Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,402 members, 7,836,613 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date (10012 Views)

Are You A Happily Married Man? Family Section Needs You / Family Section Debate::: Please Vote for a topic of your choice. / Happy Birthday To Family Section's World Famous Leapling (CHAIRCOVER) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 2:38am On Nov 17, 2013
TV01: Well done to TG & RR for organising and moderating. And of course to our impartial panel of judges

Some questions for our moderators;

A.
Evidence: This has been cited as a basis - if only in part - for being awarded marks. However, I think we need to consider this carefully. many studies, most especially in the social sciences are often biased and undertaken with an ideologically based outcome in mind. It is often said that social science is not science.

Let me give a couple of examples;

1. Pharmaceutical companies sponsoring studies of drugs they sell. Enough said (and that is actually real science).

2. A study claiming 2 same gender parents raise children as well or better than two opposite sex parents. We are all "NetWise". A search for numerous studies for or against that notion will return in about 0.001 seconds. I don't believe quoting or lifting points from a web search is a debating skill.

Rather the skill is in articulating why one is for or against a point/position. Marshalling an argument and appealing to ones audience with experience, sound analysis and cogent points.

Tgirl4real:

Thanks for the questions. I will leave the judges to answer question A.

Actually, Tgirl, I believe you or RR are the ones to answer this question since the judges did not choose evidence as a scoring criteria. I believe what TV is saying is that evidence shouldn't be such a significant contributor to the overall score and more emphasis should be placed on the bolded.

Thanks.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by xynerise: 6:26am On Nov 17, 2013
ileobatojo:

Actually, Tgirl, I believe you or RR are the ones to answer this question since the judges did not choose evidence as a scoring criteria. I believe what TV is saying is that evidence shouldn't be such a significant contributor to the overall score and more emphasis should be placed on the bolded.

Thanks.
Exactly. Must the debaters pick points from a web search? Pls, they should remove ''evidence'' as part of the criteria.

1 Like

Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by xynerise: 10:08am On Nov 17, 2013
Tgirl, Ignore the previous mail(Incomplete). I sent another one
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 11:23am On Nov 17, 2013
xynerise: Tgirl, Ignore the previous mail(Incomplete). I sent another one

Are you contestant no 4? wink tongue
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by xynerise: 11:25am On Nov 17, 2013
alutacontinua:

Are you contestant no 4? wink tongue
Lol. Why would I be sending mail then? tongue
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 17, 2013
xynerise:
Lol. Why would I be sending mail then? tongue

Ok...you're contestant 10 cool
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by xynerise: 11:28am On Nov 17, 2013
alutacontinua:

Ok...you're contestant 10 cool
Nah!
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Sagamite(m): 1:09pm On Nov 17, 2013
pickabeau1: contestant 5 wrote 2 essays.. his own and his link to Siena's smiley

Please give him a harder topic to argue for. it seems the argument against spanking is too easy sef

It is not easy.

It can be easily floored.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 1:14pm On Nov 17, 2013
ileobatojo:

Thanks.

I won't be scoring na Ile. tongue

U guys should discuss it. Lol.

Well, let the judges can use their discretion.

Happy Sunday to you all.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by pickabeau1: 2:08pm On Nov 17, 2013
Sagamite:

It is not easy.

It can be easily floored.

Floored how..... modernism n political correctness have thrown spanking to the dogs
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Sagamite(m): 2:23pm On Nov 17, 2013
pickabeau1:
Floored how..... modernism n political correctness have thrown spanking to the dogs

By comparing outcomes, destroying misinformation arguments and throwing dysphemism to the dogs.

Funky always sounds and looks nice (modernised and politically correct), but it does not always get you the best or nice outcomes.

You can have a look at my arguments on the page of this thread to understand further:

https://www.nairaland.com/1118061/buharis-first-daughter-zulai-dead/9#13206732
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by boay(m): 2:31pm On Nov 17, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Okay.

RESULTS

1st - Contestant 5 - 109 points
2nd - Contestant 6 - 96 points
3rd - Contestant 9 - 91 pts
4th - Contestant 8 - 84pts
5th - Contestant 3 - 83 pts
6th - Contestant 7 - 71 pts
6th - Contestant 1 - 71 pts
8th - Contestant 10 - 63 pts
9th - Contestant 4 - 59 pts
thanks
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 4:24pm On Nov 17, 2013
Pick and Sagamite, what are we talking about? Lol
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by boay(m): 4:57pm On Nov 17, 2013
What is the maximum obtainable score?
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by pickabeau1: 5:31pm On Nov 17, 2013
cool tete-a-tete between you and jakumo

i like the new rules which splits against and for into equal camps

Allows for proper contrast of views

Sagamite:

By comparing outcomes, destroying misinformation arguments and throwing dysphemism to the dogs.

