Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,247 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program (4894 Views)

Five(5)things People Don't Know About Bukola Saraki.. / Interesting Ghanaian Thoughts About Nigeria. / Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 8:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
aletheia:

Nigeria's space program aids development and infrastructure. For example, NigComSat-1R is expected to play a major role in meeting Nigeria’s telecommunications, broadcast, aviation, maritime, defense and security needs. The portion of the Nigerian GDP spent sustaining a space program will not prevent the development of other sectors. It is much better that we have a home-grown space program to address these needs rather than be always dependent on and hostage to foreign technology. The initial use of Chinese and Russian technologies is expected given that they had years of a head start. A number of Nigerian engineers have already benefited by gaining skills in space technology and played a major role building NigeriaSat-X.
The development of the Nigeria Space Program is in carefully calibrated stages and over time, Nigeria will acquire indigenous launch capacity. Moreover, space is a critical, strategic, future resource and shortsightedness should not rob Nigeria of the chance to be represented there.

A nation that is struggling to develop infrastructure has no business with Space programs. I suppose all European nations must have their own Space programs since thats feeding their citizens. Nigeria can get the basics right but they are attempting programs that are beyond them. Paying China and Russia to develop your space program is analogous to giving someone else your lunch, watching him eat it, and then asking him afterwards how it tasted. It is stupidity of the highest order. GDP is not spent - it is sum total of all economic activity - paying China and Russia increases their GDP while your revenue goes down. That revenue could be better spent on programs that Nigerians really need NOW.

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 8:51pm On Oct 13, 2013
iterator24: Lol..it appears you're new to arguments on this platform..

Yes with your 66 posts, you are a legend in this section. But you probably have several monikers anyway.

Regardless of how many posts you have anyway, why is it so difficult for you to have an intellectual debate? Could it be you have nothing to contribute to your own thread?
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Nobody: 8:53pm On Oct 13, 2013
Katsumoto:

Yes with your 66 posts, you are a legend in this section. But you probably have several monikers anyway.

Regardless of how many posts you have anyway, why is it so difficult for you to have an intellectual debate? Could it be you have nothing to contribute to your own thread?
good.. for a moment I thought you were a dummy
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 13, 2013
Katsumoto:

A nation that is struggling to develop infrastructure has no business with Space programs. I suppose all European nations must have their own Space programs since thats feeding their citizens. Nigeria can get the basics right but they are attempting programs that are beyond them. Paying China and Russia to develop your space program is analogous to giving someone else your lunch, watching him eat it, and then asking him afterwards how it tasted. It is stupidity of the highest order. GDP is not spent - it is sum total of all economic activity - paying China and Russia increases their GDP while your revenue goes down. That revenue could be better spent on programs that Nigerians really need NOW.
And some people still want you to engage them 'intellectually' lipsrsealed smh
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 9:04pm On Oct 13, 2013
iterator24:
And some people still want you to engage them 'intellectually' lipsrsealed smh

Don't just highlight like a doofus, tell us what you feel is wrong with that statement. Those paying you are not getting value for money. grin grin grin

I will trounce you on any subject in my sleep.
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 9:16pm On Oct 13, 2013
Corrupt individuals

They outsource their health industry to foreigners, now outsource space program to the Chinese and Russians.

A nation that still relies on citizens going to the UK, Germany, and India for health reasons. But what about the Nigerians who can't afford a plane ticket let alone thousands of dollars required for treatment, who pays for them?

If Nelson Mandela were a Nigerian, he would be living permanently in a foreign hospital. There isn't a single hospital in Nigeria that can be used for all kinds of treatment. No programs to develop education, health, infrastructure but they hand over billions to foreigners to fly to space for them, bunch of greedy and senseless monkeys.

Accident - go to South Africa
Kidney transplant - go to india
Medical checkup - go to Germany or UK

Tell us why the space program is necesarry and their paid agents are resulting to ad hominem attacks and insults.
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Horus(m): 9:18pm On Oct 13, 2013
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 13, 2013
Katsumoto:

Don't just highlight like a doofus, tell us what you feel is wrong with that statement. those paying you are not getting value for money. grin grin grin

I will trounce you on any subject in my sleep.
you mean I should comment on posts devoid of gravity and intelligence? Charlie go and sleep it's late lipsrsealed
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Tolexander: 9:40pm On Oct 13, 2013
Katsumoto:

Don't just highlight like a doofus, tell us what you feel is wrong with that statement. Those paying you are not getting value for money. grin grin grin

