Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,593 members, 7,861,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 08:41 PM

Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? - Religion (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? (36729 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / Is There Anything Like Sinful Haircut? / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 1:52pm On Nov 07, 2013
evergreen247: So you believe marry remain perpetual Virgin, do you read your Bible with open mind? Have come across this verse matt 12:46-50, 13:55 etc
..... The usual verse you ppl quote about wedding, Jesus called marry "Woman" what does that tell you?

What has "woman" got to do with virginity.

I heard Nigerians sell their kidneys in Malaysia.

Have they started selling their brains?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 1:55pm On Nov 07, 2013
chukwudi44:

STILL WAITING FOR ANSWERS I SEE THE HYPOCRITES ARE DODGING THIS BIOIBLE PASSAGE THA MOST SUCCINTLY DESCRIBES THE CATHOLIC DOCTRINE OF PURGATORY SMH FOR COWARDS

They are waiting for their oga to twist and manipulate it...
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 1:58pm On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

You are looking for a sincere answer from that one? grin

It would be easier for you to find a live dinosaur.

Well...except God is about to perform a miracle.
Lol... Enigma na my own separated brother. Since am involved, I trust he will be sincere for once.

Enigma no fall my hand oo.
*waiting*
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 07, 2013
why did st Paul pray for his late Friend Onesiphorous in 1tim 1:18
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 2:02pm On Nov 07, 2013
ajayikayod:

Please can u show me dt in d scripture dt Mary and Paul didnt go to purgatory? D bible say all will be tested. Where? U said its purgatory. By d function of d Law, Mary and Paul arent pure by ur standard. D whole church was called saints in d scripture. Whether they received reward or not is another thing, d major info here is dt Mary and Paul also were in ur purgatory

Not all people will be tested, but their works which is judgement.

Afterwards, some PEOPLE (Saints)will receive their rewards immediately without wahala(Heaven)

Others will be saved o, but they will suffer loss and it will be as if they passed through fire.(purgatory)

Where are the dead in 1Cor 15:29?

When will you ever answer a question?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 2:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
Sal C: Lol... Enigma na my own separated brother. Since am involved, I trust he will be sincere for once.

*waiting*

I hear o. "E go beta, e go beta, na him make man tey for Lagos."--Nigerian proverb.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Mrlouis: 2:19pm On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

just resorting to insults yet hasnt been able to convince any one here beyond any doubt that purgatory exists
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by evergreen247: 2:22pm On Nov 07, 2013
chukwudi44:

STILL WAITING FOR ANSWERS I SEE THE HYPOCRITES ARE DODGING THIS BIOIBLE PASSAGE THA MOST SUCCINTLY DESCRIBES THE CATHOLIC DOCTRINE OF PURGATORY SMH FOR COWARDS
Here is the answer if you care to know with open mind!
... Revelation 20:11-15, you can see from there that there is final Judgements where those that are already in hell and Heaven will be judged and both those in Hell ( maybe you call it purgatory), Hell itself and death will be cast to lake of fire which is called second death and those in Heaven to everlasting life. From those verse you quoted it pretty shows that they are being preached to for the conviction of their sins and from this Revelation, it pretty shows that nobody that found itself in hell will come out of it. Be very sure I will not respond here again apart from one quote below, if you like continue in white lies so that you will be saved in purgatory ( which don't exist), or make heir while sun shines!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by evergreen247: 2:30pm On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

sorry sir, are you saying all this to be saved in purgatory? To be sincere who is missing it here? I mention the popular verse that you use to justify adoring Marry like God that JESUS called her "women" in response to her request which pretty shows how much He regards her.
.... I quoted scriptures regarding "perpetual virgin" where His mother Marry, and His brothers are looking for him and He didn't regard any of them. Please Repent and be Born again!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 2:34pm On Nov 07, 2013
Mrlouis: just resorting to insults yet hasnt been able to convince any one here beyond any doubt that purgatory exists

I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

But I'm not trying to convince you.

