Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,955 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday (9703 Views)

Lagos Assembly Orders Relocation Of Mile 12 And Owode Markets / Onyenewe-Motors: Access Banks Shut In Enugu Due To Lack Of MONEY to pay DEBTOR!! / Prices Of Food Items Soar In Lagos Markets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by badmrkt(m): 10:51am On Nov 02, 2013
Thought some fools complained about GEJ shutting down air space thats has nothing or less to do with the populace yesterday? Shutting down a whole market because of stupid traditional at this age is quite inhumane.

6 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by oduaboy1: 10:52am On Nov 02, 2013
The legendary whiners are here again,must an ibo man complain for everything,if you cant comply with the traditions of your host please carry yours wares on your Igbo and march with it to the japan of africa(onitcha market).
Now we know who the real owners of the land are.
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Truckpusher(m): 10:59am On Nov 02, 2013
badmrkt: Thought some fools complained about GEJ shutting down air space thats has nothing or less to do with the populace yesterday? Shutting down a whole market because of stupid traditional at this age is quite inhumane.
Don't mind these ACN turned APC GOONS and POLITICAL PROSTITUTES .Who knows what name they'll adopt after loosing 2015 because their cheap blackmail and propaganda is being ridiculed everyday with the entire country jeering at their foolery grin
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Italiano1: 11:02am On Nov 02, 2013
Dudu_Negro: Babaloja of Ladipo market will be celebrating birthday also...in November.

We go close road and wear aso ebi. We have aso ebi for emeka, chibuzor and obi. we need your head measurements to fit caps.

grin grin

Anyone that cannot obey the laws of the land can return to the land of the rising sun - the Cannan of our time- land flowing with milk and honey undecided

2 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by tellwisdom: 11:05am On Nov 02, 2013
Baba_Eleko: It's a long age tradition. This happens during Oyekan's reign. It's a cultural thing so make una stfu in advance to other zombies wey go comment after me or go back to Onitsha or Aba as Lakhadimar advised.

Your head and the one of lakhadimarch are not working properly. This is not all about tradition. That Oba is celebrating his birth doesn't warrant a stop of business activities in the real sense. Who da fucck is Oba??

1 Like

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by naptu2: 11:09am On Nov 02, 2013
Finally! Here it is. Market closures are usually ordered by the market associations, but here is the statement from the Iga (Palace).

[size=14pt]OBA OF LAGOS OPTS FOR LOW-KEY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION AS HE TURNS 70[/size]

Posted on October 25, 2013 by Encomium.

Urges admirers, associates, friends to direct proposed fund for advertorials to charity.

As he turns 70 years on October 29, the Oba of Lagos, His Royal Majesty, Oba Riliwanu Babatunde Akiolu 1, has appealed to all those wishing to place advertorials for him, either in the print or electronic media, to forego such plans saying the current atmosphere in the country does not warrant any form of merriment.

In a statement from the Palace signed by his media aides, Tokunbo Mumuni-Eshilokun and Kunle Odufuwa, His Royal Majesty advised such admirers, including individual, corporate and multi-national organizations, to direct funds meant for such advertorials to charity and instead join him in prayers for the peace, stability and unity of the country on that day.

[b]Noting that a good number of individuals, corporate and multinational organizations have actually set in motion various programmes and activities to celebrate the occasion, the statement said much as the Oba appreciates such outpouring of goodwill, he would advise the people to cancel the programmes.

According to the statement, “His Royal Majesty has, accordingly appealed to those who have elected to honour him on his 70th Birthday to direct such funds to the Iga Idunganran Primary Health Care Centre and accordingly contact the Medical Director of the Iga Idunganran Primary Health Care Centre in order to obtain the list of needed drugs and equipment for the furnishing of the hospital”.

While expressing the appreciation of “His Royal Majesty to all donors to the Lagos Monarch Projects Funds which includes Ilupeju Town Hall and Anikantamo Town Hall and Health Centre”, the statement, however, noted that the Iga Idunganran Primary Health Care Centre “which has since been put into public use”, still needs quite a number of equipment to bring it to international standard.

The statement also disclosed that N250 million has been collected so far for the Ilupeju Town Hall and Anikantamo Town Hall and Health Centre projects adding that the amount has since been deposited “in a special project account while the total some required is N650 million”.

