Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,891 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? (35232 Views)

Building On Swamp, How Do I Go, Raft Or Pile? / PILE FOUNDATION FOR TERRACE BUILDING AT LEKKI / Cost For A Raft Foundation With German Floor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by ABAKA72(m): 4:57am On Nov 01, 2013
Reference:

You are wrong. There is no given length for piles. They can be as short as necessary and no they don't have to reach bearing strata. You can pile just to densify the soil.
No Sir, you are the one wrong. The besic requirement for pile foundation is to reach firm strata of the soil in an area with a very low load bearing capacity, especially with large building structures period. any body that says any other thing besides this has just exposed his ignorance concerning this issue.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by ABAKA72(m): 5:10am On Nov 01, 2013
Rashzubair:

The essence of using Pile is not only/always to reach a bearing strata, some piles are held by friction exerted around it as it goes dipper into the ground, the frictional force will be so strong enough to support the pile just as a bearing strata would.
you are right @Rashzubair, but the friction pile must go deep enough to generate the required amount of friction to bear the load of a structure. the key word here is" DEEPER" it must be deep enough to generate friction, so the dipper area is what is call bearing strata.

1 Like

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Nobody: 5:12am On Nov 01, 2013
I will start with my favorite engineer quote. " Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not understand wholly, into shape we cannot precisely analyse, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, this in such a way the public and (hopefully) the customer has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance - Structural Modelling and Analysis by Arthur T. Murphy (Structural Engineer)

In essence, sometimes what will work for you engineering wise can only be 100% guaranteed when it is actually in operation and working.
Raft may work. Even pile may work. I work with some of the most brilliant structural engineers in Lagos and though I'm still quite young in the profession, I have picked up some very useful experience from them. Sometimes your solution to your engineering problem is not far fetched.

1. Ask around the close neighbors. Perhaps there is a neighbour with a similar structure like you want to put up. What kind of foundation did the engineer use? How did it perform? How many years as the building be standing? Did it settle over time? If Yes, was the settlement excessive. But also note that from Highway Research, it is has been proven that soil can exhibit entirely different characteristics for every two metres. Two metres is very short so asking neighbors is jst a first step.
2. I believe your property is in a choice area and fairly large. It would make most economical sense to do a soil test. Perhaps you have not seen an excessively settled building before. You will lose times ten more if that should happen.
3.Usually the engineering geologist who does the soil test will recommend foundation types that can be used and it is from this info these that you will establish whether you can use raft or pile. But since it's just a storey building (I'm hoping by a storey you mean a building having only the ground floor which is actually the right representation), I will most likely be looking at a raft and beam foundation.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by ABAKA72(m): 5:36am On Nov 01, 2013
adanny01: It is not your responsibility or anyone for that matter, other than the Geotechnical/Foundation engineer to carry out the geotechnical investigation, recommend type of foundation and design the foundation. In my opinion, it will likely not be a pile foundation but rather a raft for the type of structure you require. Also note that the test required is geotechnical not geological, geophysical or whatever.

What i will do is to give you the order of professionals you will be meeting. Make sure that 3 and 4 are reputable and registered with NSE, COREN or any other recognized professional bodies.

1. Land Surveyor - he will give you the coordinates of your property boundaries for site plan/layout as well as elevations for site drainage design.
2. Architect - he will produce pictorial designs of the structure
3. Civil/Structural engineer - he will analyze and design structural elements for the stability of the building and determine total looad that will be transmitted to the ground from the building weight and all possible loading due to human activity that the building will be subjected to during its life.
4. Geotechnical/foundation engineer - he will test for the soil bearing capacity and design foundation to bear the loads expected from the superstructure.
5. Quantity surveyor - he will determine all quantities of materials required for the completion of the building project and the current market price for such materials and ultimately arriving at a total expected cost of project.
6. Contractor/Building engineer - he shall be responsible for construction of the building under the supervision of the Foundation and civil engineer.':

Also note that, mechanical and electrical designs may be required before the civil engineer carries out his design in cases where a mechanical or electrical equipment with certain weight and vibration is to be used especially on the superstructure. An example is a central cooling system sometimes pla"ced on roof slabs.
Oga sir, you are wrong in no 2. Architects do not produce pictoral designs but detailed functional housing designs( detail working drawings) upon which every other drawings or work ( structural, electrical, mechanical, QS, contractors etc) depends and that is why he is called the prime consultant and the leader of the building team in any building project. an Architect is not a prime cosultant in projects such as roads, bridges, dams etc those areas are for the engineers. So don't misinform people.

