Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars (23946 Views)

How Can You Pack Senators In A Bus- Senate Leader, Ali Ndume Queries / PDP Queries Buhari ‘indifference’ To Burning National Issues / My Take On Stella Oduah's Fake MBA Degree - Femi Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by dbride: 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
Stylaay: you were making sense as regards your comment on the minister. Corruption has destroyed this country, it does not matter which ethnic group these offenders originate from. If found culpable they should be brought to book. When you started spewing this nonsense about ibos i just had to conclude this is just one of those little minds posting nonsense again. I used to enjoy nairaland when i first discovered it; but it seems like the moderators have suddenly become dormant.. Most people where indifferent about other ethnic groups not until they began reading hate comments on sites like nairaland. Such comments have the propensity to sway your opinion if you think like one of them little minds . Nairaland has propagated dislike among the various ethnic and religious groups in nigeria. I think if the moderators cannot do a good job hiding these nonsense comments, then the government has to do something about nairaland and all other sites bringing so much division in the country.

@Stylaay, our kinsmen brought this upon us as majority of Ndigbo HERE support this corruption without shame. Yeah, it hurts but let's bear it and let the few of us, who sincerely detest corruption and believe Stella goofed, stand on the side of truth to control this damage.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by bappahman: 1:40pm On Oct 23, 2013
@daily_trust: #BREAKINGNEWS: Scuffle between pro and anti Stella Oduah (#Nigeria's minister of #aviation) ongoing at the Federal Secretariat, Abuja.
Oga dino at work
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by bappahman: 1:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
NEWS UPDATE: Head of the Anti-#Corruption Network group & convener of the protest, Dino Melaye, hav bn taken into custody by some policemen.
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Emperor007: 1:48pm On Oct 23, 2013
Those that enjoy sabotaging other regions progress are at it again.

Fabricating everything just to paint the aviation minister black.

We can't be deceived, we know what their real target is and the approaching season.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Emperor007: 1:55pm On Oct 23, 2013
ALTRUTH:

Wow! I shld see Nigeria as one wen ur ppl are busy scheming how to push
us out of Lagos nd are even here shouting "Leave our western region."
Dis is hypocrisy.

^^^

They think we can be deceived again, or talked into believing something that doesn't exist. It will not happen again.

Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Stylaay(m): 1:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
dbride:

@Stylaay, our kinsmen brought this upon us as majority of Ndigbo HERE support this corruption without shame. Yeah, it hurts but let's bear it and let the few of us, who sincerely detest corruption and believe Stella goofed, stand on the side of truth to control this damage.
my broda i tire oo. I would have said it's probably teens towing this line reasoning but as a public servant seeing what's going on in the civil service i've finally given up on this country. We r doomed.
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by dansiode(m): 2:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
Oga jona or jonathan any one among, forget abt oduah nw think of the proposed bil of National soveriegn conference, hw to move Naija forward bcs me since i don Graduate no job ooo
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Handsomeemmy(m): 2:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
Emperor_007: Those that enjoy sabotaging other regions progress are at it again.

We can't be deceived, we know what their real target is and the approaching season.

fabricating? her spokesman accepted the fact that the said cars were bought, i expect her to prove her innocence and not throwing the ethnic card as some people have done in this country and on this forum.

my pains is that our judiciary is sick, because if not, people like Bankole, Etteh Orji Kalu. dariye, Jolly Nyame and their likes won't be walking free.

Most Nigerians and the leaders are corrupt, we the youth should pick the fight from somewhere and fight for our future, posterity will not judge us well if we continuing taking side based on ethnicity.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Biggoozz: 2:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
bappahman:

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/147065-exclusive-jonathan-queries-aviation-minister-stella-oduah-n225m-armoured-cars.html

Shame on these antagonists, witch hunting smells everywhere. Not in support of this fraud, but this woman's crime is nowhere near what we have heard many public officer did which never were this celebrated with overcooked antagonism. Shame!
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Biggoozz: 2:24pm On Oct 23, 2013
bappahman:

President Goodluck Jonathan has queried the Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah, demanding a detailed explanation from her concerning the allegation that she arm-twisted an agency under her supervision, the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, to buy her two armoured cars for N255 million, PREMIUM TIMES can authoritatively report today.

In a memo marked “Restricted”, and written on a State House letterhead, Mr. Jonathan directed the embattled minister to provide him a detailed report on the procurement of the controversial bullet-proof cars, especially the cost, procurement processes and other issues relating to the transaction that have been raised by the media.

“The president is really angry at the disgrace that this shameful episode has brought upon his administration that is already hated by millions of Nigeria,” said a presidency source who has seen the memo sent to Mrs Oduah by the president. “The president has queried her as a way of following due process. He wants her to state her own side of the story in black and white.

