Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos (14832 Views)

Cholera Outbreak Claim 20 Lives In Ebonyi / Another Cholera Outbreak Hits Bayelsa State, Death Toll Now 36 / Cholera Outbreak : 74 Confirmed Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 25, 2013
sheniqua: Now you know
I started a thread sometime ago to educate Nigerians on the term food poisoning of course it didn't make front page since there was no dead body involved

Educate yourself and educate others

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/06/26/8-kinds-food-poisoning-know-and-avoid

Nice! cool
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by mkoabiola: 9:38pm On Oct 25, 2013
I do see d woman selling Abacha every evening@cele bstop behind armoured tank.many customers patronise her xpecially d working class.
She sell d Abacha with d biggest bowl ,fishes on dsplay.
Though she do cover d Abacha wit a transparent white nylon.
Am alwys tempted ,but I resist cos my ibo finacee cooks it betta,cos it not appetising to my taste.
I will continue to eat abacha,no matter d .....
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by sheniqua: 9:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
Nauttyprof: Abeg make una enlighten me o.... which one be Abacha again. Honestly, I don't know this African salad that we are discussing on. Any help?

I made this one in America
No Igbo person should laugh o grin
I know it looks poisonous grin but trust me we survived it grin
I had to make do
Didn't have all the right ingredients and the Abacha was dried and had to be soaked
I tried
I didn't even have akanwu
It still tasted ok-ish

Kai I miss my grandma,she was an expert in Abacha and ugba
She will load it with stock fish and dried bushmeat with garden eggs on the side
may her beautiful soul RIP

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by cheche98(f): 11:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
ogugua88: My friend had vegetable soup at a hotel less than two weeks ago. She's had diarrhea, fatigue, loss of appetite, and muscle aches since. She was taking Imodium at first but when to the doctor when no significant relief was noted. They're still doing tests but she said they're suspecting it. It's extremely frightening.

^^^ This. Not eating out in general sef.
food poisoning.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by huntax(m): 11:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
gbanikiti: As long as you are the one preparing it, there are two things involved. Its either you wash the ingredients with dettol or you prepare it like that. If you wash it with dettol,you are safe.If you prepare it like that,there are two things involved.You either contact cholera or you contact malaria. If you contact malaria,you are safe. If you contact cholera,there is only one thing involved. YOU WILL KAPUT!!

grin grin

You are α goat

2 Likes

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by sheniqua: 11:47pm On Oct 25, 2013
I am definitely going to a Nigerian restaurant tomorrow for Abacha
This thread is making me miss home
There is an Igbo woman here that does it right
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by brighter: 11:47pm On Oct 25, 2013
That abacha woman @ Cele is reaaly making lots of sales, I hope this news don't dend her out of business.
Though I have never seen her food as something I can consume becos of delicate nature of abacha
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nobody: 1:52am On Oct 26, 2013
I rinse, and rinse, and rinse my abacha.

Then I follow it with a final rinse of boiling water.

I then set it over low heat to dry while tossing in the other ingredients. After that I leave it to cool for a bit.

Rinsing in hot water does the job of softening it just right, and is more hygienic. No need to soak for me.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Jayboi(m): 5:07am On Oct 26, 2013
Ever since I started eating abacha during my nysc days(abia state), I fell in lov wit d fud. Im even very sure it was frm dis same woman I bought abacha frm d last time I was at lagos(cele/okota) and i enjoyd it.
But, she definitely must av gone careless along d way as to av allowed in contamination. Poor her. I hope d authorities handle her gently.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by carlos1(m): 5:53am On Oct 26, 2013
gbanikiti: I thought cholera is a water borne disease? I suspect the contaminated "abacha" is food poisoning and not cholera. I stand to be corrected though.

Young man! The abacha was soaked with water na to make it soft b4 it was turned into african salad and the consumer probably drink water from the womans water jug after comsuming d abacha. Hope av corrected u?
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Myself2(m): 7:53am On Oct 26, 2013
Now they're eating dead ex heads of state

hmmmm wink wink
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by gratieao: 8:35am On Oct 26, 2013
Cholera is an infectious disease that causes severe watery diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration and even death if untreated. It is caused by eating food or drinking water contaminated with a bacterium called Vibrio cholerae.
People with blood type O more susceptible to severe cholera - researchers from Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard University and the Broad Institute of MIT reported in Science Translational Medicine that people with blood type O are more likely to develop severe cholera.

