Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,314 members, 7,822,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? (5835 Views)

Going To The West To Beg As Victims Can't Solve Our Problems - Okonji-Iweala / For Those Blaming Nnadi Kanu And IPOB For Dividing Nigeria / 5000 Naira Notes: The Solution To Our Problems? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 2:19pm On Oct 27, 2013
I have followed with interest the intrigues that surround the call for a Sovereign or Non sovereign National Conference.
Many have argued that 1914 amalgamation was a big mistake while others maintain that our strength is in our number.
I think we need to be informed before taking a stand so as not to join the bandwagon driven by sentiments, greed, avarice and struggle for political control by few individuals.
Let me start with the Niger Deltans. They believe they have been marginalized and their resources forcefully taken over from them to develop Nigeria and so on but I have these thoughts for them:
1. Their leaders have received derivation fund for years, what exactly has those
Niger deltan sons done with that fund to benefit the people of region?
All the compensation money from oil companies, has it being used to better the life of the people or to provide basic infrastructure?
2. The NDDC is manned by Niger deltans, yet their eyes and ears are closed to the suffering of their people. The leadership instead loot funds meant for development and enrich their cronies and immediate families.
3. The president is from Niger delta. Has he done enough to empower his people asides paying millions of dollars to an ex militant to secure pipelines which MEND claims to destroy thereby polluting the communal lands and waters more.

Now fast forward to a divided Nigeria, are these same people looting the region dry not the ones that will be the leaders then? What would they do differently? Will they suddenly become humane? I doubt so.
Will the ijaws not want to be in charge? Will the Urhobos and Itshekiris oblige them? Will the Kalabaris and Isokos tag along? Will the division that chased them
from Nigeria not tear them apart?

I really want objective input from well meaning Nigerians for or against division so as to know the real situation on ground before we embark on this journey of no return.

I'll be right back with more.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by badmeat(m): 2:23pm On Oct 27, 2013
It will solve our problems wella

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 2:35pm On Oct 27, 2013
bad meat: It will solve our problems wella

How? I really want facts of proof. This is am enlightenment thread where we should educate ourselves.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by oilsuop: 2:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
it will not solve any problem look at south sudan the new country is now suffering from corupt leadership the common man is suffering while their ministers are buying big cars and 5 houses each sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by skyscraperTM(m): 2:56pm On Oct 27, 2013
It will not solve the problem because the problem itself are Nigerians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by cjrane: 3:00pm On Oct 27, 2013
Nigeria should remain UNITED at all costs.

The only thing is that i implore ALL Nigerians to learn from the yorubas how to vote only their own people and should never allow their resources to be spent in other lands under the guise of building a commercial or administrative or political capital.

Nigeria is a land where a few have perfected the art of cheating others using bogus excuses and any attempt to make the country a little more equitable is furious resisted by the cheaters.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by UyiIredia(m): 3:13pm On Oct 27, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
It will not solve the problem because the problem itself are Nigerians.

I agree. While I am certainly not naïve that a parliamentary system is the magic wand that solves our problems I believe the solution to Nigeria's problem MUST involve a reversion to that system_a true federal system as it was in the First Republic. Where the states fashion out their funds and solve their problems whilst donating to a centre that serves their common interests. This overbloated and ineficient over-centralized 'federal' government aristocracy will lead us nowhere.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by omiobo: 3:22pm On Oct 27, 2013
There is no better way to solve the problems of this nation than to go our separate ways. I believe so much in my tribe that we will succeed on our own. Nigeria is beyond repair. All we need right now is that every region should stick to its region.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by DerideGull(m): 3:39pm On Oct 27, 2013
iphy42: I have followed with interest the intrigues that surround the call for a Sovereign or Non sovereign National Conference.
Many have argued that 1914 amalgamation was a big mistake while others maintain that our strength is in our number.
I think we need to be informed before taking a stand so as not to join the bandwagon driven by sentiments, greed, avarice and struggle for political control by few individuals.
Let me start with the Niger Deltans. They believe they have been marginalized and their resources forcefully taken over from them to develop Nigeria and so on but I have these thoughts for them:
1. Their leaders have received derivation fund for years, what exactly has those
Niger deltan sons done with that fund to benefit the people of region?
All the compensation money from oil companies, has it being used to better the life of the people or to provide basic infrastructure?
2. The NDDC is manned by Niger deltans, yet their eyes and ears are closed to the suffering of their people. The leadership instead loot funds meant for development and enrich their cronies and immediate families.
3. The president is from Niger delta. Has he done enough to empower his people asides paying millions of dollars to an ex militant to secure pipelines which MEND claims to destroy thereby polluting the communal lands and waters more.