On the programmes and events lined up by the Royal Palace to celebrate the occasion, the statement said the event would kick off on Saturday, October 26, with the special cleaning of the Palace and its environs which will end on Sunday, October 27. It enjoined all residents to join in the exercise.

On Monday, October 29, according to the statement, there would be a Muslim prayer between the hours of 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. in the Palace followed by the installation of the new Iyaloja General of Nigeria, Mrs. Folashade Tinubu-Ojo by His Royal Majesty who would be assisted by members of the Lagos Council of Obas and Chiefs “in line with the customs of Lagos State as Oba Dosunmu, who reigned from 1853 to 1885, installed Kosoko as the first Oloja of Lagos”.

The event would be followed by the presentation of the new Olori-Ebi/Overall head of the Bashua Chieftaincy Family in the person of Chief Musiliu Adisa Bashua (SAN) while light refreshment would be served to guests thereafter between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m., according to the statement.[/b]

Meanwhile, the International Lions Club will, in appreciation of His Royal Majesty’s Birthday, embark on free health screening and public enlightenment on preventable diseases such as cholera and measles, among others, at the Iga Idunganran Primary Health Care Centre for all Lagos residents, from November 1 to 6, 2013, the statement said.

http://encomium.ng/oba-of-lagos-opts-for-low-key-birthday-celebration-as-he-turns-70/

Now, remember that PM News says that it has not been able to confirm from the Palace if the story is true.

1 Like

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by ugopeter(m): 11:12am On Nov 02, 2013
madam_oringo:

Stop this LONG useless story! Lagos and all YORUBA land belongs to Yorubas...now you know the owners of the land and their children can do what they want with their lands? grin grin Just carry your bag and go back to your land...you are neither wanted or needed! When will this country allow us to have our own regions / countries?? angry angry angry sad sad
The level of Ethnocentricism you displayed is so annoying. Are u saying your landlord can ask his tenants (including You), not to go to work simply because He want to celebrate his birthday Were it to be a Coronation like the one organized for Tinubu's daughter or any other recognized festival, it will be understandable. If pursued in Court, do you really think the Oba of Lagos would win SMH for some people on Nairaland who we claim to be leaders of tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Italiano1: 11:13am On Nov 02, 2013
tellwisdom:

Your head and the one of lakhadimarch are not working properly. This is not all about tradition. That Oba is celebrating his birth doesn't warrant a stop of business activities in the real sense. Who da fucck is Oba??

He is the traditional ruler of the land that you have migrated to. If you dont like it, go back and do business in Japan of Africa

myads890: The comments from the yorubas on this topic are really funny. You keep insulting the ibos but seem to forget that Lagos would not be as developed as it is without their help. Majority of the shops in the major markets in the state are owned by the ibos while the Yoruba youths concentrate on being idle and practise hooligalism. According to history, most Yorubas in Lagos were slaves and majority of what they own in Lagos were passed down to them by their colonial masters, including their names. If the development of Lagos was left to the Yorubas alone, Lagos wouldn't even have the 3rd mainland bridge.

By the way, the only food Yorubas have are ewedu, efo and amala. Plus ijebu garri. Don't flatter yourselves over the efforts of someone else

Those shops are an eye sore to our state, just calm down and watch out for the demolition of most of these shops very soon. When is the Anambra election? November 17 or thereabout? Ok after that the LASG will commence the business of sanitising the state- measures will include demolition of illegal shops, deportation of destitutes and criminals, the installation of Babalojas and Iyalojas in all markets in Lagos.

Those food that you have mentioned are delicious and yummy. If you have not died by eating Akpu for the last 50 years, then Yorubas have nothing to fear from Amala and Ewedu.

2 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Italiano1: 11:16am On Nov 02, 2013
ugopeter:
The level of Ethnocentricism you displayed is so annoying. Are u saying your landlord can ask his tenants (including You), not to go to work simply because He want to celebrate his birthday Were it to be a Coronation like the one organized for Tinubu's daughter or any other recognized festival, it will be understandable. If pursued in Court, do you really think the Oba of Lagos would win SMH for some people on Nairaland who we claim to be leaders of tomorrow.

