Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival (19194 Views)

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story / OONI-- Seven Day Curfew Begins In Ife / Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 01, 2013
DnigerianPrince:
Well that's what I meant, it's simply another way to say go out at this time and your safety isn't guaranteed. That's an indirect way of saying the police (government) can't protect you, the rule of law doesn't stand at this point. That's completely wrong and.unacceptable

Right, he owns the land and can do whatever he wants on it until he infringes on the rights of the citizens, there's a line there bro. There are rules on how far below and above you can go when it comes to land rights.

I'm not surprised all of these is happening, Nigerians do not respect the rule of law and would rather bribe their way through it all. Even those screaming injustices are mostly for self gains, just as bad as the violators. Everyone is guilty and my advice is for you guys around the area to do anything to protect yourself and your family even if it involves following the absurd rule

Yes, their safety isn't guaranteed because they were warned before hand. Anyway, I don't see any infringement on the rights of the citizens since they were warned about it - and customary laws are allowed in the constitution. That's the custom of the land and you need to respect it.

Let me do a comparative analysis. I live in a Christian country where the laws are well laid out. And everyone knows you're indirectly asked to stay indoors on Christmas day. Despite the fact that an overwhelming percentage of the people aren't Christians based on the definition of what Christianity is. Because most the indigenous people who make up about over 80% of the population don't go to church. However, regardless of your religious background, or belief-system - you've to respect what Christmas is about and stay in your house on Christmas day. If you go out on that day and find yourself stranded in the middle-of-nowhere because trains and buses aren't working - that's your cross and you've to carry it.

And as for the people protecting themselves - there's absolutely no point doing that as long as they can play by the rules.

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by coogar: 5:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: women, strangers and men who arent initiated are not permitted to be outdoor when the oro procession is on-going

thanks for this clarification....
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by tellwisdom: 5:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
Which sane person lives where masquerade parades?? sad
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 01, 2013
coogar:

thanks for this clarification....
You are welcome brother
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 01, 2013
Polio: This thread reeks of tribalism and bigotry.

Idolatory
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 01, 2013
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Acidosis(m): 5:43pm On Nov 01, 2013
tellwisdom: Which sane person lives where masquerade parades?? sad

The question should be which fcki.n masquerade parades where humans live?

This to me sounds like a threat to other religion..

It means no vigil
No Morning mass
No Muslim prayers...

Chai, I trust my Pastor, na dis kain time Vigil dey sweet pass grin

If dem born them well, let them trespass...

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by DnigerianPrince: 5:47pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

Yes, their safety isn't guaranteed because they were warned before hand. Anyway, I don't see any infringement on the rights of the citizens since they were warned about it - and customary laws are allowed in the constitution. That's the custom of the land and you need to respect it.

Let me do a comparative analysis. I live in a Christian country where the laws are well laid out. And everyone knows you're indirectly asked to stay indoors on Christmas day. Despite the fact that an overwhelming percentage of the people aren't Christians based on the definition of what Christianity is. Because most the indigenous people who make up about over 80% of the population don't go to church. However, regardless of your religious background, or belief-system - you've to respect what Christmas is about and stay in your house on Christmas day. If you go out on that day and find yourself stranded in the middle-of-nowhere because trains and buses aren't working - that's your cross and you've to carry it.

And as for the people protecting themselves - there's absolutely no point doing that as long as they can play by the rules.

Why should my safety not be guaranteed if I choose to go out at night? Any threat to my.safety at that point is, and should be illegal. Of course you can be robbed or mugged but that's not legal and I don't see any criminal announcing his/her intention beforehand (of course I lied, it happens in the same Nigeria)

Yeah going out at 3am isn't the smartest thing to do but things happen and you could be out there. All I'm saying is there's no other way around it, you can't give room to a law that puts your life at risk.

You mentioned England and Christmas, the fact that it's Christmas doesn't mean I'm gonna stay at home if I don't want to. Agreed I may be stranded but that's my discretion as long as you ain't saying if I go out on Christmas, I could get hurt or even killed, that's an entirely different ball game.

I mentioned earlier it's ok to practice your religion, I'm all for equal rights for all and I'll keep same ground if it was a Christian or a Moslem that was threatening people's safety. Of course we all know there isn't TRULY equal rights for all.

I'm gonna let it rest here as I see us going back and forth so I might as well agree to disagree on it.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: Take your sermon to chinu achebe, i thought he said you ibos wiped the yorubas off with one fantastic burst of energy(sic). For your information the yorubas would not forfeit their cultural practices just to make some ungrateful visitors convenient
Lakhadimar, is it because I spoke out against the trend of hate that is slowly becoming the norm on almost every thread these days, that you just concluded that I am Igbo?
Read that post again? I respect the Yorubas, they have a rich cultural heritage just like other ethnic groups, and they try to preserve it and make it relevant (although, cultures are dying the world over, and soon it will faze out because of globalization)
My grouse is the attitude of hate that permeates every thread that has Igbo/Yoruba in it. Its disgusting!!

Are there no Yorubas living in Oniru Estate, Hausas, Idomas, Ibibios, Igalas, etc? The thread now looks as if this "advisory" note is being targeted at the Igbos?