I can tell that even if a compassionate dead man were to rise and tell you about purgatory, you will not believe.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Enigma(m): 2:37pm On Nov 07, 2013
Sal C: I've known you and your style for quite some time now so don't try to use those pranks here. You dodged my question and want me to answer yours.

Well irrespective of who practiced it, we cannot deny that it was practiced and Paul made reference to it. Now can you be sincere enough to answer that simple question begging for an honest answer?

I see you are learning techniques and even language from your Roman catholic denomination brothers! Interesting. In fact I notice that one of them, who is also one of my crybabies, has already jumped on your post. smiley

You'd better be careful or soon you too will be lying ok saying that you do not read my posts. grin

OK to your point: first I will let you in on a little secret --- I do not even know what question of yours you are referring to and I did not even bother to go back and check after reading your post. That is how serious (NOT!) I take whatever questions you guys might have been posing.

However, just to let you know that I fear no question you may pose and for the benefit of anyone who genuinely has questions about baptism for the dead, I already gave a link to an old thread earlier. On that thread I made a number of posts that extensively addressed the passage in which the apostle Paul mentioned baptism for the dead. You can start from the following link and also read my subsequent posts wink https://www.nairaland.com/1016132/catholic-position-dont-point#11789828

And talking of pot calling kettle black, obviously you guys have no answers to the various questions and points I raised about the false and fraudulent claims made by Roman Catholics on various things and of course you would not then comment on the various tactics used by your brothers to avoid answering them.

Let me throw one at you --- and of course in fairness I do not expect you to answer it or to answer it here. I just want it to prick your conscience. wink

If the Roman Catholic church denomination "canonised" the Bible in the 4th century, how come the Roman Catholic "pope" Gregory I did not know about it in the 5th and 6th centuries? wink

smiley
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 2:38pm On Nov 07, 2013
evergreen247: sorry sir, are you saying all this to be saved in purgatory? To be sincere who is missing it here? I mention the popular verse that you use to justify adoring Marry like God that JESUS called her "women" in response to her request which pretty shows how much He regards her.
.... I quoted scriptures regarding "perpetual virgin" where His mother Marry, and His brothers are looking for him and He didn't regard any of them. Please Repent and be Born again!

Just go so you dont feel insulted again.

It is better to ignore your jargons than to tell you what you truly deserve to hear.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Enigma(m): 2:45pm On Nov 07, 2013
Sal C: Lol... Enigma na my own separated brother. Since am involved, I trust he will be sincere for once.

*waiting*

Ah, here is another thing you have got wrong! I am not your "separated" brother. Make you find your "separated" brother go forward! grin

It is either I am your brother or I am not your brother. wink

It is a pity that many of you do not know the root of some of these things that some mumu ogas at the top of Roman Catholics are making you people say and which you people are repeating thoughtlessly, I'm very sorry to say. At least it is an improvement on "heretic" or "schismatic" which in truth is what they say you are supposed to call us and which is still in your books even though one slightly better fellow came up with the idea of "separated brethren". wink

smiley
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Thersa: 2:48pm On Nov 07, 2013
If you are proudly catholic....kindly like this page...https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-Being-a-Practicing-Catholic/245960532227926

Lets unite to strengthen our faith.

God bless you all.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by ajayikayod: 3:12pm On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

Not all people will be tested, but their works which is judgement.

Afterwards, some PEOPLE (Saints)will receive their rewards immediately without wahala(Heaven)

Others will be saved o, but they will suffer loss and it will be as if they passed through fire.(purgatory)

Where are the dead in 1Cor 15:29?

When will you ever answer a question?

U r not answering wat u r asked. Lets finished ds one on 1Corith 3:15 b4 moving to another scripture, stop jumping around.

1 Cor 3:13-15, D bible says all work will b tested by fire (including Mary/Paul, u and me works). Where is ds test carried out? Wat is d name of d place? Earth, Heaven, Hell, Purgatory or wat?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Mrlouis: 4:47pm On Nov 07, 2013
Thersa:
If you are proudly catholic....kindly like this page...https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-Being-a-Practicing-Catholic/245960532227926

Lets unite to strengthen our faith.