I will trounce you on any subject in my sleep death.
fixed!
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by aletheia(m): 11:03pm On Oct 13, 2013
Katsumoto:

1. Your post sounds condescending and belittles the efforts of Nigerian engineers. It seems to me you are only interested in the narrative that suits your own particular view of Nigeria.
2. My earlier post has already highlighted the advantages to our economy and "infrastructure" of having an indigenous home grown space program. It is far better for Nigeria to use its own satellites for image acquisition, disaster monitoring, remote sensing, telecommunications etc than to pay our money to US or Europe for the same services. It is like you said "giving someone else your lunch, watching him eat it, and then asking him afterwards how it tasted. It is stupidity of the highest order"
3. A space program is most definitely not beyond Nigeria and is needed NOW.
4. Like I stated in my earlier post, the amount money spent as a fraction of Nigeria's GDP (since you insist on being so pedantic) on acquiring space technology will not prevent us from "developing infrastructure".
5. It is logical to go to the Chinese and Russians to acquire the skills for a space program since they 've had a head start.
6. Your comment about Europe shows that you probably have not heard of the European Space Agency and the Galileo global satellite navigation system program.
7. My conclusion is that your position is not under-girded by a careful consideration of the advantages of a Nigerian Space Program at this time.
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Nobody: 12:49am On Oct 14, 2013
aletheia:

1. Your post sounds condescending and belittles the efforts of Nigerian engineers. It seems to me you are only interested in the narrative that suits your own particular view of Nigeria.
2. My earlier post has already highlighted the advantages to our economy and "infrastructure" of having an indigenous home grown space program. It is far better for Nigeria to use its own satellites for image acquisition, disaster monitoring, remote sensing, telecommunications etc than to pay our money to US or Europe for the same services. It is like you said "giving someone else your lunch, watching him eat it, and then asking him afterwards how it tasted. It is stupidity of the highest order"
4. Like I stated in my earlier post, the amount money spent as a fraction of Nigeria's GDP (since you insist on being so pedantic) on acquiring space technology will not prevent us from "developing infrastructure".
5. It is logical to go to the Chinese and Russians to acquire the skills for a space program since they 've had a head start.
6. Your comment about Europe shows that you probably have not heard of the European Space Agency and the Galileo global satellite navigation system program.
7. My conclusion is that your position is not under-girded by a careful consideration of the advantages of a Nigerian Space Program at this time.
bros you get time
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by PapaBrowne(m): 1:28am On Oct 14, 2013
Katsumoto:

Nigerian satellites are launched from China using Russian rockets. Nigeria is the proverbial 'a fool and his money are soon parted'. You mean Chinese and Russian scientists?

70% of Nigerians live on less than 70 pence per day. Nigeria should be spending money on programs that will aid development and infrastructure.

If you believe this crap of 70%, you will believe anything.
7 questions I'd ask you:

1) What is the cheapest cost of commuting in Lagos from one point to another using the most acrid transportation methods frequented by the poorest Lagosians. About 150 Naira daily on the low side.

2) How much does an average hawker earn on a Lagos or Warri or PH traffic jam daily? Average 1800 Naira daily.

3)How much is a plate of food in a dinghy mamaput? Average 150 Naira

4)Who constitutes this imaginary 70%? Is it bus conductors, or market women or street hawkers or builders or agberos or suya sellers or Okada Riders or gatemen or barbers or shop owners or tailors or carpenters or bread sellers or mamaput vendors or fruit sellers or who

5)Who are the owners of the 120 million active mobile phones lines in Nigeria? Do they include this 70%? If they do, I would like to know whether the government at anytime provided free handsets since these fellas would have to stay off food for at least 30 days to be able to buy the cheaopest handset at 3000 naira.

6)And finally, if 70% of people live on a dollar a day, please tell me what they do with their lives since in that $1 they have to load their phones, buy food, commute, watch english league, drink burukutu, pay rent, buy clothes, and a whole lot other things. They have to be genius to compress all these activities in one dollar.
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 2:24am On Oct 14, 2013
aletheia:

