Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,833 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division (2019 Views)

African Countries Secretly Seeking Nigeria's Division / Nigeria's Division Has Started / To End This Boko Haram Onslaught, Gej Should Simply Propose Nigeria's Division (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by ebamma(m): 8:15am On Oct 27, 2013
Ever since president Jonathan talked of a sovereign national conference, there have been many people getting excited that finally the conference could lead to a consensus on nigeria's division into different regions, but am on the opposing side
As a niger deltan i might say finally, we will be rid of this northern and western parasites who get their allocations from our oil revenue and are holding our oil wells hostage, but as a rational man, i know what my fellow niger deltans are capable of,
With the likes of Alams now a pardoned man, James Ibori who will soon finish his jail term in britain, Asari Dokubo, the bearded militant, Ateke Tom, General Boyloaf, Government Ekpemepuolo and other ex governors and ex militants, the niger delta region if divided from nigeria could become the new somalia, were rebels, oil bunkerers, corrupt leaders kidnappers could hold us hostage,
Even now that we are still in nigeria, a local government chairman in the niger delta, owns three ships at sea and is involved in oil bunkering, even traditional rulers are not left out, the attitude of many youths in our region makes me afraid of nigeria's division, the get rich quick mentality, na our oil mentality, we no suppose dey even work sef mentality makes me afraid of what will happen if we secede from nigeria,
Even with the millions the FG pays to ex militants yearly, the are still involved in 50% of bunkering that takes place in the region, as Michael Douglas in the movie Wall street said, ' greed has no end' if we are left alone the greed of our leaders and our people may ruin us.
Though Nigeria was mistake we could not prevent
Atleast Secession is a mistake we can prevent.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by Afam4eva(m): 8:18am On Oct 27, 2013
I've always talked about this myself.
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by SamIkenna: 4:08pm On Oct 27, 2013
Brother, I understand your worries. But the only problem with your worries is that it is capable of holding you hostage or chained to another man's filthy and overbearing influence and domination. I believe all nations are created with everything they need to thrive. No nation was made by God to depend on another nation for food and security. When we depend on others for our livelihood let it be clear that it's because we have failed as a people or nation and we must make haste to stand on our own as soon as possible.

Slaves can never be good slaves unless their identities are completely destroyed and replaced with the master's artificially imposed subservient mentality. Colonial masters used this trick and master-slave practice and dependence on us. I believe it's dangerous for us to use it on ourselves in this day and age. We're humans, we should not be afraid to try. So what's my point - If Niger Delta is actually a nation, a people, like they say they're, then they need not worry too much about the demise of Nigeria. I'm not questioning their nationhood, not at all. I don't care what a people call themselves or how they want to run their affairs, I'm interested in how my own people will thrive and not be a dependent nation.

A people do not and will not break apart. They may drift but eventually will close rank and become who they truly are. Look at Germany, Vietnam, India and Parkistan, Soviets, The Koreas, etc. A nation will always be a nation while a forced nation will never stand a chance. Nigeria does not stand a chance in this life so, in my humble opinion, I think the nations that make up Niger Delta should do their homework rather than pitching their hope/security with Nigeria.

Any nation that fails to survive in the event of the demise of Nigeria does not deserve to live. This is the reason it's better to identify and remove any component of a nation that does not share in the national ideals and culture from the start. By 'remove' I do not suggest genocide rather I advocate that component be on their own and create their own society where they'll be free to pursue their dreams.

Nigeria's current structure does not and will never make any meaninful progress possible. That's my belief and you don't have to hook on it. So, if my assertion that Nigeria is not likely to make any headway is true then where does that leave all the nations that make up Nigeria, Niger Delta inclusive. Are we doomed?

There's an Igbo saying that "when a 'god' becomes arrogant then its time to show it the tree from which it was carved." Nigeria has long been arrogant, prodigious, and wayward so maybe its time to take a break from it.