God bless you all.
thats what am saying. They cant proove that purgatory exist rather they come to change the subject matter. Ask this thersa whether purgatory exists, HE/she would say yes. Oya proove. They start going round and round or odas start quoting book of macabees and zebrudaya.. Lol

. So far so good. The protestants have being able to proove beyond every reasonable doubt that purgatory exists..yes did i say exists? Yes .because purgatory exists only in the overzealous imagination of a troubled mind nd nt in reality. Feeble purgatorians. Hahahahha

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2013
evergreen247: Here is the answer if you care to know with open mind!
... Revelation 20:11-15, you can see from there that there is the final Judgements and where those that are already in hell and Heaven will be judged and both those in Hell ( maybe you call it purgatory), Hell itself and death will be cast to lake of fire which is called second death and those that Heaven to everlasting life. From those verse you quoted it pretty shows that they are preached for the conviction of their sin and from this Revelation it pretty shows that nobody that found itself in hell will come out of it. Be right sure I will not respond here again apart from one quote below, if like continue in white lies so that you will be saved in purgatory (don't exist) , or make heir while sun shines!

very poor write up? what has hell got to do with the prison mentioned in that passage? smh for you folks
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2013
Mrlouis: thats what am saying. They cant proove that purgatory exist rather they come to change the subject matter. Ask this thersa whether purgatory exists, HE/she would say yes. Oya proove. They start going round and round or odas start quoting book of macabees and zebrudaya.. Lol

. So far so good. The protestants have being able to proove beyond every reasonable doubt that purgatory exists..yes did i say exists? Yes .because purgatory exists only in the overzealous imagination of a troubled mind nd nt in reality. Feeble purgatorians. Hahahahha

continue hallucinating
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 5:49pm On Nov 07, 2013
ajayikayod:

U r not answering wat u r asked. Lets finished ds one on 1Corith 3:15 b4 moving to another scripture, stop jumping around.

1 Cor 3:13-15, D bible says all work will b tested by fire (including Mary/Paul, u and me works). Where is ds test carried out? Wat is d name of d place? Earth, Heaven, Hell, Purgatory or wat?

Still awaiting the first answer you'll ever give me.

Without that, I will only answer you if/when I feel like.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by evergreen247: 6:31pm On Nov 07, 2013
chukwudi44: i am still waiting for someone to tell me where this "prison" is and for someone to interprete these bible passages

1 Peter 3:19-21

New King James Version (NKJV)

19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited[a] in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ

1 Peter 4:5-6

5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

WHY DID JESUS PREACH THE GOOD NEWS TO THE DEAD? THESE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DEAD SINCE THE TIME OF NOAH'S FLOOD
Here is the answer if you care to know
with open mind!
... Revelation 20:11-15, you can see from
there that there is final Judgements where
those that are already in hell and Heaven
will be judged and both those in Hell
( maybe you call it purgatory), Hell itself
and death will be cast to lake of fire which
is called second death and those in
Heaven to everlasting life. From those
verse you quoted it pretty shows that they
are being preached to for the conviction
of their sins and from this Revelation, it
pretty shows that nobody that found itself
in hell will come out of it. Be very sure I
will not respond here again apart from
one quote below, if you like continue in
white lies so that you will be saved in
purgatory ( which don't exist), or make
heir while sun shines! HELL CAN BE REGARDED AS PRISON. KEEP ARGUING,!!!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by evergreen247: 6:31pm On Nov 07, 2013
chukwudi44: i am still waiting for someone to tell me where this "prison" is and for someone to interprete these bible passages

1 Peter 3:19-21

19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited[a] in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ

1 Peter 4:5-6

5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

WHY DID JESUS PREACH THE GOOD NEWS TO THE DEAD? THESE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DEAD SINCE THE TIME OF NOAH'S FLOOD
Here is the answer if you care to know
with open mind!
... Revelation 20:11-15, you can see from
there that there is final Judgements where
those that are already in hell and Heaven
will be judged and both those in Hell
( maybe you call it purgatory), Hell itself
and death will be cast to lake of fire which
is called second death and those in
Heaven to everlasting life. From those
verse you quoted it pretty shows that they
are being preached to for the conviction
of their sins and from this Revelation, it
pretty shows that nobody that found itself
in hell will come out of it. Be very sure I
will not respond here again apart from
one quote below, if you like continue in
white lies so that you will be saved in
purgatory ( which don't exist), or make
heir while sun shines! HELL CAN BE REGARDED AS PRISON. KEEP ARGUING UNTIL WHITE LIES LAND YOU INTO SO CALLED PRISON!!!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 7:03pm On Nov 07, 2013
Enigma:

I see you are learning techniques and even language from your Roman catholic denomination brothers! Interesting. In fact I notice that one of them, who is also one of my crybabies, has already jumped on your post. smiley

You'd better be careful or soon you too will be lying ok saying that you do not read my posts. grin

OK to your point: first I will let you in on a little secret --- I do not even know what question of yours you are referring to and I did not even bother to go back and check after reading your post. That is how serious (NOT!) I take whatever questions you guys might have been posing.

However, just to let you know that I fear no question you may pose and for the benefit of anyone who genuinely has questions about baptism for the dead, I already gave a link to an old thread earlier. On that thread I made a number of posts that extensively addressed the passage in which the apostle Paul mentioned baptism for the dead. You can start from the following link and also read my subsequent posts wink https://www.nairaland.com/1016132/catholic-position-dont-point#11789828

And talking of pot calling kettle black, obviously you guys have no answers to the various questions and points I raised about the false and fraudulent claims made by Roman Catholics on various things and of course you would not then comment on the various tactics used by your brothers to avoid answering them.

Let me throw one at you --- and of course in fairness I do not expect you to answer it or to answer it here. I just want it to prick your conscience. wink

If the Roman Catholic church denomination "canonised" the Bible in the 4th century, how come the Roman Catholic "pope" Gregory I did not know about it in the 5th and 6th centuries? wink

smiley
Though i know what a joker you are and how tricky you try to be, I went through the thread in question, and all I can say is that Pastor AIO, Chukwudi44 and Souldust to mention but a few deserve a pat on the back for making a mess of you and your likes. You ended up venting your anger on AIO. Lol.

I don't even know why you are proud enough to refer to that thread. Smh
AIO and Souldust are non catholics like you yet they fall your hand.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Enigma(m): 7:08pm On Nov 07, 2013
^^^ If you think so. smiley

On that thread, even your Roman Catholic brother was begging me to explain things to him --- specifically including the passage on baptism for the dead. wink

I see now that you too are now completely "falling hand" --- I guess my posts are hitting home and the truth is hurting.

However NO apologies! If Roman Catholics lie, they will have to suck it if the lie is exposed. QED wink

smiley
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by peteregwu(m): 7:16pm On Nov 07, 2013
THE TRUTH IS THIS, IF YOU BELIEF IN PURGATORY, IT MEANS YOU ARE ALREADY ON YOUR WAY TO HELL FIRE.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by woky: 7:29pm On Nov 07, 2013
peteregwu: THE TRUTH IS THIS, IF YOU BELIEF IN PURGATORY, IT MEANS YOU ARE ALREADY ON YOUR WAY TO HELL FIRE.
sharap
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 7:38pm On Nov 07, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ If you think so. smiley

On that thread, even your Roman Catholic brother was begging me to explain things to him --- specifically including the passage on baptism for the dead. wink

I see now that you too are now completely "falling hand" --- I guess my posts are hitting home and the truth is hurting.

However NO apologies! If Roman Catholics lie, they will have to suck it if the lie is exposed. QED wink

smiley
Lol nobody asked you for anything. You were simply beating about the busy in the face of a glaring truth.
They even went as far as teaching you church history, you should be thanking them.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Enigma(m): 7:41pm On Nov 07, 2013
^^^ And I will continue to do the same thing. Those who find it helpful will find it helpful and those who see it as beating about the bush can suck it. wink

smiley
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by amaralizzy40y: 8:59pm On Nov 07, 2013
[quote
author=peteregwu]THE TRUTH IS THIS, IF YOU BELIEF IN PURGATORY, IT
MEANS YOU ARE ALREADY ON YOUR WAY TO HELL FIRE.[/quote]SECONDED
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 9:01pm On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

You're arguing in my favour. You've pointed out that the initial is not the same as the subsequent.

