Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,455 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? (35220 Views)

Building On Swamp, How Do I Go, Raft Or Pile? / PILE FOUNDATION FOR TERRACE BUILDING AT LEKKI / Cost For A Raft Foundation With German Floor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by geostrata(m): 10:40pm On Dec 25, 2014
smallsmall:

Can you share your contacts pls, (phone/Email) l want to discuss "work" with you.

Cheers.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Soiltest: 1:32pm On Jul 10, 2015
Your readers should know that there is a lot that can be done in addition to getting the soil tested. By planting certain species of plants called hyperaccumulators, the plants can clean the soil of many heavy metals automatically. For chemical contaminants, there are sources for microbes that eat this stuff that can be purchased. Soil Testing Laboratory
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by realomonile: 12:33am On Feb 29, 2016
A plot of land located at Akesan Lagos state Along Lasu iyana iba going for 1.5m negotiable

Direct seller...

Serious buyer should call/whatsapp 08085310359, 09054800167

Email:realomonile@gmail.com

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by msogunro: 11:36pm On May 12, 2016
To those that have purchased land, is it normal/acceptable to conduct a soil test before purchasing land.

It is a request I will make regardless, but just wanted to see if it is something that has been done.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by olumide4christ: 12:55am On May 13, 2016
msogunro:
To those that have purchased land, is it normal/acceptable to conduct a soil test before purchasing land.

It is a request I will make regardless, but just wanted to see if it is something that has been done.

Some land sellers may agree to allow you do a test; others may decline. If they decline, its up to you to decide whether to buy the land and abide by the results of the test thereafter or move on to other lands where you would be allowed to do a test prior to purchase.
Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 03, 2016
opalu:
Most people do not know who a Structural Engineer is. As a COREN registered Civil/structural Engineer who by His grace rounding-up his Doctorate (@Unilorin), I have sworn †̥☺ uphold and enlighten the society abt d profession wherever I find myself.

I"d be brief and simple fø̲̣̣я̅ now. Civil Engineering has many areas of specialization like: Geotechnics, Structural, Airport, Railway, Highway and Water (put 'Engineering at their fronts fø̲̣̣я̅ me).
As a Structural Engineer, you basically determine the load/forces/stresses via structural analysis and proceed †̥☺ carry out the structural design: whereby the Engineer selects the sizes, types, positions etc of the members †̥☺ use †̥☺ withstand the anticipated ultimate loads with respect †̥☺ relevant Codes taking account of necessary factors of safety and assumptions.

@ OP, when a Qualified and Experienced Structural Engineer takes the DRAWING of the Architect and evaluates the loads, the loads reaching the soil thru the foundation at various points may be 'heavier' than what the soil can bear (Soil Bearing Capacity). So he may advice †̥☺ use Pile foundation that use 'pillar'-like concrete members in the soil. These piles transfer the loads †̥☺ good bearing strata down inside d ground. I've done 1,500 piles of 24m average at Gbagada and even 33 m deep piles at Ikorodu (Agbowa). That was like height of 11 storey buildings inside d ground.
Now if the Structural Guy discovers that Ūя̲̅ site is not entirely bad, he can suggest solid raft or beam and slab raft like so many estates we have done at Lekki axis. What a raft does is †̥☺ spread over the good and bad portions of the land so that the effects of the weak portions of the soil are neutralized by those of the strong areas. Acts monolithically sort of.

In High-rise buildings, U̶̲̥̅̊ either use both piles and raft combined or U̶̲̥̅̊ go fø̲̣̣я̅ vibrofloatation as was used in many at Marina.
Good day sir,i have read most of your comments about Civil engineering and structural engineering and I have really gained a lot from them,i am a young vibrant graduate of Civil Engineering,and I would be happy to learn more from you in this field.i hope to hear from you soon sir.Adewunmi

1 Like

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by DAVEZONIGLTD: 9:38pm On Dec 01, 2017
Contact us for your Pile Foundation.

Reasons why you need pile foundations :

1) It is cheaper than raft foundation.
2) It accommodate more load.
3) It transfer load directly to the strong soil layer beneath ground.
3) Rest of mind after your building construction.

Call or Whatsapp.
+2348034261643. +2349072780264

davezonigerialimited@gmail.com

Re: Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? by bigbartho: 1:12am On Mar 14, 2022
Good soil test will decide, I will recommend an SPT test, in which all the necessary information about the soil will be calculated and provide. This includes bearing capacity, settlement, Poisson ratio, soil unit weight etc. With this information, the type of foundation to go with will be decided, in which someone like me can still test run the model using some structural and geotechnical softwares that simulate and check the stability of such foundation in the soil strata using the soil information provided and the total resultant forces of the structure acting on the foundation and transferred to the soil. Then in this kind of situation where you want a strong foundation that will not fail in the future just like you earlier said it's a swampy area, maybe you can think of or consider pile raft...this is a kind of foundation where the raft foundation are supported with piles (500mm or 600mm circular bore concrete piles of depth 12m) at some
distributed points But its always good to know the condition of your land (soil information)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

River Niger Overflows In Anambra, Properties Destroyed / Houses Destroyed As Mast Falls On Buildings After Heavy Rainfall In Edo. Photos / The New Lagos Tenancy Law:who Does It Favour Most? The Lanlord Or The Tenant?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.