Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,701 members, 7,831,189 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor (1631 Views)

5 Sets Of Persons Who Betrayed Jonathan... And Nemesis Is Catching Up With Them / CIA Brought Me To Power - Charles Taylor / Has Charles Taylor Escaped? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by kettykin: 11:56am On Oct 12, 2013
CHARLES TAYLOR ACCUSES OBASANJO OF BETRAYAL

November 11, 2009 By destinationnigeria Leave a CommentFormer Liberian President Charles Taylor has said he was deceived by Nigeria into being arrested there in 2006.Speaking at his war crimes trial in The Hague, he said former President Olusegun Obasanjo had reneged on a promise to let him leave the country freely.Yesterday, he said he hoped he would live to look Obasanjo in the face one day and ask him to tell the truth about what happened. He also claimed a plot involving the UK and the US led to his indictment. Taylor is accused of backing rebels, who committed widespread atrocities throughout the 1990s in Liberia’s neighbour Sierra Leone.He was living in exile in Nigeria in 2006 when US pressure to put him on trial for alleged war crimes increased. Taylor now says Obasanjo – who is currently a United Nations peace envoy – told him lies that caused him to be arrested. The former Liberian leader told the Special Court for Sierra Leone yesteray that Obasanjo had earlier assured him he could leave the country freely.“He lied to the world when he said I was escaping, and he knew nothing about it,” he said. “Why he lied? I don’t know, but as a brother and a friend, I think he ought to speak and tell the truth about it.”After Obasanjo said Liberia’s new government was free to take Taylor into custody, the former Liberian leader suddenly disappeared while Obasanjo was on his way to Washington to meet his US counterpart, George W Bush.
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by kettykin: 11:57am On Oct 12, 2013
kwajaamc@yahoo.com At the point we are now, everybody must answer his father’s name… In 2003, the trio of Olusegun Obasanjo, Thabo Mbeki and John Kuffor of Nigeria, South Africa and Ghana respectively prevailed upon Charles Taylor to step down as the Liberian President. We can not forget the back up given by Abdulsalam Abubakar and Mr. Chambas the Executive Secretary of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). The heating up of the polity in Liberia as a result of the years of civil war polarized the nation, to a point of near collapse. Taylor represents many things to so many people; criminal, hero, warlord, war monger, mentor, freedom fighter, traitor, manipulator, rebel leader, diamond smuggler, gun runner e.t.c. For several people, Taylor is synonymous to the Liberian war as well as the inability to achieve a cease fire agreement between or among the warring factions. The challenge at that point in time was how to achieve a Liberia without Taylor. It is within this context that we can appreciate the individual and collective roles played by these African leaders in making sure Taylor left Liberia. The Nigerian President who was the “Chief of Party” in the whole process was quick to state in clear terms that Nigeria can not be harassed by any body for whatsoever reason as far as the Taylor issue was concerned. For some of us, that was a bold and courageous move by an African leader. The implication is that; we have come of age and that; the problems of Africa can be handled by Africans. The Taylor issue is no exception. For most onlookers, Obasanjo is a friend of Taylor and the people of Liberia, considering the way and manner the whole process of finding a common ground for granting asylum to Taylor was concluded. Of importance also is the fact that Taylor’s acceptance to leave Liberia might be part of a deal struck by the leaders. If Taylor had not stepped down as well as leave Liberia, there would have been no peace in Liberia today. Thus he stated; I believe strongly that Taylor was not force to leave Liberia. This he confirmed when he said; “if I were the problem, which I know you know I am not, I would step aside…I would become the sacrificial lamb, I would become the whipping boy that you should live”. The question that really beg for an answer remains; is the arrest of Taylor a violation of a peace accord the Obasanjo led trouble shooters signed with him?   As a matter of fact there are several methodological and hypothetical questions that must be raised at this point in time; to help in our appreciation of the Taylor saga as well as its implication for the security and stability of the fragile democracy in Liberia, the West African sub-region and the continent in general. Was there a deal struck between Taylor and the trio of Obasanjo, Mbeki and Kuffor, which led to his stepping down as President of Liberia? Under what condition was an asylum granted him in Nigeria? Was there any form of restriction on Taylor in the form of house arrest during Taylor’s stay in Nigeria? Since the African Union was instrumental to Taylor’s exit from Liberia, what role did the organization play in facilitating his arrest as well as his subsequent handover to the United Nations officials to face war crimes tribunal on charges of war against humanity? For some of us, there is no denying the fact that Taylor should face a war crime tribunal in view of his inglorious role in sparking up violent conflict in Liberia as well as