Ugo peter, why dont you take the matter to court if you feel strongly about it. grin grin

Wetin persin no go see for this country. grin grin

When you migrate to Yorubaland, you obey all our laws- customary laws included
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by ugopeter(m): 11:22am On Nov 02, 2013
Italiano1:

Ugo peter, why dont you take the matter to court if you feel strongly about it. grin grin

Simple question for you: Can Your Landlord Ask You Not To Go To Work Because Of His Birthday?
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Trailii: 11:22am On Nov 02, 2013
Italiano1:

nd if Ɣøû can't, fuckout. Very simple and straight forward
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by EzePromoe: 11:23am On Nov 02, 2013
Have the markets been shut, or just some guillible people making noise here

1 Like

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 02, 2013
sad there is a lot of hate on this forum.. It is too much and its scary at times. Like you guys can actually kill eachother if you meet face to face. What does it matter if someone is igbo, yoruba or hausa...why should it matter if an igbo man lives in Lagos? Why are people filled with so much hate and bitterness? Can't we just forgive what happened in the past and move ahead? Is this the type of society our future generation will born into? To hate his neighbour simply because they don't speak the same language? It makes me sad. It makes me really sad.

2 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Orikinla(m): 11:32am On Nov 02, 2013
All these primitive native practices must stop if we want to catch up with civilized countries.
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by sewhenu(m): 11:38am On Nov 02, 2013
he's the oba of lagos island..markets can be closed there and other parts of the island..i doubt markets will be cclosed in ikorodu, badagry, epe and other divisions of Lagos state...hes not the oba of lagos state....lagos state doesnt have an oba....there are several obas in lagos...moreover he has his jurisdiction...he cant interfere in matters in other divisions of lagos where u have other first class obas...
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Truckpusher(m): 11:41am On Nov 02, 2013
JustifiedChild: sad there is a lot of hate on this forum.. It is too much and its scary at times. Like you guys can actually kill eachother if you meet face to face. What does it matter if someone is igbo, yoruba or hausa...why should it matter if an igbo man lives in Lagos? Why are people filled with so much hate and bitterness? Can't we just forgive what happened in the past and move ahead? Is this the type of society our future generation will born into? To hate his neighbour simply because they don't speak the same language? It makes me sad. It makes me really sad.
Wake up and smell the coffee sweetheart,that's the way it is and it will even get worse with the unborn generations as long as some people with the same skin color like me and you feel superior and better off than others whilst some tribes believes that they own the country and some are busy calling their hosts fo0ls..........

Some things will never change ,until we completely decide who will be the slave and the master under the barrels of the gun.
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by VICTORCIZA(m): 11:41am On Nov 02, 2013
I wonder what will happen if this order was dished out by Gej?
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by E20BILLION(m): 11:47am On Nov 02, 2013
@justifiedchild, I am really sad abt dis new development. How i wish Yoruba and Igbo could come together to build one great nation and I strongly believed that both nations have what it takes to build a great nation. However, lets try to appreciate and respect one another (being traditions, customary law etc)

Please, lets stop all dis E-HATRED.

I m from Ondo state- Yoruba man.

SHALOM.

1 Like

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by isalegan2: 11:51am On Nov 02, 2013
Orikinla: All these primitive native practices must stop if we want to catch up with civilized countries.

You're such an i.di.ot, I swear. Attention seeking hypocritical old fool.
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by tawa89(f): 11:55am On Nov 02, 2013
tellwisdom:

The land I migrated to?? Which land are you talking about?? Lagos where most of you lots cant afford a better house for yourselves?? or a place where that lazy man would be seated and order miscreants like u to go collect free money to feed himself?? You have been enslaved enough to break the yoke. It's high time you realise some people except buttlickers like yourself don't give a ratazz about whatever fucck he is.
wow! This is the first Tellwisdom is actually getting himself involved in the back and forth ish that goes on here daily. Kai!
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by myads890(m): 11:58am On Nov 02, 2013
Yorubas should stop hating. Just wait till christmas till Ibos leave back to their states for the holidays and see just how scanty Lagos will look. To those commenting on their food, I hope you realize that we don't only eat fufu. We have lots of different types of food that are beyond your imagination.

By the way, Lagos is a business metropolis and other tribes are here to do business, that's all. You can continue eating your amala and ewedu in the dirty mama put canteens served by Yoruba women with no manners and who can barely wash their p.u.s.s.i.e.s.
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by E20BILLION(m): 12:00pm On Nov 02, 2013
@Truckpusher, I really understand how u feel but don't you think there are better ways of dealing with this than preaching hatred. My brother, I was invited to a wedding last weekend nd guess what bro, d husband is a Yoruba man and d wife is Igbo. U need to see d gathering of both nations, I love it.

