Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,225 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival (19151 Views)

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story / OONI-- Seven Day Curfew Begins In Ife / Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 01, 2013
plusfield: This is a typical yoruba setting. No matter how educated or enlightened or even repented they seem,they will always support and engage in fettish and idolatory acts. A generation that doesn't fear the Lord. I don't expect any yoruba person to see anything wrong with this. Idol worshipping and sacrifice is just a way of life for them. A people still far from christ

I'm a Christian as well. However, since black people got introduced to Christ about 400 years ago and we've served the Christian faith more than any other race of people. Heck, we're now the face of Christianity. However, we've remained at the bottom of the totem pole of basically everything. Perhaps, it's time we started trying something new and probably bring something that worked for us in the past into the present.

I guess that's why I stopped going to Church and why I've decided to make my Sundays a day to sleep and rest. I might get active in the crusade again when black folks get out of the bottom of everything, but till then, no time for time wasters.

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by livinbygrace: 11:05pm On Nov 01, 2013
d citizen:
That is why i love the igbo pple as a tribe. If that practice has been in igbo, igbo will have confronted the cultural practice and demystify it a long time ago with courage and boldness and intelligence. Great invention and civilisation are built on caurage , temerity and sound reasoning

Culture is dynamic and evloving. Thinking pple not slowpoke and coward pple redefine culture and move on. I strongly believe that there is nothing wrong with us dat cannot be cured by what is wrong it us. I believe in conservatism keeping what is worth keeping and progessivism discarding what is worth discarding. To me, i think oro practice is a retrogressive culture dat is counterproductuve and has outlived its purpose.

A white man from far europe invaded nigeria and held our pple hostage and exported them to europe for exploitation and slave trade thereby creating identity crises. Why cannot the gods in yoruba, igbo or hausa stop them? Is our god afraid of the white skin?

I have said and i am saying it again that anybody that is still practicing oro festival restricting movement in the 21st century has not fully evolved. He or she still belongs to the stone age.

The worst tragedy of a man is self delusion or deceit. Pple claimd dat oro practice help to secure a community? How true is it? I live in an area where two opc security men were brutally murdered by armed robber in the middle of the nait. One was beheaded by gang of armed robber, while the other one was thrown into a life transfomer and he was electrocuted to dealth despite the voodoo and charms dat they both possessed. 3 days, later, some group of traditional ppl decided to carry out oro festival to cleanse the land from armed robbery, but the incidence of robbery still persist and i am yet to see confession from the gang of robbers. It is a pity dat we have a vast proportion of nigerians dat are still living in self deciet and delusion. May God help us in this country and save us frm self-inflected ignorance and delusion

Keep quiet,why cant they chalenge the OSU SAGA?NO DEY RUN UR MOUTH ANYHOW,or u be OSU?

5 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by guiddoti: 11:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
zeelo2014: All windows must be shut & the generators off. Just imagine? In 2013?
My brother, Nigeria is still in dark age.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by proudlyAfrica(m): 11:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
This nonsense reminded me of what happened in 2006, in Surulere. People were not duely informed that they would hold this demonic ritual...It happened that they mistakely killed the only son of the oba who was returning frm a school in Lagos @ nite, thinking that he was a son of the soil, so to say, therefore could return at anytime he chose,,,the incident caused a very big crisis wthin the group then, the Oba lashed @ them that it was intentional...people were very much happy about it- (nemesis or what?) ...Another one happened in 2007 when they were accosted by fully-armed-robbers who were inside a danfoe bus. Menh it was not funny, what happened? the robbers opened fire on them when they tried to do ''we are doing oro, stop! So that we can have your heads'' ...their leader fell down after engulfing some bullets, and the other fellows took to their heels (if the foundation is destroyed, what can the people do?). In The following morning, the news filtered everywhere and the people once again jubilated @ their public disgrace....this is a demonic practice, it should not be encouraged at all for God's sake...satanic ambassadors!!! And for those of you who are justifying it, smh for u,,,u neeed jesus in ur lives...

