Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,317 members, 7,839,518 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home (12195 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 01, 2013
St_Black: Brimmie , You are damn right men!!

Though I for one has never in my lifetime crossed the forewalls of this country, Im still trying to phantom how I continue to hold onto this feeling of "no place like home". But at the same time, that doesnt stop me of a possible adventure outside the country in the nearest future....In fact, as im saying these to you right now, there are plans for travelling immediately Im done with my MSc.

However, I wish to contribute on this issue. One thing is, your disposition towards family matters IS a major player that will determine how much you & families members will relate once you are absent in the country.

For a guy who doesnt have time going up & down greeting & socializing with family members here & there, I CAN BET YOU there will be a SUBSTANTIAL LIMIT to how much pressure family members will present to you !!. This is something practical & realistic. Its up to you the individual to be able to know when to play the Compromise & 'I Dont Care' game with them. .......Worse that can occur is for one of them (family members) to table the matter through your Dad & Mum to help them get to you !

And as you know, the above will be the opposite for guys who socialize much with his family members. You cant just leave those who you eat with, drink with, play with, etc several times in the country & expect them not to feel they have someone to be kind with them when he/she is away from home. Its a Two-way thing bro. .....And once you all of a sudden turn a new leaf bro, then you have yourself to blame !!. (I think you get a glimpse of what im saying here)

I for one has been critized by many members for my lack of social presence in the family, both on Mum & Dad's family sides. As im telling you, some of them have developed this sort of despise towards me, but dont care to know why i make myself unavailable for the most part. ....Though Im annoyed with some of them, i still go to their homes & even play with them.

...To cut short my point, Ayo's (as used in your example) responses to friends & family members , especially outside of the nuclear family, depends on the strenght of his relationship with them ALL.

BUT ALL IN ALL, dont stray TOO FAR away from family members, 'cos You dont know Who will be Who in the nearest future.
My 2 cents!!

Sometimes it really amazes me how Nigerians think. If the reason you don't stray too far from family members is because you don't know "Who Will be Who", then I insist on accusing you of the exact thing you seem to accuse others of. How pathetic we can be as Nigerians!
So, you expect that in the future you should be able to curry favour from a family member who probably cheats or perhaps doesn't even cheat their way to fame and fortune?
Please stop! "Not knowing who will be who" shouldn't be your slogan when associating with people. Be yourself first

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by MagicBishop: 5:19pm On Nov 01, 2013
bebe2:

grin grin grin grin
DAMNNNNNNNN BRO.

Ayo should be like:

You (to cashier) empty the til

And to the pharmacist in the booth: put all the methadone and morphine in the bag!

It will be like robbing drug dealers; you get the money and the stash only easier.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Fhemmmy: 5:19pm On Nov 01, 2013
Osama10:

The guy cannot understand until he gets the experience.

Lol . . . Many out of Nigeria will trade places with people in Nigeria all cos of the pressure and expectations
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
clapham:

Please, get it right, all am saying is, if you have and you can spare little give because [b]Sainburys [/b]advert says 'every little help' that is if you have,if not let them know.

simple simple

tesco
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Fhemmmy: 5:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
clapham:

Please, get it right, all am saying is, if you have and you can spare little give because Sainburys advert says 'every little help' that is if you have,if not let them know.

simple simple

That is fair, but no matter how much you let them know, no one blvs you . . . Sucks!
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 01, 2013
1. Don't call yourself what you're not. Don't give people back home the impression that you're rich by posting pictures of you standing in front of another person's car on Facebook.

2. Don't burn bridges, but you can block them pending the time; until you're stable.
NB: This might cause a long term fight/malice, but trust me once you throw a few thousands at them, they would forget that there was a time you refused to pick their calls.
3. Be sincere with your parents, if you're doing well, let them know, if you're not let them know.
4. Deactivate your Facebook account, use twitter (I am really serious about this)

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by MagicBishop: 5:25pm On Nov 01, 2013
Phder: 1. Don't call yourself what you're not. Don't give people back home the impression that you're rich by posting pictures of you standing in front of another person's car on Facebook.

