Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date (9976 Views)

Are You A Happily Married Man? Family Section Needs You / Family Section Debate::: Please Vote for a topic of your choice. / Happy Birthday To Family Section's World Famous Leapling (CHAIRCOVER) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 10:55am On Oct 29, 2013
Hello all,

You are welcome to the first edition of the Nairaland Family Section debate.
A lot of planning has been going on underground and we have finally come up with the modalities. smiley

This thread will officially serve as the planning/information thread for the debate. Any questions and/or suggestions are welcomed here.

Below is a list of participants;

- TV01
- Bellong
- Obinoscopy
- Xynerise
- Baba Oyo
- Efemena_xy
- Ayobase
- Wildchild00
- Teeo
- Fhemmy
- Joker5180
- Pataki
- Dominiquez
- Caracta
- Des.Chyco
- Chamotex
- Oluchi Jud
- quivah
- Lerrie John
- Mondisweets

With this list, this debate will be the best of the best. wink
You can’t afford to miss it.

(The door is still open for more people to volunteer)
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 10:58am On Oct 29, 2013
Below is a list of selected topics

Here are the voted topics:

1. Polygamy an escape route for spinsterhood?

2. Cohabitation : Recipe for succesful marriage

3. Spare the rod and spoil the child.
True or False?

4. Sex before Marriage: Right or Wrong?

5. Feminism: A positive or Negative?

6. Is bullying an effect of dysfunctional homes?

7. Should the man be 100% financially responsible for his family? Yes or No

8. Abusive marriage: Who is to be blamed?
The abuser or the abused?

9. Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids?

10. Is marriage be a life time commitment?

Tentative Date: 15th of Nov – 30th of Nov 2013
Winner will be announced latest by 1st of December.

Venue: Here of course. wink. Family Section
, Nairaland.

Time: 7pm – 10pm on appointed days (Nigerian time)

Judges

Jaybee, Debosky, Sagamite, Ileobatojo, Sisikill, Coogar

Our judges’ selection is a mix of both male and female (seasoned) Nairalanders who are known for their intelligent and unbiased contributions to the NL community. Some of them have participated on NL debates in one capacity or the other. And you can be sure that they will be fair and unbiased in their judgement.

Coordinators:
Family Section Moderators – The ever beautiful Tgirl4real and our efficient new mod – RoyalRoy wink
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 11:05am On Oct 29, 2013
DEBATE STRUCTURE/GUIDELINES

1. For the purpose of this debate, debaters would be identified as Contestant 1, Contestant 2 and so on. Numbers will be given to debaters before the D-day.

2. Topics were selected from the list of nominated topics by Nairalanders.

3. 10 topics were adopted. 6-7 will be used for the debate and 3+ will be reserved.

4. Debaters were selected from the list of volunteers and everyone will be given equal right to debate and progress accordingly.

5. There will be a total of 4 rounds. Elimination round, Quarter-final, Semi-final and the final round.

6. All first presentations will be posted by the moderator in-charge. This method was adopted to avoid – points lifting (Plagiarism) tongue

7. A separate thread will be created for each round.

8. Each thread will be moved to the homepage on the appointed time and day.

9. As the debate progresses, debate text colours would be adopted for opposing sides.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 11:06am On Oct 29, 2013
Elimination Round

- 3 topics will be available for this round for all participants to select from.

- Debaters are to select a topic and indicate the side they will be arguing for. All that should be done on this thread.

- Their arguments will be in form of a presentation and should not exceed 750 words.

- Once your presentation is ready, kindly email it to Tgirl4real not later than an hour before the debate time.

- The moderator in-charge publishes the presentation on behalf of the debaters.

- The audience enjoy it, while judges collate the results.

- At this point the audience can interact with the participants.

- There are no feedbacks for this round.

- The top 8 debaters are selected for progression to quarter-final.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 11:17am On Oct 29, 2013
Quarter-Final/First Rebuttal Stage

-This stage serves as the rebuttal stage for the Elimination round.

- There will be a pairing of debaters for this round.
We hope we will have equal number of debaters on opposing sides for the different topics, if not, a new topic will be selected and debaters would be asked to take a position-Back-up plan.

- For the Rebuttals, each debater is allowed to take on his opponent with not more than 5 queries.

- Queries could be a puncture on your opponent’s initial presentation or it could be a question, but the question must be centred on his debate topic/position.

- When querying your opponent’s point, you are required to quote the point in question.

- When responding to a query, you are also required to quote the query you are responding to.

- The queried MUST address all rebuttals.
Each debater is expected to identify himself by indicating his number before the stage is declared opened.

Backup Plan.