Funky always sounds and looks nice (modernised and politically correct), but it does not always get you the best or nice outcomes.

You can have a look at my arguments on the page of this thread to understand further:

https://www.nairaland.com/1118061/buharis-first-daughter-zulai-dead/9#13206732
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 6:22pm On Nov 17, 2013
I hope all the contestants and Judges are warming up. smiley
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by LerrieJohn(f): 6:32pm On Nov 17, 2013
Yes oh, let's get started.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by LerrieJohn(f): 6:33pm On Nov 17, 2013
@ Tgirl exactly how many queries are there at rebuttal stage? 3 or 5?
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by xynerise: 7:07pm On Nov 17, 2013
Tgirl4real: I hope all the contestants and Judges are warming up. smiley
Present
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 7:33pm On Nov 17, 2013
Lerrie John: @ Tgirl exactly how many queries are there at rebuttal stage? 3 or 5?

We are on Plan B, so it's 3.

Each group have 20mins for their rebuttal.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by LerrieJohn(f): 7:42pm On Nov 17, 2013
Tgirl4real:

We are on Plan B, so it's 3.

Each group have 20mins for their rebuttal.

Alright.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by debosky(m): 8:04pm On Nov 17, 2013
TV01: Well done to TG & RR for organising and moderating. And of course to our impartial panel of judges

Some questions for our moderators;

A.
Evidence: This has been cited as a basis - if only in part - for being awarded marks. However, I think we need to consider this carefully. many studies, most especially in the social sciences are often biased and undertaken with an ideologically based outcome in mind. It is often said that social science is not science.

Let me give a couple of examples;

1. Pharmaceutical companies sponsoring studies of drugs they sell. Enough said (and that is actually real science).

2. A study claiming 2 same gender parents raise children as well or better than two opposite sex parents. We are all "NetWise". A search for numerous studies for or against that notion will return in about 0.001 seconds. I don't believe quoting or lifting points from a web search is a debating skill.

Rather the skill is in articulating why one is for or against a point/position. Marshalling an argument and appealing to ones audience with experience, sound analysis and cogent points.

Excellent question. What I personally assess as evidence is where claims made are supported in a meaningful and intelligent way to draw useful insights, not as a source of a binary yes or no. It's more directed at differentiating between pure opinion and a well researched and thought through position. It doesn't need to be drawn from social science per se, but a convincing argument will need to appeal beyond the debater's own views and evidence is one way to do that.

Bias is almost inevitable in social science I agree, but it's likely present in any evidence produced so shouldn't unduly favour either the pro or opposing argument.

Take for example, someone stating that homes where women working earn 150k naira more (per month? per year?) to support his argument for shared responsibilities but providing no evidence to back it up. That statement will result in a low score for evidence (even if valid/true) as it's not an obvious conclusion the average reader will come to.

1 Like

Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 17, 2013
Shouldn't the debate have started 20 minutes ago or am I mistaken on start time?
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 8:27pm On Nov 17, 2013
Sorry guys. Internet issues.

Posting now.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by xynerise: 8:54pm On Nov 17, 2013
@Tgirl. How can Contestant 5 take on 6 when they are both arguing for the topic?
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by pickabeau1: 9:08pm On Nov 17, 2013
Too many supporters of pre marital sex..similar arguments
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 9:09pm On Nov 17, 2013
xynerise: @Tgirl. How can Contestant 5 take on 6 when they are both arguing for the topic?

I noticed too. Too late to start changing position, so the judges will question you. In the absence of no questions, you have the opportunity to post new points.

Thanks.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by ifyalways(f): 9:13pm On Nov 17, 2013
Kai,I for debate for just this topic cheesy Kpekus before marriage - Gbam! cheesy

All the contestants proposing the motion seem to have copied each other. Same line of argument.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by ifyalways(f): 9:17pm On Nov 17, 2013
Contestant 5 your refrences plenty pass your debate gan.

E no easy sha.Una welldone.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 9:21pm On Nov 17, 2013
ifyalways: Contestant 5 your refrences plenty pass your debate gan.

E no easy sha.Una welldone.

lol
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by xynerise: 9:22pm On Nov 17, 2013
Where is everybody na? My Eba dey cold o undecided
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by LerrieJohn(f): 9:24pm On Nov 17, 2013
What's happening now? It's like every one's gone

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Man Tortures 10-yr-old Son To Death / How To Tackle Naysayers / How Do I Fatten My Toddler?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.