Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,188 members, 7,818,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? (35227 Views)

Building On Swamp, How Do I Go, Raft Or Pile? / PILE FOUNDATION FOR TERRACE BUILDING AT LEKKI / Cost For A Raft Foundation With German Floor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by dbtosine(m): 2:14pm On Nov 01, 2013
Aventures: what has qty surveyor got to do with foundation type. Ogudu, mary land and anthony are the worst area of lagos
sate even pile that is not properly done fails. Pls contact a seasoned and reliable structural engineer who will in turn engage and supervise a geophysical engineer who will conduct a good soil test. The structural engineer will then determine the suitable foundation type and designed it fully.
with due respect sir/ ma; a consultant quantity surveyor can as well give a proper advice on this type of situation since all of the engineers mention above are building team and they also work together lnother to achieve good result at the completion of any civil or building project.... Thanka
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Fadelex(m): 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2013
richeyy:

That's our problem. Our construction industry is the most abused. You see an architect produce engineering designs, acts like the QS and fronts as the CPM. Why won't buildings fail? For the fact that you borrowed some undergraduate courses from other built environment departments gives you no right to take over their jobs. What happened to the professional ethics you swore to uphold? What happened to best practice? undecided
are u telling me it's wrong for an architect to design structural drawings? that means a mechanical engineer should design mechanical drawings, a structural engineer to design a structural drawings, an electrical engineer to design d electrical drawings and an architect to design just d working drawings.... this is not just possible in dis case...we are talking of a storey building not industrial building or high rise building.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by visitor30(m): 3:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
Waoooooh! What a wonderful and educative thread.
I have been following quietly from the 1st page all the discussion here and I must commend the professionalism and maturity being displayed.
I have also learnt so much from each and everyone of you, the way/manner that the discussion has been going is superb. you are all wonderful professionals in your respective professions and I give kudos to you all. An electrical engineer by qualification though not practicing professional for now! Keep up the good work guys!

@OP, please go ahead and get your soil test done, then you will be in a more better position with advice from a sound/genuine professional to advice you/your friend on the best cost saving foundation type to use in the building.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by blackky100(m): 5:19pm On Nov 01, 2013
Saw this raft foundation for more than one floor.

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by blackky100(m): 5:23pm On Nov 01, 2013
Pix

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by blackky100(m): 5:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
Source:-Nairaland.

My question is can this same foundation work for soil test result which recommended pile foundation.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Fadelex(m): 5:44pm On Nov 01, 2013
even though I don't know d nature of d soil but from experience, I handled a plaza in Abuja few years back (central business district), some Lebanese were brought to d site and they totally condemn d soil capability of d site, they concluded d site can't take more Dan a storey building... but after we amended d raft foundation we met on ground, the building is at d 5th floor now... what we did was this, after excavating d foundation we used hardcore to fill all d sub-structure then we use wire mesh to cover it b4 d concrete work....no tilting, no vibration, no dampness...[/quote]

just go thru my previous post.... this is exactly what I did on dat site but I have to create another passage for d surface water....the only water source that can't be controlled is underground water
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by dwana91(m): 7:33pm On Nov 01, 2013
Surely pile foindation is the best especilly if its a water logged area
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
Trust me, most Nigerian Architects dont know jack about structures and structural design. Even the ones who have been architects for long usually disappoint but once the Architects are from Europe or U.S, I have noticed that they have reasonable structural knowledge. I wouldnt allow
a Nigerian Architect who has 30 yrs to design any framed building for me as long as it is more than a storey and I am the one staying there. I value my life smiley I'm just being truthful
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by segcymoor(m): 8:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
blackky100: Source:-Nairaland.

My question is can this same foundation work for soil test result which recommended pile foundation.

@blackky100: You suppose to have get my permission before using my work as case study. However, I will answer above question for the benefit of the house at large. Just like cyprost the Client for this particular project was confused on what to do .Initially, he intend to build a story building and unfortunately, no time to waste for soil test. But with our wealth of experience in Building construction, we gave technical advise on foundation to adpot. he reasoned with us and confidently decided to work towards 2 floors......eventually we did soil test and behold the result reveal pilling and recommend exactly what we did here as good alternative
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by segcymoor(m): 8:35pm On Nov 01, 2013
blackky100: Saw this raft foundation for more than one floor.

But for your information this foundation is neither pilling nor ordinary raft
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by dantechnig: 9:41pm On Nov 01, 2013
Am so happy to have read this post, am more enlighten here. Please send me mails to dantechnig@yahoo.com wish to chat wit everying one who has contributed here. U can join the group on facebook for architects,engineers, builders, valuers, client where we can educate ourselves the more.
Am a registered builder with CORBON my advice here is to run a soil test beware of copy and paste result of soil test. Engage a practicing professionals, you can never value your structure when is handled by quacks and collapses during or after construction

2 Likes

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by dantechnig: 9:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
blackky100: Source:-Nairaland.

bro please email me more the raft foundation pictures which to study them well am$ a builder but still needs to learn more. Thanks. Email me wit dantechnig@yahoo.com
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by blackky100(m): 2:20am On Nov 02, 2013
Bros no vex.

