Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,140 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

How To Deal With A Maid That Steals - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Deal With A Maid That Steals (10327 Views)

How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? / 23yr Old Barren Woman Steals 5-yr-old Boy In Rivers (photo) / She Wants A Maid I Don't Like (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by GoldFinch(m): 1:46am On Jul 13, 2008
Aunty my bum

Aunty that the children are allowed to disrespect.

Funny thing is, most children don't respect their maids.

They're even allowed to command the maid.

shior.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by onyinye2(f): 1:48am On Jul 13, 2008
Gold*Finch:

Aunty my bum

Aunty that the children are allowed to disrespect.

Funny thing is, most children don't respect their maids.

They're even allowed to command the maid.

shior.

well. . . actually i knew alot of kids who disrespected their maids.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by GoldFinch(m): 1:49am On Jul 13, 2008
well. . . actually i knew alot of kids who disrespected their maids.
exactly, the "aunty" that can get fired easily if she beats the kids.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by Gamine(f): 1:49am On Jul 13, 2008
LOL

We were punished by our "Aunty"

i will never forget my punishment of water.

i drank water until i nearly drowned

Gosh, i can never forget

Anyways,

By their fruits we go kno them.

i can't even say much, no one knows me on this forum.

so to each his own imaginations.

Before they go come lock this thread, bye bye o
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by Esss(m): 1:50am On Jul 13, 2008
Everytime I stole, I had the living daylights flogged out of me.

I never said stealing was good o!! NO. All I am saying is that it is not unusual to hear of a 12 year old that steals. Big deal. Correct him, flog him, wateva! but its not like he impregnated a girl.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by GoldFinch(m): 1:51am On Jul 13, 2008
If we no know you by your fruits, then what do you know by ours?

Girl, waka pass.

ko radarada e so n jo.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by CH3COO(m): 1:52am On Jul 13, 2008
onyinye2:

i just think if yall held it down yall' self, it would have made you guys stronger. that is what i have noticed with families with out a father and a working mother. but it could also made you weaker so, i guess this topic has both sides to consider.
sister, you and her grew up in different parts of the world.  it's not uncommon for aje butter kids (no pun intended) to have house help, young or old.  Is it child abuse, probably.  Don't flame her too much for not realizing the raucous misconduct.

Gamine, in America and several other parts of the world this kind of thing is considered child abuse so please bear with Onyinye's outrage.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by CH3COO(m): 1:54am On Jul 13, 2008
Gold*Finch:

If we no know you by your fruits, then what do you know by ours?

Girl, waka pass.

ko radarada e so n jo.
you are so mean  cry
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by onyinye2(f): 1:57am On Jul 13, 2008
CH3COO:

sister, you and her grew up in different parts of the world. it's not uncommon for aje butter kids (no pun intended) to have house help, young or old. Is it child abuse, probably. Don't flame her too much for not realizing the raucous misconduct.

yeah i understand that i grew up in a different part of the world with different customs. that is why this whole topic is so foreign to me. i mean in the states, i dare you, i double dare you to hold any child as "maid" "aunty". i mean after the gov't is done with you, your cell mate will become your "aunty". so i guess i just can't understand seeing my any kid cleaning after or taking care of someone. i see the emotional distress from my teens because they are basically taking care of their siblings. so i don't know but i just wish people would let these kids be kids.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by GoldFinch(m): 1:58am On Jul 13, 2008
@CH3COO
But seriously, now that she's "grown", she should open her eyes and see the wrong in it.

Se lo nso katakata ni bi. shior
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by CH3COO(m): 2:03am On Jul 13, 2008
It's a testament to the kind of erratic culture encouraged by Nigerian government.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by coolier(f): 2:33am On Jul 13, 2008
The boy is only a child and should be in school, period.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by theopops: 3:53am On Jul 13, 2008
Y'all need to get off your high horse and see things the way it should be seen. In some parts of the world, kids as young as 12 have to work to take care of their family. Whether it is right or wrong, is not the case. When poverty sets in, they are left with no choice.

Onyinye, have you been to the midwest states before? Kids as young as 10, help their folks with farm work. Yes, farm work. They wake up before 5am to help milk cows and stuff. I don't see anyone shouting child abuse there. For crying out loud, she is even forcing him to go to school. Do you know what poverty does to someone's mind? I bet you all wouldn't know. You were all born with enough money to hire six maids at a time. So, please spare the woman. She is here to find solution to stopping a young man from turning into a full blown thief and all you can do, is accuse her of child abuse.