1. Did I address the efforts of Nigerian engineers in my post. The facts remain that Nigeria's Space Program is no more a collaboration of Chinese and Russian efforts to rip Nigeria of.
2. Your earlier response was rather generic; it didn't speak to the Nigerian situation and the advantages to the Nigerian people. Everyone knows the advantages of having satellites in space but of what use is a satellite if Nigerian responders use a satellite to arrive at a location but can't save the lives of those affected? What disaster as Nigeria had that responders were able to save the lives of those affected? What is the point of responding when the rich must still fly to foreign countries for treatment and the poor die in the hospitals? In the last two years, at least 4 governors have sought treatment abroad. What about those who can't go overseas?
3. Of course it is not beyond Nigeria - Nigeria is paying for it. All victims of a rip-off have something to lose in the first place.
4. And have you developed the other infrastructure? A nation that can't meet its power needs has no business in space. No roads, no power, no hospitals, no good schools, aircrafts are dropping from the sky a few times every year. What is this government doing to address all the shortcomings in all basic amenities?
5. So who did China pay to start its Space program? Whose launchpad did China use and whose rockets carried its satellites? Or did the Russians pay the Americans to start their Space program?
6. A collaboration between EU nations is not the same thing as an undertaken by an individual nation. Its not the same thing.
7. My position is that one must learn to crawl before one can walk. Nigeria is attempting to fly when it can't even walk. There are so many things that need to be provided first before this. My conclusion is that only those who are benefiting from the wasteful programs laud it so much.
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 2:28am On Oct 14, 2013
PapaBrowne:

If you believe this crap of 70%, you will believe anything.
7 questions I'd ask you:

1) What is the cheapest cost of commuting in Lagos from one point to another using the most acrid transportation methods frequented by the poorest Lagosians. About 150 Naira daily on the low side.

2) How much does an average hawker earn on a Lagos or Warri or PH traffic jam daily? Average 1800 Naira daily.

3)How much is a plate of food in a dinghy mamaput? Average 150 Naira

4)Who constitutes this imaginary 70%? Is it bus conductors, or market women or street hawkers or builders or agberos or suya sellers or Okada Riders or gatemen or barbers or shop owners or tailors or carpenters or bread sellers or mamaput vendors or fruit sellers or who

5)Who are the owners of the 120 million active mobile phones lines in Nigeria? Do they include this 70%? If they do, I would like to know whether the government at anytime provided free handsets since these fellas would have to stay off food for at least 30 days to be able to buy the cheaopest handset at 3000 naira.

6)And finally, if 70% of people live on a dollar a day, please tell me what they do with their lives since in that $1 they have to load their phones, buy food, commute, watch english league, drink burukutu, pay rent, buy clothes, and a whole lot other things. They have to be genius to compress all these activities in one dollar.

So 150 Million Nigerians live in Lagos, Abuja, PH, Kaduna? Many Nigerians have multiple handsets. Please re-read your posts and think about Nigerians who do not live in cities and the many poor folks who live in cities. I don't wish to have a drawn out debate about this - if you believe a majority of Nigerians live above the poverty line, then I say, 'whatever floats your boat'.
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by manny4life(m): 2:55am On Oct 14, 2013
Katsumoto:

70% of Nigerians live on less than 70 pence per day. Nigeria should be spending money on programs that will aid development and infrastructure.

This is just to WRONG and FALSE. 70% of Nigerians do not live under $1/day notwithstanding that Nigeria's middle class increased by 28% according to popular reports by NBS.
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 3:02am On Oct 14, 2013
manny4life:

This is just to WRONG and FALSE. 70% of Nigerians do not live under $1/day notwithstanding that Nigeria's middle class increased by 28% according to popular reports by NBS.

Now you quote NBS? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by manny4life(m): 3:09am On Oct 14, 2013
Katsumoto:

Now you quote NBS? grin grin grin

That's why I said "popular report by NBS", I'd take that over some hyped up biased report from WB
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by aletheia(m): 9:45am On Oct 14, 2013
Katsumoto:
1. Did I address the efforts of Nigerian engineers in my post. The facts remain that Nigeria's Space Program is no more a collaboration of Chinese and Russian efforts to rip Nigeria of.
I disagree. NigeriaSat-X was solely built by Nigerian engineers. A feat widely acknowledged and commended by non-Nigeria observers.

Katsumoto:
2. Your earlier response was rather generic; it didn't speak to the Nigerian situation and the advantages to the Nigerian people. Everyone knows the advantages of having satellites in space but of what use is a satellite if Nigerian responders use a satellite to arrive at a location but can't save the lives of those affected? What disaster as Nigeria had that responders were able to save the lives of those affected? What is the point of responding when the rich must still fly to foreign countries for treatment and the poor die in the hospitals? In the last two years, at least 4 governors have sought treatment abroad. What about those who can't go overseas?