1 Like

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by ABAKA72(m): 5:48am On Nov 01, 2013
SIR BANYE: I am a civil engineer, in my years of practise, i ve never heard or seen anyone use pile foundation for a single storey building. No matter how bad the soil is, raft is best recommended. I always advice clients building in very swampy area that are not too sure of the soil bearing capacity to the soil replacement. Soil replacement is done by replacing the top soil of your land with solid sharp sand to a depth of about 2m, depending on how poor your soil is. Upon doing soil replacement, a proper compaction must be done. After which you can use a properly reinforced raft of about 1m for your foundation. Soil replacement is the guaranteed way to improve your soil irrespective of how poor it is. This way i can guarantee you of a stable structure free from sinking or foundation tear. You can contact me on udoka.banye@yahoo.com for further advice
You are 100% right, it sounds funny when people recomend pile foundation for a storey buiding on a poor bearing soil, that is a misnormer. the required foundation type for this building project is raft foundation. @Op, try carry out a soil test and get a sound structural engineer to design a raft foundation fo you.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Fadelex(m): 6:49am On Nov 01, 2013
ABAKA72: Oga sir, you are wrong in no 2. Architects do not produce pictoral designs but detailed functional housing designs( detail working drawings) upon which every other drawings or work ( structural, electrical, mechanical, QS, contractors etc) depends and that is why he is called the prime consultant and the leader of the building team in any building project. an Architect is not a prime cosultant in projects such as roads, bridges, dams etc those areas are for the engineers. So don't misinform people.
correct, and a builder don't work under d supervision of foundation or civil engineer... the only person empowered to check d work of a builder is an architect and this is to ensure there is conformity with the specifications in d schematic drawing.... and by the time Building Code is passed into law, everybody will definitely know where they stand cuz there seems to be clash of duties presently in d industry
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Abenoty: 7:17am On Nov 01, 2013
My dear,pls,rule off the option of pile foundation.a good raft foundation by a structural engineer is ok.you must not conduct soil test..(Tylcloz Global Ltd) does it better than any other person.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by opalu: 7:37am On Nov 01, 2013
SIR BANYE: I am a civil engineer, in my years of practise, i ve never heard or seen anyone use pile foundation for a single storey building. No matter how bad the soil is, raft is best recommended. I always advice clients building in very swampy area that are not too sure of the soil bearing capacity to the soil replacement. Soil replacement is done by replacing the top soil of your land with solid sharp sand to a depth of about 2m, depending on how poor your soil is. Upon doing soil replacement, a proper compaction must be done. After which you can use a properly reinforced raft of about 1m for your foundation. Soil replacement is the guaranteed way to improve your soil irrespective of how poor it is. This way i can guarantee you of a stable structure free from sinking or foundation tear. You can contact me on udoka.banye@yahoo.com for further advice

We all learn every day. However for you †̥☺ say that since you have never done, heard or seen a pile foundation for 1 storey building means it can't be done or not being done means you don't want †̥☺ open up for new ideas.
I have done a comprehensive analysis fo r a particular site comparing the cost of piling †̥☺ that of soil replacement. I discovered that the cost of replacing the soil plus thick raft was higher than piles of 450mm dia which were required. The earth behaves funny and I've seen where replaced soil settled considerable †̥☺ make the building unfit for usage and marked for demolition. I still use the method if it is the best and most economical for that particular site!
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by lyvin: 7:41am On Nov 01, 2013
What is the difference between
Manual Pilling and Machine Pilling
i was once told that machine plling is expensive so manual pilling is done most times
i suspect manual type is an improvised method which may not be standard enough for the job thus may lead to failure.

