Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Project Management - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Project Management (28962 Views)

How Relevant Is Project Management Certificate In Nigeria / How Does Enterprise Risk Management Apply To Project Management? / Project Management Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Project Management by Nobody: 3:42am On Dec 18, 2007
hi kashif,
this is bayo. i took the fast track training in project management organised by PM college in lagos. it is no doube t that prince 2 is de-facto for the UK. please kindly send me rpince2 manual. i hope to write the exams in january and how do i go about the registeration, payment eventually write the exams. i have tried to find an ATO but found none. my email address is kinetic_21@yahoo.com or Adebayo.olumodeji@virginnigeria.com
thanx. Bayo 08033584948. cheers.
Re: Project Management by Kashif(m): 7:58am On Dec 18, 2007
femilangy,

i dont know much about PRINCE2. I think Modu is more positioned to help you out on that.

Regards.
Re: Project Management by modu: 5:41pm On Dec 19, 2007
hi Bayo,

You need to buy the prince2 manual, not sure you can get it for free anyway. It is the APMG approved reading/reference document, to pass the exams.

I ( Utmost consulting) can arrange for the exams for you. you have a choice of an exam center in Ghana or the British consulate office, Lagos. Can you drop me an email (enquiries@utmostconsulting.com) with you details and I can send you the cost details.

Also, be aware that it may take up to 6-8weeks for a exam date to be arrange at the British consulate in Lagos. I guess you know that the foundation exams come first. It is not easy cancelling the exams, so you need to be sure of when you will be ready to take the exams before booking

Goodluck
Re: Project Management by meta4(m): 4:34am On Dec 28, 2007
hello house,
please i want to do a professional course and i'm thinking of project management, i read civil engineering. i'll like to know how to get started and how to enrol for it. what institution, location and if possible the fees and duration for that.
i look forward to a response cos i want to start off with the new year
thanks
Re: Project Management by oscartawn1: 5:22pm On Feb 13, 2008
This is a very informative forum. I got to know about PMP through this forum and it has really been interesting following the various comments especially those of ulohomono (Sorry if i didn't get the spelling right).

I am currently preparing and hope to take the PMP exams in April, and like has been said before; all necessary info is available on the PMI website. I encourage folks to visit the website (www.pmi.org) and be determined to follow the right procedures already laid down. Lets be determined to become professional project managers and manage our projects as professionals. There's a deep vacuum for such professionals right now in Nigeria! If we commit to this cause, that will soon change and we will have a better Nigeria, and better pay for sure!

I'd would like to know if there's any forum for those preparing for the PMP exams. Any?
Re: Project Management by Kashif(m): 3:09pm On Feb 18, 2008
@oscartawn,

I think I saw a thread like that but if you start a new one, I am almost certain many prospective professionals will be interested. Have you attended the preparatory training?  wink
Re: Project Management by oscartawn1: 5:17pm On Feb 18, 2008
Kashif,
Thanks. I have tried searching that out without success. But let me go with your advice and see what comes up.

I have a training scheduled by one of the R.E.Ps (Procepts) in March. Although I do not know the quality/content of their training right now, but i'm willing to take the risk. If there's any trusted trainer you can recommend I'd appreciate it.
Re: Project Management by Sunnyp: 6:08pm On Feb 18, 2008
Well i believe Microsoft project is very easy to use and when you understand the basic principle it will give u what u want which will also be the same if you use Primavera open plan , any other methods even manual u will get the same result.

I have being using it in the oil and gas and it is working well for me.

So if u have any problem in the softwares i can put u through if possible.
Re: Project Management by Kashif(m): 12:44pm On Feb 19, 2008
Oscartawn,
Procepts should be ok because give or take, the training should expose you to the 44 prcesses involved in using the PMI methodology. It should not be risky because no matter where you train, you will still need to study very extensively before you close the knowledge gap required for you to take the exam. PMP credential is rigorous and MUST be understood properly. Even if you train at PMI and sit for the exam the following day, you are sure to fail! shocked

The most important thing is for you to make sure you understand the process; not necessarily being expected to regurgitate acronyms and inputs/outputs. During your training, please make sure you know in which process (Initiating, Planning, Execution, Monitoring & Control, and Closing) you are. Get these and your problems are half solved!