Poster, I think your mom is right. I don't subscribe to beating. If you truly want to help this child, spend more time with him and help him see why stealing is wrong and bad. His parents don't want him sent packing, because he might be their source of income for feeding and stuff.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by CH3COO(m): 4:06am On Jul 13, 2008
theopops:

Y'all need to get off your high horse and see things the way it should be seen. In some parts of the world, kids as young as 12 have to work to take care of their family. Whether it is right or wrong, is not the case. When poverty sets in, they are left with no choice.

Onyinye, have you been to the midwest states before? Kids as young as 10, help their folks with farm work. Yes, farm work. They wake up before 5am to help milk cows and stuff. I don't see anyone shouting child abuse there. For crying out loud, she is even forcing him to go to school. Do you know what poverty does to someone's mind? I bet you all wouldn't know. You were all born with enough money to hire six maids at a time. So, please spare the woman. She is here to find solution to stopping a young man from turning into a full blown thief and all you can do, is accuse her of child abuse.

Poster, I think your mom is right. I don't subscribe to beating. If you truly want to help this child, spend more time with him and help him see why stealing is wrong and bad. His parents don't want him sent packing, because he might be their source of income for feeding and stuff.
good call pops.

Gold*Finch:

@CH3COO
But seriously, now that she's "grown", she should open her eyes and see the wrong in it.

Se lo nso katakata ni bi. shior
Finch don't you think the kids' parents deserve the bigger share of the blame.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by GoldFinch(m): 4:23am On Jul 13, 2008
Of course
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by lucabrasi(m): 10:32am On Jul 13, 2008
one thing most people on here dont realise is that some of these supposed slaves have a better life and better opportunities than they will ever have with their biological parents,the reasons why many parents have housemaids is because housework in an average duplex is more than a semi detached abroad,at 12 years old if i stole which i did or i didnt go to choir practice which i often missed i got caned by my dad so i dont see anything wrong in beating the kid if he repeatedly steals.

we have always had at least 5 housemaids and one of them who has been with us since around 14 yrs old just graduated from a polythecnic in osun state,the reason why most of these parents allow their children to be houseboys/maids is because they do not have the money to send them to school and they dont want them to learn a trade,so most times the agreement is not just paying salaries but sending them to school as well,having housemaids might be a luxury but as for me and from my own experience,if just me and my bros and sisters only were left to clean and maintain our house then we would have been virtually doing only that because of the size and wouldnt have had time for anything even school
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by onyinye2(f): 1:46pm On Jul 13, 2008
theopops:

first of all i live in a place where seeing kids on farms is common. but these kids help THEIR family not someone else's. they are helping to support their own families by working with them. you dont see their parents shipping them off to the farm next door to become a house maid or what have you. you dont see these kids cleaning up after someone else's mess.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by chiogo(f): 3:28pm On Jul 13, 2008
I see nothing wrong with having maids be it a 12-year old or not as long as s/he is given work his/her age-mates can do and not over-worked and also sent to school. If you don't send a kid to school, then u didn't really do anything for them. That's just my belief!

But to all y'all claiming that having a 12-yr-old maid is child abuse and like slavery, that is so not true! First of all, there are also *maids* here in the states although most of y'all leaving outside the country think there isn't because of the paradise america is being portrayed to be. Yes, there are maids, just that they're not 12, they're older but a maid is a maid. Mexicans are known for cleaning and washing jobs here in the states, both men and women. The only reason y there are no 12-yr-old maids is because in America, every child has d right 2 education with or without money. They are helped out by the government.

But u cannot say the same 4 Nigeria, if your parents don't have money, tell me what government is goin to pay 4 your education. Then, you have d choice 2 become a maid. It's not like d employer took him against his will. Maids are just kids whose parents are poor in Nigeria and work to support the family. Here in the states, teenagers do baby-sitting jobs even those whose parents are comfortable just to be able 2 buy things they want for themselves. In Nigeria, an average kid with *comfortable* parents would not be working but not the same for America. My parents are able to provide for me but I work, does that make me a slave? I work 8hours every day because I could use d extra money. My parents can't buy me everything I want.