- In a situation where we do not have equal nos of opposing views on the different topics from the Elimination round, a new topic will be sent to debaters.

- Debaters are required to take a position on a first come first serve basis.

- Each debater will make an opening presentation not more than 500 words. This presentation should be emailed to Tgirl4real before the set time, who in turn posts it on behalf of the debaters.

- Once the presentations are posted, we move to the rebuttal stage.

- Debaters are to take on their opponent with not more than 3 queries. And are expected to follow the rebuttal guidelines listed above.

- After this stage, judges are to collate their result and announce the top 4.

- If there is no clear top 4 to move to the semi-finals then we can have a mini penalty shoot-out on the rear debaters (assuming we have a top 1 or 2). This mini penalty shoot-out would be dependent on a set of questions/rebuttals from the judges relating to their argument for them to expatiate on.

- This is a ONE day round. Results will be released immediately.

A list of topics for the semi-final and final is sent to the top 4 by email and they are asked for a “disagree” or “agree” response sent to Tgirl4real. This would help us decide who to place against each other in the following rounds.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 11:21am On Oct 29, 2013
Semi Final

- The 4 semi finalists are paired using the response to the list of topics sent to them.

- Different threads will be opened for each head-to-head by the coordinators.

- At this stage, they can post their arguments themselves at an agreed time. No lateness please.

- First arguments should not exceed 1000 words.

- All participants are allowed to ask up to 5 queries from their opponent and the rebuttal guideline should be followed.

- Please remember that the queried MUST address all rebuttals.

-The semi-final is only based on one topic and will last 2 days.

- The debaters can freestyle but they should not exceed 1,200 words in their posts. so as not to bore the audience.

- Feedback is provided to all participants at the end of day 2.

- The top 2 are selected for progression to Final.

- In a rare case where there is a tie, a new topic would be debated to find a winner. (

----------------------------------------------
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 11:25am On Oct 29, 2013
Final

- A topic will be selected from the list of topics sent to them they have opposing views on.

- At this stage, they can post their arguments themselves at an agreed time. No lateness please.

- First arguments should not exceed 1000 words.

- Freestyle is allowed like any NL thread but you should not exceed 1,200 words in your posts so as not to bore the audience.

- This stage can run for 2 days if need be.

- Feedback is provided to all participants.
The winner is announced.

—----—-----------------------------------+++++++++

Rules and Regulations, Marking Scheme/Judging Criteria and proper time-table will be announced soon.

Please stay tuned.

--------------------------------------------------
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 1:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
Each debater will be judged using the following
criteria;

Style: writing style, use of grammar, punctuation, spacing, paragraphs.

Delivery: Structure of argument. Does the argument have
brief intro and as well as meaningful summary

Content: how relevant is the argument ,
persuasive skills

Evidence: Statements supported by facts/Stats?

Each point with carry 5 marks totalling 20marks.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 1:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
GENERAL RULES GUIDING THE DEBATE
-All Nairaland Forum rules should be strictly adhered to.
-Debaters should not incite their fellow debaters in any manner or use profane languages.
-Members SHOULD address the argument and not the poster.
- All the debating guideline should be adhered to strictly.

DEBATE TIME-TABLE

Elimination Round (This is the current round)

15th November, 2013
Time: 7 – 10pm
Results will be announced on the 16th of November.

Rebuttals

17th of November, 2013
Time: 7pm – 10pm

Semi-final

23rd & 24th of November, 2013
Time: 7-10pm each day

Final

30th November
Time: 7pm
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 1:54pm On Oct 29, 2013
Topics to select from for the Elimination Round

1. Spare the rod and spoil the child : True or False

2. Should the man be 100% financially responsible for the family? Yes or No.

3. Abusive Marriage, who is to be blamed? The abuser or the abused.

Debaters are to select one from the topics listed above and indicate which side they are debating for on this thread.

Their presentation should be sent to Tgirl4real - tgirl4real@ ymail.com on or before 6pm on the 15th on November, 2013.

We can start preparing now.

****Good luck to you all*** wink
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 1:56pm On Oct 29, 2013
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 30, 2013
I also want to participate o
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 4:36pm On Oct 30, 2013
Awaiting the announcement of the exact date
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 10:24pm On Oct 30, 2013
Mondisweets: I also want to participate o

OK.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 9:59am On Oct 31, 2013
Tgirl4real: GENERAL RULES GUIDING THE DEBATE
-All Nairaland Forum rules should be strictly adhered to.
-Debaters should not incite their fellow debaters in any manner or use profane languages.
-Members SHOULD address the argument and not the poster.
- All the debating guideline should be adhered to strictly.

