Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

What Is nigeria Problem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is nigeria Problem (500 Views)

In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? / Jonathan - I Can't Solve Nigeria's Problem Alone / Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is nigeria Problem by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 10, 2013
I was reading something online when i come across this interview conducted by Ruben abati when he was working with the guardian newspaper.......pls wats ur opinion......

Nigeria at the moment is not having the best of times in the international community: What is your position on what has now become the Nigerian problem?
It will be impossible to discuss all the Nigerian problems in one day. I believe the most serious problems can only be reduced by properly educating 50 million Nigerian students that are below the age of 18.
Unfortunately, the Nigerian government policy is very short sighted. Petroleum revenue that should have been invested in education was squandered in big elephant projects such as the Ajaokuta steel complex, building the new capital of Abuja, and maintaining a large standing Army.

Ghana spends 27 percent of its public expenditure on education while Nigeria, the 9th largest petroleum producer in the world, spends a mere 10 percent. As a result, Ghana has a per capita income that is twice that of Nigeria.

Nigerian schools only teach students how to read and write. Schools in the United States also teach students moral and character values, critical thinking and good citizenship.

Many Nigerian youths see a rich man as his role model and develops a compulsive urge to make money by any means necessary, including acquiring human body parts for juju magic or smuggling drugs to the United States.

Malaysia, Indonesia and South Korea were at the same economic level as Nigeria when the latter became independent in 1960. By prudent management, these nations have a per capita income that is 40 times greater than that of Nigeria.

The Nigerian problem(s) will be around for many decades and can only be eradicated by properly educating the next generation of 50 million young Nigerians

The person being interview is dr.philip Emeagwali.
Re: What Is nigeria Problem by Bruno3000(m): 10:18am On Oct 10, 2013
A monocultural Nigeria would hv fared better. We live in a society wia ethnoreligous divide has continued 2 polarise vast majority of Nigerians; even in d federal govt setup. It'll take a miracle 4 a change 2 take place. I suggest we go back 2 regionalism.
Re: What Is nigeria Problem by kennybelle: 10:33am On Oct 10, 2013
Everybody wants to be rich! This has led to people (rich & poor) commiting various atrocities. The poor wants to get rich n d rich wants to get richer. The politicians are d major cause, it‘s not a hidden fact!

(1) (Reply)

Anambra: S’court Stops PDP Candidate’s Campaign / What U Dont Know About ASUU Strike / UK £3000 Visitor Bond Scheme To Be Scrapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.