2. Don't burn bridges, but you can block them pending the time; until you're stable.
NB: This might cause a long term fight/malice, but trust me once you throw a few thousands at them, they would forget that there was a time you refused to pick their calls.
3. Be sincere with your parents, if you're doing well, let them know, if you're not let them know.
4. Deactivate your Facebook account, use twitter (I am really serious about this)

so are you ayo?
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by MrCork: 5:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
..OP is 1000,0000,000% right...No wonder this Nigerian babes keep askin me to post Brazillian wig!angry
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by clapham(m): 5:35pm On Nov 01, 2013
Phder: 1. Don't call yourself what you're not. Don't give people back home the impression that you're rich by posting pictures of you standing in front of another person's car on Facebook.

I like your write up, believe me, back in the days, i always upload pictures on fb but after it dawn on me sincerely speaking at moment no one knows my location except my family .
Friends even spread rumour that have been deported years ago, who cares,secrecy is the key when you are outside 9ja shores and know the kind of friend you keep cos some are informat.
i rest my case

I miss Owerri tho even though am yoruba

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Fhemmmy: 5:35pm On Nov 01, 2013

Wonderfully said . . .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 01, 2013
Magic Bishop:

so are you ayo?
No.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by armyofone(m): 5:42pm On Nov 01, 2013
A friend and I was chatting with a course mate recently as we haven't seen him in a while and he was almost crying due to stress of the demand from home and school. 2 of his siblings are demanding money for college fees and his parents are also calling for money. He doesn't know what to do. I just listened and asked him to pray over the situation.
What I don't understand is if your parents can't afford to send you to school why are you doing jamb? Why not learn a trade?
I mean something small for yourself? Why do jamb only for you to start asking others for money? I don't know.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Fhemmmy: 5:43pm On Nov 01, 2013
armyofone: A friend and I was chatting with a course mate recently as we haven't seen him in a while and he was almost crying due to stress of the demand from home and school. 2 of his siblings are demanding money for college fees and his parents are also calling for money. He doesn't know what to do. I just listened and asked him to pray over the situation.
What I don't understand is if your parents can't afford to send you to school why are you doing jamb? Why not learn a trade?
I mean something small for yourself? Why do jamb only for you to start asking others for money? I don't know.

not just prayer, he needs to tell them the way it is, and if they dont listen or blv - he has done his part.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by armyofone(m): 5:44pm On Nov 01, 2013

Right!!
Thumb up!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by armyofone(m): 5:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
agree!!
I should have told him that, lol I was trying to be nice o grin
Fhemmmy:

not just prayer, he needs to tell them the way it is, and if they dont listen or blv - he has done his part.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Fhemmmy: 5:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
armyofone: agree!!
I should have told him that, lol I was trying to be nice o grin

I have come to realize that it is not about being nice but saying it the way it is . . . No matter what you do, people wont blv you anyways - i once told a friend how it is and he told me to stop lying that how come i dont move back to Nigeria if it is how i am saying it is.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by funnyx(m): 5:47pm On Nov 01, 2013
Magic Bishop: The real question should be:

Did Ayo share the same thought process before going abroad that the streets will be paved with gold?

If yes, then Ayo should Man-up and rob the chemist

Rotflmao grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by MagicBishop: 5:47pm On Nov 01, 2013
Phder:
No.

ayodele by any chance ?
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
Magic Bishop:

ayodele by any chance ?
No.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by tpia5: 6:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
our nigerian brethren who go home to splash money like no one's business, should also take note.

you are giving people the impression money grows on trees abroad.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by MagicBishop: 6:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
Phder:
No.

Ayo's alter ego ?
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by InvertedHammer: 6:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
/
Every Nigerian migrant goes through that. I see it as either family members are ignorant or inherently wicked.

Best line of action is call Nigeria with calling cards and make sure they don't have your number for the first 3 years.

Else, they will give you hypertension.

As a matter of fact, the requests are never ending. What they ask are high end luxury items that the ones they are asking may not
even have such as ipad, BB, iphone, etc. Factor in how many people requesting these items from one person. Even if the person na
Dangote or Zuckerberg.

//
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by nora544: 6:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
tpia@:
our nigerian brethren who go home to splash money like no one's business, should also take not.

I know from one every second year when he travel home he takes a loan from his bank that everybody in nigeria see how much money he has, that is also the fake way because here in europa nor in america the money grow on the tree or you can pick it up from the street.

He want to be the big boy at home and here in europa he live together with 3 in an two room house.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by hardbody: 6:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
Brimmie: This is a Fictional Story on what Nigerians in Diaspora faces from their Families and Friends at home.

Questions From Ayo: Is it a crime to go abroad?
Why do people think that people pick money on the street of UK and US?
If you are Ayo what will you do?
Will you consider changing your Phone Number?