There is another wedding btw someone I got to know thru a friend today in Enugu, the husband is equally Yoruba while d wife is Igbo.

Please, calm down.

Shalom
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by myads890(m): 12:06pm On Nov 02, 2013
Italiano1:

He is the traditional ruler of the land that you have migrated to. If you dont like it, go back and do business in Japan of Africa

Those shops are an eye sore to our state, just calm down and watch out for the demolition of most of these shops very soon. When is the Anambra election? November 17 or thereabout? Ok after that the LASG will commence the business of sanitising the state- measures will include demolition of illegal shops, deportation of destitutes and criminals, the installation of Babalojas and Iyalojas in all markets in Lagos.

Those food that you have mentioned are delicious and yummy. If you have not died by eating Akpu for the last 50 years, then Yorubas have nothing to fear from Amala and Ewedu.

Lol. When Lagos start demolishing illegal shops where will your iya amala sell her food? Oh, I forgot Yorubas are used to hawking. Never mind. As far as deportation of destitues and criminals go, that's a welcome development as all the illeterate Yoruba youths standing at every bus stop for N50 from hard working drivers and conductors will be put out of business. By the way, who is going to rent the shops when ibos are gone? Yorubas who are used to sharing one toliet and can't even afford to bath? Hahahaha

1 Like

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by myads890(m): 12:12pm On Nov 02, 2013
odua boy: You are a tool with an i.Q of 1 digit,which type of human beings keep developing another man's land yet leave their home to rot away,only one tribe comes to my mind.
The jews of africa

And which kind of human beings stay lazy all day waiting to "tuale" every hard working ibo coming back from work to get money to buy ogogoro and weed. Which kind of people lack the intelligence to develop their own state and still believe they are wise. Which kind of people start and finish a fight by shouting everywhere down but keep quiet when the first slap hits them. Which kind of people love to back bite and are never reliable. We know them and they are called Yorubas.

3 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Truckpusher(m): 12:13pm On Nov 02, 2013
£20BILLION:
@Truckpusher, I really understand how u feel but don't you think there are better ways of dealing with this than preaching hatred. My brother, I was invited to a wedding last weekend nd guess what bro, d husband is a Yoruba man and d wife is Igbo. U need to see d gathering of both nations, I love it.

There is another wedding btw someone I got to know thru a friend today in Enugu, the husband is equally Yoruba while d wife is Igbo.

Please, calm down.

Shalom
Where did i preach hatred ,abi cataract dun chop your eye ni ? undecided
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by naptu2: 12:23pm On Nov 02, 2013
JustifiedChild: sad there is a lot of hate on this forum.. It is too much and its scary at times. Like you guys can actually kill eachother if you meet face to face. What does it matter if someone is igbo, yoruba or hausa...why should it matter if an igbo man lives in Lagos? Why are people filled with so much hate and bitterness? Can't we just forgive what happened in the past and move ahead? Is this the type of society our future generation will born into? To hate his neighbour simply because they don't speak the same language? It makes me sad. It makes me really sad.

To quote a very knowledgeable nairalander, "most of them are paid or are a few people using multiple accounts". She's right.

However, nairaland has given us a wonderful tool. Look beneath any post and you'll see the "report" button. Use it to report any such post that you find. Remember, nairaland rules state:

1. Please post on topic always. Don't derail or tribalize threads.

2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to any Nairaland member.

3. Don't advocate or encourage violent
actions against any person, tribe, race, or group of people.
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Ngwakwe: 12:24pm On Nov 02, 2013
Whenever we condemn the closing of major markets and shutting down tangible percentage of our economy, the only valid answer you receive from the Yorubas will be "it's our tradition"

My question is; if these traditions that are supposed to be dynamic are held too rigidly in these changing times. Why are they no longer scratching their faces with tiger's claws?

Don't misunderstand me, all I meant in that comment is that Culture and tradition should be dynamic and refined to correspond with the metropolitan nature of today's Lagos State.

ndu_chucks:

nwanne, this is unbecoming of you. Goodness gracious!!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help:if U Have Used jiji,ng ,how Reliable And Safe Is It. / Why I Quit Forex!! / CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.