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by makizee(m): 11:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
Almost every topic on nairaland these days can be turned into an avenue for tribal bashings and all...really pathetic...anyways, I be confirmed islander (isale eko) awa aromi sa legbe legbe, I schooled in ikorodu and I can say here dt if there is any cultural practice I think yorubas should do away with, its Oro ish...back then is secondary school, oro festival in ikd meant we had no class on these days (yipee) but as I grew older, I saw the silliness in restricting peoples movement just because some of you have this religious/ cultural stuff you do, it is wrong, do ur stuff but you have absolutely no right to tell me I have to stay in doors and not come out (effectively imprisoning me) just because you want to dance around naked and shit, there was one time I was driving my mum from ogun coming to lagos and we had to take a detour cuz of heavy traffic, we entered a village and were informed oro was going, see my poor mother on panic mode, she had to hide behind d seats and covered up in her own car just because of oro..WTF !...there are so many instances where one would just have to go out during their festival and it could be matters of life and death...don't get me wrong, my cultural defending omo odua, everyone is free to practice whatever faith they choose to,its even a plus for yorubaland, but denying others the God given freedom of movement is just plain stupid, same with the rubbish enviromental sanitations saturdays of Lagos ( but at least dt na just for a few hours and early saturdays are usually slow) we can manage....my point is. That oro guys should find a way to do their ish without infringing on others the right of movement.

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Zet72(m): 12:17am On Nov 02, 2013
Mynd_44:
In the Arab world, Sallah festivities go on for 10 days. Public holiday stretches that long.

During the month of Ramadan, most restaurants close and those that don't must put blinds on their windows so those who are eating inside cannot be seen from the outside. Public eating is banned and clubbing/partying are curbed by the government.

The countries who do this include Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman etc. All countries with trade advances and are moving up in development without anyone going to tell them they are backward.

Everyone have been warned a week before the time and told the necessary steps.

If you have an urgent medical need, they will always allow you pass. The reason for shutting everywhere down is so that no one sees what they should not see and start saying someone put a hex/curse on them but if you want to defy it, they won't charge you to court or arrest you.

Just dare it and you might find what you are looking for
Are we in the Arab world? this is Nigeria,more like a secular state...
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Larufa(m): 1:31am On Nov 02, 2013
These are my watchwords:

“Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t”

“Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams”

"Give to Caesar what is Caesar's”

Or else you may venture to confront the Oro masquerade and test the “efficacy” and dept of you modern day faith.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by bigtt76(f): 5:49am On Nov 02, 2013
Approved! Please do the Needful grin

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by oduaboy1: 6:50am On Nov 02, 2013
proudlyAfrica: This nonsense reminded me of what happened in 2006, in Surulere. People were not duely informed that they would hold this demonic ritual...It happened that they mistakely killed the only son of the oba who was returning frm a school in Lagos @ nite, thinking that he was a son of the soil, so to say, therefore could return at anytime he chose,,,the incident caused a very big crisis wthin the group then, the Oba lashed @ them that it was intentional...people were very much happy about it- (nemesis or what?) ...Another one happened in 2007 when they were accosted by fully-armed-robbers who were inside a danfoe bus. Menh it was not funny, what happened? the robbers opened fire on them when they tried to do ''we are doing oro, stop! So that we can have your heads'' ...their leader fell down after engulfing some bullets, and the other fellows took to their heels (if the foundation is destroyed, what can the people do?). In The following morning, the news filtered everywhere and the people once again jubilated @ their public disgrace....this is a demonic practice, it should not be encouraged at all for God's sake...satanic ambassadors!!! And for those of you who are justifying it, smh for u,,,u neeed jesus in ur lives...
my dear stop lieing
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:15am On Nov 02, 2013
Ijebulogic:

[b]Oga ......[/b]I urge you to research The Current Awujale of Ijebu land (Adetona)'s position on this blood-letting "festival". He denounced it many years ago and refuses to participate in the rituals. So if my position is not any different from the position of the Awujale of Ijebuland (where this cult originated), then your point is Mute sir.

Go ask the Olu of Warri what happened to him when he tried to change the custom of the Itsekiri people.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Ijebulogic(m): 8:27am On Nov 02, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

That goat is ibo, stop taking him serious.