“The president hardly feels this angry over an issue. I can tell you that except he has a change of mind, Oduah is a goner already.”

PREMIUM TIMES gathered that the president asked the minister to respond to the query, dated October 21, before his arrival from Israel, where he and some governors and ministers are expected to perform this year’s pilgrimage.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media, Reuben Abati, was not available to comment for this story. Repeated calls to his mobile telephone did not connect Tuesday night. An aide said he had been busy preparing for the trip to Israel with the President.

The spokesperson for Minister Oduah, Joe Obi, could also not be reached. He did not answer or return calls. So also was Yakubu Dati, the coordinating General Manager for Public Affairs for the aviation agencies, who has been defending the minister since the scandal broke.

However, an aide of the minister confirmed Mrs Oduah received the query on Monday and has been scrambling to put together a convincing explanation for the president.

“I can tell you that they have been cooking up explanations they believe will assuage the President,” said an aide who asked not to be named because he was not authorised to speak on the matter.

“They are trying to destroy evidence as well. The sensible thing would have been for the president to suspend her before launching an enquiry. Now she is still in charge and at liberty to destroy evidence.”

The key issues the President wants the minister to explain are the allegations she inflated the cost of the cars while also violating the 2013 Appropriation Act and the Public Procurement Act in the acquisition of the controversial cars.

She also has to convince the president that she did not by her action violate a number of Nigeria’s anti-corruption laws.

PREMIUM TIMES had authoritatively reported that the multimillion contract was never listed or approved in any government budget as required by law, neither was it openly advertised or bided for.

The contract was also not listed in the budget of the NCAA, the agency compelled by the minister to make the purchase; and was not listed by the Federal Airport Authority, FAAN or Nigerian Airspace Management Agency, NAMA.

The ministry’s own budget too, had no plan to purchase any car for the minister, or other officials this year.

Spending public funds on unbudgeted projects attracts three years in jail and a fine of N100, 000 the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences law stipulates.

Also, contracts involving public funds without due procurement processes- basically open advertising and bidding- draws a minimum of five years, and a maximum of 10 years in jail, the Public Procurement law says.

Mrs Oduah had reportedly compelled the NCAA, to buy the two BMW 760LI armoured cars for her.

Her media assistant, Joe Obi, confirmed the procurement of the cars, claiming the agency bought the vehicles to protect the minister from “imminent threats” to her life.

The confirmation attracted outrage from Nigerians, especially anti-corruption crusaders and opposition politicians, who did not only demand her sack, but also called for an immediate investigation into the matter by the nation’s anti-graft agencies.

According to them, the transaction did not go through the procurement process neither were the vehicles budgeted for. They also claim that the cost of the vehicles might have been massively inflated.

Lagos lawyer and activist, Femi Falana, wrote the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, last Friday, demanding the minister’s resignation and an immediate investigation by the commission, failing which he would head for court to compel the Commission to do so.

Another anti-corruption group, Anti-Corruption Network, ACN, headed by a former member of the House of Representatives, Dino Melaye, also gave Mrs Oduah 72 hours to refund the N255 million used to purchase the cars. The group also threatened to sue her.

Other groups that called for the minister’s head include the Conference for Nigeria Political Parties, CNPP, Say No Campaign Nigeria, SNCN, and Centre for Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre, CISLAC.

Mrs Oduah had reportedly made desperate moves to suppress the matter since it blew open by reaching out to some influential individuals and socio-cultural groups, including Aka Ikenga to mount a campaign that she was being victimised for stepping on the toes of some influential forces in the aviation sector.

She was reported to have also reached out to some media organisations to help checkmate the attacks on her.

Besides, she tried unsuccessfully to seek audience with Mr. Jonathan.

On Tuesday, a day after the president’s query was issued, the NCAA made further attempts to save the minister.

Mr. Dati insisted in a statement Tuesday that due process was followed in the purchase of the vehicles for the minister.

He also claimed that those calling for Mrs Oduah’s head were doing so with the aim of preventing Mr. Jonathan from contesting the 2015 presidential election. http://premiumtimesng.com/news/147065-exclusive-jonathan-queries-aviation-minister-stella-oduah-n225m-armoured-cars.html

Shame on these antagonists, witch hunting smells everywhere. Not in support of this fraud, but this woman's crime is nowhere near what we have heard many public officer did which never were this celebrated with overcooked antagonism. Shame!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by ameh43: 2:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
its high time we put behind this tribe of a thing and think like one Nation. Is it a question of Tribe or doing the right thing? Are u guys 'Igbo' saying she didn't buy the cars or she is right in d purchase of the car? Come out straight people. If our Universities are closed bcus there is no money, why should we be buying cars worth that amount for a single person from the Nation treasury? If we don't stop dis our man 'TRIBALISM' of a thing, we will go no where NIGERIANs. Wish u guys Sambo oh..................