My response was not generic. So Nigeria doesn't need the remote sensing, telecommunications, disaster monitoring etc afforded by satellites? Those who go abroad for treatment largely do so for status reasons. Almost whatever treatment they get abroad can be gotten in Nigeria. This is an established fact. You are aware that the governor of Kogi state did not travel abroad after his femoral fracture but was treated fully in Nigeria. The irony is that you are exactly like those governors you condemn. You denigrate Nigerian efforts to become self-reliant in space technology and would have us dependent on Western technology because "we are not ready". How typically condescending.

Katsumoto:
3. Of course it is not beyond Nigeria - Nigeria is paying for it. All victims of a rip-off have something to lose in the first place.

So do tell us what we are losing by developing our local capacity in space technology and training our engineers in astronautics.

Katsumoto:
4. And have you developed the other infrastructure? A nation that can't meet its power needs has no business in space. No roads, no power, no hospitals, no good schools, aircrafts are dropping from the sky a few times every year. What is this government doing to address all the shortcomings in all basic amenities?
No roads? Really?
No power? Really?
No hospitals? Really?
No good schools? Really?
So China, Russia, USA, India, Brazil don't have air crashes?

This your woe-mongering is still not a justification for not acquiring space technology. It is the lame argument of Western interests who realize that Nigeria and other developing countries acquiring space tech means less income for them.

Katsumoto:
5. So who did China pay to start its Space program? Whose launchpad did China use and whose rockets carried its satellites? Or did the Russians pay the Americans to start their Space program?
The origins of US, Russian and Chinese space programs are from the World War II German rocket program. They all stole German technology. Qian Xuesen who is arguably the father of China's space program was principally involved in "Operation Paperclip". So because they did not pay the Germans, we should follow their example and steal the technology?

Katsumoto:
6. A collaboration between EU nations is not the same thing as an undertaken by an individual nation. Its not the same thing.
Europe is essentially a tightly knit economic structure, functioning in some respects like one sovereign entity. If they decide to pool resources in space, it's fine. It doesn't make it wrong if individual states like China, Brazil, India, Iran, Israel, Nigeria, and Ghana want to go it alone.

Katsumoto:
7. My position is that one must learn to crawl before one can walk. Nigeria is attempting to fly when it can't even walk. There are so many things that need to be provided first before this. My conclusion is that only those who are benefiting from the wasteful programs laud it so much.

Actually what we are doing at this stage in our space program is crawling. I look forward to the day, when Nigeria will launch its own satellites from Nigerian soil, using Nigerian-built rockets. What things need to be provided before we acquire capacity in space technology? Don't we already use technology dependent on space technology. So we should keep forking out money to Western companies because in your opinion, we are "not ready"? As far as I am concerned, this is one of the most far-sighted decisions taken by the OBJ administration to give impetus to our space program.

5 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 14, 2013
aletheia:
I disagree. NigeriaSat-X was solely built by Nigerian engineers. A feat widely acknowledged and commended by non-Nigeria observers.

My response was not generic. So Nigeria doesn't need the remote sensing, telecommunications, disaster monitoring etc afforded by satellites? Those who go abroad for treatment largely do so for status reasons. Almost whatever treatment they get abroad can be gotten in Nigeria. This is an established fact. You are aware that the governor of Kogi state did not travel abroad after his femoral fracture but was treated fully in Nigeria. The irony is that you are exactly like those governors you condemn. You denigrate Nigerian efforts to become self-reliant in space technology and would have us dependent on Western technology because "we are not ready". How typically condescending.

So do tell us what we are losing by developing our local capacity in space technology and training our engineers in astronautics.

No roads? Really?
No power? Really?
No hospitals? Really?
No good schools? Really?

This your woe-mongering is still not a justification for not acquiring space technology. It is the lame argument of Western interests who realize that Nigeria and other developing countries acquiring space tech means less income for them.

The origins of US, Russian and Chinese space programs are from the World War II German rocket program. They all stole German technology. Qian Xuesen who is arguably the father of China's space program was principally involved in "Operation Paperclip". So because they did not pay the Germans, we should follow their example and steal the technology?

Europe is essentially a tightly knit economic structure, functioning in some respects like one sovereign entity. If they decide to pool resources in space, it's fine. It doesn't make it wrong if individual states like China, Brazil, India, Iran, Israel, Nigeria, and Ghana want to go it alone.

