Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,396 members, 7,864,773 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 06:22 AM

Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? - Religion (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? (36743 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / Is There Anything Like Sinful Haircut? / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by evergreen247: 11:12am On Nov 07, 2013
@ Italo, Sal C,
... If you think catholic is best, what can you say about indulgence? If not because of martin Luther King!
.... Prepare for another chapter in catholic for Pope has said that is there is gay lobby among Vatican!!!
... Hope you are wise to know the history of your church and how they print there own Bible version to support their doctrine...
... I want tell anybody here that without Holiness you cannot see the Kingdom of God, no second chance after death, I no why many believe there is second chance is because they feel there is no way to live sinless live in this present World, my brother and sister is highly possible and there is no shortcut to heaven, his word can never be changed because of your believe! IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE A SPOTLESS LIVE, IS SIMPLE, STOP SAYING I HAVE TRY, I'M TRYING ETC, IT CAN NEVER HAPPEN BY YOUR STRENGHT, JUST BE HONEST AND GO TO LORD AND TELL HIM I HAVE TRIED AND FAILED, COME INTO MY HEART AND LIVE, EVEN JESUS SAID IT, THE WORK I DO IS NOT I BUT THE FATHER IS WORKING IN ME, NO MAN CAN PLEASE THE LORD WITH FLESH, FLESH IS COMPLETELY OPPOSITE TO SPIRIT, JUST BE FILL WITH THE SPIRIT OF FATHER AND YOU WILL NOT FULFIL THE LUST OF THE FLESH.
.... Just like Peter when he denied Jesus, God allow us to fail when trying to leave a holy life so that our self confidence will be broken and we will never despise others even if the person commit worst sin because is not by our strength or determination, it is completely by the Spirit of the Lord.
.... To everybody live holy and spotless live now never you think you will get away with it!!!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 11:15am On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

Oh yeah? Maybe it was the infallible Kumuyi that wrote this then:

1Cor 15:29 - Otherwise what shall they do that are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not again at all? why are they then baptized for them?

a piece of advice for you- dont misinterprete me, if you dont understand, ask me before concluding.
Conclusion after misinterpretation is always false and the end result is a lie.

I said 'Paul did not state that' after your question which read 'where are the dead (Paul was talking about)'

the answer clearly meant that Paul did not state where the dead he was talking about were. Understood?
....and not the above conclusion you drew due to inability to comprehend.

italo:
By "reason" you mean the Nigerian street parlance which could mean "manipulate and twist to our favour." Right?

That's it up there, go ahead and twist it as usual.
yawns....

italo:
Shouldn't you answer where the dead in the verse are before you ask me more questions?
now that you understand what I wrote first (I assume), you should also understand the next.

italo:
The Greek word "hades" that was used in that passage doesn't just mean a place of eternal torment.

Hades is the standard translation for Sheol in the Septuagint, Josephus, Philo of Alexandria, and other Jewish works written in Greek.

Like other first-century Jews literate in Greek, early Christians used the Greek word Hades to translate the Hebrew word Sheol. Thus, in Acts 2:27, the Hebrew phrase in Psalm 16:10 appears in the form: "you will not abandon my soul to Hades." (this statement wouldnt make sense if hades were eternal). Death and Hades are repeatedly associated in the Book of Revelation.[36]

The New Testament uses the Greek word Hades to refer to the abode of the dead, a shadowlike existence forgotten by the living (e.g., Acts 2:31; Revelation 20:13).[37] Only[b] one passage describes hades as a place of torment, the story of Lazarus and Dives.[/b][Luke 16:19-31] Here, Jesus depicts a wicked man suffering fiery torment in hades, which is contrasted with the bosom of Abraham, and explains that it is impossible to cross over from one location to the other. Some scholars believe that this parable reflects the intertestamental Jewish view of hades (or sheol) as containing separate divisions for the wicked and righteous.[37][38] In Revelation 20:13-14 hades is itself thrown into the "lake of fire" after being emptied of the dead.