DEBATE TIME-TABLE

Elimination Round

15th November, 2013
Time: 7 – 10pm
Results will be announced on the 16th of November.

Rebuttals

17th of November, 2013
Time: 7pm – 10pm

Semi-final

23rd & 24th of November, 2013
Time: 7-10pm each day

Final

30th November
Time: 7pm

Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 10:03am On Oct 31, 2013
Tgirl4real: Topics for Elimination Round

Debaters are to select one from the topics listed above and indicate which side they are debating for on this thread.

Their presentation should be sent to Tgirl4real - tgirl4real@ ymail.com on or before 6pm on the 15th on November, 2013.

We can start preparing now.

****Good luck to you all*** wink
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by LerrieJohn(f): 6:30pm On Oct 31, 2013
Would love to participate as well Tgirl4real.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 9:48pm On Oct 31, 2013
Lerrie John: Would love to participate as well Tgirl4real.

Kool. Not too late. Just follow d instruction. Pick a topic from d Elimination topic and indicate the side you are debating for. Then u can start preparing and send to me on or b4 15th.

Cheers!
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by TV01(m): 9:50pm On Oct 31, 2013
Evening,

Do I make my submission direct to you and will it be "marked" anonymously? Or do I declare my choice here, with my submission posted for the judges to grade and for all to read?

Apologies if you've stated it clearly and I've just failed to pick that up.

Best
TV
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 10:10pm On Oct 31, 2013
TV01: Evening,

Do I make my submission direct to you and will it be "marked" anonymously? Or do I declare my choice here, with my submission posted for the judges to grade and for all to read?

Apologies if you've stated it clearly and I've just failed to pick that up.

Best
TV

Hello Sir,

Good evening. You are to declare your choice on this thread indicating the topic and position you are arguing for, but your submission would be sent to me on or b4 6pm on the 15th. I will post it on behalf of all the debaters all at once.

Only the Elimination round will be marked annonymously.

I hope I answered your question clearly.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Sagamite(m): 10:22pm On Oct 31, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Hello Sir,

Good evening. You are to declare your choice on this thread indicating the topic and position you are arguing for, but your submission would be sent to me on or b4 6pm on the 15th. I will post it on behalf of all the debaters all at once.

Only the Elimination round will be marked annonymously.

I hope I answered your question clearly.

To be frank, I would suggest no one should declare their choice on this thread, they should just send it directly to you.

If all participants decide to declare for 2 of the 3 debate topics and only one person (or even two) declare for the third topic, that can compromise the anonymity desired.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2013
Sagamite:

To be frank, I would suggest no one should declare their choice on this thread, they should just send it directly to you.

If all participants decide to declare for 2 of the 3 debate topics and only one person (or even two) declare for the third topic, that can compromise the anonymity desired.

U are right. I thot of this same thing when responding to TV01.

We will just adopt it.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by DesChyko1(m): 5:55am On Nov 01, 2013
#looking at the date standing miles away#..

There's still loads of time sha..
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by xynerise: 6:58am On Nov 01, 2013
Waiting patiently......
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by xynerise: 7:13am On Nov 01, 2013
@Tgirl, our presentations should be based on what topic?
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 8:24am On Nov 01, 2013
xynerise: @Tgirl, our presentations should be based on what topic?

You decide. Pick any of the 3 topics listed for the Elimination round.

Tgirl4real: Topics for Elimination Round

Debaters are to select one from the topics listed above and indicate which side they are debating on.

Pls send me a mail indicating the topic and position you are debating.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 8:26am On Nov 01, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
#looking at the date standing miles away#..

There's still loads of time sha..

You think so? wink

Yon can start by mailing me your topic and position, so that I can give you a number.

Cheers!
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by xynerise: 10:00am On Nov 01, 2013
Tgirl4real:

You decide. Pick any of the 3 topics listed for the Elimination round.

Pls send me a mail indicating the topic and position you are debating.
Hope the PM thing is working? I just sent u a mail
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 11:08am On Nov 01, 2013
xynerise:
Hope the PM thing is working? I just sent u a mail

Yea, I got and I replied.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 3:36pm On Nov 05, 2013
Hello debaters,

I am still expecting your mails. Thanks. smiley
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 05, 2013
Hello Tgirl, am debating too smiley
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 05, 2013
Bus hahahahahahahahah @ile and @coogar being judges. cheesy grin we will end up judging those two at the end of the day

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

"You Can't Be A Christian And A Feminist" - Nigerian Man On Twitter / Your First Meeting With Your In-laws / Husband Sends Wife Packing For having Her Bath.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.