Do you have Igbo friends? Relations? Colleagues? Neighbors?
If yes, can you be proud to show them your posts/comments on Nairaland?

(Same question to the Igbo people on Nairaland)
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: Take your sermon to chinu achebe, i thought he said you ibos wiped the yorubas off with one fantastic burst of energy(sic). For your information the yorubas would not forfeit their cultural practices just to make some ungrateful visitors convenient
Lakhadimar, is it because I spoke out against the trend of hate that is slowly becoming the norm on almost every thread these days, that you just concluded that I am Igbo?
Read that post again? I respect the Yorubas, they have a rich cultural heritage just like other ethnic groups, and they try to preserve it and make it relevant (although, cultures are dying the world over, and soon it will faze out because of globalization)
My grouse is the attitude of hate that permeates every thread that has Igbo/Yoruba in it. Its disgusting!!

Are there no Yorubas living in Oniru Estate, Hausas, Idomas, Ibibios, Igalas, etc? The thread now looks as if this "advisory" note is being targeted at the Igbos?

Do you have Igbo friends? Relations? Colleagues? Neighbors?
If yes, can you be proud to show them your posts/comments on Nairaland?

(Same question to the Igbo people on Nairaland)
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by funnyx(m): 5:57pm On Nov 01, 2013
Larufa: What about the Redeemee Church, Deeper life, Mountain of Fire, Nasfat etc, all having the programs on the every busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway??
and obstructing vechicular movement to other parts of Nigeria. The Oro festival organiser are even better in informing residents about the do's and dont's during the duration of their activities.

Thank you jare, if it's the Christians or Muslims doing their thing it's fine but if it is the Oro people they'll start to whine and many of them are educated and apparently 'tolerant'.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by airfinance(m): 5:58pm On Nov 01, 2013
Mynd_44:
In the Arab world, Sallah festivities go on for 10 days. Public holiday stretches that long.

During the month of Ramadan, most restaurants close and those that don't must put blinds on their windows so those who are eating inside cannot be seen from the outside. Public eating is banned and clubbing/partying are curbed by the government.

The countries who do this include Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman etc. All countries with trade advances and are moving up in development without anyone going to tell them they are backward.

Everyone have been warned a week before the time and told the necessary steps.

If you have an urgent medical need, they will always allow you pass. The reason for shutting everywhere down is so that no one sees what they should not see and start saying someone put a hex/curse on them but if you want to defy it, they won't charge you to court or arrest you.

Just dare it and you might find what you are looking for
Thank God you said their governments...smh
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
DnigerianPrince:
Why should my safety not be guaranteed if I choose to go out at night? Any threat to my.safety at that point is, and should be illegal. Of course you can be robbed or mugged but that's not legal and I don't see any criminal announcing his/her intention beforehand (of course I lied, it happens in the same Nigeria)

Yeah going out at 3am isn't the smartest thing to do but things happen and you could be out there. All I'm saying is there's no other way around it, you can't give room to a law that puts your life at risk.

You mentioned England and Christmas, the fact that it's Christmas doesn't mean I'm gonna stay at home if I don't want to. Agreed I may be stranded but that's my discretion as long as you ain't saying if I go out on Christmas, I could get hurt or even killed, that's an entirely different ball game.

I mentioned earlier it's ok to practice your religion, I'm all for equal rights for all and I'll keep same ground if it was a Christian or a Moslem that was threatening people's safety. Of course we all know there isn't TRULY equal rights for all.

I'm gonna let it rest here as I see us going back and forth so I might as well agree to disagree on it.

You know how cold winter is during Christmas. So you might get frostbite, and cold does kill people. A lot people do die during winter because of the cold. Now imagine staying out stranded in the cold for a long period because buses and trains aren't working. So you can't really sue no one for that because people are warned about what Christmas represents in the country all the time.

I think the same applies to this particular topic. And from what I can see on the paper the OP posted, there isn't any threat on there. Just an awareness about the custom/tradition/culture of the land and the people being responsible for whatever happens to them, if they disobey it.

Being alive itself is a risk - however, you should be good, if you play by the rules. There are rules to everything, just play by it.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Rhino5dm: 6:05pm On Nov 01, 2013
special_zobo: ..lol which ikwerre festival are you talking abt?you saw two headless bodies and conclude dat dey were killed because dey were sturborn...pls come up with something better...

Ask any ikwerre man from Romuolomeni axis.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Samxiulee: 6:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
In as much as we have customarily laws in lagos state,"Mr"oba oniru has no right to restrict anyone's movement this is a republic,he should pray his pro does not hurt anyone in that area,with this fliers he just made himself culpable of any incident of assault in that area.
He should do his oro in his palace please.
Btw its high time we get rid of this traditional titles cum fake rulers.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Trailii: 6:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sam xiu lee: In as much as we have customarily laws in lagos state,"Mr"oba oniru has no right to restrict anyone's movement this is a republic,he should pray his pro does not hurt anyone in that area,with this fliers he just made himself culpable of any incident of assault in that area.
mayb we should start with obi of onisha nd your village igwe. Do d needful or port back to your hamlet in alaigbo.