In Latin, Hades could be translated as Purgatorium (Purgatory in English use) after about 1200 A.D.,[39] but no modern English translations relates Hades to Purgatory. as 3 B

Like other first-century Jews literate in Greek, early Christians used the Greek word Hades to translate the Hebrew word Sheol. Thus, in Acts 2:27, the Hebrew phrase in Psalm 16:10 appears in the form: "you will not abandon my soul to Hades." Death and Hades are repeatedly associated in the Book of Revelation.[36]

...from Wikipedia

to justify Purgatory, Italo and Sal C have gone back to the greek word translated 'hell' in that passage which truly is sheol or hades which means 'abode of the dead' (translated Hell) and Jesus himself refers to it as a place of torment.

To link it with Purgatory, they have gone to the Latin meaning which says its purgatory.

Now is purgatory and hell the same?
No.
Catholics teach that souls in purgatory are all heaven bound.

The bible teaches that people in hell will be judged and anybody that his name is not in the book of life will be condemned into the lake of fire (study Rev 20)

we will go through this study and find out if purgatory (as taught by the catholic church) truly exist.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by ajayikayod: 11:15am On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

If you cannot answer the question, please stop bothering me.

To help u from running away from all u r bein asked, lets assume u r correct dt 1 Cor 3:15 is purgatory (so it exist). Ar u ok?
Now We can look at my early post and apply ds too, or u can answer otherwise.

From ur claim on purgatory as d location of d fire trial, dt means Paul, Mary (ur beloved mother Mary), Ur Popes hav all been to d purgatory. If i draw further on ur believe dt d purgatory is meant to clean some sins. That means Paul, Mary, Popes hav all suffered thr becos definately no one is absolutely righteous (pure) in obeying d law.

Was Paul in purgatory?
Was Mary (ur beloved) in purgatory?
Was All ur Popes (Visible head) in purgatory?
U, how long do u think u will burn thr with d way u ar going?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 11:31am On Nov 07, 2013
adsonstone:

a piece of advice for you- dont misinterprete me, if you dont understand, ask me before concluding.
Conclusion after misinterpretation is always false and the end result is a lie.

I said 'Paul did not state that' after your question which read 'where are the dead (Paul was talking about)'

the answer clearly meant that Paul did not state where the dead he was talking about were. Understood?
....and not the above conclusion you drew due to inability to comprehend.

yawns....

now that you understand what I wrote first (I assume), you should also understand the next.

I am asking you, not Paul. If you dont know, say so. Where are the dead in 1 Cor 15:29?

If they were in heaven, would they need the baptism?

If they were in hell, would baptism be of any use?

Pls answer those questions.
adsonstone:
to justify Purgatory, Italo and Sal C have gone back to the greek word translated 'hell' in that passage which truly is sheol or hades which means 'abode of the dead' (translated Hell) and Jesus himself refers to it as a place of torment.

To link it with Purgatory, they have gone to the Latin meaning which says its purgatory.

Now is purgatory and hell the same?
No.
Catholics teach that souls in purgatory are all heaven bound.

The bible teaches that people in hell will be judged and anybody that his name is not in the book of life will be condemned into the lake of fire (study Rev 20)

we will go through this study and find out if purgatory (as taught by the catholic church) truly exist.

It is not Italo and Sal C that wrote the Bible in Greek and Hebrew. It was the Holy Spirit.

Hades/sheol have never necessarily meant the place of eternal torment. You must accept that. If it is not eternal, how can it be the heaven/hell you speak of?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 11:42am On Nov 07, 2013
ajayikayod:

To help u from running away from all u r bein asked, lets assume u r correct dt 1 Cor 3:15 is purgatory (so it exist). Ar u ok?
Now We can look at my early post and apply ds too, or u can answer otherwise.

From ur claim on purgatory as d location of d fire trial, dt means Paul, Mary (ur beloved mother Mary), Ur Popes hav all been to d purgatory. If i draw further on ur believe dt d purgatory is meant to clean some sins. That means Paul, Mary, Popes hav all suffered thr becos definately no one is absolutely righteous (pure) in obeying d law.

Was Paul in purgatory?
Was Mary (ur beloved) in purgatory?
Was All ur Popes (Visible head) in purgatory?
U, how long do u think u will burn thr with d way u ar going?

1Cor3:15 doesnt mention that everybody will suffer loss and be saved as through the fire.

Indeed, v14 shows that some will receive their rewards immediately, without any loss or hassles.

Mary and the Saints (known and unknown) fall into this Category.

As for the Popes, just like the rest of us, some of them are certainly Saints, the others could be Saints, in purgatory or in hell.