Actually what we are doing at this stage in our space program is crawling. I look forward to the day, when Nigeria will launch its own satellites from Nigerian soil, using Nigerian-built rockets. What things need to be provided before we acquire capacity in space technology? Don't we already use technology dependent on space technology. So we should keep forking out money to Western companies because in your opinion, we are "not ready"? As far as I am concerned, this is one of the most far-sighted decisions taken by the OBJ administration to give impetus to our space program.
Some slowpokes refuse to be enlightened.. this thread is not the first, yet retarrds keep surfacing.. I hate the fact that you're engaging him

2 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 4:23pm On Oct 14, 2013
aletheia:

No roads? Really?
No power? Really?
No hospitals? Really?
No good schools? Really?

1. My point stands, no matter how commendable the efforts of the Nigerian engineers.

2. Those who go abroad do so only for status reasons? So the GEJ’s wife who spent several weeks abroad did so for status reasons? Suntai and Chime also spent several months abroad for status reasons? Thank you for admitting that PDP elected officials are wasting thousands of dollars on treatment that can be locally obtained and are in the process absent from their duties. What about Agagu’s son that had to be flown abroad for treatment? He did so for status reasons? What about the hundreds of Nigerians who have to raise funds each year to go to India for treatment? They are also doing so for status reasons? You sir are lying through your teeth. See article below; Nigerian Health sector is in such a wonderful state that Nigerian experts decided to waste 3 days talking about non-existent problems.
‘Why is the Nigerian health system in spite of the huge resources – human and material – that the nation could boast of still in a parlous state? Why is the nation plagued by a dearth of world-class medical centers? How can the health sector be revamped and become attractive for big players in the private sector? What steps should be taken to halt the brain-drain in the health sector and attract Nigerian physicians in the Diaspora back home? Should public office holders be barred from seeking medical help abroad as a way of forcing them to address the problem in the health sector? These were some of the questions raised by THISDAY with some Nigerian physicians residing in the Americas during a three-day scientific session in Las Vegas recently.’
http://anpa.org/blog/2012/08/07/the-problem-with-nigerias-health-sector-tokunbo-adedoja-of-thisday-magazine-interviews-anpa-members/

3. You continue to miss my point; I am not stating that Space programs are not required. I am merely stating that there are other priorities that SHOULD be attended to first. I asked you previously, of what use is information from a satellite if you don’t have the means to respond efficiently and adequately to the data?

4. Accidents are inevitable with air and road travel but like all risks, they have to be managed efficiently. Road fatalities per 100,000: USA – 10, India – 18, Brazil – 22, China – 18, Nigeria – 33. In the last decade, Nigeria has had more crashes than those countries put together despite Nigeria operating fewer flights. Chinese get treated in China, Brazilians get treated in Brazil, Indians get treated in India but Nigerians get treated in India, USA, UK, Germany, etc. Power generation: China - 5 million GWh for 1.3 Billion people, USA 4.2 for 300 million, Brazil -550,000 for 130 million, India – 1 Million for 1 Billion, Nigeria – measly 24, 000 for 150 million. Countries such as Peru, Syria etc with fractions of Nigeria’s population generate more power than Nigeria

5. Qian Xuesen was, prior to Operation Paperclip, one of the founders of the Jet Propulsion laboratory. German science helped with Rocket development but there is more to a Space program than just developing the rocket. After all, the V-2 built by the Germans was only used to attack enemies. Who did the Japanese, Iranians, Isrealis, Indians steal technology from to develop their Space programs?

6. All those nations are so far ahead of Nigeria in almost EVERY human endeavour. Let us look at the rankings of the dimensions of the Human Development Index – Life expectancy, education, and standard of living. Isreal - 16, Ghana - 135, India - 136, Iran - 76, Brazil - 85, China - 101, Nigeria – 153. Nigeria is the lowest of all OPEC countries; even lower than Angola that was involved in a civil war for 27 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

7. I hope Nigeria gets to that stage one day as well but I prefer Nigeria addresses the BASIC needs of its citizens first – Good infrastructure, schools, health, etc. I would love Nigeria to move up in all kinds of rankings especially the Human Development Index. I would love Nigeria to be higher than countries such as Fiji, Solomon Islands, Samoa, Sao Tome, etc. It is patently foolish to be chasing programs that don’t benefit a majority of citizens. Nigerians want to eat, Nigerians shouldn’t be dying in high numbers on roads, in the air, etc. For crying out loud, young women are dying at child birth in high numbers.