supporting rebels in Sierra Leone leading to a civil war which lasted for over ten years. In fact Taylor senselessly ordered the execution of thousands of people, destruction of properties, displaced as well as rendered many a people permanently disabled in and outside of Liberia. Thus some of the charges against him include; backing Sierra Leone rebels including fighting children (child soldiers), murder, gun running and other crimes against humanity among others. In his reaction to insinuations of complicity as a result of the escape of Charles Taylor from Nigeria Obasanjo argued;“It is important to note that Taylor is neither a friend of the President (Olusegun Obasanjo) of Nigeria nor that of its people”. It is confusing to hear Obasanjo making such a statement at this point in time. When he told the world that he can not be harassed by anyone as far as his decision to grant Taylor asylum to Nigeria is concern. Amidst mixed reaction across the length and breadth of Nigeria and the international community on such a decision Obasanjo was adamant. When the chips were down the same Obasanjo was the first to say Taylor has never been his friend. The question Obasanjo must answer at this point in time is; on what capacity did he negotiate with Taylor to leave Liberia as well as grant him asylum in Nigeria? For some of us, knowing Obasanjo for who he is and what he can do, he can sacrifice anything and anybody to get what he wants. For the first time, we saw Obasanjo calm and composed in Washington when he visited his emperor George Bush. There is no big deal sacrificing Taylor for third term. After all, sacrifices must be made to get something tangible most important if it has to do with naked power. We understand why Obasanjo refused to give a Yes or No answer when he was asked if he is interested in a third term by the American journalists. The fact still remains that Taylor could not have left or escaped from Nigeria without being given a lee way to do that. The impression in his face at the time he was caught as well as arrested confirmed that he was “betrayed” by some “trusted” friends. Our minds are quick to go back to 2003 when Obasanjo and Taylor hugged each other under the watchful eyes of the world when the deal sealed for his exit from Liberia. Both men claim to be serious and committed born again Christians if I am not mistaken. They must have something in common with Judas Iscariot and his master and Saviour, where the same hug was used to show friendship and solidarity as well as betrayal. We wait for the day Obasanjo will read the funeral oration of Taylor as typical of him. That is the day Taylor will be a saint for the world as will be presented by “our beloved” Obasanjo. We remember vividly the oration at the funeral of Chief Sunday Afolabi one of his bosom friends, whom he sacked as Minister on the grounds of “corruption”? Balarabe Musa was quite succinct on the Taylor saga in his reaction; “it was obvious that there was a conspiracy between Nigeria and America to bring Taylor to Nigeria in the first place. It is the same conspiracy that has played itself out with Taylor’s attempted escape and his subsequent arrest”. Indeed, Taylor must be lamenting now. Was he short-changed or betrayed? Was this what he bargained for when Obasanjo, Mbeki and Kuffor struck a deal with him? Is the game really up? Who will tell my story, me or someone else? I must be quick to say the game is up for Taylor. Someone will have to tell his story someday. That is the price he has to pay for miscalculating. The strategist that he is, he was unable to read the hand writings on the wall. In conclusion, the issue at stake goes beyond a character called Taylor standing trial on charges of war crime in Sierra Leone or The Hague. He must be brought to justice as far as the charges against him are concerned. It will no doubt serve as a deterrent to other Taylors out there. Of serious importance is the fact that individual and group emotions and interest must not subvert or take precedent over the rule of law. The Taylor issue should not be judged according to the whims and caprices of the United States as well as the machinations of other characters out there. I must be quick to also state that a lot of our leaders are as guilty of war crime as Taylor himself. The number of lives and properties lost as a result of unpopular policies and the series of avoidable conflicts and violence we have experienced are all a function of the insensitivity of our leaders to the yearnings, aspirations as well as expectations of the people. If our leaders can not guarantee the greatest happiness of the greatest number, they are as well guilty of war crimes.  Note: The Views expressed and issues discussed in this paper, do not in any way represent those of Global Rights: Partners for Justice.  They are the views of the author.
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by kettykin: 12:00pm On Oct 12, 2013
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 12, 2013
"I don't want to say something now and some people start feeling one kind". Jonathan, 2011.
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by kettykin: 12:00pm On Oct 12, 2013
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 12, 2013
This type of article is supposed to be classified.
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by AkinDavid2: 12:10pm On Oct 12, 2013
Scattered presentation. OP get your write up right