Maybe you can help tell us where the dead in 1Cor15:29 are.

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 12:15pm On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

I am asking you, not Paul. If you dont know, say so. Where are the dead in 1 Cor 15:29?

If they were in heaven, would they need the baptism?

If they were in hell, would baptism be of any use?

Pls answer those questions.

we are getting somewhere...calm down, they will be answered.

italo:
It is not Italo and Sal C that wrote the Bible in Greek and Hebrew. It was the Holy Spirit.

Hades/sheol have never necessarily meant the place of eternal torment. You must accept that. If it is not eternal, how can it be the heaven/hell you speak of?

I agree thats (sheol/hades translated hell) is not eternal because the bible confirms its not eternal.
Thank God we are getting somewhere.

regarding the bold, if it has not always been eternal then the hell the rich man was, is not the eternal hell.

Are we on the same page?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 12:24pm On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

1Cor3:15 doesnt mention that everybody will suffer loss and be saved as through the fire.

Indeed, v14 shows that some will receive their rewards immediately, without any loss or hassles.

As for the Popes, just like the rest of us, some of them are certainly Saints, the others could be Saints, in purgatory or in hell.

but the passage says everyman's work will be tested 'by fire' (in the same place) that some will suffer loss and others wont.

If that place is purgatory, Mary and some other saints will pass through without suffering any loss and we both know that according to catholic teaching, no one passes through purgatory without suffering loss.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 12:39pm On Nov 07, 2013
adsonstone:

we are getting somewhere...calm down, they will be answered.

I agree thats (sheol/hades translated hell) is not eternal because the bible confirms its not eternal.
Thank God we are getting somewhere.

regarding the bold, if it has not always been eternal then the hell the rich man was, is not the eternal hell.

Are we on the same page?

Isnt it unfair practice to leave my question pending after I have asked at least two times, only to expect me to answer this question you just asked?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Enigma(m): 12:43pm On Nov 07, 2013
People, be careful and don't allow yourselves to be misled by Roman Catholic denomination people.

What the 1 Corinthian passage says is that some people were being baptised for or on behalf of the dead --- NOT that the dead were being baptised!

What is more. the passage does not say that those who were being baptised "for the dead" were themselves Christians --- and many commentators believe that Paul was talking about pagan practises that the Corinthian Christians could see around them.

This matter was discussed previously here https://www.nairaland.com/1016132/catholic-position-dont-point#11786932

Actually, on that thread one of them said the apostles and Paul especially Paul practised baptism for the dead. When he was refuted he then said that the Roman Catholic church too does not condone it. https://www.nairaland.com/1016132/catholic-position-dont-point/1#11790863

Meanwhile here is a Roman Catholic Bible version on the concerned passage

Otherwise what shall they do that are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not again at all? why are they then baptized for them? (Douay-Rheims)

And here, some other versions

Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them? (NIV)

Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf? (ESV)

Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them? (NASB)

Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead? (KJV)

Beware the leaven of the Roman Catholics!

smiley
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 07, 2013
adsonstone:

If you say the catholic church is the 'true church' by the reason of the sins protestants accuse you of, and the orthodox is 'more guilty' definitely the orthodox must be the 'more true church'.

-They have 3more deuterocanonical books than you do. (worthy of note, they were part of the catholic church in the 4th century you claim you compiled the bible....how come you have two different books in one church?)

-They disagree with your concept of papal infalibility.
- Baptism by sprinkling is not left out of things they disbelieve in. Infact, they do their infant baptism by imersion.
- Infant communion.
- They allow priests to marry (i wonder where you guys learnt that priests shouldnt marry and made it a 'law' in your church).
- Finally, they reject the topic of this thread- purgatory!

Etc
grin grin grin grin grin grin

bros are these the 'numerous' reasons you can think of? you quite amaze meOf corse they do not beleive in the authourity of the pope as the was the major reason of the schism in the first place. About purgatory who told you they dont beleive in it? they only have another version of purgatory not that they do not beleive in the act of purgation or praying for the dead.

On biblical canon the ohodox church do not have a unified canon as most of them use the 73 books with th catholic church with a few churches like the ethiopian orthodox church who has up to 80 canon.