I will advise you to have a mentor (a PMP) to provide you guidance and coaching while you prepare. It is best to have your trainer stand in here so you can have a relationship and open communication. Dont rush to take the exam please because many failed because when they thought they were ready, they were really not. Dont use cheap simulations/sample questions as they create false confidence.

I will be available to render you assistance in any way I can. wink

@Sunnyp, Project Management has nothing to do with softwares. Look at it like this - you must know what to write before you start looking for paper and pen. MS Project does not plan your project for you; it only helps you to sequence, track tasks and resources. It does not do quality, risk, procurement, cost, and all the analysis and management for you! You should be able to plan and manage your project on paper before you can move some of them to the software application. The truth is that you can be an authority in PM without any knowledge of PM software. I hope this helps in clearing things.

Regards to all.
Re: Project Management by muchmoney: 6:37pm On Feb 19, 2008
@ Kashif

WORD wink
Re: Project Management by BLINGLAJ: 11:36am On Mar 03, 2008
hi guys i am really confused and just wondering if anyone can help me out. is project management suitable for anyone in the accounting field as i am acca part qualified and have been told that with project management ccreditation i can work as a project accountant pls i need your help on this. :d
Re: Project Management by Kashif(m): 3:56pm On Mar 03, 2008
BLINGLAJ:

hi guys i am really confused and just wondering if anyone can help me out. is project management suitable for anyone in the accounting field as i am acca part qualified and have been told that with project management ccreditation i can work as a project accountant please i need your help on this. :d

Project management involves much more than project accounting. Absolutely, you dont need PM accreditation/credential to be a project accountant because they are two different things. PMgt involves planning/directing/executing/managing projects so a supposed project accountant should work with the direction of the PMger. PMgt is career neutral so you can go into it provided some level of technicality sits well with you but, please know that accounting and PMgt might not readily recognise each other in the dark.

I advise you follow up and finish your ACCA first before going into PM. cool

I hope this helps.
Re: Project Management by hahaha2(m): 4:02am On Mar 04, 2008
BIG UPS to kashif, Modu and uholomolo(hope i got that rite).

they say knowledge is power
and with great power comes great responsibility
its just great to c u guys standing up to that responsibility.

I would like to get u guys expert advice though, am going for my masters in Europe and am aiming to use a project management certification to hold down a job on the side while am there, and it seems PRINCE 2 is more widely accepted in the EU. So am thinkin should i take PRINCE 2 or PMP.
Will really appreciate any helpful advice.
May long term aim is to be an ERP project manager by trade, and maybe handle projects unrealted to Erp on the side.
Re: Project Management by BLINGLAJ: 10:30am On Mar 10, 2008
thanks kashif for your response,by d way do you know anything bout business analysis
Re: Project Management by Kashif(m): 11:08am On Mar 10, 2008
BLINGLAJ:

thanks kashif for your response

Welcome.

BLINGLAJ:

by d way do you know anything bout business analysis

I don't know much about that; I am more at home with PM wink
Re: Project Management by ProjectMgr: 2:21pm On Aug 03, 2008
PROJECT MANAGEMENT COLLEGE UK STORMS NIGERIA!!!

Project Management skills affords you the opportunity to become more effective and efficient in your job particularly in the area of delivering to time, quality and budget.

Having trained 785 Nigerians in the last 15 months alone, we have had a range of professionals such as Engineers [Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical e.t.c], Medical Doctors, Bankers, Insurers and Accountants to name a few, take our Executive Master’s Certificate [EMC] programme. We have also found that our EMC graduates have subsequently gotten jobs in the Project Management hierarchy or have been promoted to Team Leader /Manager roles within their current disciplines.

The opportunities within project management are huge and varied as there are different options within this profession. The entry level being Project Administrator and other roles include, Project Planner, Project Coordinator, Project Accountant and of course Project Manager.

Having completed our programme, several of the Graduates have acquired the PRINCE 2 Foundation and Practitioner certification, PM Certification and the envied HSMP visa to work without restrictions in the UK. HSMP = Highly Skilled Migrant Programme.