I have no fears for the peoples of Niger Delta. What they must do is to check if they're about to be another Nigeria in the making. If the answer is yes then chances are they'll kill themselves like you said. To that end I say let nations that make up Niger Delta stay on their own just like God made them and stop creating togetherness that may end up like Somalia.

Remain Blessed.

8 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by Afam4eva(m): 4:09pm On Oct 27, 2013
^^ Spot on
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by atlwireles: 4:15pm On Oct 27, 2013
Look at you people above, Nigerdelta my foot. Please name your state and tribe. Don't play that moronic card here.

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by Joel3(m): 4:25pm On Oct 27, 2013
interesting thread. but @op there are aways advantage and disadvantage to every decision. so you are only spoting on the bad side. anyway it will only result to war when the suppose leader from the niger dalta are looting the wealth for themselve ofcourse this will cause rivaril. but if everything is on fairness. all alocation are disburse to there appoperate channels i dont think there will be need for that. greed is what mostly leed to money crisis or wealth control war
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by EzePromoe: 4:30pm On Oct 27, 2013
That's why I don't want my people to be part of this Hell's gate republic undecided
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by DerideGull(m): 4:32pm On Oct 27, 2013
ebamma: Ever since president Jonathan talked of a sovereign national conference, there have been many people getting excited that finally the conference could lead to a consensus on nigeria's division into different regions, but am on the opposing side
As a niger deltan i might say finally, we will be rid of this northern and western parasites who get their allocations from our oil revenue and are holding our oil wells hostage, but as a rational man, i know what my fellow niger deltans are capable of,
With the likes of Alams now a pardoned man, James Ibori who will soon finish his jail term in britain, Asari Dokubo, the bearded militant, Ateke Tom, General Boyloaf, Government Ekpemepuolo and other ex governors and ex militants, the niger delta region if divided from nigeria could become the new somalia, were rebels, oil bunkerers, corrupt leaders kidnappers could hold us hostage,
Even now that we are still in nigeria, a local government chairman in the niger delta, owns three ships at sea and is involved in oil bunkering, even traditional rulers are not left out, the attitude of many youths in our region makes me afraid of nigeria's division, the get rich quick mentality, na our oil mentality, we no suppose dey even work sef mentality makes me afraid of what will happen if we secede from nigeria,
Even with the millions the FG pays to ex militants yearly, the are still involved in 50% of bunkering that takes place in the region, as Michael Douglas in the movie Wall street said, ' greed has no end' if we are left alone the greed of our leaders and our people may ruin us.
Though Nigeria was mistake we could not prevent
Atleast Secession is a mistake we can prevent.

The moment I read “as a niger deltan”, I stopped reading the crap and concluded the jackass does not fit to be either a citizen of Nigeria or nation state formed after the disintegration of former.

Lack of patriotism set in when a troll tries to avoid who he or she was. I say you are a troll to claim “niger deltan” when idiotic crap does not exist.
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by collynzo2(m): 4:37pm On Oct 27, 2013
@ sam-Ikenna Just check out what you wrote above. The OP raised valid points questioning what Niger delta republic will look like. He raised concerns about corrupt political and traditional leaders, violent and lazy youth, but all you could do was write a long epistle that didn't in anyway address the issues he raised.
So long a post, without any meaning. People amaze me on Nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by IGBOSON1: 4:46pm On Oct 27, 2013
I think the problems and fears the OP enumerated above are 'Nigerian made'! There would have been no rise of the militants (sounds like a good name for a film doesn't it? grin) if all youths have access to a good education; their efforts in school are appreciated and recognised; they have jobs to absorb them after school; if society has a safety net for the less fortunate ones that have fallen on tough times by way of 'welfare' payments and housing; if merit is recognised in society; if healthy competition is encouraged; if you stand an equal chance for employment and school admission as your friend from another part of the country, with no room for educationally disadvantaged nonsense or 'owners of Nigeria' syndrome; and if there's accountability in gov't, with thieves and corrupt officials seen to be punished!