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 12, 2013
@Oooh Peee

where were you when charles taylor was troubling west africa? Think of dat before you go about smeering the yoruba tribe simply because of your hate for them.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by sammyyoung2(m): 12:54pm On Oct 12, 2013
copy cat OP....... tongue tongue tongue
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by dridowu: 1:19pm On Oct 12, 2013
Obasanjo was acting on behalf Nigeria not Yorubas.....................So Mr Tribalistic op change ur topic appropriately.
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by gerald09(m): 1:37pm On Oct 12, 2013
I remembered when it happened majority of "Nigerians" gave him a thumbs up cos of the way he butchered peoples hands even some Nigerians suffered his wrath. Which 1 e come turn to Yoruba affair?
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 12, 2013
Hahahaha... Am sure dis OP didnt knw anyting about charles tailor... OBJ is not Yoruba president.. OP u must be in Primary 3 when dat incident took place... U knw nothing of History... TRIBALIST BURUKU BURUKU... Hahaha
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by Nobody: 1:45pm On Oct 12, 2013
[size=20pt]they are good at betraying their friends, what else are they good at. snakes with 2 heads.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 12, 2013
googlepikin: [size=20pt]they are good at betraying their friends, what else are they good at. snakes with 2 heads.[/size]
"I don't want to say something now and some Igbos start feeling one kind".

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:56pm On Oct 12, 2013
The Question is would Yar'Adua or Jonathan have betrayed Taylor?

Why is the betrayal coming from only one tribe?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by wordcat(m): 1:58pm On Oct 12, 2013
Abeg op, which one be Yoruba head of state?
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by Olaolufred(m): 4:07pm On Oct 12, 2013
I remember that several nigerians (mostly of Igbo extraction died due to Taylors war-lordship.
I remember one of my brother (igbo extraction) who was lucky not to have died but was amputated by rebels during this saga came to grant interview on kaakaki (AIT).
He mentioned the rate at which Nigerians were killed because of the dept of their hatred for the country.
Many also amputated.
Does Taylor really deserved to be shield from justice?.
Obj acted to get justice for Nigerians killed, particularly our brothers from East.
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by dayokanu(m): 4:14pm On Oct 12, 2013
[size=13pt]Which betrayal can be more than a warlord fleeing warfront and leaving innocent women and children to suffer[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by AkinDavid2: 4:16pm On Oct 12, 2013
dayokanu: [size=13pt]Which betrayal can be more than a warlord fleeing warfront and leaving innocent women and children to suffer[/size]

You mind them and the novice OP...leave them make them they wash their nyansh for market. @OP stop feeding your cerebral with inconsistent and vague information.
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by Awakullowo: 4:23pm On Oct 12, 2013
I wish the senseless OP can come to PH i would have taken you to 2 ibo men offices to know how Charles Taylor ruthlessly dealt with them. They can't count their losses in Liberia.
Omo ale ni e (You are a bast..d).
The same OP was begging SS on behalf of all ibos to join their hopeless biafra 2 days ago.
Omo Iran Kiran.
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by ba7man(m): 4:29pm On Oct 12, 2013
OBJ facilitated the apprehension of a wanted war criminal and @OP is saying it was betrayal.

So if a criminal runs to you to hide, you will gladly protect him from prosecution just to prove your loyalty? See how some people think.

This Op is a well know Yoruba hater so his motive was clear before the thread was even opened.
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by seunfly: 6:04pm On Oct 12, 2013
If u were to lead your people, would you have hid a known criminal and let ur people suffer under sanctions or u would let him go and face the result of his hard work.
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by cashkid18(m): 9:42pm On Oct 12, 2013
dayokanu: [size=13pt]Which betrayal can be more than a warlord fleeing warfront and leaving innocent women and children to suffer[/size]
n wic betrayal cud hv bin more than a leader drinkin rat poison wen his pple needed him d most undecided
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by Brimmie(m): 9:55pm On Oct 12, 2013
cashkid18: n wic betrayal cud hv bin more than a leader drinkin rat poison wen his pple needed him d most undecided

!!umuM undecided
Re: Obasanjo Betrayed Charles Taylor by cashkid18(m): 10:03pm On Oct 12, 2013
Brimmie:

!!umuM undecided

(1) (Reply)

Faces Of Progressiveness In APC. Looking Great. / Photo Of The Day: Keeping Fit With Mallam Okorocha / Buhari, Kwankwaso In Make Or Mar Battle For APC Ticket.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.