This is to confirm it is not too late to take our Executive Master’s Certificate programme at a discounted fee of £399 [was £1200] over just 2 weekends or 4 consecutive weekdays, Monday – Thursday !

Dates for Lagos Learning Centre:-
• 2 weekends i.e. 16th, 17th, 23rd and 24th August 2008
Venue: The British Innovation Centre [BIC], Western House, Broad Street, Lagos Nigeria

Dates for Abuja Learning Centre:-
Venue: Conference Room 1, Rockview Hotel, Abuja Nigeria

Dates for Port Harcourt Learning Centre:-
Venue: Ekere Hall, Novotel Hotel, 3 Stadium Road, Rumuomasi, Port Harcourt,  Rivers State, Nigeria

* The Executive Master's Certificate Programme covers general project management modules, PRINCE2  methodologies and MS Project 2003 and you will be issued a certificate on completion.

One of our Senior Course Advisors would be pleased to speak to you if you visit either of our offices at:-
LAGOS OFFICE PORT HARCOURT / ABUJA No.s
Innovation Suite, 10th Floor, Western House.
8/10 Broad Street Lagos. Nigeria
or call: + 234 1 891 5140 or 1 891 5530
or 1 764 3777 or 1 766 1616

E-mail: nigeria@pmcollege.co.uk 

Tel:  0702 8033470 or 0702 8033471

E-mail: abuja@pmcollege.co.uk or portharcourt@pmcollege.co.uk

Several working professionals from Abuja, Port Harcourt, Ibadan, Abeokuta  and Kano attended the course in Lagos and Abuja as it is run over 2 weekends i.e. 2 Saturdays and 2 Sundays.

Regarding payment, please click here for the official college payment slip which you can use at any Zenith Bank in Nigeria. The exchange rate is #260 to £1; please send us a scanned copy of your payment slip via email to mypayment@pmcollege.co.uk once you have paid.

Please note our discounted offer of £399 per course will end imminently and we cannot be liable if you apply after the promo has been withdrawn. Once the promo is cancelled, the new fee of £699 will apply.

To apply for a course, click here

Regards,
Cassandra Vicarage
From April 2007 to date alone,
a total of 785 Nigerians have completed our project management programme,   What are you waiting for?
Re: Project Management by ekorick(m): 8:59am On Aug 06, 2008
TORQUAY GLOBAL SOLUTIONS LIMITED.
stay ahead of the pack.
differentiate yourself.
acquire world class skills for superior performance in every sphere of life.

Train at Torquay Global Solutions Limited.
-Free study pack.
-Condusive learning environment.
-Lunch
-Good study and social networking amongst students.

COURSES ON OFFER:
-PMP/CAPM CERTIFICATION TRAINING.
-Ms PROJECT TRAINING
-CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS.

email: rickeko@yahoo.com.
Re: Project Management by elebiola(m): 2:27am On Aug 07, 2008
kashif,
I took alot of time to read your views on PM and Prince 2. I have sent you a mail requesting for both the prince 2 and the PMBok. Please i do hope you send them to me. As i could deduce this topic as been on for a while but coming into 2008 the response as been abit less. I would want to know the possibility of studying and taking the examinations alone which would take a lesser time or going through the various bodies offering the training on weekend basis only. Please get back to me with your view. Thanks, my email el_bwale@yahoo.com
Re: Project Management by Kashif(m): 11:11am On Aug 08, 2008
Sorry luv, I am no longer able to send those materials; against the law. Please note that you are mandated to have at least, 35hr PM training before writing the PMP exam.