There would also be a near absence of communal and ethnic hostilities and strife b'cos the nation would be made up of peoples that have agreed to come together to live as one, and they would have fashioned out a true 'we the people' constitution that would lay the ground norms for a true equitable and egalitarian society built on the solid values of justice and Christianity!

So you see, there really is nothing to be scared of......provided the nation is allowed to emerge organically and no one is coerced at gunpoint to join in! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by atlwireles: 4:48pm On Oct 27, 2013
collynzo2: @ sam-Ikenna Just check out what you wrote above. The OP raised valid points questioning what Niger delta republic will look like. He raised concerns about corrupt political and traditional leaders, violent and lazy youth, but all you could do was write a long epistle that didn't in anyway address the issues he raised.

Why do people just throw insults around in this freaking country Where in Nigeria are there no corrupt politicians and traditional leaders?? Where do you come off calling the young men and women from the states in the SS /Nigerdelta zone lazy
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by trillville(m): 5:31pm On Oct 27, 2013
IGBO-SON:
I think the problems and fears the OP enumerated above are 'Nigerian made'! There would have been no rise of the militants (sounds like a good name for a film doesn't it? grin) if all youths have access to a good education; their efforts in school are appreciated and recognised; they have jobs to absorb them after school; if society has a safety net for the less fortunate ones that have fallen on tough times by way of 'welfare' payments and housing; if merit is recognised in society; if healthy competition is encouraged; if you stand an equal chance for employment and school admission as your friend from another part of the country, with no room for educationally disadvantaged nonsense or 'owners of Nigeria' syndrome; and if there's accountability in gov't, with thieves and corrupt officials seen to be punished!

There would also be a near absence of communal and ethnic hostilities and strife b'cos the nation would be made up of peoples that have agreed to come together to live as one, and they would have fashioned out a true 'we the people' constitution that would lay the ground norms for a true equitable and egalitarian society built on the solid values of justice and Christianity!

So you see, there really is nothing to be scared of......provided the nation is allowed to emerge organically and no one is coerced at gunpoint to join in! smiley

Do you really think dividing Nigeria will solve any of the problems you just listed? Most people realize that the core north is a major problem bring the rest of the country down, but wouldn't it be smarter to repeal the land use act and install a regional style government with a parliament as proposed by ojukwu in the aburi conference.

If we try to divide this country, another civil war may start. When a regional government is formed, competition between the regions will occur, ensuring that the best in each region rises to the top.

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 27, 2013
The op is not even from the niger delta or southsouth in the first place.he is one of those ijebu garri activist from southwest.
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by SamIkenna: 8:51pm On Oct 27, 2013
collynzo2: @ sam-Ikenna Just check out what you wrote above. The OP raised valid points questioning what Niger delta republic will look like. He raised concerns about corrupt political and traditional leaders, violent and lazy youth, but all you could do was write a long epistle that didn't in anyway address the issues he raised.

There's a popular saying in Igboland that when a grown man is given a proverb with its interpretation, then the dowry his father paid on his mother has been rendered useless.

So bro, the OP said he's from Niger Delta, if he's truely from Niger Delta geographical location then I'ld be shocked if he didn't understand the response I gave which, by the way, was carefully marinated in Eastern Nigerian communication characteristics which sometimes allows us to curve around a subject knowing that the recipient would understand and act appropriately. After all who wants to render his father's expensive dowry useless? Certainly not a grown man from former Eastern Nigeria or Niger Delta. But if you need help with figuring out my "long epistle," I will understand.
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by IGBOSON1: 9:15pm On Oct 27, 2013
trillville:

Do you really think dividing Nigeria will solve any of the problems you just listed? Most people realize that the core north is a major problem bring the rest of the country down, but wouldn't it be smarter to repeal the land use act and install a regional style government with a parliament as proposed by ojukwu in the aburi conference.

If we try to divide this country, another civil war may start. When a regional government is formed, competition between the regions will occur, ensuring that the best in each region rises to the top.

