Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders - Health (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders (30301 Views)

Help! I Am Suffering From Depression / Thread For Those Suffering From Insomnia?... / Help/remedies For Those Suffering From Hyperhidrosis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 7:35pm On Nov 25, 2013
depressionkills:

Dude count your blessing. A supporting family is wealth, I tell you. I wont say that my parenst are not totally supportive since they do give me money embarassed but they, my mother especially always reminds me that it comes with a price. This is also something that brings me down, teh fact that I depend financially on others people is sooooo shameful, especially at my age, I hoped better things for myslef. I feel as if I have totally failed.

The road to recovery is not that easy . I do want to be free but I know that fr one step forward, I will take two step backwards and it is hard and demanding emotionally and physically and I must admit that sometimes I just want to give up.
Sad. But if i may ask, what's next? What do you wanna do next?
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 7:38pm On Nov 25, 2013
@Depressionkills. Dont give up. Ok? What you need is someone to guide you through the recovery process. You need to be constantly reminded that you're not alone. That everything will be fine. What about friends. You havnt mentioned any yet. Plus you mum should be made to realise that your dependence on her will not be forever. Perhaps she feels you are abit to relaxed and making litle or no effort at being independent.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 7:42pm On Nov 25, 2013
bettermike: Sad. But if i may ask, what's next? What do you wanna do next?
I hope to graduate this year.
Then try and perfect my art. I have a lots of dreams but i am often embarrassed to share them especially with many Africans who only value money embarassed
I would like to learn eco design and stuff like that . I am already learning permaculture. I have a passion for ecology and architecture and design. My hope is to bring social justice and ecology to Africa. My parents just laugh it off and tell me that they have wasted their money on my education for me to chose a career like that undecided

But yeah, I firmly believe that Africa is the future and I want to be part of the movement cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 7:48pm On Nov 25, 2013
bettermike: @Depressionkills. Dont give up. Ok? What you need is someone to guide you through the recovery process. You need to be constantly reminded that you're not alone. That everything will be fine. What about friends. You havnt mentioned any yet.

Thanks \(^_^)/ *HUG*
Well I have no friend undecided I used to have few but because of my depression and my fear of outside, I started isolating myself, not returning phone calls and that. It si not because I ma rude and dont care about others it is simply that sometimes I just want to shut down. I dont know if you can understand. I just want to curl up on myself and protect myself from the world. Well many of my relatives mistake that for rudeness. Especially my family is very keen on traditions and respect of the elders and stuff. When I dont call my aunts, they would think that I am disrespecting thme and start badmouthing me. I tried to explain, But the all think that i am a spoilt brat rude brat anyways so.

Also my parents are VERY VERY CONTROLLING. That is why I wanted to be independent from them. They actually like to have me on a tight leash so I can do whatever they want. They still speak to me as if I was 5.
I wanted to study design since I was a kid THEY FORCED TO STUDY BUSINESS MANAGEMENT AND FIANCE because they were the ones paying for it. Now I am stuck and have no motivation to finish. They woudl like me to have high paying jobs like bankers but I dont want taht kind of life, hell no!!

I dont knwo if you have read the thread about banker's life, that kind of life would just kill me
https://www.nairaland.com/1503583/ex-bankers-how-life-outside-banking
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 7:57pm On Nov 25, 2013
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 8:24pm On Nov 25, 2013
depressionkills:

Thanks \(^_^)/ *HUG*
Well I have no friend undecided I used to have few but because of my depression and my fear of outside, I started isolating myself, not returning phone calls and that. It si not because I ma rude and dont care about others it is simply that sometimes I just want to shut down. I dont know if you can understand. I just want to curl up on myself and protect myself from the world. Well many of my relatives mistake that for rudeness. Especially my family is very keen on traditions and respect of the elders and stuff. When I dont call my aunts, they would think that I am disrespecting thme and start badmouthing me. I tried to explain, But the all think that i am a spoilt brat rude brat anyways so.

Also my parents are VERY VERY CONTROLLING. That is why I wanted to be independent from them. They actually like to have me on a tight leash so I can do whatever they want. They still speak to me as if I was 5.
I wanted to study design since I was a kid THEY FORCED TO STUDY BUSINESS MANAGEMENT AND FIANCE because they were the ones paying for it. Now I am stuck and have no motivation to finish. They woudl like me to have high paying jobs like bankers but I dont want taht kind of life, hell no!!

