Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,875 members, 7,828,115 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls (6526 Views)

Engine Revving! / Where Can I Get A 2009 Honda City? / Help! My Honda 1998 Keeps Revving Up Amd Down When Running Idle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by jjjkkkooo: 5:47pm On Oct 18, 2013
I notice that the car jerks and revs itself while accelerating. I just changed the 8 plugs and serviced the nozzles. It is 2006 models. The mechanic says the gear oil is ok. Sometimes the 'D' blinks and I ve to stop and restart. And it will be ok. But the jerking and revving Persists. Any help?
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by Lexusgs430: 6:46pm On Oct 18, 2013
Have your vehicle scanned. Once fault codes are identified, you can properly diagnose and fix faults.

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 18, 2013
jjjkkkooo: I notice that the car jerks and revs itself while accelerating. I just changed the 8 plugs and serviced the nozzles. It is 2006 models. The mechanic says the gear oil is ok. Sometimes the 'D' blinks and I ve to stop and restart. And it will be ok. But the jerking and revving Persists. Any help?

The 'D' light blinks, I am suspecting an error in the gearbox as the culprit. Sir, did you at any time in the past work on your gearbox or even changed the Automatic Transmission Fluid?

As for the '8 Plugs' I'm not sure Honda city have 8 plugs, I think the recommended numbers of spark plugs used in Honda City is 4 spark plugs.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by jjjkkkooo: 11:11pm On Oct 18, 2013
lomomike:

The 'D' light blinks, I am suspecting an error in the gearbox as the culprit. Sir, did you at any time in the past work on your gearbox or even changed the Automatic Transmission Fluid?

As for the '8 Plugs' I'm not sure Honda city have 8 plugs, I think the recommended numbers of spark plugs used in Honda City is 4 spark plugs.
I hv never worked on the gear box and also can't remember changing the ATF fluid. The car has 8 plugs which the mechanic changed today.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by biggiyke(m): 11:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
your car has too many plugs. i guess that's why it's revving itself. my advice to you is this; remove four of the plugs. drive it for awhile and tell us what you notice different.

only then can we be of help to you here undecided
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by elektra80: 8:05am On Oct 19, 2013
lomomike:

@lomomike
some Honda city have Intelligence-dual and sequential Ignition (I-DSI).Which means 2 spark plugs are employed in each cylinder making a total of 8 spark plugs instead of 4. This ensures utilizing every drop of fuel thrown into the cylinders leading to better mpg. So op, check the plugs again, make sure they are OEM recommended and don't remove any of the plugs like someone suggested. Also for the D light flashing, scan the car and post the codes. Might be a solenoid on the gearbox or probably u need to change the ATF.

as for the jerking, a lot of things can cause this, not just plugs. Might be fuel pump, maf sensor, rocker arm actuator, etc. So u need to scan ur car.

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 19, 2013
^^^^i guess I'm still a learner here embarassed let me wait and see this thread progress I will learn a thing or two... Don't you think so sir smiley?

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by biggiyke(m): 8:41am On Oct 19, 2013
interesting. we learn everyday, don't we all love nairaland?
thanks for the enlightenment.
elektra80:

some Honda city have Intelligence-dual and sequential Ignition (I-DSI).Which means 2 spark plugs are employed in each cylinder making a total of 8 spark plugs instead of 4. This ensures utilizing every drop of fuel thrown into the cylinders leading to better mpg. So op, check the plugs again, make sure they are OEM recommended and don't remove any of the plugs like someone suggested. Also for the D light flashing, scan the car and post the codes. Might be a solenoid on the gearbox or probably u need to change the ATF.

as for the jerking, a lot of things can cause this, not just plugs. Might be fuel pump, maf sensor, rocker arm actuator, etc. So u need to scan ur car.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:07am On Oct 19, 2013
biggiyke: your car has too many plugs. i guess that's why it's revving itself. my advice to you is this; remove four of the plugs. drive it for awhile and tell us what you notice different.

you made me laugh
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:40pm On Oct 19, 2013
jjjkkkooo: I notice that the car jerks and revs itself while accelerating. I just changed the 8 plugs and serviced the nozzles. It is 2006 models. The mechanic says the gear oil is ok. Sometimes the 'D' blinks and I ve to stop and restart. And it will be ok. But the jerking and revving Persists. Any help?