LOL!!!!
Two things I don't get dragged into on Nairaland is 1. Insults and 2. Tribalism.
But if you must call me a goat, I will prefer you call me an "Ewure". That's the He-Goat with a bushee goatee. He is the king of all the goats and tastes very nice with efo-riro and pounded yam....LOL!!!!

Also my brother - when you become obsessed about Nairaland Handles and trying to guess where someone is from (Ibo, Yoruba, Indian, Lebanese) your brain will never process what they are saying objectively. I urge you to seek wisdom and maturity and leave all this Gra-Gra behind...LOL.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by bailingo: 9:52am On Nov 02, 2013
It's so obvious that we have too many kids here, why should any one disturb other people from going about their daily businesses, all in the name of a religion, we have so many people working shifts, and could return home at night, some could even have emergencies to attend to, the truth about nigerians is, we dont ever say the truth, you ask me not to turn on my gen in a country where power is not stable. please we better wake up and stop all these nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by fkayode: 9:56am On Nov 02, 2013
This tradition is not of God and so does not have foundation, it will soon die. By the time their children gives their lives to Christ there will be no one to continue it. It is just a matter of time.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 02, 2013
so let me guess.. oro festival is meant to cleanse th eland and bring about prosperity and fertility.. well can't argue with the fertility part with all the single mothers and fatherless children all over lagos.. that has got to count for something.. otherwise.. it has been shitt over the last 100 years since this oro thing started.. illiterates
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Samxiulee: 12:15pm On Nov 02, 2013
Trail ii: mayb we should start with obi of onisha nd your village igwe. Do d needful or port back to your hamlet in alaigbo. D choice is urs
am lagosian by origin...not an Igbo,Nigeria is a republic,by that am not a subject to any Oba,Obi,Sultan Emir or whatever,I own my sovereignity,if the place is a private estate and the have their rules cool,but if not I will drag "mr"oba oniru to court for assault.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by TechWalker007: 12:20pm On Nov 02, 2013
bakynes:

FYI the Yorubas were the one that first clamoured for a National conference after the June 12 Election was annulled.

What then happened to Tinubu and the APC 40 thieves?
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by TechWalker007: 12:23pm On Nov 02, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

So, national conference will now stop us from observing our norms and traditions? Just get the hell out to your village, where nobody can stop your from roaming about nakked.

You my friend is a child. Grow up.

Your tradition, and mine too, should not supersede the National Constitution that has given a Nigerian freedom of movement and religion.

If a man can tell every body to sit inside and you can shout "go back to your village" like a child, we need a constitution of the people if we must leave together.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 12:25pm On Nov 02, 2013
First of all, the tribalism on this forum is frightening. People need to grow up.
Secondly, I saw some posts about how the Oro festival is a custom and the constitution respects customary law. That is true, but not the whole truth. The constitution and courts respect only customs that are not repugnant to natural justice. I think the Oro festival, with all the human rituals ( if they are true ) is repugnant. I am a christian, but even if I wasn't, I still would not support a custom that allows human sacrifice and I don't think anybody should.
Again, some other people said that the Oro guys have the right to do what they want. That's just misguided logic. If everyone was given the right to do what he wanted, nobody would live for long. Afterall, Jihadists, Terrorists and serial killers would be claiming that it is there right to do what they do.
Then the issue of the Oniru owning the land; the truth is the Governor holds all the land in the state under the law. However, the Oniru family has a sort of ownership of the lands that have been in their family through a kind of implied C of O. If they sell these lands, it is no longer theirs. If they lease out property, the people they lease them to, have the rights to enjoy such property in peace. Locking a person up even to the extent of not using the generator is not peaceful enjoyment of property.
So on all. grounds, the festival ( if it permits human sacrifice and restricts movement ) is not a good custom. I am in support of African culture but only the right ones must be kept. If twins were still been thrown into forests, some of us would not be alive today. The only problem is that in Nigeria, the right things won't be done because of sentiments and tribal divisions.
This was quite long sha. Lol. shocked cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by naptu2: 12:35pm On Nov 02, 2013
Finally, someone has touched on one of the misconceptions. Human sacrifice. Is there really human sacrifice? This question was answered by the palace in 2003 during Oba Akiolu's coronation (I wonder if anybody can find it). If you believe that there is human sacrifice, then I'll have to ask you if you also believe that Egungun is a spirit that came from heaven and if the "Oro sound" is actually made by a dog.