I dont knwo if you have read the thread about banker's life, that kind of life would just kill me
https://www.nairaland.com/1503583/ex-bankers-how-life-outside-banking
*HUGS BACK* I understand. Now listen to me. I SEE YOUR FEARS. Its tough when no one truely listens and those that do, do it because its their job. Emm...as you can see, we've taken one HUGE step forward right now. You're expressing yourself and thats a BRAVE feat. Believe me, in no time, you'll be the up and running again with all the motivation at your disposal. Now, JUST ONE MORE STEP FORWARD. K? EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE Again. I'll be back in about 3hrs.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 8:41pm On Nov 25, 2013
bettermike: *HUGS BACK* I understand. Now listen to me. I SEE YOUR FEARS. Its tough when no one truely listens and those that do, do it because its their job. Emm...as you can see, we've taken one HUGE step forward right now. You're expressing yourself and thats a BRAVE feat. Believe me, in no time, you'll be the up and running again with all the motivation at your disposal. Now, JUST ONE MORE STEP FORWARD. K? EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE Again. I'll be back in about 3hrs.
k wink
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 11:56pm On Nov 25, 2013
depressionkills:
k wink
*sighs* I see there are a whole lot of issues confronting you at the moment. I want to say much but sleep is getting the better of me right now. So, what we'll do is take on each of the issues one after the other from tomorrow. E.g. Common destiny with uncle, protecting self from the world, dreams and reality, shame resulting from depending on others financially, handling others' opinion and many more. But first, we'll have to dig further into the past (how exactly the depression started) before we will be able to chart a turbulence-free strategy for you. In the meantime, WORRY LESS. K? I'll be here tomorrow.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Nobody: 2:00am On Nov 26, 2013
depressionkills:
I hope to graduate this year.
Then try and perfect my art. I have a lots of dreams but i am often embarrassed to share them especially with many Africans who only value money embarassed
I would like to learn eco design and stuff like that . I am already learning permaculture. I have a passion for ecology and architecture and design. My hope is to bring social justice and ecology to Africa. My parents just laugh it off and tell me that they have wasted their money on my education for me to chose a career like that undecided

But yeah, I firmly believe that Africa is the future and I want to be part of the movement cheesy
@bold Same here.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Mckayzee(m): 7:26am On Nov 26, 2013
See?!!! I knew better mike would steal the show atlast, everything the dude's been saying is just on point,he clearly has my stance on this whole ish,standing up and facing it head on instead of shying away and seeking sympathy is just the IN thing.... Trust me, @depressionkills and co, y'all would be fine if you could follow what bettermike's got to say in the long run...

Ps
I have a girl that's suffering from this same issue and was diagnosed for manic depression by a doctor(don.t know if the doctor's quack though) cos i googled it and stumbled on a site where you'd be asked questions and you'd get result that would show if you're merely suffering from normal depression or from bipolar(manic) depression, told her to answer the questions, and the result said she's suffering from mere everyday depression...anyways, i.ve just be wondering on how i could help, though for some reasons, i'm beginning to think she deliberately gets herself sad, cause she worries about even the 'silliest' of things, hence why i'm here!
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 11:40am On Nov 26, 2013
Mckayzee: See?!!! I knew better mike would steal the show atlast, everything the dude's been saying is just on point,he clearly has my stance on this whole ish,standing up and facing it head on instead of shying away and seeking sympathy is just the IN thing.... Trust me, @depressionkills and co, y'all would be fine if you could follow what bettermike's got to say in the long run...