2 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 4:26pm On Oct 14, 2013
iterator24:
Some slowpokes refuse to be enlightened.. this thread is not the first, yet retarrds keep surfacing.. I hate the fact that you're engaging him

This is your thread, you have contributed nothing more than insults. At least Alethia is trying to have debate and while I disagree with his position, I can agree with some of the points he has made. What more can you do other than opening a thread and insulting those who disagree with your topic?
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 14, 2013
Katsumoto:

This is your thread, you have contributed nothing more than insults. At least Alethia is trying to have debate and while I disagree with his position, I can agree with some of the points he has made. What more can you do other than opening a thread and insulting those who disagree with your topic?
no Dude, you just keep making a fool of yourself
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Iolo(m): 8:06pm On Oct 14, 2013
Katsumoto:

1. My point stands, no matter how commendable the efforts of the Nigerian engineers.

2. Those who go abroad do so only for status reasons? So the GEJ’s wife who spent several weeks abroad did so for status reasons? Suntai and Chime also spent several months abroad for status reasons? Thank you for admitting that PDP elected officials are wasting thousands of dollars on treatment that can be locally obtained and are in the process absent from their duties. What about Agagu’s son that had to be flown abroad for treatment? He did so for status reasons? What about the hundreds of Nigerians who have to raise funds each year to go to India for treatment? They are also doing so for status reasons? You sir are lying through your teeth. See article below; Nigerian Health sector is in such a wonderful state that Nigerian experts decided to waste 3 days talking about non-existent problems.
‘Why is the Nigerian health system in spite of the huge resources – human and material – that the nation could boast of still in a parlous state? Why is the nation plagued by a dearth of world-class medical centers? How can the health sector be revamped and become attractive for big players in the private sector? What steps should be taken to halt the brain-drain in the health sector and attract Nigerian physicians in the Diaspora back home? Should public office holders be barred from seeking medical help abroad as a way of forcing them to address the problem in the health sector? These were some of the questions raised by THISDAY with some Nigerian physicians residing in the Americas during a three-day scientific session in Las Vegas recently.’
http://anpa.org/blog/2012/08/07/the-problem-with-nigerias-health-sector-tokunbo-adedoja-of-thisday-magazine-interviews-anpa-members/

3. You continue to miss my point; I am not stating that Space programs are not required. I am merely stating that there are other priorities that SHOULD be attended to first. I asked you previously, of what use is information from a satellite if you don’t have the means to respond efficiently and adequately to the data?

4. Accidents are inevitable with air and road travel but like all risks, they have to be managed efficiently. Road fatalities per 100,000: USA – 10, India – 18, Brazil – 22, China – 18, Nigeria – 33. In the last decade, Nigeria has had more crashes than those countries put together despite Nigeria operating fewer flights. Chinese get treated in China, Brazilians get treated in Brazil, Indians get treated in India but Nigerians get treated in India, USA, UK, Germany, etc. Power generation: China - 5 million GWh for 1.3 Billion people, USA 4.2 for 300 million, Brazil -550,000 for 130 million, India – 1 Million for 1 Billion, Nigeria – measly 24, 000 for 150 million. Countries such as Peru, Syria etc with fractions of Nigeria’s population generate more power than Nigeria

5. Qian Xuesen was, prior to Operation Paperclip, one of the founders of the Jet Propulsion laboratory. German science helped with Rocket development but there is more to a Space program than just developing the rocket. After all, the V-2 built by the Germans was only used to attack enemies. Who did the Japanese, Iranians, Isrealis, Indians steal technology from to develop their Space programs?

6. All those nations are so far ahead of Nigeria in almost EVERY human endeavour. Let us look at the rankings of the dimensions of the Human Development Index – Life expectancy, education, and standard of living. Isreal - 16, Ghana - 135, India - 136, Iran - 76, Brazil - 85, China - 101, Nigeria – 153. Nigeria is the lowest of all OPEC countries; even lower than Angola that was involved in a civil war for 27 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

7. I hope Nigeria gets to that stage one day as well but I prefer Nigeria addresses the BASIC needs of its citizens first – Good infrastructure, schools, health, etc. I would love Nigeria to move up in all kinds of rankings especially the Human Development Index. I would love Nigeria to be higher than countries such as Fiji, Solomon Islands, Samoa, Sao Tome, etc. It is patently foolish to be chasing programs that don’t benefit a majority of citizens. Nigerians want to eat, Nigerians shouldn’t be dying in high numbers on roads, in the air, etc. For crying out loud, young women are dying at child birth in high numbers.