The fact remainms that these churches are 99.999999% similar to the CATHOLIC CHURCH(ALSO CALLED THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH)

http://www.antiochian.org/content/infant-baptism-what-church-believes
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Enigma(m): 12:50pm On Nov 07, 2013
An Eastern Orthodox view on the Apocrypha or "deuterocanonicals" ---- they are not canonical but can be read -------- different from the position of Roman Catholics BUT exactly the same view as many so-called "Protestants" --- as reflected in even the KJV for yonks! wink

http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/answer/39/

Question Number 39:

What is the Old Testament canon of the Orthodox Church? Is the Apocrypha recognized as canonical?

ANSWER:
The Orthodox Old Testament includes both canonical (or protocanonical) books and supplemental books which are not considered canonical (i.e. protocanonical) but deuterocanonical or in Greek Anaginoskomena ("to be read" ).

Deuterocanonical is used here in a sense that is different than the Roman Catholic sense. In Roman Catholic terminology, "deuterocanonical" means approved later but with the same canonical authority. In the Orthodox use, "deuterocanonical" means having secondary authority, but useful and part of the Biblical library (no Orthodox Bible would not contain them). The Scriptures testify to Jesus Christ and since neither Protestants nor Jews recognize these Scriptures, their power to serve as witness is inferior. However, they are read in the Orthodox churches and have great value.

This view is faithful to the position of the earliest Christians (i.e. Justin, Origen) as well as the distinction connected with Athanasius and other important Fathers

smiley
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 07, 2013
i am still waiting for someone to tell me where this "prison" is and for someone to interprete these bible passages

1 Peter 3:19-21

New King James Version (NKJV)

19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited[a] in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ

1 Peter 4:5-6

5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

WHY DID JESUS PREACH THE GOOD NEWS TO THE DEAD? THESE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DEAD SINCE THE TIME OF NOAH'S FLOOD
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 12:58pm On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

Isnt it unfair practice to leave my question pending after I have asked at least two times, only to expect me to answer this question you just asked?

first things first.
You question cannot be answered directly because it does not have a direct answer in the passage it is.

I believe we're getting there.
May we continue to hasten our getting there.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Enigma(m): 1:00pm On Nov 07, 2013
It is interesting that the Roman Catholic denomination people now seem to be contradicting one another on baptism for the dead unless I'm missing something.

In the past, one said that the Roman Catholic church denomination does not "condone" baptism for the dead (see link above). On this thread, another seems to be suggesting that it is a practise of the church!

So which is it? Do Roman Catholics believe in baptism for the dead or not?

grin
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 1:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
adsonstone:

but the passage says everyman's work will be tested 'by fire' (in the same place) that some will suffer loss and others wont.

If that place is purgatory, Mary and some other saints will pass through without suffering any loss and we both know that according to catholic teaching, no one passes through purgatory without suffering loss.

Thankfully, the Bible never mentions that the Saints themselves will encounter any fire. It only says that THEIR WORKS shall be tried and revealed in fire (judgement). If the works abide, Mary and adsonstone will receive their rewards (heaven). Amen?!

If the works dont abide, then comes suffering loss and being saved as through the fire (purgatory).
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 1:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
chukwudi44:
grin grin grin grin grin grin

bros are these the 'numerous' reasons you can think of? you quite amaze meOf corse they do not beleive in the authourity of the pope as the was the major reason of the schism in the first place. About purgatory who told you they dont beleive in it? they only have another version of purgatory not that they do not beleive in the act of purgation or praying for the dead.

On biblical canon the ohodox church do not have a unified canon as most of them use the 73 books with th catholic church with a few churches like the ethiopian orthodox church who has up to 80 canon.

The fact remainms that these churches are 99.999999% similar to the CATHOLIC CHURCH(ALSO CALLED THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH)

http://www.antiochian.org/content/infant-baptism-what-church-believes

oga, calm down nau.

Hope you can mention the 99.999999% of doctrines you both agree on, if you cant, keep quiet....and if you can, go ahead and list them.

The few I mentioned make up the major differences and its greater than 0.00001% (which already makes you a liar).
If you need more, Enigma will give you.

....and as I said, list out the 99.99999% of same doctrines that you claim you have.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 1:07pm On Nov 07, 2013
adsonstone:

first things first.
You question cannot be answered directly because it does not have a direct answer in the passage it is.

I believe we're getting there.
May we continue to hasten our getting there.

