Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. (1356 Views)

Uche Secondus Hands-Over To Ali Modu-Sherrif (Photos) / Ali Modu-Sherrif Chilling With Gabriel Suswam After Emerging The PDP Chairman / Ali Modu-Sherrif Taking The Oath Of Office As PDP Chairman (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by Nobody: 7:56am On Nov 06, 2013
former governor Borno State, Senator Ali Modu
Sheriff, has added another airplane to his fleet
with his latest acquisition being a new Gulfstream
jet G650 model that cost him an estimated $72
million (N11.5 billion).
Registered in Dubai with special specifications, the
aircraft is the fourth in his fleet, as he already has
three old Dornier aircraft which he acquired from
Aero Contractors at an estimated $3 million (N480
million).
The Dornier aircraft were said to be used for
charter services as the former governor recently
obtained an Air Operator Certificate (AOC) from
the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) for
his airline, Skybird. But a source told Thisday that
his new acquisition, the Gulfstream was acquired
for Sheriff’s personal use, as the aircraft was top
of the range, and no would want to deploy such
for commercial service.
The actions of the former governor, who has been
alleged to fund the terrorist Boko Haram sect in
North-eastern Nigeria, on the new aircraft, has
been described by a Nigerian pilot as unpatriotic.
According to him, by registering the aircraft
overseas, Sheriff had denied Nigeria taxes and
import duty on the aircraft. No Nigerian pilot or
engineer would also be employed to operate or
work on the aircraft because with the foreign
registration, only pilots and engineers licensed in
the United Arab Emirates would be authorised to
operate and service the aircraft.
“By registering the aircraft overseas, he has
avoided tax and import duty, which he should pay
to a country where he is a citizen and from which
he made the money which he now spends on a
foreign crew,” he said.
According to US-based Forbes magazine, the
Gulfstream G650 has an order book of 200
customers throughout the world.
Gulfstream described the aircraft as ultra-high-
speed, ultra-long-range business jet and the gold
standard in business aviation.
The model was introduced in 2008 with a capacity
for eight passengers and a crew of four on nonstop
legs of 7,000 nautical miles (12,964 km) for
standard configuration.
“That means it will link Dubai with New York and
London with Buenos Aires. With its powerful Rolls-
Royce BR725 engines, the G650 will cover shorter
distances at a speed of Mach 0.925. No traditional
business jet will take you closer to the speed of
sound,” Gulfstream said on its website.

http://www.informationng.com/2013/11/former-borno-governor-sheriff-acquires-11-4bn-aircraft.html

Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 06, 2013
Dembaba Suntai cos to mind.
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by ecosanders: 8:00am On Nov 06, 2013
And this id*io t is d genesis behind bh, yet d retardeen govt couldn't arrest him.
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by MaJBlige(f): 8:45am On Nov 06, 2013
ecosanders: And this id*io t is d genesis behind bh, yet d retardeen govt couldn't arrest him.

talk is cheap.
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by ecosanders: 9:01am On Nov 06, 2013
Ma_J_Blige:

talk is cheap.
who b dis one? U miss road abi u never take ur drugs dis morning?
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 06, 2013
I expect all d yoruba media to begin to probe Sherif immediately. How wz a senator able to purchase a jet for $72m? All d ppl calling for Oduah's head shld nt keep quite on dis one ooo! Or is d anti corruption fight only against Igbo politicians?

1 Like

Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 06, 2013
ecosanders: And this id*io t is d genesis behind bh, yet d retardeen govt couldn't arrest him.

Why hav u not shouted for d arrest of OBJ after all the billions of naira budgeted for power dat vanished under him

1 Like

Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by OrigamiIII: 9:35am On Nov 06, 2013
Dive-Bomber:
I expect all d yoruba media to begin to probe Sherif immediately. How wz a senator able to purchase a jet for $72m? All d ppl calling for Oduah's head shld nt keep quite on dis one ooo! Or is d anti corruption fight only against Igbo politicians?

