

To go natural, you simply have to stop relaxing your hair.
You need to avoid harsh drying products because they tend to make afro textured hair strong and difficult to manage.

All you need are products that will draw moisture to your hair to keep it soft, supple and growing stronger. I have listed products I use earlier in the thread.
You can also check my blog for recommended products which are good for afrotextured hair (good for relaxed hair too).

For a personalized hair kit, send a mail to nappilynigeriangirl@gmail.com

Tnx sis wink
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 14, 2013
Pls NN, i want 2 grow my hair longer though it's already past my shoulder. I use jst beva relaxer, petals conditioner nd soulmate hair cream. Dnt knw d name of d shampoo. Cn u tell me what 2 use nd wat nt 2 use. Plus i'm braiding my hair tday,shld i apply anytn while my hair is braided.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by obillyj(f): 1:47pm On Nov 14, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

My current products are

Shampoo : Keracare Cleansing Cream. It contains shikakai,neem seed oil,amla oil and argan oil. It's really gentle and doesn't strip your scalp or hair. I got this from Twentysix85.com

You can substitute with Creme of Nature sulfate free shampoo or Organics root stimulator creamy aloe shampoo..use diluted and on scalp only.

Conditioner: VO5 Strawberry and Cream conditioner or Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship or ORS Replenishing conditioner (love the fragrance)

Leave In Conditioner: Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream

Oil : Coconut oil, castor oil and palm kernel oil

Seal and styler: NappyGirl Pudding

Hair regimen

I'm currently following the Indian method of haircare to maintain the length of my hair and it's working really well.

Everyday, I apply a light coating of coconut oil to my hair after misting it with water (since I'm natural). If you're relaxed, apply to dry hair.

Then every three days I give my scalp amd edges a light massage with castor oil.

The night before wash day, I'll coat my hair with coconut and palmkernel oil completely saturating it. Then cover with a showercap and a scarf for bed.

On wash day, I'll shampoo with Keracare massaging my scalp then rinse.
Then I'll pour a 1:3 solution of ACV to my hair, wait for 5 mins then apply conditioner and rinse with cold water.

Blot dry with a microfibre towel or T shirt (prevents breakage).

Then I apply coconut oil, then Cantu , then NappyGirl Pudding in that order. If you're relaxed coconut oil to damp hair is fine.

That's it.

Don't do any tight style and always wrap your hair before bed to protect it at night.

If you feel your ends are dry, apply Cantu lightly and seal with coconut oil.

hello dear u do have great hair. i have few questions pls.

You mentioned palm kernel oil, do you mean the regular red cooking oil?
also these products ( NappyGirl Pudding, ACV, Keracare, Cantu shea butter, ORS replenishing conditioner) are they readily available in the market?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by SAGirl: 2:02pm On Nov 14, 2013
I love long hair... but there is no way I can keep up such routine. Such hard work??
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 14, 2013
Fine Sissie, thank u!
I completely forgot I hv an expert by my side.
I will do as u said.

How r u?
Hope u r doing great?
Missed u in fun room o!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Sissie(f): 2:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Fine Sissie, thank u!
I completely forgot I hv an expert by my side.
I will do as u said.

How r u?
Hope u r doing great?
Missed u in fun room o!

Lol, I am fine, thanks. And how are you doing?

Let me go check the fun room.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Duchaello(f): 3:02pm On Nov 14, 2013
Please,could you please tell me how to use the henna leave and is the henna leave the same with the laali leave used as herbs for the yorubas? await your reply.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Gerrard8(m): 4:11pm On Nov 14, 2013
U are correct
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Enedane(f): 5:40pm On Nov 14, 2013
cheris skenzy: Plssss! Can green tea and black tea be used at the same time? 2. Is african black soap better than shampoo,I mean for washing hair.

Yes green tea an black tea can be used together, just mix both in a cup while hot, add a tsp honey, ACV, aloe vera and rosemary oil(optional), allow to cool. Its ready for use
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:08pm On Nov 14, 2013
I noticed a lot of people asking me about the price of the products I listed and how available it is in the Nigerian market so I've written them down.

Keracare Cleansing Cream. N3100 (available online or on request)

ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo N1200 (readily available in the market)

Creme of Nature Sulfate Free shampoo N1600 (available online and I saw it once in CasaBella stores Ikeja shopping mall)

VO5 shampoo N1400 (readily available in the market)

Organics Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner N1200 (readily available in the market)

VO5 conditioner N1400 (readily available in the market)

Cantu Shea Leave In Conditioning Cream N2500 (sizzellestores.com)

Coconut oil (readily available in the market. I find it where you can buy Shea butter) N1000 for 750ml...you can substitute with Palm Kernel Oil.

Castor oil N400 (cold pressed available in any pharmacy) or Jamaican Black Castor Oil N2500 (naturalnigerian.com)

NappyGirl Pudding N1500 for 125 ml, N2800 for 250ml (available on request)

Emily Millionaire Coconut and Herbs N300 (readily available in the market).

All products can be purchased on request should you have any difficulty locating them.

Hope this has been helpful.

I've tried some Nigerian ready made products and because of some ingredients in the products I don't use them.
So far, most just make my hair feel really hard. Instead I go for the unrefined natural products available in Nigeria.

You may try out the following Nigerian products.

Dudu Osun Black Soap....good alternative to sulfate free shampoo

Emily Millionaire Coconut and Herbs....good alternative to Cantu Shea Leave in Conditioning Repair Creme

NaturalNigerian Leave In Conditioner

AfricanNaturalistas products (available on their website and on Jumia)

Nature's Gentle Touch Products

I'll really love to use all made in Nigeria haircare products once they become African hair friendly...so far, they really love using Petrolatum in their products...which is really old school...but the products I listed above contain hair friendly ingredients.

Hope this helped.

Getting them online is the easiest and fastest method to get these products if you don't know the exact shops to look for them

Oh and I still can't access mails sent via nairaland so please can you send them directly to nappilynigeriangirl@gmail.com....thanks.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ankara Styles / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) / stylish kareena kapoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.