Do you know where the dead are or not?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 1:10pm On Nov 07, 2013
Enigma: It is interesting that the Roman Catholic denomination people now seem to be contradicting one another on baptism for the dead unless I'm missing something.

In the past, one said that the Roman Catholic church denomination does not "condone" baptism for the dead (see link above). On this thread, another seems to be suggesting that it is a practise of the church!

So which is it? Do Roman Catholics believe in baptism for the dead or not?

grin
Nobody is suggesting anything, you will do well by giving an answer to that question.

If people are baptized for the dead, where are the dead?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 1:11pm On Nov 07, 2013
chukwudi44: i am still waiting for someone to tell me where this "prison" is and for someone to interprete these bible passages

19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited[a] in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ

5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

WHY DID JESUS PREACH THE GOOD NEWS TO THE DEAD? THESE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DEAD SINCE THE TIME OF NOAH'S FLOOD

And its been days now. No answer.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Enigma(m): 1:14pm On Nov 07, 2013
adsonstone:

oga, calm down nau.

Hope you can mention the 99.999999% of doctrines you both agree on, if you cant, keep quiet....and if you can, go ahead and list them.

The few I mentioned make up the major differences and its greater than 0.00001% (which already makes you a liar).

....and as I said, list out the 99.99999% of same doctrines that you claim you have.

Of course the ones you have mentioned have already debunked the claim that Roman Catholics like to peddle about the Orthodox. And considering that this thread is about purgatory*, the examples you gave have already knocked down the falsehood.

I can give more but I'm going to make that discussion one of my timing but just to demonstrate it I give just one here: immaculate conception.

*PS I personally wouldn't bother to argue with the Roman Catholic people about doctrines which are uniquelv and exclusively theirs. If they want to believe in such stuff as purgatory, "immaculate conception" and "assumption of Mary", I leave them to all that.

It is when they make false claims concerning all of us that I can be bothered with them e.g. someone lying patently that the apostles practised baptism for the dead.; oh, and resorting to further lies to cover up. wink

smiley

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 1:14pm On Nov 07, 2013
adsonstone:

oga, calm down nau.

Lolz Enigma my seperated brother, help of the helpless.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 1:15pm On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

Thankfully, the Bible never mentions that the Saints themselves will encounter any fire. It only says that THEIR WORKS shall be tried and revealed in fire (judgement). If the works abide, Mary and adsonstone will receive their rewards (heaven). Amen?!

If the works dont abide, then comes suffering loss and being saved as through the fire (purgatory).

you have a 'wuru.wuru' explaination there.
How can the initial fire mean 'judgement' and the subsequent mean 'purgatory'?

If your explanation is true, what happens to those that will be condemned to hell?

....and pls, note.: the passage says 'as through ('by' in some version) #figure of speech...and not that anyone will go through fire.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 07, 2013
adsonstone:

oga, calm down nau.

1.the father is GOD
2.The son is GOD
3.tHE Spirit is GOD
4.ALL three are one GOD
5.Jesus died for our Salvation
6.Jesus rose on the third day
7.Mary remained a perpertual virgin
8.Beleif in the validity of infact baptism
9.Prayers for the dead
10.Veneration of saints
11.Use of Images
12.Beleif on the sacraments
13.Beleif on the docrine of apostolic succession
14.Beleif in the validity of the deutoroncanonms
15.Belief in the validity of scriture + sacred tradition
16.Beleiof in the writings of the early chruch fathers
17.Beleif on the ecumenical councils before the schism

........ETC

I CAN GO ON AND ON

fyi I dont in arguments with trolls so if yo have nothing to discuss better back off

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH(ALSO CALLED THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHUIRCH) IS DOCTRINALLY SIMILAR TO THE ORTHODOX CHURCH
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Enigma(m): 1:18pm On Nov 07, 2013
Sal C: Nobody is suggesting anything, you will do well by giving an answer to that question.

If people are baptized for the dead, where are the dead?

