Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,956 members, 7,821,356 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants (168977 Views)

Thread for Petroleum Engineers, Both Fresh Graduates And Experienced / Geologists And Mining Engrs: Let's Talk Here / Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (65) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by labongua: 11:47am On Oct 29, 2013
It's good to have this forum of geoscientists here. OP, you did a good thing. Having gone through 99% of posts, i observe that most of the focus is on the oil/gas industry (seismics, Petrophysics etc) but with little on near surface opportunities (Near surface seismics, geotechnical services, pollution investigation etc). I would suggest that while searching for the bug pay, if you have the opportunity of landing a job or internship with indigenous companies that are into near surface geology/geophysics, grab it. Your experience will start counting from there.

I am a postgrad student of geophysics herein Naija but my 1st degree is in physics. I have coursemates who are into geotechnical services and are doing VERY WELL. Talking of petrel, well, i have 2009 and am willing to give anybody free of charge. It's 4 yrs old but you can still do your learning on it. If you can also download the free version of OpendTect, good for you.

I am based in Lagos.

Are you attending the upcoming NAPE ICE? It could be another opportunity for you to network with industry people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by ideology(m): 12:26pm On Oct 29, 2013
labongua: It's good to have this forum of geoscientists here. OP, you did a good thing. Having gone through 99% of posts, i observe that most of the focus is on the oil/gas industry (seismics, Petrophysics etc) but with little on near surface opportunities (Near surface seismics, geotechnical services, pollution investigation etc). I would suggest that while searching for the bug pay, if you have the opportunity of landing a job or internship with indigenous companies that are into near surface geology/geophysics, grab it. Your experience will start counting from there.

I am a postgrad student of geophysics herein Naija but my 1st degree is in physics. I have coursemates who are into geotechnical services and are doing VERY WELL. Talking of petrel, well, i have 2009 and am willing to give anybody free of charge. It's 4 yrs old but you can still do your learning on it. If you can also download the free version of OpendTect, good for you.

I am based in Lagos.

Are you attending the upcoming NAPE ICE? It could be another opportunity for you to network with industry people

hello nice to have you on broad, really want to attend this years Nape conference, have gotten the invitation already, just to pay the dues and register, but am not still sure of comin, am serving currently so leaving duty post is tuf you know nysc issues. pls help me out with petrel @hopeman4all@yahoo.com. would be very grateful.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by jazinogold(m): 5:27pm On Oct 29, 2013
labongua: It's good to have this forum of geoscientists here. OP, you did a good thing. Having gone through 99% of posts, i observe that most of the focus is on the oil/gas industry (seismics, Petrophysics etc) but with little on near surface opportunities (Near surface seismics, geotechnical services, pollution investigation etc). I would suggest that while searching for the bug pay, if you have the opportunity of landing a job or internship with indigenous companies that are into near surface geology/geophysics, grab it. Your experience will start counting from there.

I am based in Lagos.

i should hv loved to attend the conference o.....but m not in town nw. pls help me with the petrel. collins.ehigiator@yahoo.com
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 29, 2013
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 29, 2013

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 29, 2013
[quote author=thenairama]News!!! Just loaded and free of charge. Contact 232E12C2 now get more details
If you are interested in
- Guide to Become an Advertising Copywriter 
- Guide to Become a Book Editor 
- Guide to Become a Book Publisher
- Guide to Become a Business Consultant 
- Guide to Become a Human Resources Professional
- Guide to Become a Real Estate Agent
-Guide to getting employed 
then let's get started.[/quote pls mind your self,Do you see here as Art and social science room,pls go somewhere else....if not i report you to the moderators
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Iamstrata(m): 11:41pm On Oct 29, 2013
imag5: Need sponsors for the conference contact me..let me see what to do
i missed last year nape ice due to lack of sponsor. I would be glad if u can help sir.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by jazinogold(m): 3:21am On Oct 30, 2013
imag5: Need sponsors for the conference contact me..let me see what to do
it would have been a nice avenue to see to members of these thread o.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by pascal2young(m): 5:36pm On Oct 30, 2013
Am still a student studying geology......i would like to know how tasking it is working as a geologist and please can anyone help me with a company i can do my IT.tanx
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 30, 2013