Ps
I have a girl that's suffering from this same issue and was diagnosed for manic depression by a doctor(don.t know if the doctor's quack though) cos i googled it and stumbled on a site where you'd be asked questions and you'd get result that would show if you're merely suffering from normal depression or from bipolar(manic) depression, told her to answer the questions, and the result said she's suffering from mere everyday depression...anyways, i.ve just be wondering on how i could help, though for some reasons, i'm beginning to think she deliberately gets herself sad, cause she worries about even the 'silliest' of things, hence why i'm here!
Oh, am flattered. Thats my point exactly. No more playing victim. Face the issue head-on! Life is tough for everyone already. LIFE IS TOUGH ALREADY. Spend too much time feeling sorry and you might just get left behind. Sorry to hear about your girl. Its painful that alot of us just want to keep being sad and laidback.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 12:04pm On Nov 26, 2013
Its getting harder to come here. The sadness, its starting to get to me. Please understand that i dont want to ever experience depression again. Hey Depressionkills, you seem to have been getting the same remarks from everyone in past (playing victim). Also, you need to stop taking things too personal on nairaland. Plus, please please please, quit defending african women. I think you have a lot of right info (enough to free your depression) at your disposal. What you need to do is TAKE ACTION. Remember, my style isnt a soft one. It'll be better not to take offense.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Tbken: 12:52pm On Nov 26, 2013
depressionkills:

I am here, hello smiley
wellcome back!!! Two people can never be the same..they might have similarity buh then difference will be there...You will not end like ur uncle and stop putting ur self in his shoes...he is now past dont ever let the past to blur the future...The fact that you have the knowledge of how he ended should be used by you as a forwarn not to end same way...
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 2:03pm On Nov 26, 2013
Mckayzee: See?!!! I knew better mike would steal the show atlast, everything the dude's been saying is just on point,he clearly has my stance on this whole ish,standing up and facing it head on instead of shying away and seeking sympathy is just the IN thing.... Trust me, @depressionkills and co, y'all would be fine if you could follow what bettermike's got to say in the long run...

Ps

I will tell you something that I have said to Mike:
First of all both of you are extremely ignorant about mental illness. This is not an insult but it something that shows through how you talk about it. Depression is NOT about sadness. DEPRESSION IS NOT ABOUT SADNESS. i WILL SAY IT AGAIN, depression is not about sadness. I AM NOT SAD. I am depressed. My moods fluctuate, I get caught in deep angst, I am pessimistic, I panic but I am not sad. If any of you understand what depression is, and keep on disregard what MANY have said on this thread about their experience, of what value is your opinion? None.
Secondly you cannot help or claim to want to help anyone if you constantly belittle their pain and disregard their experience. The literature is out there. I posted videos about depression and anxiety. I posted brain scans of a depressed brain versus a healthy brain. What both of you are saying is the same inconsiderate and insensitive gargle that many spread in Africa about how depressed people are not really ill, they just need to pull themselves by the bootstraps, this nonsense KILL PEOPLE!! None of your claims are knowledge-based, they are simply from the stand point of someone who claims to know but constantly rebukes the mountain of evidence of people's experience and hard proven scientific facts. You can not understand a disease of the brain if you have never been in that state.
If you want to help your girlfriend, why are you doubting her? Why would you doubt the diagnostic of a DOCTOR over some internet questionnaire? Why would you think that she willingly try to make herself sick and be in pain??

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 2:04pm On Nov 26, 2013
bettermike: Oh, am flattered. Thats my point exactly. No more playing victim. Face the issue head-on! Life is tough for everyone already. LIFE IS TOUGH ALREADY. Spend too much time feeling sorry and you might just get left behind. Sorry to hear about your girl. Its painful that alot of us just want to keep being sad and laidback.

bettermike: Its getting harder to come here. The sadness, its starting to get to me. Please understand that i dont want to ever experience depression again. Hey Depressionkills, you seem to have been getting the same remarks from everyone in past (playing victim). Also, you need to stop taking things too personal on nairaland. Plus, please please please, quit defending african women. I think you have a lot of right info (enough to free your depression) at your disposal. What you need to do is TAKE ACTION. Remember, my style isnt a soft one. It'll be better not to take offense.

All of this is grossly insensitive of you angry
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 2:09pm On Nov 26, 2013
Tbken: wellcome back!!! Two people can never be the same..they might have similarity buh then difference will be there...You will not end like ur uncle and stop putting ur self in his shoes...he is now past dont ever let the past to blur the future...The fact that you have the knowledge of how he ended should be used by you as a forwarn not to end same way...