The thread was relegated hence, sinking into oblivion grin

I have responded to your mail. Cheers.
Re: Project Management by okeyz(m): 3:46pm On Aug 08, 2008
hi kashif thanks for the assistance you giving as regards the PMP handbook
please can you send me the pmbok too,my addy is okeyz2002@yahoo.com and ekwokey2002@gmail.com.
thanks in advance.
also i intend going to pmp academy at ajao for my pmp training ,have u heard of them?if so are they good?
please reply me thru my email.
thanks
Re: Project Management by ozomagala: 7:22pm On Aug 08, 2008
please fill me in.
Re: Project Management by vitamin(f): 12:20am On Aug 12, 2008
@ kashif please I need some advice; I took the EMC class with Project management college, UK and the course content include general project management methodologies, PRINCE 2 and MS project and the certificate I'll be getting is the school's and I'm thinking of taking the PRINCE 2 foundation exam so I can get the Institute's own certificate, but is it really necessary is wot I want to know. Your response would be highly appreciated. NB: Please where can one get project management experience for a budding PM myself who is a fresh graduate?

Thanx in advance!
Re: Project Management by abijawara: 4:32pm On Aug 15, 2008
You can join ACM.org. It is like $150 and you have access to loads of classes for PMP, CaPM, MCSE etc through the membership.
These classes can be taken at your own pace. So you wont have to spend the hundreds of thousands of Naira preparing for the exams.
Re: Project Management by Kashif(m): 6:39pm On Aug 15, 2008
abijawara:

You can join ACM.org. It is like $150 and you have access to loads of classes for PMP, CaPM, MCSE etc through the membership.
These classes can be taken at your own pace. So you wont have to spend the hundreds of thousands of Naira preparing for the exams.

Did what you post work for you? Are you certified? I dont think what you are saying is in consonance with PMI's standards.
Re: Project Management by hoodboi1(m): 4:06pm On Aug 17, 2008
I am a student and about to enter into FUTO to study PMT.Pls can anyone enlighten me on PMI and Prince2.tanx.
Re: Project Management by abijawara: 5:50pm On Aug 20, 2008
Kashif:

Did what you post work for you? Are you certified? I don't think what you are saying is in consonance with PMI's standards.

It worked for me. There is no PMI standard against such training. The PMI education requirement is that you have 35hrs of training. Your Bachelors degree counts towards that. And such training also counts towards it.
Re: Project Management by enidamsel: 9:03pm On Aug 21, 2008
i got helped by subscribing for JK Michaels Project management tips of the day and weekly newsletter. at www.jkmichaelspm.com. i will also recommend their excellent and adequate training in project management and also the way they assist in passing the PMP Exams. They wonderful.
Re: Project Management by ulohomuno: 2:41pm On Jan 02, 2009
Hello All,

quiet a long time we have a discussion on this thread. just to share practical tips on project management

Mid-way through your project the best vendor selected after due diligence abandons the project. What do you do? This article which based on lesson learned explains how to manage the Reserved Vendor as a major project stakeholder and not just a spare needed only when a crisis occurs.

[url=http://Managing Your "Reserved" Vendor as a Project Stakeholder]Managing Your "Reserved" Vendor as a Project Stakeholder [/url]
http://www.esi-intl.com/public/library/html/200810HorizonsArticle1.asp
Re: Project Management by cola: 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2009
BIG UPS to kashif, Modu and uholomolo(hope i got that rite).

they say knowledge is power
and with great power comes great responsibility
its just great to c u guys standing up to that responsibility.

I would like to get u guys expert advice though, am going for my masters in Europe and am aiming to use a project management certification to hold down a job on the side while am there, and it seems PRINCE 2 is more widely accepted in the EU. So am thinkin should i take PRINCE 2 or PMP.
Will really appreciate any helpful advice.
May long term aim is to be an ERP project manager by trade, and maybe handle projects unrealted to Erp on the side.

someone answer this please
Re: Project Management by aiijay: 6:49pm On Feb 05, 2009
you can get in touch with Terry, Max & Associates. they have certified trainers in PMP and Prince2 and they are not expensive. you can get them on 07028201905.
Re: Project Management by aiijay: 6:55pm On Feb 05, 2009
forgot to say--------- I work as project manger in a major ICT company. i could give assistance where necessary.
Re: Project Management by ikestarr: 12:08pm On Feb 09, 2009
hi KASHIF, could you do me a favour and send me the PRINCE2 manual as well i would be most grateful my email is ikstarr@yahoo.com
thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

About Relocating To Nigeria From The United States / Mtn Salary For Fresher / Professional Masters Or Academic Masters?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.