Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? (4716 Views)

My People I Need Advise On This Car Am Buying . / Photos: Are FRSC Officials Supposed To Beat Up A Citizen? / What Kind Of Car Am I Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Lexusgs430: 8:49am On Oct 17, 2013
Oya back to the matter, I would recommend a Toyota Rav 4 GX model (higher ground clearance ) Any variant over the 2003 vvti engine. Because earlier vvti models suffered from excessive engine oil usage, and eventually death of your engine .

NB: GX been the highest model
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 10:41am On Oct 17, 2013
Lexus and Lomo, I JƱڪτ̲̅ sat out and watched U guys fight it out. [No be me dey learn from the argument??] Anyway thanks for being mature and understanding. U guys actually fought like big boys.

Back to the matter. It seems Toyota cars have lots of factory engine problems because Lomo talked about Transmission and ECU problems and now Lexus is talking about excess oil usage which eventually leads to “Oga ur engine don knack ooh” and we all know what it means. What I want to know is, is it like a phenomenon for toyota in the sense “Nobody Complains” or does it come with usage and handling.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 10:42am On Oct 17, 2013
Lexusgs430: Oya back to the matter, I would recommend a Toyota Rav 4 GX model (higher ground clearance ) Any variant over the 2003 vvti engine. Because earlier vvti models suffered from excessive engine oil usage, and eventually death of your engine .

NB: GX been the highest model

Oga me abeg dey remember the amount wey I tell U say I hol. because I don't think this car is actually in my range. You can correct me if am wrong.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 10:50am On Oct 17, 2013
Victoriousvic: My suggestions for you based on your budget are:

1) 2000 Toyota Sienna
http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/sienna/2000/?sub=minivan

2) 2000 Honda CR-V
http://www.edmunds.com/honda/cr-v/2000/?sub=suv

3) 2002 Mazda Tribute
http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/tribute/2002/?sub=suv

4) 2002 Mazda MPV
http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mpv/2002/?sub=minivan

Sir Vic, of the lot I can only consider the CRV because the others have lots of space and that is one thing we don't need its JƱڪτ̲̅ me, my mum and my younger brother. But then coming to the CRV. I once asked a dealer about it and he adviced me to dodge it like a plague cos its prone to have axle problems. Though I don't know how true it is. U can enlighten me. I still owe U one bottle.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by 9icetoo(m): 1:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
he didn't come here to listen to our arguments about bimmers vs toyotas vs hondas. To each his own i'd say. I drive a camry and it has never failed me on my numerous journeys. From the list of cars so far and according to your budget, i would suggest the honda crv. its cheap to maintain and the parts are readily available. the workings of the car is straight forward too. being a newbie in automotive stuffs, u will need a car u can understand and learn its mechanisms easily and quickly. however make sure u check the vin and post the details of the vin here for the gurus to help you choose a problem-free car with decent mileage and good maintenance history. one piece of advice, do not buy an avalon just cos u like it, consider ur budget and how much u can afford to throw at the car should it need repairs. cos automobiles are machines and they sometimes break down even after we have done our best to prevent such. cheers amd good luck with your hunt.

1 Like

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by 9icetoo(m): 4:51pm On Oct 17, 2013
Double194: Lexus and Lomo, I JƱڪτ̲̅ sat out and watched U guys fight it out. [No be me dey learn from the argument??] Anyway thanks for being mature and understanding. U guys actually fought like big boys.

Back to the matter. It seems Toyota cars have lots of factory engine problems because Lomo talked about Transmission and ECU problems and now Lexus is talking about excess oil usage which eventually leads to “Oga ur engine don knack ooh” and we all know what it means. What I want to know is, is it like a phenomenon for toyota in the sense “Nobody Complains” or does it come with usage and handling.
Almost all car manufacturers have had to recall their cars to fix faults except mercedes i think. toytas have their issues as well as hondas and bimmers. the important thing to know is what the problem is and how to prevent it. these cars were made by humans who inherently are error prone. the reason why people actually buy toyotas is because of availability and price of parts. the parts are everywhere either brand new or tokunbo. Same applies to honda and to an extent now, bimmer. u can still source for these parts abroad. i still advocate for the honda crv though. have used it before and wasnt disappointed.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by 9icetoo(m): 4:51pm On Oct 17, 2013
Double194: Lexus and Lomo, I JƱڪτ̲̅ sat out and watched U guys fight it out. [No be me dey learn from the argument??] Anyway thanks for being mature and understanding. U guys actually fought like big boys.

Almost all car manufacturers have had to recall their cars to fix faults except mercedes i think. toytas have their issues as well as hondas and bimmers. the important thing to know is what the problem is and how to prevent it. these cars were made by humans who inherently are error prone. the reason why people actually buy toyotas is because of availability and price of parts. the parts are everywhere either brand new or tokunbo. Same applies to honda and to an extent now, bimmer. u can still source for these parts abroad. i still advocate for the honda crv though. have used it before and wasnt disappointed.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 7:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
9icetoo:
i still advocate for the honda crv though. have used it before and wasnt disappointed.