You too want to dodge? lol grin

You will have to address:
1. who was doing baptism for the dead?
2. Do Roman Catholic denomination people believe in baptism for the dead?

smiley
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by amaralizzy40y: 1:22pm On Nov 07, 2013
[quote
author=Sal C]Dear I don't mind anything from you. If you want us to
continue, address my earlier post. Stop concluding without facts just
prove yourself or forget it.[/quote]my dear i beleive u dn't knw wht 2 say again cos i own u no explanation.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 07, 2013
chukwudi44: i am still waiting for someone to tell me where this "prison" is and for someone to interprete these bible passages

STILL WAITING FOR ANSWERS I SEE THE HYPOCRITES ARE DODGING THIS BIOIBLE PASSAGE THA MOST SUCCINTLY DESCRIBES THE CATHOLIC DOCTRINE OF PURGATORY SMH FOR COWARDS
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by evergreen247: 1:36pm On Nov 07, 2013
chukwudi44:

1.the father is GOD
2.The son is GOD
3.tHE Spirit is GOD
4.ALL three are one GOD
5.Jesus died for our Salvation
6.Jesus rose on the third day
7.Mary remained a perpertual virgin
8.Beleif in the validity of infact baptism
9.Prayers for the dead
10.Veneration of saints
11.Use of Images
12.Beleif on the sacraments
13.Beleif on the docrine of apostolic succession
14.Beleif in the validity of the deutoroncanonms
15.Belief in the validity of scriture + sacred tradition
16.Beleiof in the writings of the early chruch fathers
17.Beleif on the ecumenical councils before the schism

........ETC

I CAN GO ON AND ON

fyi I dont in arguments with trolls so if yo have nothing to discuss better back off

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH(ALSO CALLED THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHUIRCH) IS DOCTRINALLY SIMILAR TO THE ORTHODOX CHURCH
So you believe marry remain perpetual Virgin, do you read your Bible with open mind? Have come across this verse matt 12:46-50, 13:55 etc
..... The usual verse you ppl quote about wedding, Jesus called marry "Woman" what does that tell you?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 1:42pm On Nov 07, 2013
Enigma:

You too want to dodge? lol grin

You will have to address:
1. who was doing baptism for the dead?
2. Do Roman Catholic denomination people believe in baptism for the dead?

smiley
I've known you and your style for quite some time now so don't try to use those pranks here. You dodged my question and want me to answer yours.

Well irrespective of who practiced it, we cannot deny that it was practiced and Paul made reference to it. Now can you be sincere enough to answer that simple question begging for an honest answer?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 1:45pm On Nov 07, 2013
adsonstone:
you have a 'wuru.wuru' explaination there.
How can the initial fire mean 'judgement' and the subsequent mean 'purgatory'?

....and pls, note.: the passage says 'as through ('by' in some version) #figure of speech...and not that anyone will go through fire.

You're arguing in my favour. You've pointed out that the initial is not the same as the subsequent.

Thank you.

Another thing to note, we dont necessarily say that the purgation means being in fire.

But even if purgation is being in fire, we know that it is God who judges, punishes in hell, purges in purgatory and loves in heaven...and God is a "consuming fire. "
adsonstone:
If your explanation is true, what happens to those that will be condemned to hell?

Find them in v17.

17 - But if any man violate the temple of God, him shall God destroy. For the temple of God is holy, which you are.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by ajayikayod: 1:45pm On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

Maybe you can help tell us where the dead in 1Cor15:29 are.

Please can u show me dt in d scripture dt Mary and Paul didnt go to purgatory? D bible say all will be tested. Where? U said its purgatory. By d function of d Law, Mary and Paul arent pure by ur standard. D whole church was called saints in d scripture. Whether they received reward or not is another thing, d major info here is dt Mary and Paul also were in ur purgatory
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 1:45pm On Nov 07, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
my dear i beleive u dn't knw wht 2 say again cos i own u no explanation.
I've actually said a lot on this thread and still saying, but all I see you do is repeat thesame thing. Well I don't expect otherwise. I will ignore you till you grow up.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 1:49pm On Nov 07, 2013
Sal C: I've known you and your style for quite some time now so don't try to use those pranks here. You dodged my question and want me to answer yours.

Well irrespective of who practiced it, we cannot deny that it was practiced and Paul made reference to it. Now can you be sincere enough to answer that simple question begging for an honest answer?

You are looking for a sincere answer from that one? grin

It would be easier for you to find a live dinosaur.

Well...except God is about to perform a miracle.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (33) (Reply)

Long Snake Killed At Apostolic Church In Lagos (Photos) / Psalm 23 In Pidgin / Young Muslims In The UK Clean Up Street After New Year's Eve Celebrations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.