MORAL OF THIS STORY:
To Nigerians in Diaspora:
Don't start calling every Harry and Dick that you're in States when you still struggling to secure a Job not to talk of having an apartment.

To Family and Friends at Home: Don't put pressure on these people looking for Greener Pasture. Pressures like the one stated above from Africa (Nigeria) is one of the main reason why we have so many Africans (Nigerians) in prison all over the world because families and friends pushed them to the limit. Worse is the Emotional Blackmail used for selfish reasons.

And it's this same people that will insult the hard working folks that they are Corpse Washers, Toilet Washers, Cleaners and Babysitters.

GOD BLESS!!

Ayo should come home. Simple. If his family is so wretched that without Ayo nothing else goes on.

As have been said by quite a number here, the diasporans are not helping matters. They paint rosy pictures that pass the wrong images to their family members. some of us know how tough it is and and we keep some money aside to help you guys start afresh when you come back during xmas and spend stupidly to impress. Again, it dpeneds on the family's pedigree
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by hardbody: 6:23pm On Nov 01, 2013
Fhemmmy:

That is fair, but no matter how much you let them know, no one blvs you . . . Sucks!

Fhemmy, sometimes you guys are not helping yourselves oo.

I sent you a post asking you to inbox me so that i can arrange to get a Lexus GX 450 from your car business, you never borthered to respond. If that is how you carry on with your business, how do you expect to have enough moneyto send to your family here? Just asking
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 01, 2013
Magic Bishop:

Ayo's alter ego ?
Which part of "No" do you not understand? The "N"? or the "O"?
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by coogar: 6:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
tpia@:
our nigerian brethren who go home to splash money like no one's business, should also take note.

so i should not enjoy my hard-earned money because others are poverty-stricken? if people want to believe money grows on trees, that's their problem.

i work hard for money & i deserve to spend as i please. the scenario painted by the OP is just fiction. if ayo can't cope with the demand, he should change jobs or go back to lagos.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Fhemmmy: 7:14pm On Nov 01, 2013
hardbody:

Fhemmy, sometimes you guys are not helping yourselves oo.

I sent you a post asking you to inbox me so that i can arrange to get a Lexus GX 450 from your car business, you never borthered to respond. If that is how you carry on with your business, how do you expect to have enough moneyto send to your family here? Just asking

Chairman, i am so sorry Sir . . . i am sure that request fell through the crack and sincere apologies . . . please send me your mail and i will act on that almost right away . . . We dont joke with our responses to clients, Once again, Apologies and with this kinda mistake, we will give you at automatic 2% off the total price Sir . . .
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by 0monnakoda: 7:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
GustavoFring:

So many things wrong with your story mate.

1.) He cannot pay a mortgage and be renting at the same time
2.) Why is he buying a car and paying the attendant taxes/dues while on a security man's lowly salary? Highly unlikely to happen in real life.
3.) I know people who work as cleaners,security men, etc who still own homes.In the UK AND Naija. It CAN be done.

I know its a fictional account, but stop trying to portray the struggle as harder than it actually is.

if you have nothing meaningful to say ,observe quietly
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Fhemmmy: 7:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
GustavoFring:

So many things wrong with your story mate.

1.) He cannot pay a mortgage and be renting at the same time
2.) Why is he buying a car and paying the attendant taxes/dues while on a security man's lowly salary? Highly unlikely to happen in real life.
3.) I know people who work as cleaners,security men, etc who still own homes.In the UK AND Naija. It CAN be done.

I know its a fictional account, but stop trying to portray the struggle as harder than it actually is.

I am sure we all understand what the gentleman is trying to say, it is not about the actual facts
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by coogar: 7:28pm On Nov 01, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Chairman, i am so sorry Sir . . . i am sure that request fell through the crack and sincere apologies . . . please send me your mail and i will act on that almost right away . . . We dont joke with our responses to clients, Once again, Apologies and with this kinda mistake, we will give you at automatic 2% off the total price Sir . . .

what about my mails that you ignored 50 times? if one ignored mail = 2% then 50 ignored mails = 100%. it then means i am getting my car free of charge. grin
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 01, 2013
Magic Bishop:

Ayo's alter ego ?
Try Olubayo, there's an Ayo I'm it grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN ‘Concludes’ Payment Of ALL Verified FX Claims By Foreign Airlines / Seven Ways To Beat, Survive Lagos Traffic / Netherlands Visa Refused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.