Senator Sheriff was a billionaire in dollars worth before he became a senator and then governor.Very amiable fellow.He did not procure the jets while in office as governor unlike our dear aviation minister.I like oduah as a person but she really goofed on this BMW saga.
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by MaJBlige(f): 9:48am On Nov 06, 2013
ecosanders: who b dis one? U miss road abi u never take ur drugs dis morning?

talk is cheap
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by ecosanders: 11:16am On Nov 06, 2013
Ma_J_Blige:

talk is cheap
eyah! I can see u keep repeating d same line, an in indication dat u r typing from yaba left. Dats d line ur. Psychiatrist ask u to keep repeating mayb ur brain can com back to normal. Pele, daily dose of lagartine injection wont Be bad for u sha.
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by GreatSkess: 11:34am On Nov 06, 2013
The tag at which the airplane was bought is quite high.
I am not against his extravagance,but if really he's a patriotic Nigeria he would had bought the aforemention jet in Nigeria( i.e having a believe on Technology team)
Had it been,the jet was bought in Nigeria,it sales accumulated from it,who had been injected into the economy.
Most of this governor needs tutorial!
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:38am On Nov 06, 2013
Dive-Bomber:
let ur brothers starts with dickson..
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by Polio: 11:45am On Nov 06, 2013
Great_Skess: The tag at which the airplane was bought is quite high.
I am not against his extravagance,but if really he's a patriotic Nigeria he would had bought the aforemention jet in Nigeria( i.e having a believe on Technology team)
Had it been,the jet was bought in Nigeria,it sales accumulated from it,who had been injected into the economy.

What bloody tutorial?

It is Ali Modu Sheriff's money, he can do whatever he wants!
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by MeAboki(m): 11:59am On Nov 06, 2013
Great_Skess: The tag at which the airplane was bought is quite high.
I am not against his extravagance[b],but if really he's a patriotic Nigeria he would had bought the aforemention jet in Nigeria( i.e having a believe on Technology team)[/b]

So that his plane too will fall down from the sky like other ones, due to criminal negligence and poor maintenance ethics under the watchful eye of our aviation ministry, whose concern seems more preoccupied with beautifying the airports while ignoring the really important technical issues of flight safety and operations.
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by GreatSkess: 8:02pm On Nov 06, 2013
Me_Aboki:

So that his plane too will fall down from the sky like other ones, due to criminal negligence and poor maintenance ethics under the watchful eye of our aviation ministry, whose concern seems more preoccupied with beautifying the airports while ignoring the really important technical issues of flight safety and operations.
Quite all right, the Aviation minister is in possession of some expensive car,but this does not in any way justifies the purchase of customise jet by a ex governor.Calling out loud a customise jet!
And who told you that most planes crashes in Nigeria is caused by criminal negligence?
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by MeAboki(m): 1:04am On Nov 07, 2013
^^^^ Read my post again, I did not refer to the issue of expensive cars (stop jumping to the wrong conclusion) but the important technical issue of flight safety and operations as opposed to only beautifying the airports.

As for the Ex Gov, well its a free world, if its his money then he is entitled to spend it as he likes.

So by inference, if most plane crashes in Nigeria are not due to negligence then they must be deliberate or an act of God - now I see where you are coming from, no wonder you were fixated about the cars - an Oduah apologist in disguise.
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by GreatSkess: 8:29am On Nov 07, 2013
Me_Aboki: ^^^^ Read my post again, I did not refer to the issue of expensive cars (stop jumping to the wrong conclusion) but the important technical issue of flight safety and operations as opposed to only beautifying the airports.

_______________________(great_skess replies)
And who told you they dont have future plan in the technical aspect,the fact that operation in this aspect look archaic should nt be a license of condemning beauty!

______________________(great_skess replies)
No problem on how he spends his money! The only ish I have with him is chanelling of resources to another country.

So by inference, if most plane crashes in Nigeria are not due to negligence then they must be deliberate or an act of God - now I see where you are coming from, no wonder you were fixated about the cars - an Oduah apologist in disguise.
________________________(great_skess post)
Hahaha, Fixated you called it! lemme not go into this it's absurd
Re: Former Borno Governor Sen. Ali Modu Sherrif Acquires Aircraft Worth $72m. by MeAboki(m): 11:44am On Nov 07, 2013
^^^^ So they have future plans to address the technical issue of safety and operations.
Well, let me ask you a question; which do you you think should come first between safety and beauty, in terms of priority?

With this kind of mindset, its no wonder that you seem to lack the technical ability to quote and post your comments effectively.

Still, your ish with the Ex Gov does not take away his right to channel his money (as you put it) to another country or spend it as he likes.

Yes, deny as much as you want, you still seem fixated about the aviation minister (not necessarily the issue at hand) and with the defence of the indefensible.

(1) (Reply)

Big Crisis Rocks Akpabio's House / Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? / President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Would Win 2015 Presidential Election.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.