Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,109 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids (25324 Views)

Things You Should Never Say To Your Partner During A Fight / Things Parents Use To Scare Their Children! / Funny Things Parents' Do That Makes You Chuckle! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by Eebrahym(m): 11:57am On Oct 08, 2013
Hi,
I was on a small research online when I stumbled over this interesting write up. I think it would ße nice to share.

10 Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids

Words you might not think twice about using can undermine your kids' self-confidence and color the way they view the world.

Things parents say around their children can have a big impact — and not necessarily a positive one. What you consider to be fairly innocent phrases may actually be harmful to your kids' health, both physical and emotional.
Part of parenting and raising healthy kids involves understanding how they take subtle cues from mom and dad — and how they interpret the language that you use. Laurie Zelinger, PhD, a child psychologist and play therapist, and her husband, psychologist Fred Zelinger, PhD, both in practice in Cedarhurst, N.Y., offer 10 types of statements that parents should never make around their kids.

2 Likes

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by Eebrahym(m): 12:05pm On Oct 08, 2013
1. "School is boring."
Parents should resist criticizing their kids' school, including the faculty, in front of children. "The teacher and parent should really be a team in molding a child's education," says Fred. "The child needs to thrive in that environment and trust their teacher. Parental attitudes toward school could influence the child's behavior in the classroom and at school."

2. "Great job — not."
Sarcasm breeds cruelty, and parents shouldn't use it around their children, even when talking to other adults. And sarcasm's effect on kids' health when aimed directly at them can be quite damaging. Kids will be hurt by a stream of put-downs disguised as humor. And if they're too young to understand that you're being sarcastic, they may interpret "wonderful job" to mean just that, and not a mean-spirited jibe at their failure to clean up their room.

3. "What the [bleep]!"
What parent doesn't want to sink through the floor after their toddler drops a four-letter word in front of company? Want to avoid this in your family? Good parenting means using the kind of language you won't mind your children repeating. "Children mirror what they see and hear in the home," says Laurie. "If you do not want your children using this type of language outside the house, then you shouldn't use the language inside the house, even if speaking with other adults."

4. "You're burning up with fever."
Be careful when verbalizing concerns about your kids' health (or anyone's health) in front of them. "Children tend to get very upset when they hear that they are ill or someone around them is ill," says Laurie. "Parents should conduct in-depth discussions among themselves, and then approach the child with an explanation appropriate for their developmental level of understanding.

5. "Shut up!"
Parenting can be tough, but having regular meltdowns, verbally abusing your partner and children, and flashing your temper are not the kind of kids' lessons you want to teach. "Children learn more by watching us than when we lecture them," explains Fred. "So it is important to model our behaviors and set an example of what we want our children to learn."

1 Like

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by Eebrahym(m): 12:13pm On Oct 08, 2013
6. "Dying is like going to sleep."
Certain topics are hard to broach with kids, especially when you're trying to not frighten them. But rather than providing an explanation of death, telling kids that dying is like going to sleep could end up making them afraid to go bed at night. Because children go through different development stages, and what alarms them at one point may not alarm them at another point, talk to your pediatrician for ideas on what is age-appropriate to say when a loved one dies.

7. "I'm so fat."
No matter how you feel about your own body, avoid obsessing about your weight or dieting around kids. Kids often view such concerns as a standard for their own behavior. "The mother saying, 'I'm fat, and I don't like the way I look' might be seen by her child as, 'I better not get fat and I have to look pretty, otherwise mommy isn't going to like me,'" Laurie explains.

8. "That does it /[b]
you're grounded for a month." Teaching kids lessons should not involve threats that you have no intention of carrying out. "Very few parents follow through on ideas like sending a child to military school or grounding them for unbearable lengths of time," says Fred. "These types of empty threats, while possibly frightening, often demonstrate to the child that a parent's word is not necessarily truthful."

9. [b] "We'll see ..."

According to Laurie, that old parenting standby is often seen by children as a "no." If you use the phrase, she says, make certain that you follow up so that the child will trust your words.If you really mean no, don't be afraid to say it calmly. If you need to think about it, it's okay to delay and carefully consider the request, but make sure you do get back to your child.

10. "Don't be afraid."
To parent healthy kids, allaying their fears needs to be more specific than that pat phrase. "It is better to figure out what is frightening them and address that issue," says Laurie. "Merely telling them not to be afraid doesn't help the situation."

Although it's not always possible to filter every word you say, being aware of these particular red flags will help you raise healthy, well-adjusted kids and perhaps even sidestep some of the more challenging issues that many parents face.