So long as a child is not over-worked, gets paid, and goes to school, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having maids. My sister and I have started cooking before the age of 10. I do my laundry, sweep and clean the house before I was 13 and I know lots of Americans who do too. So is that slavery or child abuse? So, someone having to do it and getting paid in the process is by no means child labor. You gotta work to get what you want, right?

I don't support beating, now that is child abuse. So, @poster, it's best you report the child once again 2 his parents and give them a criteria, like if he's caught cheating once more, he'll be sent packing. When his parents tells him that and him remembering he's d only source of money for the family, he'll think twice before stealing. Just don't beat him, you don't have d right 2 do that.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by lucabrasi(m): 5:18pm On Jul 13, 2008
@chiogo
nice one,makes a lot of sense too compared to a lot of op here.
its easy to be a moral crusader condemning everything,its easy to condemn 12 years old being housemaids/boys but when they r getting an education which their family wont give them and getting paid to take care of their siblings and families then i see it as a good deal,for people shouting the loudest and condemning how many undepriviledged 12 year olds who cannot afford an education are you sponsoring at the moment?if you are not then i hope you are not suggesting these boys should just sit down at home and wait for mana from heaven,in a country where the government has no plans for them,and the best the parents can offer them is street hawking oranges,or selling stuffs in the hold up
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by ifyalways(f): 7:32pm On Jul 13, 2008
@topic,deal with her/him the same you wud deal with ur own child that steals
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by minute(f): 8:21pm On Jul 13, 2008
if hes properly taken care of i.eproperly clothed and fed,

he goes to schl-even if its a public primary schl;like his age mates,

you guys show  him love and attention,i.e rudely telling  him to go sit in the kichen or in a dark corner  while others are in the living room playing game wont help matters.

monitor his every movement,even go as far as going  through his belongings once in a while.

come down to his level so he cld gain your trust , youll be surprised how much you are going to learn frm him.

If you guys do all this i see no reason why he shld keep stealing.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by Radiant(f): 8:45pm On Jul 13, 2008
What are you lot talking about here?? If you have children in the house why can't they do the work or why can't you employ someone older?? You can't treat an older person with such humiliation of course. Bloody good samaritans!

Fine! The boy's parents probably don't have much and that's why they sent him out to "work". As a human being with blood in your vessels, will you now take advantage of the boys poverty and treat him anyhow just because you're "paying" him? You beat him as you like, you use such abusive words on him because he's a shock absorber? A child is a child no matter how big he may seem.
A child not treated well mentally suffers the effect then and even in his future. You guys can't be bothered about how he feels 'cause afterall he's being "payed" to be a mule.

Would you wake your child at 5am to go fetch water in some stream? will you tell your child not to sleep until you go to bed?? Will you deprive your child of food because he came back late from an errand??

Every child did some chores around the house, I agree. My parents made us do a few things but not major tasks like washin cars, sweepin the whole house etc. We had a house help who was way older than us and not a child like us.
Hello??

A 12 yr old is a flammin child and has to be treated like a child irrespective of the fact that you're doing him a bloody ass "favor".
If your child travelled to an Aunt's place and they treated him in a "horrible" way will you send him there again? I doubt it with every living cell in me.

The fact that "this is Nigeria" don't mean it's the right thing to do! If you want to help someone, do so without taking advantage of his situation and treat him like a mule all in the name of some stupid salary.

I have a 'son' in Nigeria. He's almost my age but go ask him the way I treat him.

Y'all stop taking advantage of people's misery. Nonsense!
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by Gamine(f): 8:46pm On Jul 13, 2008
Aah Thank God some correct people dey talk o!

What is wrong in helping others out

pardon me for being privileged to help others!
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by lucabrasi(m): 9:05pm On Jul 13, 2008
@radiant
im sorry but you r being dramatic there,how many people in lagos fetch water in streams also even if you wanted to, what kind of errand will you send a 12 yrs old?bearing in mind that if anything happens to the child trust naija mind set they ll conclude you used him for money rituals the farthest anyone will send a 12 yrs old is the next street and why people actually prefer younger housemaids is because they can prove a temptation for the daddy of the house,if you havent heard of cases like that ask,there are load,as for house boys apart from stealing or bringing in armed robbers,did you hear of the pregnant woman who was killed by the houseboy after her husband travelled and then he had sex with the dead body, happened last year, if there was something like a criminal disclosure in nigeria like they do here or credit check then you will know the kind of people coming into your house,but in the absence of that will you allow a young man/woman into your house not knowing if they are armed robbers or scammers pretending to be maids/houseboys?