Thanks a lot
I try my best to stay off any drugs or even alcohol because of that. I dont drink, smoking pot disgust me, but I am not judging people who do. This is also why I am an advocate of people who develop addiction because many of them use it as a coping mechanism to escape their issues and get caught up. I am terrified of developing some substance abuse but I think I am addicted to the internet though undecided
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 2:10pm On Nov 26, 2013
Big.game:
@bold Same here.

wink
Does your family try to discourage you too?
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:23pm On Nov 26, 2013
Reporting for duty
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Tbken: 3:08pm On Nov 26, 2013
depressionkills:

Thanks a lot
I try my best to stay off any drugs or even alcohol because of that. I dont drink, smoking pot disgust me, but I am not judging people who do. This is also why I am an advocate of people who develop addiction because many of them use it as a coping mechanism to escape their issues and get caught up. I am terrified of developing some substance abuse but I think I am addicted to the internet though undecided
drugs and alcohol will not and can neva be the answer..abstain from it,it has a bad mighty negative effect...for the internet itz not that bad..just that u shudnt allow it to obstruct you from doing what you suppose to do...and dont live an e-life...internet is good,it drives out boredom,i m an addict too
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 5:23pm On Nov 26, 2013
depressionkills:

All of this is grossly insensitive of you angry
I asked you not to take offence. Whats wrong with you?
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 5:29pm On Nov 26, 2013
DEPRESSION IS AN EFFECT OF A PRESSING PROBLEM. IT IS NOT A CAUSE. It is simply a diminished brain chemical function that persists for a prolonged period of time. The most likely thing to cause a major depression IS NOT YOUR GENES but the chronic stress that is not managed and leads to depressed brain chemistry; especially DEPLETION OF SEROTONIN. Stay with me.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 5:40pm On Nov 26, 2013
A recent PT posting by
Azadeh Aalai shares this view of depression as "the
common cold" of mental health, adding that the prevalence rates of depression have been rising steadily over the past century. That post summarized 5 myths about depression
The first of these myths was the mistaken notion that depression stems from a "chemical inbalance."
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 5:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
By contrast, the writers of an article on the triggers of depression, in the most recent issue of Scientific American, lacked Aalia's insight. While the article did specify that life event such as loss of an important relationship or a desired job can trigger depression, they appeared to be trapped in the myth that depression is largely a question of biochemical abnormalities.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 5:59pm On Nov 26, 2013
What the article missed, however, as i first suggested in my 1990 book (From Conflict to Resolution), is that DEPRESSION EMERGES AS A BYE-PRODUCT OF A PROBLEMATIC CONFLICT RESOLUTION EVENT, that is, of a decision or interaction, that has been made in a WIN-LOSE MANNER. Depression is a bye-product of giving up in a dominant-submissive interaction. IF I HATE MY JOB BUT I FEEL STUCK BECAUSE I NEED THE MONEY, I WILL FEEL DEPRESSED. Choice points, both within an individual and vis a vis other people or circumstances, can be addressed in a manner that leads to win-win solutions. IF INSTEAD, ONE SIDE DOMINATES WHILE THE OTHER GIVES UP OR HAS NO SAY, DEPRESSION WILL BE THE BYE-PRODUCT.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 7:33pm On Nov 26, 2013
DEPRESSION AND BRAIN CHEMICAL REACTION: All of us feel a brief spurt of depressive serotonin drop when we lose at a game, when the stock we just bet on slides downwards, or when our favorite football team loses a game. LOSING IS DEPRESSING. When we get what we want in an interaction, serotonin spurts into our system. WHEN WE LOSE, SEROTONIN GETS DEPLETED. This view expands on Seligman's view that DEPRESSION IS A DISORDER OE POWER. Giving up in a contest between what i want and what someone else wants comes from feeling less powerful. Inturn, not getting what one wants creates feelings of diminished power.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 7:49pm On Nov 26, 2013
So there you have it guys. GIVING UP FOR TOO LONG LEADS TO A PERMANENTLY LOW SEROTONIN LEVEL (which further reveals itself in low energy level and the other symptoms). LIKE I SAID, WHAT ANY DEPRESSED PERSON NEEDS IS HABIT CHANGE. Gooogle mosttimes only shows you what you want to see: not what you need to see. BTW, the source of the info above will be available when you ask.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Nobody: 1:42am On Nov 27, 2013
depressionkills:

wink
Does your family try to discourage you too?
A lot, like you said, money is the only thing most Africans care for, though money its very vital, i just want to be able to give my dreams a shot.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Nobody: 1:54am On Nov 27, 2013
Not everybody suffering from depression is a weakling, i myself decided to visit this thread not for sympathy but cause i knew it would be nice talking to others who has experienced the same illness as myself. Please, No pity parties.
It would be better if Some sort of group like say on whatsapp, bbm or hangouts is created. There are somethings not worth revealing on a public forum.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 27, 2013
hi im new here please but i think this is a really useful thread. I have a problem ive bin battling with and havent gotten over. I always hoped i would get married as a virgin but unfortunately i lost my virginitylast month and i feel so unhappy about it. I wasnt forced but i wasnt happy. I have a very critical and possesive mother who always tricks me into trusting her with my issues but when i tell her all she does is to condemn me. When i felt so bad about my virginity that i even told her to help me commit suicide she tricked me into telling her but once i told her she condemned me completely,and let me know im useless. I stopped telling my boyfriend how bad i feel bcuz he just gets mad at me. Im alone with my depression and now my mom is just extra possesive. Please how do i get through this. Im twenty one.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 10:14am On Nov 27, 2013
Big.game:
Not everybody suffering from depression is a weakling, i myself decided to visit this thread not for sympathy but cause i knew it would be nice talking to others who has experienced the same illness as myself. Please, No pity parties.
It would be better if Some sort of group like say on whatsapp, bbm or hangouts is created. There are somethings not worth revealing on a public forum.
You keep missing the point, dont you? Look, YOU ARE NOT SICK. And are you sure you didnt come here to join a pity party? Last i checked, even the title of this our thread say a whole lot. (a thread for those SUFFERING from...). TO SAY YOU ARE SUFFERING MEANS YOU ARE DECLARING YOURSELF A WEAKLING (PLAYING VICTIM). You wont get very far with that believe me. THIS WORLD WAS NOT BUILT FOR VICTIMS BUT VICTORS! Remember the saying "survival of the fittest"? WHAT WE SHOULD BE DOING HERE IS EMPATHIZING WITH OURSELVES AND then SOLVING OUR PROBLEMS TOGETHER. Would you like me to say this all over again? Now, lets hear our problems, cry together and solve the sucker! Together.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 10:39am On Nov 27, 2013
Krystalxxx: hi im new here please but i think this is a really useful thread. I have a problem ive bin battling with and havent gotten over. I always hoped i would get married as a virgin but unfortunately i lost my virginitylast month and i feel so unhappy about it. I wasnt forced but i wasnt happy. I have a very critical and possesive mother who always tricks me into trusting her with my issues but when i tell her all she does is to condemn me. When i felt so bad about my virginity that i even told her to help me commit suicide she tricked me into telling her but once i told her she condemned me completely,and let me know im useless. I stopped telling my boyfriend how bad i feel bcuz he just gets mad at me. Im alone with my depression and now my mom is just extra possesive. Please how do i get through this. Im twenty one.
Depressionkills, Tbken, Mckayzee, everybody; Krystalxxx needs our hug & advice o. Anyways Krystal, sorry to hear about your issue with your bf and mom plus the emotions from losing your virginity before marraige. We understand your problem. Ok? Dont worry, IT IS ONLY A TEMPORARY EMOTION. It will fade away with time and you'll be fine. No need to hate your mom (she loves you so much). And about your bf, well i think he's just carried away. He'll be back to his senses soon (hopefully). Its not easy to be concerned and not be possesive or mad. What i think you might need for now though is someone to talk to. SOMEONE THAT WILL NOT JUDGE YOU WHEN YOU SPEAK. Oh, if wishes were horses.... ALSO, YOU MIGHT NEED SOMETHING TO KEEP YOU BUSY FOR NOW IF YOU CAN. So hey, no worries dearie, you'll be fine. K?
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 27, 2013
thanks very mmuch bettermike,im sure this will help

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

FG Confirms 10th Ebola Case In Lagos / Interview With A South Korean Ambassador On COVID-19 / Kano Govt Playing Politics With COVID-19 - NARD, NMA, AMLSN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.