What are the causes of Cholera? Cholera is a diarrheal illness caused by the bacteria Vibrio cholerae. This species is not endemic to humans, and its presence in the human digestive system is not part of the natural life cycle of the bacteria. Normally found in an estuary ecology, the Vibrio cholerae bacteria life cycle naturally shifts between various reservoir species such as small snails and crustaceans, free-floating planktonic forms and static forms resident in the silt and muck of the estuary.

Vibrio cholera bacteria enter the human ecosystem through a variety of routes. The most common entry is through contaminated food or water. When humans eat seafood--in particular shellfish native to estuary environments such as oysters or crabs--and fail to cook them completely or even eat them raw, they can ingest the large amounts of bacteria necessary to cause a case of cholera.

Poorly cleaned vegetables irrigated by contaminated water sources are another common source. In situations where sanitation is severely challenged, such as in refugee camps or communities with highly limited water resources, a single affected victim can contaminate all water for an entire population
What are the symptoms of Cholera?
A symptom is something the patient senses and describes, while a sign is something other people, such as the doctor notice. For example, drowsiness may be a symptom while dilated pupils may be a sign.

Most infections are not severe, with 75% of infected people not showing any symptoms.

Within 6 hours to 5 days of exposure, symptoms of cholera range from being mild or asymptomatic to severe disease, characterized by huge volumes of explosive watery diarrhea (sometimes called "rice water stools" because of the similarity of appearance to water that has been used to wash rice), vomiting, and leg cramps. Due to rapid loss of fluids up to 20 liters daily, severe dehydration and shock can occur in these individuals.

What are the treatment options for Cholera?
Because death from cholera is a consequence of dehydration, the disease is treated using oral rehydration therapy (ORT), which consists of large volumes of water mixed with a blend of sugar and salts.

Prepackaged mixtures are commercially available, but wide distribution in developing countries is limited by cost. Therefore, homemade ORT recipes using common household ingredients and materials have been developed. Severe cases of cholera require intravenous fluid replacement.
Preventing Cholera
Eat only fruit you have peeled and avoid salads, raw fish and uncooked vegetables. Suspect cholera if you experience symptoms after consuming these foods in high risk countries.

Learn about cholera if you plan to visit a country experiencing an epidemic. Seek medical attention immediately if you experience cholera symptoms such as leg cramps, vomiting and diarrhea while in a community infected with the disease.

When you are in a different place, do not just drink water from any source. As much as possible, carry with you a tumbler or a water container. Make sure that the water you drink is properly boiled to be safe.

Check out the place first before you eat anything. Cholera is a food-borne disease. The bacteria contaminate water and spread via intake. Poorly cooked foods with water contaminated with bacterium will most likely cause cholera.

Avoid eating raw shellfish because this is known to be contaminated with the cholera. Shellfish that thrive on coastal areas are often contaminated. According to the Center for Disease Control, the source of contamination in US cases of cholera is contaminated seafood.

This also applies to vegetables and fruits. When you are in a foreign place and unsure of the sanitation, avoid eating salads and as much as possible, peel the fruits by yourself.

Street foods should be avoided because they are known to cause not only cholera but other diseases as well. The exposure to dust and other contaminants make it unsafe to eat street foods.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by spaq: 9:33am On Oct 26, 2013
Ifedi kaycee:
Abacha a very bad tin??....wat is ur point exactly sef...abeg use d head b4 commenting!

hey, dont u dare insult me Mr.. Dts my opinion n d last tym i check, i'm still entitled to my opinion..
Nxt tym u shld use ur dicck head before insulting pple..
Ode
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 26, 2013
Rossikk:

We don't normally have all that stuff on top of the Abacha. At most a garden egg or two.

But I can see why you would throw all that in.....perhaps to appeal to new initiates. cool

The garden egg leave reduces the purging effect. The potash kinda softens the food in my stomach, the garden egg leaves help reduce the frequency of going to discharge cheesy.
The onion is what I don't like but it's tasty.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by weazley(m): 11:41am On Oct 26, 2013
yaaaaayyy! i know d lady oo, was at cele one time like dat and saw a monsterious crowd gathered round d abacha joint, wen i looked closer i saw a giant bowl of abacha so tempting i salivated imediately, decided to buy some take away and saw d sellers, dey were albinos(no offence o) plus d que i just swallowed spit and changed my mind, thank God for me o, i for de one intensive care unit for general hospital, choi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Follow These Nutrition Tips For A Healthy Heart / Permanent Cure To Genital Warts Or Any Skin Tags / 40% Of Doctors Unemployed In Nigeria — NMA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.