Thanks Mate, amma try ur advice, lemme talk to SmartChoice and  how it goes.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Oct 17, 2013
Double194:

Sir Vic, of the lot I can only consider the CRV because the others have lots of space and that is one thing we don't need its JƱڪτ̲̅ me, my mum and my younger brother. But then coming to the CRV. I once asked a dealer about it and he adviced me to dodge it like a plague cos its prone to have axle problems. Though I don't know how true it is. U can enlighten me. I still owe U one bottle.
To be honest, I do not know much about that. I haven't owned one, but I know of people who have satisfactorily used theirs without complaints. It is a good SUV, that I'm sure of.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 4:59am On Oct 18, 2013
Ikenna why are you hiding posts on this thread? If I want to sell a car or advertise one I know where to go...but I only responded to a specific request of someone with a quality good I have access to! I rarely sell cars on NL...am not pleased.

1 Like

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 18, 2013
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 18, 2013
Forget all this things. Buy ur Mum a 2002 Sienna. Dn't plz dn't think of goin the Avalon Way.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by earthrealm(m): 1:39pm On Oct 18, 2013
U SAID UR BUDGET IS 1.2M NAIRA...IT CANT BUY U A GOOD 01 TO 05 RAV4...THE BEST IT CAN GET IS THE OLD 96/97/or maybe 98 RAV4....ditto for crv...prolly 98/99 crv....based on ur budget get the 2000/2001 camry for her...chikena!

1 Like

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 2:01pm On Oct 18, 2013
smartchoice: Ikenna why are you hiding posts on this thread? If I want to sell a car or advertise one I know where to go...but I only responded to a specific request of someone with a quality good I have access to! I rarely sell cars on NL...am not pleased.

Ikenna what's ur beef with this thread?? Since I opened it, U have been lurking around like a predator. Pls don't give me sterotypical mod attitude, am not ur everyday Nairalander.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 2:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
smartchoice: @double check the crv here

https://www.nairaland.com/1482594/toks-honda-crv-sale-1.3million#18905909

I v seen it. But pls what am I supposed to do with the VIN. I told U am a novice so how am I supposed to use it??
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 2:03pm On Oct 18, 2013
Bossforeva: Forget all this things. Buy ur Mum a 2002 Sienna. Dn't plz dn't think of goin the Avalon Way.

I said it earlier, Sienna has a lot of space and that is what we don't need. Its JƱڪτ̲̅ me, my younger bro and mum. Shikenna.
I talked about ClLASS and comfort. Though Sienna is comfortable, It doesn't come across as classy.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 18, 2013
Double194:

I said it earlier, Sienna has a lot of space and that is what we don't need. Its JƱڪτ̲̅ me, my younger bro and mum. Shikenna.
I talked about ClLASS and comfort. Though Sienna is comfortable, It doesn't come across as classy.
O.K go for 2003 Corrola S
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by oweniwe(m): 3:55pm On Oct 18, 2013
2002/2003 Toyota Sienna . . That car's rugged . .
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by earthrealm(m): 4:20pm On Oct 18, 2013
that na grand papa car!!.......OP has already said they dont it........that sh,it aint classy..1 bit!!
oweniwe: 2002/2003 Toyota Sienna . . That car's rugged . .

1 Like

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Ikenna351(m): 5:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
Double194:

Ikenna what's ur beef with this thread?? Since I opened it, U have been lurking around like a predator. Pls don't give me sterotypical mod attitude, am not ur everyday Nairalander.

If you direct this your juvenile crap at me next time on this thread, I will go back and treat your previous offence in this thread as should have been treated.

This section forbids any form of sales, advert or promotion. Yet, you and smartchoice started sales transaction in this thread. I was kind of enough to hid those posts and this is what I got from you.

I know what it cost me to view all threads, including topics am not interested in, just to maintain sanity in the section by removing scam posts, spams, adverts, etc, but all you have to say here is "U have been lurking around like a predator". What a lucky guy you are!

If you are familiar with Car Talk rules, https://www.nairaland.com/1025988/not-post-sales-adverts-car

Next time, I will take it seriously.

Moderator.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 6:15pm On Oct 18, 2013
Ikenna351:

Next time, I will take it seriously.

My brother don't shit ur pants there will be no next time. I have never been and will not be intrested in cars. JƱڪτ̲̅ came to seek advice and SmartChoice offered to give real help. We didn't categorically talk price so officially there was no sales/transaction. I don't  what's wrong bout that.

Btw what were U thinking, talking bout treating my previous offences?? Na people wey no get life dey beg for ban. I don't care on bit.

1 Like

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by FirstOfficer: 9:17pm On Oct 18, 2013
Guys, please this topic is very interesting. The points raised here are not just for the OP, it is for everybody. Hope this is not the end of this discussion. smiley
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Oct 18, 2013
O.P Go for the 2003 Toyota Corolla Since it got more class, fuel economy and all that. Buh if she wants sth with a higher ground clearance why not go for the 2002 Rav4 like many people here suggested. Meanwhile, i doubt whether your budget will get you a good Matrix let alone the Rav4. Add a lil bit to your budget to be on a safer side.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 1:12am On Oct 19, 2013
Bossforeva: O.P Go for the 2003 Toyota Corolla Since it got more class, fuel economy and all that. Buh if she wants sth with a higher ground clearance why not go for the 2002 Rav4 like many people here suggested. Meanwhile, i doubt whether your budget will get you a good Matrix let alone the Rav4. Add a lil bit to your budget to be on a safer side.

Pls how much should I be looking at, I have money earmarked for something else. I don't know if its worth it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Go For 2009 Or 10 Volkswagen Passat CC. Advice Please / 2006 Honda City Transmission Vibration While Trying To Move / Please I Need Opinions On 2001 Honda Civic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.