Pls throw more light on these if your are knowledgeable in pilling types
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by opalu: 7:50am On Nov 01, 2013
kkonsults: Get a soil test done, and also get a sound COREN certified Structural Engineer to do the drawings for you based on the report of the soil test.
NO AMOUNT OF MONEY IS TOO MUCH for a SOUND FOUNDATION so as to enjoy your house.

Pile foundation is always the ultimate foundation solution, even if its a storey building.
A lot of houses in Akoka, Yaba which employed Raft are now TILTING, as well as some areas in Sabo.
Take Professional advice from Senior people here who have Experience in construction.

Goodluck to you,

Kkonsults.

God bless U̶̲̥̅̊ for this esp that part in capital letter and Yaba part!
I love all types of foundation equally however the one I use for any site is strictly based on the longterm safety and cost of construction (Ђ☺w economical). Ofcourse safety comes before cost.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Fadelex(m): 7:55am On Nov 01, 2013
lyvin: What is the difference between
i was once told that machine plling is expensive so manual pilling is done most times
i suspect manual type is an improvised method which may not be standard enough for the job thus may lead to failure.

manual piling is used for short piles i.e where d bearing strata is not more than 1.2m to d top soil, it requires use of smaller tools.... while machine piling is the use of mechanical equipment to drive d pile to d ground... usually from 1.5m to 3m.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 01, 2013
opalu:

We all learn every day. However for you †̥☺ say that since you have never done, heard or seen a pile foundation for 1 storey building means it can't be done or not being done means you don't want †̥☺ open up for new ideas.
I have done a comprehensive analysis fo r a particular site comparing the cost of piling †̥☺ that of soil replacement. I discovered that the cost of replacing the soil plus thick raft was higher than piles of 450mm dia which were required. The earth behaves funny and I've seen where replaced soil settled considerable †̥☺ make the building unfit for usage and marked for demolition. I still use the method if it is the best and most economical for that particular site!

Well Opalu, you're one sound engineering. I will like to develop a professional relationship with u. smiley Who says Piling cannot be used for a single storey. I have not seen but I have heard of it being done before.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Bwave: 8:07am On Nov 01, 2013
Fadelex:
correct, and a builder don't work under d supervision of foundation or civil engineer... the only person empowered to check d work of a builder is an architect and this is to ensure there is conformity with the specifications in d schematic drawing.... and by the time Building Code is passed into law, everybody will definitely know where they stand cuz there seems to be clash of duties presently in d industry
The builder has to be supervised by the civil/structural egnr. to ensure conformance to the structural details including the foundation for all buildings with reinforced concrete structures unless you are talking of unreinforced masonry, what you are advocating has caused the failure of many structures.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by opalu: 8:10am On Nov 01, 2013
lyvin: What is the difference between

On this thread, i only talk on what I've done not on what books say. And have minimized use of big terminologies.
Based on experience, I've done Insitu piles and precast piles.
Insitu piles are cast into the 'holes' after they have been dugged. There are 2 common ways of "digging' those holes. Use of Percussion machine and the Rotring machine. The percussion type is d one some call 'manual'. It uses heavy cylindrical shell that falls from a height on its own weight †̥☺ hit the point †̥☺ be dugged. As it hits repeatedly, it takes out a sizeable amount of the soil till it gets †̥☺ the required depth. Cylindrical steel casings can be lowered †̥☺ prevent the pit from collapsing into the already dug portions.
Rotring Equipment is less stressful. It operates by drilling through the soil bringing out d unwanted soil thru one side and injecting water †̥☺ soften the soil underneath via another side.
Names of piling equipment include:
Large Diameter Drills
Hydraulic Crawler Drills
Caisson Drills
Tie-Back Drills
Micro Pile Drills
Small Bore Drills
Top Drive Augers

Precast piles are piles that have been cast already from the precast yard or site and driven into the ground by giving it blows at the top. The piles are made in such a way that they are strong enough †̥☺ withstand those heavy blows and still be able †̥☺ serve their purposes of carrying d structure. Driven piles of 40m each were used fø̲̣̣я̅ the 3rd Mainland bridge. There is a highrise at VI that we used driven piles and doing pile caps will mean they will overlap since they were too close. So we used thick solid raft over them.