I think you should agree that your point is more of catch 22. Countries that develop use a multi threaded approach. You may have one or two areas or threads laggng behind (top notch health systems etc as you've mentioned ) but that's not to say that the space program is ill advsed or ill timed just because its being properly managed to get to the stage is it today.

Are you aware that without the space program Nigeria would still spend millions of dollars paying foreign countries to use their satellites / rent bandwidth ? Somehow somehow monies would still have been spent either on developing satellites or paying to gain access to geographic data / communication channels from other countries satellites

2 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by aletheia(m): 10:09pm On Oct 14, 2013
Katsumoto:

You accuse me of lying simply because I state what I consider to be fact. How will you feel if I return the compliment? I repeat my claim and I stand by it. Almost all the treatment that the people you are talking about are travelling abroad for can be gotten here in Nigeria. Agagu's son for example, as far as we know did not sustain any fractures, neither a head injury. In fact, news reports indicated he was quite well after the crash, so what was he being flown abroad for. Unlike you, I know exactly the state of Nigeria's health sector because I work in it and do not need any second-hand article to tell me about it. The truth is that most Nigerians and their leaders do not take care of their health and suffer from inferiority complex when it concerns the Nigerian health sector. A lot of the people going to India for instance are seriously being scammed out of their money by Indian hospitals. Where I work, we 've had to remedy on a number of occasions, mistakes made in Indian hospitals on patients who went there.

We at this time will not reach an agreement about the Nigerian space program so let us agree to disagree and move on. Thanks for your time.
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 12:14am On Oct 15, 2013
aletheia:

You accuse me of lying simply because I state what I consider to be fact. How will you feel if I return the compliment? I repeat my claim and I stand by it. Almost all the treatment that the people you are talking about are travelling abroad for can be gotten here in Nigeria. Agagu's son for example, as far as we know did not sustain any fractures, neither a head injury. In fact, news reports indicated he was quite well after the crash, so what was he being flown abroad for. Unlike you, I know exactly the state of Nigeria's health sector because I work in it and do not need any second-hand article to tell me about it. The truth is that most Nigerians and their leaders do not take care of their health and suffer from inferiority complex when it concerns the Nigerian health sector. A lot of the people going to India for instance are seriously being scammed out of their money by Indian hospitals. Where I work, we 've had to remedy on a number of occasions, mistakes made in Indian hospitals on patients who went there.

We at this time will not reach an agreement about the Nigerian space program so let us agree to disagree and move on. Thanks for your time.

YENAGOA— Miss Folakemi Akinbode, the National Youths Service Corps, NYSC member whose hand was almost chopped off in a brutal attack by suspected hoodlums in August at Okolobiri in the outskirt of Yenagoa, BayelsaState capital, has been flown abroad for further treatment by the state government.

Akinbode, a nurse attached to Niger Delta University Teaching Hospital, NDUTH, Okolobiri, was returning home from work when she was
attacked by the hoodlums.

She was flown to Italy last Tuesday by the state government for further treatment after undergoing two major surgeries in Nigeria

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/brutalised-nysc-member-sent-abroad/
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 12:15am On Oct 15, 2013
aletheia:

Following your logic, Suntai spent 10 months abroad for status reasons.

'Gov. Murtala Nyako of Adamawa on Monday visited ailing Gov. Danbaba Suntai of Taraba, who returned to Jalingo on Sunday after 10 months of medical treatment abroad.'

http://freedomonline.com.ng/gov-nyako-visits-suntai-prays-for-quick-recovery/
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 12:30am On Oct 15, 2013
aletheia:

'Daily Times has just been informed that the Enugu State Governor, Sullivan Chime has been flown abroad again following complications on his health condition.'

http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/breaking-news-enugu-governor-sullivan-chime-flown-abroad-again-medical-grounds
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 12:37am On Oct 15, 2013
aletheia:

Nigeria's health system is so great that its mortality rate is the 7th highest (from the back) in the world according to the OECD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_mortality_rate

infant mortality rate - Nigeria is in 175th position out of 188.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by Katsumoto: 1:15am On Oct 15, 2013
Education Index

Nigeria is ranked 145 in the world out of 181. Behind resourceless nations such as Jamaica, Sao Tome, Vietnam, Surinam, Fiji, etc.

