Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,415 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? (7883 Views)

Pictures Of The Bad Leadership In Abia State(aba) / In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? / Nigeria's Woes: A Problem Of Leadership Or 'followership'. A Reexamination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by professorb: 3:12am On Feb 13, 2011
House, please help me out with this question:

Is Nigeria's problem bad leadership or weak "followership"? We were having this argument after we watched what just happened in Tunisia and Egypt. To me, i believe that bad leadership can be stopped by strong followership, and didn't Obama ask us to build strong institutions? Why arent we able to stop the deceitful people in government even with our huge population?
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by Muza(m): 3:19am On Feb 13, 2011
both
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by OAM4J: 3:20am On Feb 13, 2011
Yes, it's both.
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by ShangoThor(m): 3:38am On Feb 13, 2011
professorb:

House, please help me out with this question:

Is Nigeria's problem bad leadership or weak "followership"? We were having this argument after we watched what just happened in Tunisia and Egypt. To me, i believe that bad leadership can be stopped by strong followership, and didn't Obama ask us to build strong institutions? Why arent we able to stop the deceitful people in government even with our huge population?

Good followership develops and gets entrenched when prosperity and confidence becomes abundant.

The issue of Good Leadership is extremely important because in my humble opinion we still do not have a system that churns out the best, even though we’ve got some extremely savvy and competent visionary individuals capable of transforming our economy to a modern digital wealth producing economy.

Furthermore, I think we have a weak ineffective State and that in such a context, good leadership alone will not suffice to turn our circumstances around. The State or System also has to be fixed.
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by mikeunegbu: 4:09am On Feb 13, 2011
It goes both ways. but to ensure good leadership, the followers must have a strong union and be willing to sacrifice. I guess thats what we followers lack in Nigeria, and that alone makes the leadership seem more powerful than the followers. Is started as a sacrifice in Tunisia, plus in Egypt, alot of people sacrificed too. What is the strenght of our unions in Nigeria and who is willing to sacrifice?
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by proflynks1(m): 4:22am On Feb 13, 2011
Nigeria's problem is more Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership" shocked cry
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by Afam4eva(m): 4:25am On Feb 13, 2011
I think it's both. But how do you follow something that's not working.
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by seanet02: 4:29am On Feb 13, 2011
Definitely both since the leaders refuse to provide good and qualitative leadership and the followership for also failing to line up this usurpers in the market place and give them the Nigerian version of the French Revolution
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by professorb: 4:31am On Feb 13, 2011
ShangoThor:

Good followership develops and gets entrenched when prosperity and confidence becomes abundant.

The issue of Good Leadership is extremely important because in my humble opinion we still do not have a system that churns out the best, even though we’ve got some extremely savvy and competent visionary individuals capable of transforming our economy to a modern digital wealth producing economy.

Furthermore, I think we have a weak ineffective State and that in such a context, good leadership alone will not suffice to turn our circumstances around. The State or System also has to be fixed.

Well said, but which would you say in this case is Nigeria's greater challenge?
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by Jeel: 7:35am On Feb 13, 2011
Leadership,leadership,leadership
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by Nobody: 9:52am On Feb 13, 2011
Looters wont get there if voters dnt sell their voters card.
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by newspapers: 9:15pm On Aug 16, 2014
Guys, i'm not sure Nigeria's problem is a result of bad leadership. Read this article first http://www.divanaija.com.ng/nigeria-blamed-leader-youth/ .

Believe it or not - We are the collective cause of the fall of Nigeria and her backwardness.
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by mikolo80: 11:00pm On Aug 16, 2014
No bad followers,just bad leaders
Re: Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? by ogbronx(m): 11:31pm On Aug 16, 2014
Followership gets a huge chunk of the blame. We demand little from our leaders. Are very divided along ethno-religious lines. Its-our-turn syndrome is a major problem of the followership.
So many a times we support pple who give immediate gains(rice,10k-TAN, etc) than seek long term developmental growth.
It would be no surprise to see that an intelligent and mentally sophisticated individual loses election to someone of lesser qualities because the latter is richer.
we have no ideology. It is why these rulers keep succeeding in getting into power without results or promise of it.
Needless to say is that the Nigerian polity now seems to favour criminals and sycophants. We hardly question the xters of those vying for political offices thus, ex convicts ,impeached governors and murder suspects contest elections.
The problem is follwership. A very docile and passive follewrship soaked deeply in ignorance and myopia.

(1) (Reply)

Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc / Reuben Abati Has NOT Resigned. It's A Rumor / Death Penalty Approved For Terrorists In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.