to accelerate is to rev to higher revs

when you say it revs while you accelerate what you you mean ?
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by jjjkkkooo: 4:58pm On Oct 19, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

to accelerate is to rev to higher revs

when you say it revs while you accelerate what you you mean ?
I mean when I press the accelerator slightly, it jerks and revs up and down higher than the pressure I apply. It's bad if I want to climb. If I cruising on a slope no wahala.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by jjjkkkooo: 5:01pm On Oct 19, 2013
You guys that say I should scan how much does it cost I was charged 3k here in Abuja.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by Lexusgs430: 5:51pm On Oct 19, 2013
jjjkkkooo: You guys that say I should scan how much does it cost I was charged 3k here in Abuja.

People apply whatever charges they deem appropriate. Best to buy your own scanner.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by elektra80: 8:22pm On Oct 19, 2013
jjjkkkooo: You guys that say I should scan how much does it cost I was charged 3k here in Abuja.

3k to scan in Abuja is ok. Better still u can get ur own scanner. U can get ELM327 wireless Bluetooth scanner for about N9,000. If u have an android phone, u can download torque, if u have windows phone u can download car dash. These are very good softwares that can read codes, clear codes, monitor ur sensors, tell if ur car is on open or closed loop, etc. Really it does more than lots of stand alone scanners.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by oseo1(m): 11:32am On Oct 20, 2013
Have your mechanic check your intake, there is probably a buildup of dirt in there. That will probably help the high revving. The mechanic doesn't even need to remove the part. There is am intake/carb cleaner spray he can use to clean it.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by kingschild123(m): 12:46pm On Oct 20, 2013
Have the spark plug changed and the A coils I feel that would solve the problem.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by jjjkkkooo: 3:17am On Oct 21, 2013
A friend just told me that the revving problem is caused by faulty timing sensor. Similar thing was fixed for him in kaduna
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by Lexusgs430: 3:29am On Oct 21, 2013
Why second - guessing when a 10 second scan would point you in the right direction ?
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by oseo1(m): 3:56pm On Oct 21, 2013
Lexusgs430: Why second - guessing when a 10 second scan would point you in the right direction ?

Unfortunately scans cannot detect everything.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by Lexusgs430: 3:59pm On Oct 21, 2013
ose_o:

Unfortunately scans cannot detect everything.

Fact. But it detects all ECU entries. And the OBD port is a first point - call for initial fault diagnosis.
NB: I would not expect you to scan your car, if you car has a punctured tyre !!!!
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by oseo1(m): 12:53am On Oct 23, 2013
Lexusgs430:

Fact. But it detects all ECU entries. And the OBD port is a first point - call for initial fault diagnosis.
NB: I would not expect you to scan your car, if you car has a punctured tyre !!!!

agreed!
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by jjjkkkooo: 1:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
I was able to meet two experienced mechanics who say I should change the gear box. The cost is 70,000. Honda city 2006.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by elektra80: 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
jjjkkkooo: I was able to meet two experienced mechanics who say I should change the gear box. The cost is 70,000. Honda city 2006.

Do u have a check engine light on? If u do first thing is to scan ur car. Mechanics are quick to suggest buying a nee gear when they can't figure out a problem. I almost changed the gearbox of my 2005 accord as different mechanics suggested, but then I scanned the car, no codes and the ATF didn't smell like its burnt. Problem I had was vehicle loosing power especially while going up hill, it won't go unless u apply kickdown, then it would rev high and move with force. I know it wasn't normal because it wasn't doing like that when i bought the car, that thing is supposed to be 160hp. Also I hear a cranking sound when changing from gear 1 to 2, and pick up speed was so slow. I suspected the maf sensor and air filter,but then I changed the whole air intake box, came with the maf sensor and new air filter and bang, car started moving well, in fact it started flying just like new. The mechanic that asked me to change the gearbox still doesn't believe I didn't change the gearbox when he drove the car.

But then, I still had a little problem, I still lose power while going uphill. Was faster than before but still not the way it should be. I later found out it was the exhaust. A rubber that holds the exhaust close to the manifold was bad, changed the rubber and the exhaust was perfectly seated and all problems went away. So bro, before u change ur gearbox, u should check some other little things first. Just my 2 cent.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by jjjkkkooo: 2:32pm On Oct 30, 2013
Hello all, my car has been fixed by servicing the fuel pump and changing the gear oil.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by jjjkkkooo: 2:34pm On Oct 30, 2013
It was fixed by Mathew 07067156939 in Abuja. The guy is vert good.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by elektra80: 3:24pm On Oct 30, 2013
jjjkkkooo: Hello all, my car has been fixed by servicing the fuel pump and changing the gear oil.