Nigeria isn't trying to improve its ranking in the provision of basic services. What business does a country that can't have uninterrupted power supply, uninterrupted academic calendars, good healthcare, etc have undertaking a space program?
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by kmariko: 6:59am On Oct 15, 2013
@ Katsumoto

Based on the above stats ( dates would have been nice ) you allude to,,, where on the development index ( individual or group indices/index ) in your opinion should countries (individuals) be at before they embark on space programs or other "non worthy" programs.. should there be a cut off level,,, for example if the countries are below 50 they should never embark on such projects... What indices should countries use to know the projects that are actually worthwhile in your opinion.

thanks and have a great day
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by aletheia(m): 12:03pm On Oct 15, 2013
Katsumoto: Following your logic, Suntai spent 10 months abroad for status reasons.
'Gov. Murtala Nyako of Adamawa on Monday visited ailing Gov. Danbaba Suntai of Taraba, who returned to Jalingo on Sunday after 10 months of medical treatment abroad.'

http://freedomonline.com.ng/gov-nyako-visits-suntai-prays-for-quick-recovery/

Your serial posting of news articles only prove two things.
1. You are very ignorant about the capability of Nigerian doctors working in Nigeria and
2. Nigerians like to travel abroad for treatment at the drop of a hat especially when someone else is footing the bill. It does not address my claim that most of what they are traveling abroad for can be done in Nigeria.

Danbaba Suntai that travelled abroad came back fully fit? Right? The guy suffered a severe head injury. There are competent neurosurgeons working here in Nigeria that could have treated him with exactly the same outcomes as that obtained from his 10 month sojourn in the USA. In one of my earlier posts, did I not remind you of Idris Wada of Kogi, another governor involved in an accident, who was treated fully in Nigeria, despite urgings by his fellow politicians including even the president that he travel abroad for treatment. But of course you will develop selective amnesia to that fact since it does not suit your narrative.

Trying to use the state of Nigeria's health sector as an excuse for not developing an indigenous space program is an epic fail. You presume to comment on the state of Nigeria's health sector but you actually have no idea what the real problems are. Here is a hint: the problem with Nigeria's health sector is not an inability to do medical exams or perform transplants or carry out routine surgeries like appendectomies (which is what the governors travel abroad to do).

Even the Multinational company Shell extensively makes use of Nigerian doctors working in Nigerian Hospitals.
Re: What You Don't Know About Nigeria's Space Program by hercules07: 12:40pm On Oct 15, 2013
aletheia:

Your serial posting of news articles only prove two things.
1. You are very ignorant about the capability of Nigerian doctors working in Nigeria and
2. Nigerians like to travel abroad for treatment at the drop of a hat especially when someone else is footing the bill. It does not address my claim that most of what they are traveling abroad for can be done in Nigeria.

Danbaba Suntai that travelled abroad came back fully fit? Right? The guy suffered a severe head injury. There are competent neurosurgeons working here in Nigeria that could have treated him with exactly the same outcomes as that obtained from his 10 month sojourn in the USA. In one of my earlier posts, did I not remind you of Idris Wada of Kogi, another governor involved in an accident, who was treated fully in Nigeria, despite urgings by his fellow politicians including even the president that he travel abroad for treatment. But of course you will develop selective amnesia to that fact since it does not suit your narrative.

Trying to use the state of Nigeria's health sector as an excuse for not developing an indigenous space program is an epic fail. You presume to comment on the state of Nigeria's health sector but you actually have no idea what the real problems are. Here is a hint: the problem with Nigeria's health sector is not an inability to do medical exams or perform transplants or carry out routine surgeries like appendectomies (which is what the governors travel abroad to do).

Even the Multinational company Shell extensively makes use of Nigerian doctors working in Nigerian Hospitals.

I read where you said Nigerian scientists designed and built a satellite, abeg forget that one o, they were just onlookers at the British company, as far as i am concerned, the space program is a waste of time and money with the way it has been conceived, we are just dashing money to all those foreign companies.
The first thing the government is meant to do is overhaul the educational sector, unfortunately, the government can not even keep to its agreement with ASUU. I had the pleasure of observing the workers of the NARSDA at Lugbe for about a week, they are as lazy as anything, waiting for the DG to leave by 4pm before they all dash out of the complex.
A proper space program begins at the primary level, with a target of say 16 years to raise the scientists and engineers that will build and maintain it, by the way, what standard rocket have we designed, do we have any wind tunnels?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Buhari Appoints Youngest PA Ever, See Photo / I Will Kill Lots Of People If Kidnapper Evans Is Executed - Igbo Man (Pics) / A New Tribe Has Emerged! - Northern Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.