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by AdeniyiA(m): 2:45pm On Oct 23, 2013
realsui-generis:
E-X-P-O-S-E-D!!!
The Gang Up Against Stella Oduah.
By Captain Ore Kingsley.

**they accused her of blocking their means of livilihood and will do everthing to push her out..
**one wonders, why the DG with initiates a contract, approved by National assembly and they are attacking a Minister that was not involved in the process..........
super story story ....
the question is, was 255m used to purchase cars for her?? ??
we are only interested in the truth, gang up is not new in as much u are human being making it

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by pheesayor(m): 2:56pm On Oct 23, 2013
Onlytruth: Oga Jona put on your thinking cap.
We Ndigbo believe that our daughter is being ganged up on. She is a victim of never do wells in Nigeria, people who want your failure in office.
Leave our daughter alone to do her job. The people behind her travails are the trouble with Nigeria.
If you go through with the wishes of haters and witches in Nigeria, do not be shocked if we Ndigbo dump you too!
Nuff said.
You guys will never give up, so with all the evidence gathered so far you still attempt to claim she was framed up It is true they say when you fight corruption, it fights back
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Delafruita(m): 3:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
Stylaay: where u said ibos will never be allowed to rule . If someone expresses the way they feel on this wacked forum it does not translate to the general opinion of all ibos. Somebody said nigeria's biggest problem is not corruption. I really totally agree with that comment. The moment we begin to address issues at hand devoid of ethnic sentiments; thats the day this country would start making progress. It's so annoying to see youths still playing this ethnic card these old goons used to destroy a country that would have been great. We can't even speak with one voice against our common enemy the looters of this nation. Some little minds have to start ibo, hausa, yoruba, ijaw and what not. Mtcheew we r an intelligent lot but we act stupid. Next time why not quote what a particular individual said and try trashing out the grew areas with them. Please do not say crap like ibo people cos from the confines of your room or office you haven't and will never meet all ibos to just generalise. Which kain country den born me for sef?
i have nothing against the igbos and i have no doubt there are igbos of impeccable character who can pilot the affairs of this nation.however,we learn from history how to influence our future.i agree that the problem with this country is not corruption,rather our biggest problem is our attitude towards corruption when it pertains our "brother/son/daughter" and when it pertains others.corruption should be condemned irrespective of the ethnicity of the corrupt.as for the perceived stereotype,i stand by my opinion that based on the way majority of igbos not only on this forum but out of it have gone about their "she must remain" stance,its not in doubt such will be their stance when one of theirs becomes leader of the country
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Delafruita(m): 3:32pm On Oct 23, 2013
Biggoozz:

if you have evidence of the crime of others,you can always contact sonala olunmese and it will get the publicity deserved.this case is about stella oduah and i will not want to assume you're implying no action should be taken against her
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Delafruita(m): 3:35pm On Oct 23, 2013
Emperor_007: Those that enjoy sabotaging other regions progress are at it again.

i am guessing they also fabricated the BMWs and perhaps they fabricated the millions used to purchase it as well.dumb buffoon
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by jaja77: 3:41pm On Oct 23, 2013
According to them, the transaction did not go through the procurement process neither were the vehicles budgeted for. They also claim that the cost of the vehicles might have been massively inflated.
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by proudlyAfrica(m): 4:00pm On Oct 23, 2013
sagytarius™:

Udele!
....hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahah
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by dabossman(m): 4:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
PBundles: And here Ladies and Gentlemen is the ISSUE we have in Nigeria. We are so stupid to accept that because she may have done good things, we should turn a deaf ear to her thievery. This is that slave menatality that we havent been able to shake off since the Brits left. Because master feed you, master should wip you when he please...Disgusted angry

Double "disgusted" Oh, it's okay to loot blindly as long as you execute some projects. Such sick mentality.
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by dabossman(m): 4:10pm On Oct 23, 2013
Biggoozz:

Liar, liar, pants on fire! Where you not on this planet when we roundly condemned the like of Farouk Lawan, Femi Otedola, Cecelia Ibru, Alameseigha, Bode George, James Ibori and so on? Or are all these people Ibos too? What is wrong is wrong, irresepective of your tribe. Corruption is wrong.
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Ninapha(f): 4:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sloan:

She is a thief and now being queried by her (also thieving) oga, how is that anyone's fault? You people pretend like if Stella's stomach is full and fat, then all ibos are also full and fat despite that several thousands are scrounging for a mean selling la casera and spare parts in every part of Nigeria. Well, save your breath - rather go and present how you want to go back to your se region in the coming national conference! When Odulah becomes minister in your region, may she steal to her hearts content! Just get your people to get their acts together and move out of the Western Region. That is all I care for now and I can't wait for this GEJ to make the conference VERY QUICK! angry angry
but ur Arguing peoples congress say una no want the conference na. Abi na only u go represent them states?
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by dabossman(m): 4:24pm On Oct 23, 2013
nnenna.1:
My thoughts on this whole issue after deliberate review:

The thing is that while she may be corrupt, we know that some other corrupt forces are also trying to oust her out of office. Let us not doubt that media agents are operating under this motive.