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Iamstrata(m): 7:31pm On Oct 30, 2013
imag5: Check this out.mr A has.Bsc geophysics,msc geophysics and mr B also has Bsc geophysics and pGd petroleum engineering between mr A and Mr B under favourably condition which is likely to get a rig job? and between A and B as a employer u will pick who first to work for u as field engr.. NB both A and B have 2.1 in first degree.....opinion are welcome
i'd go for mr B, i belief he is more tailored for the job because of his pgd in petroleum eng
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 6:05am On Oct 31, 2013
I_am_strata: i'd go for mr B, i belief he is more tailored for the job because of his pgd in petroleum eng
nice one
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by ideology(m): 7:56am On Oct 31, 2013
imag5: nice one
the guy with degree in pet is ok, but I would test their capability too, the other may even know those pet stuffs more than the one with degree. chief image, I sent ya text on what'sapp, yet to get your response o o o, am waiting!!
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by pascal2young(m): 10:54am On Oct 31, 2013
please send me ur email address so i cn forward it to u
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Sayet(m): 11:55am On Oct 31, 2013
thenairama: News!!! Just loaded and free of charge. Contact 232E12C2 now get more details
If you are interested in
- Guide to Become an Advertising Copywriter 
- Guide to Become a Book Editor 
- Guide to Become a Book Publisher
- Guide to Become a Business Consultant 
- Guide to Become a Human Resources Professional
- Guide to Become a Real Estate Agent
-Guide to getting employed 
then let's get started.
Rubbish
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by ideology(m): 5:30pm On Oct 31, 2013
pascal2young: please send me ur email address so i cn forward it to u
hopeman4all@yahoo.com
thanks
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 31, 2013
God! i sure luv dz forum Geophysics al d way great geoscientist!
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 31, 2013
ideology:
hopeman4all@yahoo.com
thanks
OK great
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by pascal2young(m): 7:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
am waiting for your contact@imag5
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 31, 2013
pascal2young: am waiting for your contact@imag5
marcusimagwe@yahoo.com,Skype geomakaay
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by stevebent(m): 9:48pm On Oct 31, 2013
I have a bachelor degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Can i still do masters in Petroleum Eng.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 5:55am On Nov 01, 2013
stevebent: I have a bachelor degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Can i still do masters in Petroleum Eng.
yes it possible but first where you get your first job we determined your career path...you can work in oil and gas with EE,just think of master in instrumentation and control,you can do wireline ,subsea engineering is there....cheers
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 5:59am On Nov 01, 2013
Thank you lord for the grace you havegiven us to see a new month full with hope and joy....happy new month my geoscientist and petroleum engineering guys Gods grace will continue to shine on us and also to the moderator we love you........,,Happy new month,next agenda Nape conference loading...those that need sponsor u get your reply did week
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by ideology(m): 7:39am On Nov 01, 2013
imag5: Thank you lord for the grace you havegiven us to see a new month full with hope and joy....happy new month my geoscientist and petroleum engineering guys Gods grace will continue to shine on us and also to the moderator we love you........,,Happy new month,next agenda Nape conference loading...those that need sponsor u get your reply did week
amen, thanks bro, am in, here is my id - St08/5314
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 01, 2013
SPE National Conference is another better platform for smart networking.

If you can strike a conversation with someone and hit it from there, nothing is impossible.

Also try to get a career mentor as well within your field. It helps.
labongua:

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by jazinogold(m): 12:49pm On Nov 01, 2013
Geologists and geophysicist need to be able to communicate with each other. Any project focused on finding oil on land or in the sea will need both a geophysicist and a geologist to make it successful (and yes, a petroleum engineer too). As Misac, one of our geophysics professors says, "You can't do geophysics without geology!"

So for myself and other geophysicists, I think we need to be flexible with different "languages". Get comfortable with adapting to someone else's view. The structural geology class has definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone and I needed it! The amazing thing is that this lesson is exactly the same for communicating with the public! Scientists need to learn the "language" of people who don't do research every day.

There will always be jokes but hopefully we can start useful conversations too!

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Iamstrata(m): 1:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
imag5: Thank you lord for the grace you havegiven us to see a new month full with hope and joy....happy new month my geoscientist and petroleum engineering guys Gods grace will continue to shine on us and also to the moderator we love you........,,Happy new month,next agenda Nape conference loading...those that need sponsor u get your reply did week
ok boss
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by addictiv(m): 8:25pm On Nov 01, 2013
Evening house. I recently heard about a safety course called Bosgee....with claims that its abt 300k. I just want to know if anyone has an idea about it, if its part of hse 1, 2, 3, and if its something a newbie in d industry should get involved with.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 01, 2013
Bosgee or Nebosh?
addictiv: Evening house. I recently heard about a safety course called Bosgee....with claims that its abt 300k. I just want to know if anyone has an idea about it, if its part of hse 1, 2, 3, and if its something a newbie in d industry should get involved with.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
addictiv: Evening house. I recently heard about a safety course called Bosgee....with claims that its abt 300k. I just want to know if anyone has an idea about it, if its part of hse 1, 2, 3, and if its something a newbie in d industry should get involved with.
. Yeah I think you are talking about nebosh,yes it 280k or 300 k it depends where you take you tranning, it the baba of all HSE course,hse12;and 3 it just foundation,when you do nebosh you command job at your footstep.....cheers
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 9:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
My thought exactly. If 2014 offers me something fantastic, I would definitely take NEBOSH!

I kinda love safety and first got insight when an ex student of my school delievered some paper presentation on "No Time Loss..."

last I heard a fellow friend did was around 250k.

P.S: Imag5, I respect your zeal to carry everyone along. May God bless you and strengthen you in all your endevours.

Imagine if we had 20 professionals coming on to help with useful self-developmental tips.

God bless you bro.
imag5: . Yeah I think you are talking about nebosh,yes it 280k or 300 k it depends where you take you tranning, it the baba of all HSE course,hse12;and 3 it just foundation,when you do nebosh you command job at your footstep.....cheers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (65) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Recruitment List Out! / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons / Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.