1 Like

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by adonismuller(m): 8:18am On Nov 01, 2013
segcy.moor:

I wish to know your area of specialization
before Comments
civil engineering(structures).....if am wrong correction is welcomed! Tanx
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Aventures(m): 8:32am On Nov 01, 2013
This tread is getting more interesting and louder, and we are learning. I wish the Mooderator can send this to front page for those that are not in property section and guest to equally learn as well. Back to SIR BANYE with due respect you have spoken well, but what you just describe is what we called cellular raft, i can take you to a couple of place where this is being done and i know you also have places known to you where this has equally being done as well. I bet you it does not really mean that pile is the best solution to foundation. ( though it is generally considered the ultimate). If you can excavate an take your foundation to the strongest soil strata that can provide you adequate soil bearing capacity that can support your foundation very well, that is the best. I give an example here, as a pupil engineer in some years back i was involve in a Catholic church cathedral at Chi Avenue, just beside oke AFA canal, the structures was design by Engr. Jolomi Ometan, as massive as this structures is we did not use pile foundation at all, rather we excavated the entire site area up to about 4m deep at this point we have come across a white silty sand. The engineer insisted that we should get a point and excavate further to ensure the consistency of the sandy and stable layer we met at 4m. After establishing this continuity. we started the foundation bases, to be breif, we have about 4 major bases, and 16 others, at least each of this major bases consumes up to 300 bags of cement, not to talk of others, we have three tiers of beam of about 900 mm tieing all the columns together. what about the de-watering challenge we pump 24 hrs of 6 days in a week.
Why this long story is because i agree with your point and i have 2 points to equally make. 1. The ambiguity of this process is high and cumbersome (like the one i just describe we spent 10 months with 2 stand by excavator and several trucks to cart away the excavated soil), also in some area it may not be practicable, due to logistic, availability of space and others while piling may not really be hindered by some tight logistic. 2. i can assure you this atimes in terms of cost it could be at per or even costlier than piling (many professionals use this pilling of a thing to cheat clients as they made you to believe a vague no of piles and tripple the actual depth all these are usually planned at design stage, but only to execute the actual thing).
The bottom line is let this man get a professional that will give him a sound best of judgement and give verdict base on his experience and put his professional career online for it by certifying the job, that is why i said he should check the status of any professional is going to engage in oreer to ensure that is a person that can be held liable.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by ABAKA72(m): 8:40am On Nov 01, 2013
Fadelex:
Yes my brother, let every professional know his place and duty, not this Babble of tongues we have now.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by MrAboki: 9:09am On Nov 01, 2013
richeyy:

You guys should know that there is a difference between a geologist & a geological/geotechnical engineering, just as there's a difference between a computer scientist & a computer engineer. We're talking about foundation design here; a geologist is a scientist who is knowledgeable about the earth and it's content, he doesn't have the technical wherewithal to design for foundation.

VERY CORRECT!!

I remember us having this debate one time trying to find out why I was an Engineer and the other Geologist wasnt. So we started listing the courses we did in school and that was when it became obvious what our difference were. Whilst my courses consisted of a mix of electrical Engineering courses (Basic Electricity), Mechanical courses (Strenght of Materials 1 & 2, Basic Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics 1 & 2, Foundation Engineering, Engineering drawing 1 & 2, e.t.c) and Geological courses (Geomorphology, Soil Mechanics, Rock mechanics, Geomatics, e.t.c), the Geology student did just the Geology courses without necessarily doing any mechanical courses.