The pictures are on Nairaland and they are over 40 of them from pegging to plastering. It is under properties where the Engineer explained what he did. Good job and i am sure you can also get the details of the company that did the job for those who wish to build on soil with low bearing capacity. The pictures speak volumes.

I will forward the link as soon as i get it.

Segcy moor, do you think this would have been more expensive or cheaper than Pile foundation? I like what you did here. Please throw more light on this . Will this work in location like Gbagada?
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Aventures(m): 4:20am On Nov 02, 2013
blackky100: Bros no vex.

The pictures are on Nairaland and they are over 40 of them from pegging to plastering. It is under properties where the Engineer explained what he did. Good job and i am sure you can also get the details of the company that did the job for those who wish to build on soil with low bearing capacity. The pictures speak volumes.

I will forward the link as soon as i get it.

Segcy moor, do you think this would have been more expensive or cheaper than Pile foundation? I like what you did here. Please throw more light on this . Will this work in location like Gbagada?
i design this structure, segcy more did the Architecture and construct this structure. This area is sandy and waterlogged, not swampy despite that we know this for sure we still conducted a proper soil test that guided us in this design. This man is telling us about 2 contractors one is quoting for raft and another one quoting for pile, so this shows that there is fundamental problem, it is not of the contractor to choose the foundation type the responsibility lies between the geotecg, foundation/structural engineer and architect, all these would have worked together at the design stage and concluded on the foundation type base on best of judgment, it is just for the contractor to execute the design, instructions report.and specifications of the design team. To your question, Gbagada is more worst than most area of lekki, this kind of arrangement in segcymore project may or may not work. geotechnical report is the pointer. In segcymore project we found out that if we give the fondation what we called spread, then we can avoid pilling, we can do this because we were well informed by the soil test
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by segcymoor(m): 5:20am On Nov 02, 2013
Bros, it actually escaped my mind. YES. Aventure design the structure for this project. As a matter of fact, he is quite active in technical inputs
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Aventures(m): 10:46am On Nov 02, 2013
Fadelex:
are u telling me it's wrong for an architect to design structural drawings? that means a mechanical engineer should design mechanical drawings, a structural engineer to design a structural drawings, an electrical engineer to design d electrical drawings and an architect to design just d working drawings.... this is not just possible in dis case...we are talking of a storey building not industrial building or high rise building.
Fadelex: sir if i may ask who is authourised by the govt to sign and seal structural drg at any level for building planning approval?
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by adanny01(m): 5:30pm On Nov 02, 2013
Fadelex:

even though I don't know d nature of d soil but from experience, I handled a plaza in Abuja few years back (central business district), some Lebanese were brought to d site and they totally condemn d soil capability of d site, they concluded d site can't take more Dan a storey building... but after we amended d raft foundation we met on ground, the building is at d 5th floor now... what we did was this, after excavating d foundation we used hardcore to fill all d sub-structure then we use wire mesh to cover it b4 d concrete work....no tilting, no vibration, no dampness...

just go thru my previous post.... this is exactly what I did on dat site but I have to create another passage for d surface water....the only water source that can't be controlled is underground water

Fadelex:

You just mentioned Abuja but i dont think you know Development control in Wuse zone 6 and what they do. If you did modification on that foundation and development control did not catch you it doesnt mean that what you did was legal or they didnt have an intention to catch you. It just means you were lucky to get away with it but you will be most guilty when that building comes crashing.

Just because your building is standing now does not mean it will continue to stand through its design life! Dont be so confident o. Besides, the building and its foundation can remain intact but fail due to lateral deflection or tilting caused by raised center of gravity and differential settlement of a side of the entire raft foundation.

Anybody who went to ABU Zaria should know what must have happened to the 30year old Block A7 in Suleiman hall (my room was A7/1 in my 1st year). The whole hostel block and its foundation is intact but tilted and still tilting before i left years ago. The tilt did not happen suddenly it was very gradual and unnoticed before it became very conspicious. It was vacated ever since while demolition was being planned.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by opalu: 7:56pm On Nov 02, 2013
I happen †̥☺ be in the Editorial team of The Construction Magazine and we are releasing 50,000 copies for d next edition. I will like †̥☺ place just 5 free adverts for 5 fastest Nairalanders †̥☺ send in adverts in jpeg, pdf, MSword.
Send your adverts †̥☺: impactmatrix@ymail.com

Your email title should be : Nairaland
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by geostrata(m): 1:33pm On Nov 03, 2013
Happy Sunday everyone,
i hv taken tym 2 go thru this trend, i must commend the insightful comments 4rm every1, especially Aventures and Segcy.mor.
From my experience as a geotechnical engineer/engineering geologist, u cant categorically tell d type of foundation to be laid by mere physical observation of the site without carrying out soil testing which entails, cone penetration test and boring.
The later(boring), would allow you knw the nature of the subsurface soils/stratas and carry out insitu test(SPT), Samples of these subsurface soils wud b collected at various depth and analysed in the lab from whch recommendations is suggested after the samples has been analysed and neccessary engineering calculations(safe bearing capacity, ultimate bearing capacity, alloweable bearing capacity, e.t.c) hv bn calculated to knw whch depth wud b safe to carry the propose structure...hence, recommendation would be made as per the kind of foundation to be laid.
THANKS...best regards!