Congratulations. Like I said, some mechanics are quick to to tell u to change ur gearbox, thank God u didn't waste money on a tokunbo gearbox. Now I hope u used the recommended atf because if u didn't, u are killing ur tyranny slowly, Honda is not very friendly with non recommended Atf. Also if u have any warning light on, then scan the car.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by jjjkkkooo: 3:38pm On Oct 30, 2013
Yea, I used the remmended gear oil.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by cardoctor(m): 4:06pm On Oct 30, 2013
biggiyke: your car has too many plugs. i guess that's why it's revving itself. my advice to you is this; remove four of the plugs. drive it for awhile and tell us what you notice different.

I will really like to know where you got your mechanic experience from. Under a tree I suppose. Please stop giving advices that could lead to more problems to members on this forum.

I can't get your logic that the car engine has too many plugs. That's how the engine was designed and built and I believe that the car has always ran on 8 plugs prior to the op having the issues presented.

Your advice to the op to remove 4 of the 8 plugs and drive the car around for a while could lead to other issues coming up. Where would the sparks meant for the removed plugs go? How do you disable the ignition circuit for the removed plugs? You could end up frying up the ecu in the process.

@op. Please ignore this guys advice.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by raycollins: 5:38pm On Oct 30, 2013
U don't undastand y he said it. A honda civic can never use 8 plugs.so u reason it out.

will really like to know where you got your mechanic experience from. Under a tree I suppose. Please stop giving advices that could lead to more problems to members on this forum.

I can't get your logic that the car engine has too many plugs. That's how the engine was designed and built and I believe that the car has always ran on 8 plugs prior to the op having the issues presented.

Your advice to the op to remove 4 of the 8 plugs and drive the car around for a while could lead to other issues coming up. Where would the sparks meant for the removed plugs go? How do you disable the ignition circuit for the removed plugs? You could end up frying up the ecu in the process.

Car-Doctor.[/quote]
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by elektra80: 6:39pm On Oct 30, 2013
ray collins: U don't undastand y he said it. A honda civic can never use 8 plugs.so u reason it out.

will really like to know where you got your mechanic experience from. Under a tree I suppose. Please stop giving advices that could lead to more problems to members on this forum.

Car-Doctor.

If u don't know about something, its better not to say anything than make a false statement. Well i will categorically tell u that some Honda city have 8 plugs, and no they are not v8 but i4 . Ever heard of Intelligence-dual and sequential Ignition (I-DSI).Which means 2 spark plugs are employed in each cylinder making a total of 8 spark plugs instead of 4. This ensures utilizing every drop of fuel thrown into the cylinders leading to better mpg. So bro, do ur research and re phrase ur statement.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by jjjkkkooo: 9:40pm On Oct 30, 2013
It has 8 plugs ooo! Honda CITY 2006, not civic. Just I can't seem to insert picture to this post. I would hv put the pix. Well thank God the car is fixed. I'm crusing now.
Re: Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls by cardoctor(m): 10:04pm On Oct 30, 2013

Your car has three major issues.
Jerking
Independent revs
Gearbox D light blinking.

Jerks are usually caused by fuel starvation to the engine. This mainly happens while in motion and when you need power to accelerate. The common culprits are the fuel pump, fuel filter or fuel supply lines. Have all these components individually checked by a professional mechanic.

Uncontrolled revving of the engine could be caused by air intake from other sources than the throttle body. The inlet manifold may have air entering into the inlet duct through injector nozzle seals that are not properly seated or any other possible orifice. This would cause uncontorlled air intake and that will automatically increase the engine speed.

In the case of the gearbox D light coming on, you will need to have the transmission control module scanned. The flashing D light indicates an electronic malfunction and it could be anything. Have the tranny scanned and post the results here.

All the best.

Car-Doctor.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Turn Your Kazeem To A Gazzuzz or A Radautoworks. Thread For Broke Car Owners. / Car Care Tips During The Rainy Season / What Is The Difference Between AWD, 4WD And Auxiliary Gear In SUV?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.