I do agree with you sir very much..
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Fadelex(m): 9:18am On Nov 01, 2013
Bwave:
The builder has to be supervised by the civil/structural egnr. to ensure conformance to the structural details including the foundation for all buildings with reinforced concrete structures unless you are talking of unreinforced masonry, what you are advocating has caused the failure of many structures.
I beg to disagree sir, you only need a structural engineer in a structured building e.g a building where u raised d structural elements only then u do d partitioning at d end,.. but when talkin of normal building, the builder takes charge and d architect (being the head of the building team and d designer of d structure) only comes to check if the schematics are correctly interpreted. structural engineers only deals wit complicated structural elements not like foundation and beams of a storey building
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by adanny01(m): 9:25am On Nov 01, 2013
ABAKA72: Oga sir, you are wrong in no 2. Architects do not produce pictoral designs but detailed functional housing designs( detail working drawings) upon which every other drawings or work ( structural, electrical, mechanical, QS, contractors etc) depends and that is why he is called the prime consultant and the leader of the building team in any building project. an Architect is not a prime cosultant in projects such as roads, bridges, dams etc those areas are for the engineers. So don't misinform people.

No contest bro, i guess you are an Architect.

I may not be necessarily wrong but have to admit i didnot shed light on the responsibility of the Architect who is in your words, the Prime consultant. What i did was an over-summary of the Architect but had no intention of making that profession seem irrelevant or less professional. I should have added more words or line to the Architect or used a better word other than pictoral which seem to you degrading for the profession. I do know that an Architect is the closest professional to the client among all. I do also know that in most cases, the choice of all other professionals is based on the recommendation of the Architect. From the order, you should know that i know who is responsible for what. Nothing makes my post misleading.

I shall stop here in a bid not to digress from the essence of the thread.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by MrAboki: 9:38am On Nov 01, 2013

I was going to say the same thing, but didnt want to speak out of turn because if they are confused about what type of foundation to use for such a small building, then they must have a perculiar terrain that they are trying to build on.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by SIRBANYE(m): 9:47am On Nov 01, 2013
Aventures: This tread is getting more interesting and louder, and we are learning. I wish the Mooderator can send this to front page for those that are not in property section and guest to equally learn as well. Back to SIR BANYE with due respect you have spoken well, but what you just describe is what we called cellular raft, i can take you to a couple of place where this is being done and i know you also have places known to you where this has equally being done as well. I bet you it does not really mean that pile is the best solution to foundation. ( though it is generally considered the ultimate). If you can excavate an take your foundation to the strongest soil strata that can provide you adequate soil bearing capacity that can support your foundation very well, that is the best. I give an example here, as a pupil engineer in some years back i was involve in a Catholic church cathedral at Chi Avenue, just beside oke AFA canal, the structures was design by Engr. Jolomi Ometan, as massive as this structures is we did not use pile foundation at all, rather we excavated the entire site area up to about 4m deep at this point we have come across a white silty sand. The engineer insisted that we should get a point and excavate further to ensure the consistency of the sandy and stable layer we met at 4m. After establishing this continuity. we started the foundation bases, to be breif, we have about 4 major bases, and 16 others, at least each of this major bases consumes up to 300 bags of cement, not to talk of others, we have three tiers of beam of about 900 mm tieing all the columns together. what about the de-watering challenge we pump 24 hrs of 6 days in a week.
Why this long story is because i agree with your point and i have 2 points to equally make. 1. The ambiguity of this process is high and cumbersome (like the one i just describe we spent 10 months with 2 stand by excavator and several trucks to cart away the excavated soil), also in some area it may not be practicable, due to logistic, availability of space and others while piling may not really be hindered by some tight logistic. 2. i can assure you this atimes in terms of cost it could be at per or even costlier than piling (many professionals use this pilling of a thing to cheat clients as they made you to believe a vague no of piles and tripple the actual depth all these are usually planned at design stage, but only to execute the actual thing).
The bottom line is let this man get a professional that will give him a sound best of judgement and give verdict base on his experience and put his professional career online for it by certifying the job, that is why i said he should check the status of any professional is going to engage in oreer to ensure that is a person that can be held liable.

