Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,779 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos (14834 Views)

Cholera Outbreak Claim 20 Lives In Ebonyi / Another Cholera Outbreak Hits Bayelsa State, Death Toll Now 36 / Cholera Outbreak : 74 Confirmed Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by ZUBY77(m): 1:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
Afam4eva: My Mum actually buys Abacha whenever she goes to Cele bus-stop area.

What is your mom still doing in Lagos?

4 Likes

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Lilimax(f): 1:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
ZUBY77:

grin
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 1:10pm On Oct 25, 2013
ZUBY77:

Where should she be?
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by bamssy(m): 1:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
das y i dnt patronize food vendors & always go 4 snacks or any form of animal protein wen i vist any fast fud cos my bodi i 2 sensitive
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Ifedikaycee(m): 1:35pm On Oct 25, 2013
spaq: This thing is spreading fast oo..

Tnk God i dont eat out..

I'v always knwn 'Abacha' is a very bad thing..
Abacha a very bad tin??....wat is ur point exactly sef...abeg use d head b4 commenting!
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Desdola(m): 1:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
The woman might be a carrier of the pathogen, without visible symptoms. with proper lab test on d woman and the food, water and other ingredients for cooking, d real cause should be deciphered.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by chezzy13(f): 1:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
Am in a hospital at surulere and three people have been admitted already while a mature clean guy just died yesterday from it. Pls friends let's be careful.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by logica(m): 2:10pm On Oct 25, 2013
I guess they mean "abasa"; a Yoruba word meaning "mess".
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by logica(m): 2:11pm On Oct 25, 2013
Desdola: The woman might be a carrier of the pathogen, without visible symptoms. with proper lab test on d woman and the food, water and other ingredients for cooking, d real cause should be deciphered.
He he. Like Typhoid Mary eh?
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by whitecat007: 2:18pm On Oct 25, 2013
You can't rule that out, ibos will do anything for money
topsy1971: How are we sure this woman is not workingt for Boko Haram?? Just asking..

1 Like

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by doctokwus: 2:20pm On Oct 25, 2013
chezzy13: Am in a hospital at surulere and three people have been admitted already while a mature clean guy just died yesterday from it. Pls friends let's be careful.
If ur story is true,den its clear it cannot be d "abacha" dat is d cause because d woman cudnt av sold abacha frfom cele,den to surulere.Barring proper authentication of a cholera outbreak itself,a common water source shud b investigated.
Is it possible that d satchet or whatever water,though d victims are from far-apart locations,cud av come from a common source?
Could it also b dat a common ingredient used in preparing d meal d victims ate cud b d agent;has d govt tried tracing if these victims consumed any kind of dairy product,e.g, meat,whc cud av come from a single abbatoir and is a commonly known source of bacteria causing cholera.These are possible sources 2 explore,rather dan somebody sitting in one office aving heard from agberos dat a mr A last ate abacha b4 he fell ill,hastily concludes it to b d source.Epidemiology,under whc this outbreak,if confirmed,falls under is a serious undertaking,& anyperson dat knows what he/she is doing,does not run out so quickly to issue a press release without SERIOUS painstaking,reproducible investigations and reports.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Yemlizzy(f): 2:47pm On Oct 25, 2013
Despite all said the only way out is to watch what you eat nd observe good personal hygiene because this days one has to be very careful of little things we may count as nothing you will be shocked to know that cholera is far more deadly than the killer of all diseases-hiv and its of immense importance for us to know that patronising canteens or bukas as they are fondly known as is not just a good idea not knowing the processes and sources of the food eaten there is not just right God bless Nigeria.....beware peeps!
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by gbadexy(m): 2:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
gbanikiti: I thought cholera is a water borne disease? I suspect the contaminated "abacha" is food poisoning and not cholera. I stand to be corrected though.
If contaminated water is used to rinse or clean the fruit and vegetable, then one can be infected since they are consumed raw.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nauttyprof(m): 2:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
Abeg make una enlighten me o.... which one be Abacha again. Honestly, I don't know this African salad that we are discussing on. Any help?
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by whitecat007: 3:04pm On Oct 25, 2013
grin
logica: I guess they mean "abasa"; a Yoruba word meaning "mess".
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by beatricewebb: 3:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
Is cholera worse than HIV?
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by ZUBY77(m): 4:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
Afam4eva:
Where should she be?

She Should be at home in Enugu. That is where my mom lives.
At her age, how does she survive the everyday rushes in Lagos?
Dont ask if i know her age because she should be atleast 20 older than you and you are not less than 30(i may be wrong though)

I doubt she is the head of any corporate org in Lagos since she buys Abacha in Cele every other time.

Start advicing her to move home.
Amechi is being urbanized now.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by jimkramar: 5:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
YES OOOOO :DYES OOOOO
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 6:31pm On Oct 25, 2013
ZUBY77:

Dont ask if i know her age because she should be atleast 20 older than you and you are not less than 30(i may be wrong though)

I doubt she is the head of any corporate org in Lagos since she buys Abacha in Cele every other time.

You are wrong. Lol grin My mum is not old oo. Some people even confuse her for my sister.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
ZUBY77:

grin grin

My folks are enjoying their retirement in the village, fresh veges and cool life. Kids are all grown up, I wonder what they will be doing in the city.

afamever, make she go relax for villa abeg, i can't even survive in lagos talkless of an aged parent
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by satellitedaisy: 7:53pm On Oct 25, 2013
gbanikiti: I thought cholera is a water borne disease? I suspect the contaminated "abacha" is food poisoning and not cholera. I stand to be corrected though.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/mobileart.asp?articlekey=13044&page=2

It can b gotten frm either food or water
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Rossikk(m): 7:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
Chillisauce: Abacha smiley
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1378969_image_jpg0d5b1c4c7f720f698946c7f6ab08f687

We don't normally have all that stuff on top of the Abacha. At most a garden egg or two.

But I can see why you would throw all that in.....perhaps to appeal to new initiates. cool
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by thaoriginator: 7:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
Abeg make dem change dat yeye so-called african sald name to something else other than Abacha- our beloved former military president!
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by ZUBY77(m): 7:59pm On Oct 25, 2013
Chillisauce: grin grin

My folks are enjoying their retirement in the village, fresh veges and cool life. Kids are all grown up, I wonder what they will be doing in the city.

afamever, make she go relax for villa abeg, i can't even survive in lagos talkless of an aged parent
my own mom actually refused to live in anything called city. My sister, my brother and i had tried to convince her but no way.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Rossikk(m): 8:02pm On Oct 25, 2013
tha_originator: Abeg make dem change dat yeye so-called african sald name to something else other than Abacha- our beloved former military president!

The real name for it is Ncha. That is what it is called by the 'wawa' Igbos of Enugu state who invented it over a thousand years ago. It's only other Igbos that call it Abacha. The wawas call the unprepared cassava strips Abacha, not the salad after it's prepared. The salad is what they call 'Ncha'.

One more thing. Although they are spelt the same, they are pronounced differently. The dictator, Abacha, is pronounced A ba cha with the 'ba' featuring a very high pitched A.

The Abacha of salad is pronounced with the 'ba' featuring a very low pitched A, similar to the first and last 'A' as in A..ba..cha.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Permanent Cure To Genital Warts Or Any Skin Tags / 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA / FG To Test 80million Nigerians For HIV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.