Now fast forward to a divided Nigeria, are these same people looting the region dry not the ones that will be the leaders then? What would they do differently? Will they suddenly become humane? I doubt so.
Will the ijaws not want to be in charge? Will the Urhobos and Itshekiris oblige them? Will the Kalabaris and Isokos tag along? Will the division that chased them
from Nigeria not tear them apart?

I really want objective input from well meaning Nigerians for or against division so as to know the real situation on ground before we embark on this journey of no return.

I'll be right back with more.

It will solve the most problems associated with Nigeria and, at least, the damn country will cease to exist. The development will explode across the terrain once known as Nigeria because its disintegration will engender genuine competition and encourage mutual cooperation among the nation states with similar ideology.

If Republic of Igbo is lagging behind Republic of Oodua due to incompetent leadership, the citizen of Republic of Igbo will just throw out the bad leaders and bring people who can raise them to the par to mutually challenge the achievements of Republic of Oodua and vis-à-vis. This scenario could be found between Islamic Republic of Sokoto Caliphate, Republic of MiddleBelt, Islamic Republic of Kanuri Caliphate, etc.

Nigeria is suffering from lack of patriotism which stems from conflicting incentives due to differences in culture and tradition of the inhabitants. Other than the word-Nigeria and the amalgamation the colonialists hung on our necks, there is nothing binding Nigerians together. When few Nigerians saw the ills of the first government in Nigeria and they attempted to nib it on the bud, the actions of the few Nigerians were quickly turned into tribal thing hence the civil war.

This single instance has set the stage for perpetual looting in Nigeria because any move to stop looting candidates shall be quickly regarded as tribally biased lynching. In addition, Nigerians are silly pretenders who will tend to look the other way when a person of their stock is involved in the looting and shout like drunken donkey when the looter is not a person from their stock.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 27, 2013
Take it or leave it, IMHO, I dont believe seccession will help this country. Let take a look at U.S.A and U.K. Southern U.S.A. had once separated from U.S.A. and likewise scotland, wales and northern ireland were once separated. Now, we have U.S.A and U.K. What i see common to these two countries is not separation of the country itself but rather seperation of power (division of labour). F.G doesnt have to be the one to control all resources, i implore us to revert back to true federalism, by so doin, each region will compete to make its region the best under the umbrella of a United Nigerian States......shikena.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by oilykid(m): 4:48pm On Oct 27, 2013
only those who corrupt politicians who are stil gainin frm dis union wnts nig to remain united bt inside them they hate each themselves..an average nigerian man on d strit lk me wnts nig to divide,so dt everybody wil answer him papas life.no sane person wnts remain in a country wil terrorists ar wastin helpless souls wit impunity
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Ferdinandu(m): 5:19pm On Oct 27, 2013
Though i hate the ethnic and religious bigotry apparent in our lives as Nigerians which was a result of amalgation and having a self seeking and corrupt politicians who never cease to use any opportunity to gain relevance by reminding the gullible people that one tribe is trying to dominate the other.The North and South has come to be interdependent on each other.Staying together as country with people with different mindset from what we have now, where personal advancement and freedom at any part of the country within the confines of rule of law is paramount.Splitting Nigeria will only solve 10% of the problem any region think it is having but at the same time adding another 25% more problem.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Kponkwem(m): 6:09pm On Oct 27, 2013
While I do not support division of Nigeria, I support regional-type demarcation of decentralisation of power.

Division will create troubles for non homogenous regions. New 'majorities' will seek to lord it over the rest and mutual distrust worse than Nigeria.

