Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,788 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:57 PM

The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt (40104 Views)

Elegant 3 Bedroom Bungalow Construction On Half Plot - Lekki (with Pictures) / Photos From The Building Collapse In Lekki, Lagos This Morning / Photos From The Building Collapse In Isheri-Magodo, Lagos In The Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 5:23am On Dec 15, 2013
We started casting the German floor, we completed the casting of the main floor yesterday. Remaining the small external balcony we formed at the back of the house, we are going to cast this when we start the main building as I need to add 6" to the height so its not too low.

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by kostadinis: 11:16am On Dec 15, 2013
Work in progress. Looking solid...
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 8:53am On Dec 17, 2013
I must say that I am impressed by your level of expertise in the civil work. Can we learn more about this damp proof used on the DPC... don't know much about it.
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by Eneze1(f): 9:51am On Dec 19, 2013
sorry please what is damp proofing?
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 12:07pm On Dec 19, 2013
Before we discuss damp proofing, what is dampness?

Dampness occurs in a building when the ground water under a building starts to find its way up from the ground to the under of the house, affecting the foundation and lower portion of the house negatively.
Dampness occurs because of capiliary action in areas prone to underground water, like those living in some parts of Rivers, Lagos, Bayelsa, Delta, Abia and other low lying parts of this country.
The negative effects of dampness includes the weakening of floors, wetness which might affect properties and furniture, peeling of paints and spoiling of wall decorations, especially lower walls.

We try to mitigate against the capiliary action which brings about dampness by placing a thin layer of cellophane (nylon) covering over the filled foundation, then we cast the DPC. This will tend to block the seepage of water from the ground to the main building.

Hope I answered the question you were asking?
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by kostadinis: 11:49pm On Dec 19, 2013
spyder880: Before we discuss damp proofing, what is dampness?

Dampness occurs in a building when the ground water under a building starts to find its way up from the ground to the under of the house, affecting the foundation and lower portion of the house negatively.
Dampness occurs because of capiliary action in areas prone to underground water, like those living in some parts of Rivers, Lagos, Bayelsa, Delta, Abia and other low lying parts of this country.
The negative effects of dampness includes the weakening of floors, wetness which might affect properties and furniture, peeling of paints and spoiling of wall decorations, especially lower walls.

We try to mitigate against the capiliary action which brings about dampness by placing a thin layer of cellophane (nylon) covering over the filled foundation, then we cast the DPC. This will tend to block the seepage of water from the ground to the main building.

Spyder, I was discussing with a friend about the foundation of his new house. He got it impressed on me that he's looking forward to a "solid" foundation with a wire mesh. But, I found this unnecessary as a poorly compacted foundation would still settle even with a wire mesh on it. Cellophane covering as you've been doing in PH makes more technical sense to me. Do you think they're right with their idea of a "solid" foundation? Where is really the place of wire mesh in building foundations?
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 12:05am On Dec 20, 2013
kostadinis:

Spyder, I was discussing with a friend about the foundation of his new house. He got it impressed on me that he's looking forward to a "solid" foundation with a wire mesh. But, I found this unnecessary as a poorly compacted foundation would still settle even with a wire mesh on it. Cellophane covering as you've been doing in PH makes more technical sense to me. Do you think they're right with their idea of a "solid" foundation? Where is really the place of wire mesh in building foundations?

Wire mesh is good, but is is mostly recommended for higher buildings, areas where the load is frequent and rough like drive ways or service stations. But I have seen them used in buildings. Use them if the structural engineer specifies it.
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 10:39am On Dec 20, 2013
spyder880: Before we discuss damp proofing, what is dampness?

Thanks for the reply... I have a clear understanding of the term now.
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by tlops(m): 8:51pm On Dec 31, 2013
Happy New year

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 12:04am On Jan 01, 2014
Happy new year to all my friends here, may this new year 2014 bring to your lives;

PEACE
JOY
GOOD HEALTH
WEALTH
HAPPINESS
UPLIFTMENT
FAVOR
MANIFESTATION OF GOD'S WORK
MERRIMENT
UNPRECEDENTED SUCCESS

GOD BE WITH YOU ALL.
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by kostadinis: 12:07am On Jan 01, 2014
And to our great Chairman as well. It's gonna be a year of major breakthrough for you, IJN
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by Ezemistic: 4:30am On Jan 06, 2014
Keep it up
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by bookface: 2:00pm On Jan 06, 2014
Oga Spyder well done sir!

Please can you provide a rough estimate of cost till this level?

and can you provide a rough estimate of the overall budget for the project?
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by Ezemistic: 11:06pm On Jan 10, 2014
Hello spyder880,
I have not been that regular on Nairaland, I just came across your thread during thorough google search of building cost. This house is located at Asaba, it is at d plastering stage.. I have bn building it stage by stage using every possible cut-cost method but quality materials. I don't know if u can handle d plastering stage... Pls get back to me... If u are too busy, then kindly assist me with the estimated amount for material & labour.

Thanks

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by Ezemistic: 11:07pm On Jan 10, 2014
More photo of the completed house

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by Ezemistic: 11:09pm On Jan 10, 2014
It is a 4-units of 3-bedrooms.
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by Fhemmmy: 11:13pm On Jan 10, 2014
Ezemistic: It is a 4-units of 3-bedrooms.

Nice unit . . . Congrats
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 3:03pm On Jan 27, 2015
Remember this thread, and this house in PH? We are planning to continue the project, the decking comes up soon.

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 7:40pm On Jun 23, 2015
We return to this building this week. We are here to continue the project. We moved in to hang a suspended slab (decking) on this house. Expect pictures of work progress, details and more as we move forward.
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by mufutau55(m): 8:18pm On Jun 23, 2015
spyder880:
We return to this building this week. We are here to continue the project. We moved in to hang a suspended slab (decking) on this house. Expect pictures of work progress, details and more as we move forward.

Almost One and half years from the start... God is good.

Hajji M.
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 8:48pm On Jun 23, 2015
mufutau55:

Almost One and half years from the start... God is good.

Hajji M.

My Oga agba cheesy God is good indeed.
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by mufutau55(m): 10:26pm On Jun 23, 2015
spyder880:

My Oga agba cheesy God is good indeed.

My Oga pata-pata, I hail jare. Still thanking for the help.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 1:40pm On Jun 30, 2015
We started with a mound of sand........

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 1:42pm On Jun 30, 2015
Turn it and make a base from it......

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 1:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
From these...

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 1:48pm On Jun 30, 2015
To these......

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by tushbobo(m): 2:09pm On Jun 30, 2015
Welcome back to the project!
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 6:37pm On Jun 30, 2015
tushbobo:
Welcome back to the project!

Thank you Sir.
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 7:22am On Jul 02, 2015
Work still ongoing slowly here, too much rains in PH this week, I am waiting for this cast pillars to be dried enough for us to mount it, then we can start the decking proper. These pillars are internal and so needs to be done before the deck slab.
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 3:36pm On Jul 06, 2015
We are in the market now, buying decking wood for this house.
Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 7:20pm On Jul 07, 2015
We bought the wood yesterday. ......

Re: The Building Of The Elegant 5 Bedroom Duplex In Port Harcourt by spyder880(m): 7:22pm On Jul 07, 2015
And the columns are mounted. .....

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

5 BEDROOM PANTHEON SMART DUPLEX + A POOL @ ORCHID BY CHEVRON LEKKI. CALL US NOW! / How Much Will I Need To Roof This 3 Bedroom Bungalow - / Building A New 6 Bedroom Duplex, A Diary.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.