The "gang-up" article on Stella comes to mind.

If we succeed in getting rid of Stella, have we really solved one battle against corruption?

Or are we substituting one corrupt form for another?

The only way to rid Nigeria of some corruption is to tear the entire machine down.

Almost all the personalities in Nigerian politics are a cog in the corrupt Machine.

Including those bent on removing Stella. So what gives?

Ousting her will certainly not remove the faults in the aviation ministry.

For all we know it may make it worse.

Will be watching to see how it all develops.

While I might agree with you on the bolded, the truth is that "he who is caught is the one referred to as a thief, not the one who is perceived to be a thief."

As I always ask when this argument comes up; If 10 armed robbers break into your house, beat you black and blue, cart away your belongings and God forbid molest you or your spouse, and one of them is caught; will you ask that he be released since he wasn't the only one, or he wasn't the ring leader, or the rapist?
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by blaise26abj(m): 4:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
I have this belief that our leaders are deliberately poisoning the minds of the youth with ethnic bigotry. They are never straightforward in addressing issues. When the youth ( wit so much energy in them) focus on ethnic hatred, then we are doomed as a nation.

@ topic: There is nothing wrong in buying 2 armoured vehicles. Absolutely nothing. I don't care if she slapped the staff of NCAA to get them to buy the cars. What question is that WAS IT PROCURED LEGALLY AND THE PRICES WERE NOT INFLATED?

But again, if a Pastor can be accused of adultery and he is still preparing his "robust reply" and nigerians have forgotten , who would expect a politician to come clean? Na to dabaru the whole issue until another sensational news overshadows it.
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by eluquenson(m): 5:40pm On Oct 23, 2013
They are love Birds. I pity patience as she don't know enemies to fight instead she is fighting Innocent Amaechi. grin
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by sagytariusTM1: 5:41pm On Oct 23, 2013
Lilimax: grin
wink
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by sagytariusTM1: 5:42pm On Oct 23, 2013
proudlyAfrica: ....hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahah
grin
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by ChikezieU(m): 6:12pm On Oct 23, 2013
[quote author=Delafruita]now it can be understood why the sagacious and informed have continually stated that an igbo will not be allowed to lead this nation.some people are so blinded by ethni...
A sensible person should wonder why the president didnt first suspend ... so According to your speech you disaproves ethnicity then you said you are the imformed and Igbos are now insensible, and you people will force them to be a part of Nigeria, well let wait and as for the story behind Stella and the BMW as no one can say exactly what happend as the press always misgives information but should she be proven guilty you will be the same person to say the Igbos are not there brothers keeper time shall tell
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
LMAO....I love Igbo people.....Entertaining folks.
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by ChikezieU(m): 6:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
Ninapha: but ur Arguing peoples congress say una no want the conference na. Abi na only u go represent them states?
Dont mind them, any time they think Igbos are trying to move a motion to dettach themselves from Nigeria they give there last to counter it, yet they wont let them be
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by chikejude(m): 6:54pm On Oct 23, 2013
I don't give a damn where she is from. They should immediately probe her. If she is found guilty let her, cosharis, firstbank and any official of the agency face the law.
This is the time we must unite and fight for justice and not tribal sentiments.

But wait who wan even probe her, Maybe another act of god.
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by christemmbassey(m): 6:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
Do we have a president in Nigeria?
Re: Jonathan Queries Stella Oduah Over N255m Cars by Ifedikaycee(m): 7:36pm On Oct 23, 2013
Onlytruth: Oga Jona put on your thinking cap.
We Ndigbo believe that our daughter is being ganged up on. She is a victim of never do wells in Nigeria, people who want your failure in office.
Leave our daughter alone to do her job. The people behind her travails are the trouble with Nigeria.
If you go through with the wishes of haters and witches in Nigeria, do not be shocked if we Ndigbo dump you too!
Nuff said.
wat r u rili sayin?..."we ndigbo" 4 wia??....all hail our spokesperson!!...i'm igbo n can relate 2 al d supposed gang-ups but in ds issue;she shud face d music if guilty nt minding weda she is frm my LGA...dont u knw she is givin d world d more rizn 2 beliv dt we all<igbos> ar corrupt n greedy!?...nonsense!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osun Governorship Election May End In Run-off / Onnoghen Stands To Get N2.5bn Benefits In ‘soft Landing’ Option - The Cable / Why Has FG Not Arrested Sheikh Gumi? - Senator Musa Queries DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.