The Igbo, who are the biggest investor in Nigeria, will lose their investments in Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Kaduna, Jos, Ibadan, Yola, etc. These investments range from landed properties, estates, real sector industries, banks, hotels and gardens, shopping plazas and malls, open market shops, equity stocks, private schools, ships, aviation, publsihing and printing companies, goods assembly plants etc.

Howeve, regional autonomies will put peoples in charge of their destinies. New resources will be identified and harnessed for the greater good of the majority and leaders will easily be held accountable. Accusations of tribalism will reduce because any policy will be seen to affect your own people not others.

One area that lends credence to need for true federalism is the Police. The high rate of crime is deepened by lack of home-grown or police of the component parts - this is why in a centralised-occupatiopn force-police crime are ignored by non indegenous personnel with the comment: 'Abeg make them finish themselves na dem dem'.
My people this is the real problem with Nigeria: No one believes in the country; its turn by turn, dog eat dog approach. Nigeria will not develop this way.

Let us decentralise now..
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 27, 2013
Division is the solution to nigerias problems.the root of nigerias problems can be traced to the foundations of nigerias problems.when nigeria is divided,the yorubas can go with the portion of nigerias problems which they created and nurtured,the hausa and fulani will also go with their portion of the problems created and nurtured by them,so also the Igbo,the ijaw,the ibibio,the berom and all other tribes will go with the problems created and nurtured by each of them.when the yorubas are on their own,they can condone ritualist,cronic tribalism,financial fraud,drug trafficing if they wish,the problem is for them to embrace or fight against.so also the Igbo can embrace kidnapping,drug trafficking or tackle it head on,the hausa and fulani can embrace child marriage or outlaw it,the hausa and fulani can also set aside 90 percent of their yearly budget to building mosques and sponsoring terrorist groups,bombing schools,or outlawing western education,that is their problem as long as they don't export terrorism.the tribes in akwa ibom have this child ''witchcraft'' problem,the bini have prostitution problem just like other tribes though the problem is more serious with the bini.every tribe brings one problem or the other to the table,so dividing this country ensures each tribe keeps the problems they create to themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 27, 2013
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by musiwa112: 6:54pm On Oct 27, 2013
breaking nigeria up is best for the people of nigeria. i do not know about your pocket. there was no amalgamation in 1914.

Western Nigeria because an independent sovereign country 15th November 1956.

There is nothing call niger delta. just a govt commission , but people are illiterate in nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5595ejgxWVo

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 27, 2013
Nigeria needs to be restructured into strong regions with a weak centre. And secession clause must be included to allow any region that want to leave to leave.

1.Each region must control its resources and only pay 10-15% tax to Federal government.
2.Each region must control its police force. (We can also have federal police mostly for special assignments etc)
3.There must be a central army but it should be written in the constitution that any announcement of coup is an automatic balkanisation of the country.
4. There must be a genuine census backed by a robust biometric database. Such census should contain important demographic variables-ethnicity, religion etc. Also, we should do away with nebulous stuff like "Hausa-Fulani". Count Hausa as Hausa and Fulani as Fulani, like the way we have been counting Igbo as Igbo, Idoma as Idoma and Yoruba as Yoruba etc.
5. Secularism must not just be agreed upon, it must be respected.
6. Each region should have its own constitution and should have exclusive right to create provinces/states according to dictates of such constitution.
7.There should be a supreme court to treat appeals emanating from regions and to adjudicate on issues between two regions or region vs Federal government.

If we can't do this, we should just go our separate ways.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by nduchucks: 7:23pm On Oct 27, 2013
If you people are serious, you'd organize and commission a survey of ordinary Nigerians who make up the moral majority. We all know the answer to your question when the elite Nigerians with the capabilities to access NL, answer the question. I wouldn't put my money on rable rousers and internet warriors like, say, Shymexx, to organize a doggone thing, however. I know, cheap shot. cheesy
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by EzePromoe: 7:28pm On Oct 27, 2013
Nigeria can't break up, not now that it is moving towards greatness.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Afam4eva(m): 7:30pm On Oct 27, 2013
Dividing Nigeria will solve some problems and not all problems.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 27, 2013
Eze Promoe: Nigeria can't break up, not now that it is moving towards greatness.