1 Like

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by nickz(m): 1:33pm On Oct 08, 2013
cool I hate it when parents beat their children and tell them STOP CRYING

15 Likes

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
Op mind your own business.
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
ok
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by nkemKalu: 1:37pm On Oct 08, 2013
Am I really the first here? .....Hahahahah....Azonto dance. If I am not the first, then I will just pass-by
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by hensben(m): 1:38pm On Oct 08, 2013
Nice write up....the words of parents really play important role in a child's life whether positive or negative.

1 Like

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 08, 2013
ojuju is coming lol

1 Like

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by braine(m): 1:40pm On Oct 08, 2013
Okax
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 08, 2013
Lol. Noted!
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by 4reigningqueen: 1:41pm On Oct 08, 2013
Taken on advisement
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by NnamdiN: 1:51pm On Oct 08, 2013
Oyibo kids or naija kids ni?

7 Likes

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by Kemy11(m): 1:57pm On Oct 08, 2013
All these write ups na for oyibo pikin. Come ijebu u ll see how iyaaaa dey para for 6 mths pikin. Team end time oyaaaaaaaaaaaa

4 Likes

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by poshpimkiey(f): 1:57pm On Oct 08, 2013
NnamdiN: Oyibo kids or naija kids ni?
. halp me ask am o. What of "I will call aunty mary for u" lyk u can't handle ur own pikin. d aunty mary sef nor get work, she go carry her big head dey come discipline pikin wey im mama go still spoil again
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by Eebrahym(m): 1:58pm On Oct 08, 2013
nkem Kalu: Am I really the first here? .....Hahahahah....Azonto dance. If I am not the first, then I will just pass-by

First for ur mind, u r No 6
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by lilcutie8916(m): 1:58pm On Oct 08, 2013
all of these stuff only aply to ajebo kids for kpako like us all these stuff dont mean $hit

1 Like

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by iamdsam: 1:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
Nice one. I like this
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by SecretDreams(m): 2:00pm On Oct 08, 2013
Seun it seems nairaland should be restricted to only Naija peeps abi wetin be all this story these oyinbo people they post here ?

3 Likes

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by Nobody: 2:00pm On Oct 08, 2013
Dis definitely cant apply 2 nigerian parents,my parents hav said worse dan al wat u mentioned!!!even d ajebo kids hear dis stufs!! D only time my parents compliment me is in my education! Anyoda tin na--mumu,odê,u no see ur mates?useless pikin,u no b my blood.. Dis words strengtened mee,I grew up wayy faster [intellectually]dan my age,i interacted wit my elders very well @ an early age.I hav great control over my emotions frm dat experiences..Am nt sayin parents shud b hard on dier kids,but d advantages can b alarmin

10 Likes

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by iamdsam: 2:00pm On Oct 08, 2013
lilcutie8916: all of these stuff only aply to ajebo kids for kpako like us all these stuff dont mean $hit
You're right o
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by misterh(m): 2:00pm On Oct 08, 2013
Op, nice gesture. But we have a different environment from the whites. Which Nigerian parents grounds his child?
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by ESULAALU: 2:01pm On Oct 08, 2013
nickz: cool I hate it when parents beat their children and tell them STOP CRYING

Its like shooting someone and asking why they are bleeding cry

Very annoying and agbayaish attitude.

2 Likes

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by mysticdollar(f): 2:03pm On Oct 08, 2013
Hmmmm
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by Ichliebedich(f): 2:04pm On Oct 08, 2013
undecided
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by bidexolumanish(m): 2:06pm On Oct 08, 2013
cum here the kind abuse wey parent dey abuse pikin 4 naija nw(especially ma yoruba peeps),u sef go fear.
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by IanSholex(m): 2:09pm On Oct 08, 2013
all weytin u list no dey applicable to 9ja pekin o...ordibary words, u neva see wia parent dey beat dia pekin lyk animal abii
Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by mysticgal(f): 2:10pm On Oct 08, 2013
words really matter,everthing you say or do,they take cues from

1 Like

Re: Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 08, 2013
mysticgal: words really matter,everthing you say or do,they take cues from
I concur with you

(1) (2) (Reply)

Woman Abandons Her Child At A Catholic Church In Delta (Photo) / Widow's Sons Arrested For Beating Her Young Boyfriend - VI, Lagos / Jaaruma Addresses Money, Power, Sex, Love, Magic, Jazz, Juju, Asiri, Domination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.