^^^I'm on the same page with you with regards to regional gov'ts with more responsibilities and a weaker centre; as well as resource control (at least 50% in the first instance, and rising up to 80% in 5% yearly increments over 6 years).

But we all know certain peoples will torpedo the plan as soon as it gets to the National Assembly; why else do you think Aburi Accord was chucked in the dustbin on Gowons return, and why the PIB bill is still being delayed?

I've accepted the fact that certain peoples/ethnicities will kick against these proposals, hence i've given up on this country and want out!

As recently as a year ago i was all for 'one Nigeria' and brimming with hope that things would be done right in this country for us to progress to the level we ought to be; but the rose tinted glasses have just fallen off! sad

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by ifyalways(f): 9:16pm On Oct 27, 2013
Sam_Ikenna:

There's a popular saying in Igboland that when a grown man is given a proverb with its interpretation, then the dowry his father paid on his mother has been rendered useless.

So bro, the OP said he's from Niger Delta, if he's truely from Niger Delta geographical location then I'ld be shocked if he didn't understand the response I gave which, by the way, was carefully marinated in Eastern Nigerian communication characteristics which sometimes allows us to curve around a subject knowing that the recipient would understand and act appropriately. After all who wants to render his father's expensive dowry useless? Certainly not a grown man from former Eastern Nigeria or Niger Delta. But if you need help with figuring out my "long epistle," I will understand.
Nkpari etelu powder,otanjele bia tukwasi ya ele-ga-m-face.
Serves him right . Mr goody two shoes. tongue
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by ebamma(m): 12:57am On Oct 28, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^I'm on the same page with you with regards to regional gov'ts with more responsibilities and a weaker centre; as well as resource control (at least 50% in the first instance, and rising up to 80% in 5% yearly increments over 6 years).

But we all know certain peoples will torpedo the plan as soon as it gets to the National Assembly; why else do you think Aburi Accord was chucked in the dustbin on Gowons return, and why the PIB bill is still being delayed?

I've accepted the fact that certain peoples/ethnicities will kick against these proposals, hence i've given up on this country and want out!

As recently as a year ago i was all for 'one Nigeria' and brimming with hope that things would be done right in this country for us to progress to the level we ought to be; but the rose tinted glasses have just fallen off! sad
division will not end corruption, that's what many dont understand, advocates of division, just want to carve up a region so that the can become lords and steal alone without outside competition

2 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by IGBOSON1: 1:46am On Oct 28, 2013
ebamma: division will not end corruption, that's what many dont understand, advocates of division, just want to carve up a region so that the can become lords and steal alone without outside competition

^^^Whoever said division would end corruption? My point is that the level of corruption would be drastically reduced to tolerable levels as any corrupt person would have to answer to his/her people......not having the 'Abuja' escape route as is presently the case. The people in turn would have a sense of ownership of public funds arising from a shared sense of nationhood and genuine love for their country, and this would make them more eager to hold public officials accountable for any funds they control.

Besides, credible people would be elected into office without interference from Abuja; which has been the case with some states like Anambra (OBJ, GEJ and PDP being the main culprits).

I noticed you've not addressed the issue i raised about some people not wanting the status-quo to change.
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by bloggernaija: 2:08am On Oct 28, 2013
You already have all the elements of a failed nation.
All those resource control nonsense is what it is ;nonsense even under a regional structure.
There is no way we are going back to the 1960 when the east and the north ganged up against the SW and the minorities using the power of the purse ,security and the judiciary.
Ordinary ibori became an emperor/kingmaker under the 16% derivation .
Akpabio is behaving like obongo of Equatorial Guinea with the same percentage.
What will happen if this gets jacked up to 50% or above.
A confederation or better still ,outright partition without any political links is what the SW wants.
MAKE EVERYBODY CARRY THEIR LOAD WAKA.
Government elsewhere earn their keeps via taxes and consumption.
No problem there.
KEEP 100% of your oil money and goodbye
IT WAS NICE KNOWING YOU
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:39am On Nov 14, 2013
Looking
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by DerideGull(m): 1:09am On Nov 14, 2013
ebamma: division will not end corruption, that's what many dont understand, advocates of division, just want to carve up a region so that the can become lords and steal alone without outside competition

You neither seem fit to steal alone nor steal with outside competition. So I suggest you shot your putrid mouth and allow people capable of competing to perform the biding.
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by IdomaLikita: 7:05am On Nov 14, 2013
OP raises Valid Points, DerideGull & IGBOSON swoop in and call him a Traitor!