I agree with you. grin grin grin grin

Any region that's wise in Nigeria today should have contingency plans because the handwriting is already on the wall. What's needed is just a spark and the rest will become history.

If we don't restructure Nigeria to a loose federation, it will collapse.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by musiwa112: 7:38pm On Oct 27, 2013
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 27, 2013
ndu_chucks: If you people are serious, you'd organize and commission a survey of ordinary Nigerians who make up the moral majority. We all know the answer to your question when the elite Nigerians with the capabilities to access NL, answer the question. I wouldn't put my money on rable rousers and internet warriors like, say, Shymexx, to organize a doggone thing, however. I know, cheap shot. cheesy

Well, if you actually took time out to do the survey objectively by judging based on the consciousness of ordinary Nigerians - and stop posting based on what you're paid for to do. You would know that ordinary Nigerians are tired of Nigeria and they all align with their identity/ethnicity, rather than the Nigerian nationality. Suffice to say most prefer disintegration but just don't know how to go about it.

Exhibit 1: ordinary Nigerians would rather vote en masse for someone they share the same/similar ethnicity with rather than some from the other side e.g. GEJ, Buhari etc. regardless of how qualified/unqualified the person is.

Exhibit 2 : any attack whatsoever on elected/public officials from their ethnic group (regardless of the crime(s) the person commits) from opposing groups is seen as an attack on them. We can cite gazillion of examples to buttress this exhibit. Hence why the elites are always quick to hide behind their ethnicity whenever they're guilty of any crime.

Exhibit 3: ordinary Nigerians are territorial and they abhor people from opposing ethnicities laying claims to what they see as their own.

Exhibit 4: ordinary Nigerians would rather be around, or marry people from the same ethnicity - than opposite groups.

That's how you do a proper survey. Ponder on that and use your brain cells!

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by nduchucks: 7:53pm On Oct 27, 2013
shymexx:

Well, if you actually took time out to do the survey objectively by judging based on the consciousness of ordinary Nigerians - and stop posting based on what you're paid for to do. You would know that ordinary Nigerians are tired of Nigeria and they all align with their identity/ethnicity, rather than the Nigerian nationality. Suffice to say most prefer disintegration but just don't know how to go about it.

Exhibit 1: ordinary Nigerians would rather vote en masse for someone they share the same/similar ethnicity with rather than some from the other side e.g. GEJ, Buhari etc. regardless of how qualified/unqualified the person is.

Exhibit 2 : any attack whatsoever on elected/public officials from their ethnic group (regardless of the crime(s) the person commits) from opposing groups is seen as an attack on them. We can cite gazillion of examples to buttress this exhibit. Hence why the elites are always quick to hide behind their ethnicity whenever they're guilty of any crime.

Exhibit 3: ordinary Nigerians are territorial and they abhor people from opposing ethnicities laying claims to what they see as their own.

Exhibit 4: ordinary Nigerians would rather be around, or marry people from the same ethnicity - than opposite groups.

That's how you do a proper survey. Ponder on that and use your brain cells!

A can assure you that you are one of the elite Nigerians. Your frame of reference is too narrow. Everything you itemized above applies to the oyibo people who are your idols in the UK. Think about it.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 27, 2013
ndu_chucks:

A can assure you that you are one of the elite Nigerians. Your frame of reference is too narrow. Everything you itemized above applies to the oyibo people who are your idols in the UK. Think about it.

On, yeah? Igbo's are already all over the internet about the aviation minister, crying and whining like they're notorious for. They should stay on the internet and move to protests in their homoerotic skirts and hand-bags for the next few weeks. However, we all know they can't hurt a fly - but they'll keep crying till they can't cry anymore. grin

Your Northerners are going to get busy soon and do what they do best. Maiming, killing, burning and destroying everything when they don't get their way.

Ijaw youths are in the trenches waiting patiently to strike.

Yoruba's are studying and monitoring everything closely, to see the right justification to go all out.

The whole country is on a powder keg, waiting to explode. Time will tell.