True word you have said, but for a single storey building with flats attached, we are considering 900sqm to 1500sqm tops, its not as expensive as most people make it sound. All that is needed is an excavator or a D7 bulldozer, with a maximum of 20 hours man hours. I was raised and brought up in the niger delta, we build everyday on water, all it takes is a considerable understanding of the soil. I still insist, pile foundation should only be employed when we building multi storey building or a structure of considerable heavy weight. Personally i believe a good engineer should also consider cost effective ways for his client, pile foundation in any way u put it is not cheap. Also consider connecting beams and total number of piles to be used. In extremly swampy areas, i can bet most times u do not meet solid earth structure, so you work with friction piles which upon perenial flooding could settle further. Using soil replacement and elevating ur floor base, you eliminate such risk.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by SIRBANYE(m): 10:02am On Nov 01, 2013
opalu:

@opalu, we'll said, but please remember its a single storey residental building we are talking about. When you spend about 50% of your total budget on foundation alone, that is a gross waste. Its just the building self load and little or no imposed load, maximum height of the building won't be more than 6.5m high, any good structural engineer does not need a magician to tell him the building is significantly light. Most buidling in lagos fail mainly because the existing ground level is low irrespective of soil replacement or filling. From the day water start standing around you building be it pile or raft there will be considerable settlement. To avoid dis problem, raise your foundation above every existing ground level, fill up ur compound space above existing road level. I believe the good engineers in the house can understand this.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by adanny01(m): 10:02am On Nov 01, 2013
Fadelex:

That supervision is for design conformance only. The structural designer does not go to sleep after his design, the right quality, quantity and order must be used in construction which he must make sure is done in totality.

There is a reason why 3 professionals get to face committees in event of building collapse; the Client, Structural/foundation engineer and Builder/contractor. The Client is cleared immediately it is determined that the other two professionals are duly registered. The structural engineer is never totally cleared even if it was established that the Builder is responsible but the Builder will be cleared if the structural design is found wanting.

Fadelex:
I beg to disagree sir, you only need a structural engineer in a structured building e.g a building where u raised d structural elements only then u do d partitioning at d end,.. but when talkin of normal building, the builder takes charge and d architect (being the head of the building team and d designer of d structure) only comes to check if the schematics are correctly interpreted. structural engineers only deals wit complicated structural elements not like foundation and beams of a storey building

As long as there is a structural design, the structural engineer is in it till the end of the design life of the building. He has to check for conformance to his design. It does not have to be a frame or multi storey structure like you are insinuating.

ABAKA72: Yes my brother, let every professional know his place and duty, not this Babble of tongues we have now.

Please, realise that when a building fails the Structural engineer and the builder are assumed guilty till proven otherwise. Its like saying me and you are brothers, lets watch one anothers back.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by adeoyesam(m): 10:11am On Nov 01, 2013
Foundation type of any building is determined by d loads of d building and d load bearing capacity of d soil. In other not to be confuse, because both d foundation types r right but in other to save cost, meet with geologist 4 soil test.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by MrAboki: 10:49am On Nov 01, 2013
SIR BANYE:

True word you have said, but for a single storey building with flats attached, we are considering 900sqm to 1500sqm tops, its not as expensive as most people make it sound. All that is needed is an excavator or a D7 bulldozer, with a maximum of 20 hours man hours. I was raised and brought up in the niger delta, we build everyday on water, all it takes is a considerable understanding of the soil. I still insist, pile foundation should only be employed when we building multi storey building or a structure of considerable heavy weight. Personally i believe a good engineer should also consider cost effective ways for his client, pile foundation in any way u put it is not cheap. Also consider connecting beams and total number of piles to be used. In extremly swampy areas, i can bet most times u do not meet solid earth structure, so you work with friction piles which upon perenial flooding could settle further. Using soil replacement and elevating ur floor base, you eliminate such risk.