Thank you.
that is the malicious explaination I opposed. In that context, they can never have different meanings because Paul was talking about exactly the same place.
I support that it is judgement 'fire' not purgatory. (reason: the passage says 'the day of the Lord which definitely means Judgement and that everyone passes through that stage)
If you say that fire is purgatory, we'll put in the text context.

Original words. 1Cor 3:13-15

13. Each one's work will become clear; for the day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is.
14. If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward.
15. If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

In judgement context, it will read.

13. Each one's work will become clear; for the day (judgement day) will declare it, because it will be revealed by (judgement); and the (judgement) will test each one's work, of what sort it is.
14. If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward.
15. If anyone's work is burned (in judgement fire), he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through (jugdement).

In your purgatory context, it will read thus

13. Each one's work will become clear; for the day (purgatory day) will declare it, because it will be revealed by (purgatory); and the (purgatory) will test each one's work, of what sort it is.
15. If anyone's work is burned (in purgatory fire), he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through (purgatory). cheesy

your subsequent post is not relevant to what is being discussed.

italo:
Find them in v17.

17 - But if any man violate the temple of God, him shall God destroy. For the temple of God is holy, which you are.

this is another thing entirely....not pertaining to the purgatory issue...and if you say they will be destroyed, will they also pass through 'purgatory ' as preceding verses say they will?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 9:03pm On Nov 07, 2013
'
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 9:18pm On Nov 07, 2013
adsonstone:
that is the malicious explaination I opposed. In that context, they can never have different meanings because Paul was talking about exactly the same place.
I support that it is judgement 'fire' not purgatory. (reason: the passage says 'the day of the Lord which definitely means Judgement and that everyone passes through that stage)
If you say that fire is purgatory, we'll put in the text context.

Original words. 1Cor 3:13-15

13. Each one's work will become clear; for the day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is.
15. If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

In judgement context, it will read.

13. Each one's work will become clear; for the day (judgement day) will declare it, because it will be revealed by (judgement); and the (judgement) will test each one's work, of what sort it is.
15. If anyone's work is burned (in judgement fire), he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through (jugdement).

In your purgatory context, it will read thus

13. Each one's work will become clear; for the day (purgatory day) will declare it, because it will be revealed by (purgatory); and the (purgatory) will test each one's work, of what sort it is.
15. If anyone's work is burned (in purgatory fire), he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through (purgatory). cheesy

your subsequent post is not relevant to what is being discussed.

The above is largely irrelevant. You deliberately misconstrued my position because that is the only way you can argue against me.

Where did I say the fire is purgatory?
adsonstone:
this is another thing entirely....not pertaining to the purgatory issue...and if you say they will be destroyed, will they also pass through 'purgatory ' as preceding verses say they will?

No. It is not another thing. It is those going straight to eternal damnation with no redemption. No purgatory.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 9:47pm On Nov 07, 2013
italo:

The above is largely irrelevant. You deliberately misconstrued my position because that is the only way you can argue against me.

Where did I say the fire is purgatory?

you said the passage relates to purgatory....and the fire should mean 'purgatory fire' too.

Well, sorry for misunderstanding your point.
Now, to be clear.
Where or what exactly is the passage talking about. Judgement or purgatory?

italo:
No. It is not another thing. It is those going straight to eternal damnation with no redemption. No purgatory.

Alright.

Does that mean these set of people will not pass through the stage verse 13 is talking about when it said 'everyman'?

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (33) (Reply)

Pope Francis Threatens To Fire Nigerian Priests / Man And His Horse Wearing Lord's Chosen Apron (Photo) / Long Snake Killed At Apostolic Church In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.