Back to my NFL game! cool

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 8:14pm On Oct 27, 2013
Anything to separate me from yoruba people can only be a good thing.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 27, 2013
I trust Igbo ppl to make it in their new country.
A country that will be known for its advances in Education, Industrialization, Sports, L iterature, Science and Technology, Entertainment, Entrepreneurship skills,etc while fighting kidnappings and low attitude to agriculture.

Anyway, true federalism is not a bad idea too. Anything that will make the north to limit their problems to themselves alone. Yorubas too.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by DerideGull(m): 11:32pm On Oct 27, 2013
shymexx:

On, yeah? Igbo's are already all over the internet about the aviation minister, crying and whining like they're notorious for. They should stay on the internet and move to protests in their homoerotic skirts and hand-bags for the next few weeks. However, we all know they can't hurt a fly - but they'll keep crying till they can't cry anymore. grin

Your Northerners are going to get busy soon and do what they do best. Maiming, killing, burning and destroying everything when they don't get their way.

Ijaw youths are in the trenches waiting patiently to strike.

Yoruba's are studying and monitoring everything closely, to see the right justification to go all out.

The whole country is on a powder keg, waiting to explode. Time will tell.

Back to my NFL game! cool

One of the problems in Nigeria lies with loudmouth inherently found among certain group in Nigeria. In today’s Nigeria, only on tribe has shown the capability to fight a protracted war without help from the outsiders.
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
DerideGull:
One of the problems in Nigeria lies with loudmouth inherently found among certain group in Nigeria. In today’s Nigeria, only on tribe has shown the capability to fight a protracted war without help from the outsiders.

When is the next ultimatum?

Ooops, I forgot - World Youth Forum (whatever the fecky fvck that means) just issued another one: https://www.nairaland.com/1495161/global-youth-forum-shutdown-all

Bwahahahahahahaha

I can't deal!!! grin

Done with nl for the day!!

Out to other things! cool

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Oct 27, 2013
The topic seemed interesting to me, and I immediately had a clear opinion I wanted to express. . .until I read the NONSENSE the OP spewed. What rubbish!

What does it matter to you (OP) that the Niger Delta supposedly mismanages its own 'oyel' resources? How does that make any difference to the unity or secession debate? Is it not better for a man to lavish his own inherited wealth, than to have unproductive parasites reduce his 'ration' and deprive him of his patrimony?

Look, if you are serious about this topic, modify your post and remove the SENSELESS Niger-Delta bashing examples you cited. It seems you are an Aboki that cannot live without Niger Delta oil. Niger Delta oil is not the problem. ABOKI uselessness is the problem. Truth be told, in spite of the empty noise we make on NL, the rest of Nigeria can and will live together in unity WITHOUT the core Aboki north. Only the Aboki north would be reduced to nothingness if Nigeria divides. Igbo would thrive, Yoruba would thrive, South South would find a way to overcome their fraticidal wahala (Ijaw versus Itsekiri vs Urhobo bla bla) and manage their oil wealth, Middle Belt would survive. . . .. . .the entire south plus the Middle Belt will all live together and cooperate because each has something to offer to the other, and most importantly, are all socially compatible.

Only the useless, unproductive, and Islamically fanatical core north would become as wretched as their brothers in Chad and Niger Republic. No wonder they can't do without Niger Delta 'oyel'.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by CircleOfWilis: 1:27am On Oct 28, 2013
one najeria
Re: Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? by iphy42: 9:22pm On Oct 28, 2013
The biggest asset the Yorubas have is Lagos. Lagos is a conglomeration of diverse ethnicities and If Nigeria divides, the population of Lagos will reduce drastically together with it's influence. Investors will also dwindle.
Some States in the west will want to claim the Oodua capital and this will bring about serious division coupled with how leadership will emerge.
Foodstuffs brought in from other parts of Nigeria will be expensive especially meat and beans.
I do not forsee the Yorubas wanting to break Lagos which is already bribing development to other parts of the West.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How We Will Give Jonathan The “malawi” Treatment In 2015 – Kwankwaso / 10 Shocking Fact About North Korea That Makes The Whole World Hate Them. / Nigeria Spends N8.4b To Feed Inmates On Awaiting Trial Yearly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.