Well said sir..

A pile foundation for a 1 storey house in the Niger Delta (which is most likely to be swamp land if they are debating on the type of foundation to use) is just going to be an utter waste of money which will be spent on the Drillers|excavators to be employed. My advice will come from the recommendations made by you;

- Soil replacement prior to laying the foundation..

NOTE: The major advantage of Raft foundation are; the even distribution of the load across the entire foundation, its less susceptible to failure in case of subsidence|ground movement & is a cheaper option to Pile foundation for small structures such as a 1 storey building.

maybe if we were looking at high risers like 5 storeys and above, then the Raft foundation would not be an option.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Bwave: 11:21am On Nov 01, 2013
Fadelex:
I don't know what you mean by "normal" building but any building that has a structural drawing must have been designed as a structure and should have a structural engr. to supervise the structural works. FYI, most buildings with more than one floor are designed as a frame but during construction the masonry walls go along with the frame structure.

1 Like

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Fadelex(m): 11:32am On Nov 01, 2013
Bwave:
I don't know what you mean by "normal" building but any building that has a structural drawing must have been designed as a structure and should have a structural engr. to supervise the structural works. FYI, most buildings with more than one floor are designed as a frame but during construction the masonry walls go along with the frame structure.
I was talking about a storey building, even 2 storey building, the architect do the structural drawing of such building.... simply because the specifications are simple... as a builder, without being told, I can easily design d structure of 2 storey building without the input of a structural engineer... but that should be done by an architect.... structural engineers are meant for framed structures
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by macddonald(m): 11:45am On Nov 01, 2013
Cypost: Please I need assistance from engineers in the house. A friend want to build a story building -5 bedroom duplex front and 3 bedroom flats at d back. The dilemma now is he contacted two engineers for quotes, one said he will use PILE Foundation while other said he will do RAFT Foundation.

The dilemma now is, who should he contract given that he want d best required foundation as this is key to a solid building. He also has no fund to waste repeating/correcting mistakes.

Pls he need ur candid advice and suggestions on this issue.

The land is in ogudu-ori oke area of Lagos a swampy area.
for the foundation to be determine, I need to know the type of soil or the condition of soil in that area.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by adanny01(m): 12:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
Fadelex:
I was talking about a storey building, even 2 storey building, the architect do the structural drawing of such building.... simply because the specifications are simple... as a builder, without being told, I can easily design d structure of 2 storey building without the input of a structural engineer... but that should be done by an architect.... structural engineers are meant for framed structures

This is exactly the problem we have in our profession in Nigeria. Everything you just said is plain wrong.

When such a building collapses the client and the Architect are both going to jail. Am not sure you know what you are saying.

The architect will only copy and paste from a previous structural drawing he has supervised. That is very very unethical. You as the builder should be in a better position to copy and paste if it were allowed.

Any structure with reinforced beams or columns or slabs is a structural building which must be uniquely designed whether 1 storey or no storey. An Architect who copies and pastes must require the stamp of a registered engineer for building permit. I dont know for Lagos but in Abuja it must be followed or no approval.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by richeyy(m): 12:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
Fadelex:

That's our problem. Our construction industry is the most abused. You see an architect produce engineering designs, acts like the QS and fronts as the CPM. Why won't buildings fail? For the fact that you borrowed some undergraduate courses from other built environment departments gives you no right to take over their jobs. What happened to the professional ethics you swore to uphold? What happened to best practice? undecided
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by basilo101: 1:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
Consult a gud geotechnical engineer. Bt using pile foundation 4 a duplex is too wasteful

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

River Niger Overflows In Anambra, Properties Destroyed / The New Lagos Tenancy Law:who Does It Favour Most? The Lanlord Or The Tenant? / Houses Destroyed As Mast Falls On Buildings After Heavy Rainfall In Edo. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.