The second misconception has to do with people who are outside on an emergency (health issues, etc). I wonder who will raise that issue.

The discussion has been very interesting so far, apart from the occasional bigoted post.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by GentleMimi: 2:41pm On Nov 02, 2013
madam_oringo:

Now you know LAGOS has ORIGINAL OWNERS?? grin grin I dare you to go and walk around the affected area at 12 am, and tell them it is no man's land! LMAO...we will surely be rid of the empty liability that is you in Nigeria. Go back to your village / region because whether you like it or not, we know ourselves and one day, you will surely leave our lands! grin grin angry angry
Wow! You are soooo pained! Choi!
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by GentleMimi: 3:46pm On Nov 02, 2013
Hahaha! Just read thru the comments on this thread and realized smfin.....i hv developed a thick skin for NL haters.I knew this thread was gonna turn tribalistic,where people wld use this media to vent their accumulated anger and hatered.But outside this walls,most of us are cowards.Good riddance! Get a life people! Online internet champions.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Afolabs101: 5:04pm On Nov 02, 2013
naptu2: Finally, someone has touched on one of the misconceptions. Human sacrifice. Is there really human sacrifice? This question was answered by the palace in 2003 during Oba Akiolu's coronation (I wonder if anybody can find it). If you believe that there is human sacrifice, then I'll have to ask you if you also believe that Egungun is a spirit that came from heaven and if the "Oro sound" is actually made by a dog.

The second misconception has to do with people who are outside on an emergency (health issues, etc). I wonder who will raise that issue.

The discussion has been very interesting so far, apart from the occasional bigoted post.

So is there human a sacrifice or not? But actually, how would anyone who is not part of the Oro know? It's not like they'd divulge that information to outsiders.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by feyisan: 6:17pm On Nov 02, 2013
Actually for Oro festival men are free to move around. Only women are prohibited for a reason not to disclosed here.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 03, 2013
Some supposedly educated and 'enlightened' posters here (some of who claim to live in civilised societies like the UK and USA) have been talking from both sides of their mouth, so to say. Others shamelessly justify this barbarism that is absolutely unjustifiable in the eyes of the law in 2013 Nigeria. These are the same hypocritical twerps that are always quick to lecture us about democracy and constitutionality (only) when it serves their oily interests.

In this case, they see nothing undemocratic or unconstitutional in one irrelevant and barbaric tribal/religious group violating the rights and freedoms of other law-abiding citizens. One brainless bumpkin even had the nerve to compare this oro nonsense to the Argungu Fishing Festival, Durbar, Ofala, and other cultural delights that are celebrated tourist attractions.

No wonder 'these people' are renowned for hypocrisy, double-standard, doublespeak, and duplicitousness. Such a shame.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 03, 2013
Just a question though.. does this oro edict affect the movement of security forces like the police and army.. if so it is a good time for boko-haram to plant decisive bombs in critical parts of Lagos without fear or apprehension. We all know the results of a yoruba and hausa clash.. idi-araba incident is not lost on the cowardly yoruba who launched a tribal war on the handful of hausamen back then. grin
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by harrymilky: 12:17am On Aug 05, 2014
i am short of words after readíng all post on oro. I an frest graduate who just secured a job in lagos. My agent never told me anything of this ten days interval land cleasing. I two days old in ajiran. The keke i entered today just spoked about it. I an even surprise to fine so much debate on it online. Pls i have spent all i have on this accomodation. My questions are am i safe as a stranger? If yes, how do i leave peacefully untill i could relocated? Pls i need all posible imformatión to enable know the deeds and dont. ThNks
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by VaselineCrew: 2:35am On Aug 04, 2022
See what so called educated Nigerians are supporting.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Receives Miss Tourism Nigeria Contestants At His Palace. PICS / Etsu Nupe Marks Birthday Today Ahead Of 20th Anniversary On Throne This Weekend / "DURO" Na Yoruba Be Dis ???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.