2 Likes

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by segcymoor(m): 10:10pm On Nov 04, 2013
[/quote]

Actually what we did is cheaper than pilling. However, what really gulp money in pilling is nos of point, depth and diameter specify by geophysical engineer. So some pilling may be lesser
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by geostrata(m): 2:58pm On Nov 05, 2013
Good day...Am currently working at a site at gbagada, carrying out soil test....frm d information gathered so far...8meters piling would b recommended with raft foundation...ground water level was encountered at 0.25m. If u noticed d buildings within medina estate in gbagada they r al tilted as a result of soil settlement with large cracks on them. Cheers!
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by segcymoor(m): 3:05pm On Nov 05, 2013
geostrata: Good day...Am currently working at a site at gbagada, carrying out soil test....frm d information gathered so far...8meters piling would b recommended with raft foundation...ground water level was encountered at 0.25m. If u noticed d buildings within medina estate in gbagada they r al tilted as a result of soil settlement with large cracks on them. Cheers!
I quite agree with you esp on that medina estate
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by lyvin: 1:13pm On Nov 09, 2013
I did a soil test the guy said he encountered sharp sand at 15meters at the three point on a 120x60 plot.

What foundation will one consider in this situation.
Ur input will be highly appreciated. The building been considered is ONE Storey with 4 flat.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by lyvin: 1:20pm On Nov 09, 2013
segcy.moor:

I quite agree with you esp on that medina estate
I did a soil test the guy said he encountered sharp sand at 15meters at the three point on a 120x60 plot.

Ur input will be highly appreciated. The building been considered is ONE Storey with 4 flat.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by segcymoor(m): 4:21pm On Nov 09, 2013
Unquestionably, pilling but the guy need to recommend foundation to use
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Aventures(m): 8:29pm On Nov 09, 2013
lyvin: I did a soil test the guy said he encountered sharp sand at 15meters at the three point on a 120x60 plot.

15 meters is pretty far, but you still have to wait for the final analysis and recommendation of the soil engineer. The report will inform you of the soil bearing capacity, soil formation at every meter, and suggested fdn type and depth. if the bearing capacity is up to abt 40 kn/m2, then raft with spread can be used.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by lyvin: 8:48pm On Nov 09, 2013
segcy.moor:
Unquestionably, pilling but the guy need to recommend foundation to use
He did say pilling but I really don't fancy pilling because don't think they do it well as in the expertise involve and way its done here(manual type). I understand d real pilling is quite expensive.

More at easy with raft but with 15m depth,
not convince there would be an alternative to pilling. Really considering my options as in cost and getting fdn right.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by geostrata(m): 10:59pm On Nov 09, 2013
@lyvin seen the geotechnical engineer recommended piling...why no stick to his recommendations... He did nt jxt come up with it, he must has calculate the bearing capacities of the subsoils and saw that piling would be suitable.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by segcymoor(m): 11:15pm On Nov 21, 2013
geostrata: @lyvin seen the geotechnical engineer recommended piling...why no stick to his recommendations... He did nt jxt come up with it, he must has calculate the bearing capacities of the subsoils and saw that piling would be suitable.
Correct!
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by cleric(m): 2:42am On Jul 13, 2014
lyvin:
He did say pilling but I really don't fancy pilling because don't think they do it well as in the expertise involve and way its done here(manual type). I understand d real pilling is quite expensive.
More at easy with raft but with 15m depth,
not convince there would be an alternative to pilling. Really considering my options as in cost and getting fdn right.

Na wa o. See analysis. Well, I did rafting for my foundation and and it is doing great. Like someone pointed out, the piling being done by most engineers are not proper piling.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by smallsmall: 7:03pm On Dec 24, 2014
geostrata:
Happy Sunday everyone,
i hv taken tym 2 go thru this trend, i must commend the insightful comments 4rm every1, especially Aventures and Segcy.mor.
From my experience as a geotechnical engineer/engineering geologist, u cant categorically tell d type of foundation to be laid by mere physical observation of the site without carrying out soil testing which entails, cone penetration test and boring.
The later(boring), would allow you knw the nature of the subsurface soils/stratas and carry out insitu test(SPT), Samples of these subsurface soils wud b collected at various depth and analysed in the lab from whch recommendations is suggested after the samples has been analysed and neccessary engineering calculations(safe bearing capacity, ultimate bearing capacity, alloweable bearing capacity, e.t.c) hv bn calculated to knw whch depth wud b safe to carry the propose structure...hence, recommendation would be made as per the kind of foundation to be laid.
THANKS...best regards!

Can you share your contacts pls, (phone/Email) l want to discuss "work" with you.

Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

River Niger Overflows In Anambra, Properties Destroyed / The New Lagos Tenancy Law:who Does It Favour Most? The Lanlord Or The Tenant? / Houses Destroyed As Mast Falls On Buildings After Heavy Rainfall In Edo. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.