3 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Trailii: 6:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sam xiu lee: In as much as we have customarily laws in lagos state,"Mr"oba oniru has no right to restrict anyone's movement this is a republic,he should pray his pro does not hurt anyone in that area,with this fliers he just made himself culpable of any incident of assault in that area.
mayb we should start with obi of onisha nd your village igwe. Do d needful or port back to your hamlet in alaigbo. D choice is urs

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 01, 2013
Trail ii: mayb we should start with obi of onisha nd your village igwe. Do d needful or port back to your hamlet in alaigbo. D choice is urs
Nice response
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by vislabraye(m): 6:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
Orikinla: These ritual cultists must be arrested.
They don't have any constitutional right to make their own laws in Nigeria.
Will they stop police and military patrol at night?

When white people are using their own juju to invent internet and other awesome inventions to advance human civilization, primitive black people are using their own juju for witchcraft. And some people here are giving them thumbs up?
No wonder many people here still prefer to live in darkness and backwardness in the 21st century.

My brother, that's the point. You can imagine all commercial activities and military patrol coming to a halt.
As long as people spend millions to build empires, Oniru just can't call the shots.
Nb: For safety reasons, I will advise people to stay at home.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by vislabraye(m): 6:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

You know how cold winter is during Christmas. So you might get frostbite, and cold does kill people. A lot people do die during winter because of the cold. Now imagine staying out stranded in the cold for a long period because buses and trains aren't working. So you can't really sue no one for that because people are warned about what Christmas represents in the country all the time.

I think the same applies to this particular topic. And from what I can see on the paper the OP posted, there isn't any threat on there. Just an awareness about the custom/tradition/culture of the land and the people being responsible for whatever happens to them, if they disobey it.

Being alive itself is a risk - however, you should be good, if you play by the rules. There are rules to everything, just play by it.

shocked. I don't believe you can make such comparison. Its just so funny. In the first place, no one in England or Alaska will warn U not to go out during winter, U are the one who will determine whether to stay @ home or not.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by vislabraye(m): 6:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

shocked. I don't believe you can make such comparison. Its just so funny. In the first place, no one in England or Alaska will warn U not to go out during winter, U are the one who will determine whether to stay @ home or not.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 01, 2013
vislabraye:

And where did I cite Alaska? If you don't know Xmas is a stay-at-home day in the UK - that's your prerogative.

As for Alaska - I've never been there and I don't ever want to go there. So whatever they do over there is non of my business.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by TechWalker007: 7:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
When I say Lagos is an urban village many argued and attacked me. Where I live, when its time for their festival, curfew is between 11pm and 5am.
When I first came to Lagos, I didn't know about it. When it was time for the festival, I was both shocked andf angry.

In this same Lagos where they claim they are civilised? The same Lagos that you can spend 5 hours on the road and you can't predict traffic?

All these jobless people will tell you to run inside and lock your doors after selling you a property for premium price?

They shouldn't use gen and shut windows and doors and Lagos can be very hot?

Anyway, it's just a matter of time.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by TechWalker007: 7:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

And where did I cite Alaska? If you don't know Xmas is a stay-at-home day in the UK - that's your prerogative.

As for Alaska - I've never been there and I don't ever want to go there. So whatever they do over there is non of my business.

If you go out on X-mas day in UK, will you be attacked by the locals?
Please don't use such comparison, its ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by pickabeau1: 7:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
Tragic that archaic practices like this still abound
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by TechWalker007: 7:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
When we say we need National Conference, some folks will attack us.

How can a people tell everyone to sit at home whether or not you believe in their religion? Total disregard for the constitution!
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
sparkle Red:
Neva u say dat again angry
I guess u dnt know whachu sayin
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Ijebulogic(m): 7:23pm On Nov 01, 2013
There are a number of Churches within this Private Estate - The Congregation should challenge the Church leaders to arrange a seven day vigil between 10pm and 4am during the same period. In fact candle night vigil and March on the streets. Sadly collecting Tithes may be more important than speaking up against evil.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by greggng: 7:25pm On Nov 01, 2013
Most of you shouting go back to your village! The last time I checked you guys are not from lagos state. Stop ur childish noise here. You call using innocent peoples blood for sacrifice culture? No wonder you guys are so barbaric
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by isalegan2: 7:44pm On Nov 01, 2013
zeelo2014: All windows must be shut & the generators off. Just imagine? In 2013?

It's just one night. Suck it up!
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
TechWalker007:

If you go out on X-mas day in UK, will you be attacked by the locals?
Please don't use such comparison, its ridiculous.

Can you cite anywhere in what was posted where it was asserted that people would be attacked by the locals?

And have you got a brain in your skull? undecided

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by isalegan2: 7:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
TechWalker007:
Anyway, it's just a matter of time.

A matter of time for what? Don't make threats, ol' boy. wink

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Burial Arrangement For The Olubadan Oba Samuel Odulana Odugade 1 / "DURO" Na Yoruba Be Dis ??? / Etsu Nupe Marks Birthday Today Ahead Of 20th Anniversary On Throne This Weekend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.