Deridegull & Igboson are not Niger-Deltans
Ebamma is!
Yet Deridegull & Igboson believe they are better acquainted with ND Problems & Solutions than Ebamma who wears the Shoes!

One Question though, What has your Region done locally to Checkmate Corruption? The T.A Orjis, Uzor Kalus, Osita Izunasor, Stella Oduah etc still hold you to ransom yet you can't do poo about it, and you dare profer solutions to problems affecting the ND!

Only the SW have the Right to Demand Secession because they have demonstrated the Will and Political Maturity to Survive as a Nation!
They have carved out a wonderfully progressive niche for themselves in the Cesspit of Corruption simply by rejecting its agents!

They refuse to allow the Central Govt drag them back! And today, they are lightyears ahead of all other regions in political maturity!

The SE is worst! Because despite the Ethnic Homogeneity which confers additional advantage in regional reformation, its still the most politically immature part of nigeria!

Unity & Secession are matters of politics, the intricacies aren't what I wanna discuss here!
So far, put your house in order before announcing to the world that d central Govt is dragging you back! Afterall, your brothers and sisters are still part of the central govt!

Goodmorning Sirs!

2 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by seunfly: 7:47am On Nov 14, 2013
The best thing we can do is to demand for proper fedralism, resources control and degravitation of central governments.
The truth is that people who are wishing for d division of the country have hidden agenda and most of them are not from Niger delta. Infact most Niger deltans i have come accross just want a fair share of their resources and their enviroment cleaned up.
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by omiobo: 7:57am On Nov 14, 2013
It is true that if Nigeria should divide,Niger delta will experience serious set back. Crime will take over their region.
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by Kponkwem(m): 9:15am On Nov 14, 2013
The Igbo speaking areas of the Niger Delta must be allowed a referendum to decide where the choose to belong. Several Ohaneze chieftains are from Delta(Achuzia, Uwechue, Utomi) and Rivers(Ellah, late Nwuche)C/River. They deserve to know where they belong. Whatever is left could sort out themselves in the ND republic!

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by delvinmaya(m): 10:32am On Nov 14, 2013
seeing people discuss the state of the country and its solution makes me laugh. Please for a serious analysis, peeps shud indicate and let us jaw jaw, and not throw insults or be bigotd. Just indicate and i will engage you intellectually
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by Nobody: 10:42am On Nov 14, 2013
I cannot find any rational argument for Nigeria's continued existence.
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by dasparrow: 11:49am On Nov 14, 2013
jerseyboy: I cannot find any rational argument for Nigeria's continued existence.

You are not alone, neither can I. I wish the country will be peacefully divided because Nigerians are not even united to begin with.
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by juman(m): 11:59am On Nov 14, 2013
To hell with one nigeria.
Re: Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division by onyeokwu: 12:51pm On Nov 14, 2013
why is it that when it comes to se/ss isuses the outsiders from these zone will lump ss igbos as a different people from igbos of se
but when its comes to ne/nw they are all hausa/funali they all one north or arewa what a hypocrisy?

what is actually wrong with yoraba people?
for there information ss or whatever they call themselves Niger delta or what ever can go with them to the Oduduwa for all i care we dont even need them in our country biafra we dont want to build a country with lazy mofos

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Will Resign If Jonathan Did Not Seek Re-election-gulak / Muslim, Christians Must Come Together To End Insurgency - Kwankwaso / Who Blinded Prof. Ambrose Ali And Ayo Ojewumi?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.