i dont know where you grew up but we got our ass whipped in naija with horse whip and we got punished regularly,so that might sound like barbaric to you but fathers and mothers did that regularly and thats not to say they dont care for us or love us,thats why we didnt turn out like the kids in london knifing each other
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by LASIEFAIRE(m): 9:11pm On Jul 13, 2008
is it really helping others out?
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by Radiant(f): 9:41pm On Jul 13, 2008
lucabrasi:

@radiant
im sorry but you r being dramatic there,how many people in lagos fetch water in streams also even if you wanted to,

I'm not being dramatic in any way. These things happen in Nigeria. Is Lagos the whole Nigeria? Don't push it pls.
lucabrasi:

what kind of errand will you send a 12 years old?bearing in mind that if anything happens to the child trust naija mind set they ll conclude you used him for money rituals the farthest anyone will send a 12 years old is the next street and

In Nigeria they send even younger kids on errands such as washing cars, fetchin water, going to market. What are you talking about? You didn't grow in Nigeria? Rituals or no rituals, people abuse children in that country. What next street? Wake up!
lucabrasi:

why people actually prefer younger housemaids is because they can prove a temptation for the daddy of the house,if you havent heard of cases like that ask,there are load,as for house boys apart from stealing or bringing in armed robbers,did you hear of the pregnant woman who was killed by the houseboy after her husband travelled and then he had sex with the dead body, happened last year, if there was something like a criminal disclosure in nigeria like they do here or credit check then you will know the kind of people coming into your house,but in the absence of that will you allow a young man/woman into your house not knowing if they are armed robbers or scammers pretending to be maids/houseboys?

I totally understand what you mean but ermmm. . . no excuse for child abuse, darling.

lucabrasi:

i don't know where you grew up but we got our ass whipped in naija with horse whip and we got punished regularly,so that might sound like barbaric to you but fathers and mothers did that regularly and thats not to say they don't care for us or love us,thats why we didnt turn out like the kids in london knifing each other

Sorry dear. I wasn't beaten tho' slapped a few times. I don't support beating. I was raised without whips and what not and yet I don't "knife" people. There are ways to raise children other than beating tho' I agree some children are terribly stubborn.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by Gamine(f): 9:48pm On Jul 13, 2008
Its helping.

Ofcos there are always exceptions and wicked people
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by Ndipe(m): 11:44pm On Jul 13, 2008
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-10441.0.html

Davidylan, what's your beef with covenant university?

As per hiring housemaid, lets not be quick to judge. As much as I tend to view it as a manfestation of modern day slavery, however, I am having mixed feelings about it. At times, there are families who could bring in a maid, educate them, cater for them, like their own children, till they are grown up. Now, how can one draw the line between housemaid and child slavery and a maid (of a young age) who is taken care off by their guardians?
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by Radiant(f): 11:51pm On Jul 13, 2008
Ndipe:

Now, how can one draw the line between housemaid and child slavery and a maid (of a young age) who is taken care off by their guardians?

I really hope you're not indirectly asking me to repeat myself. Please, read well.
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by Ndipe(m): 11:53pm On Jul 13, 2008
I dont think my comment were directly referred to you@radiant. Look before you leap!
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by mspls: 11:56pm On Jul 13, 2008
i was a maid my sis brought me here as her adopited child i came here when i was little. i was maid for her for all my life cook clean everything you can think of i was it but school i did not finsh it happen in america here.and am happy living by by self
Re: How To Deal With A Maid That Steals by Gamine(f): 11:59pm On Jul 13, 2008
In this case i believe the mum was employed and ofcos she has to have her child.

While the mother does major work around the house,

the boy runs some errands and sweeps.

I SEE NO PROBLEM HERE AT ALL.

the only issue is, the boy steals

that is what we have to address!

@Ndipe, abeg help me ask o!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Maid Has Taken Over My Matrimonial Home / Just For Fun....what Is The Age Difference Between You And Your Spouse / I'm Planning Of Marriage But The Question Is Can 30,000 Salary Sustain Both Of Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.