Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,463 members, 7,954,814 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:58 AM

Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? (5014 Views)

My Girlfriend Wants To Leave Me Because I'm A Freethinker / My Girlfriend Wants To Pay Me Off And Marry A Richer Man / Most Romantic Way to Ask, "Will You Marry Me?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Jman06(m): 9:50am On Nov 07, 2013
This issue has been puzzling me and i think it's high time i shared it with Nlanders,especially the ladies.I'm a freethinker to the core and i doubt if anything can make me accept any religious belief,even from childhood i find it very difficult to belief the existence of a god,hell or heaven.Even when i go to church and the pastor is preaching,i don't belief what he's saying because they always sound so abstract and and more like lies to me.Unfortunately i'm in a clime where everybody seem to be 'heaven' bound,even though many are hypocrites that preach one thing but practice the exact opposite.This hypocrisy seems to be more common among ladies,and that's why i want to hear from them.They always use the phrase ''i want to marry a God fearing man'' as if that is the only quality that can guarantee a happy marriage.Yes somebody might not be 'God fearing' but have a good heart and be a lover of humanity,shouldn't such person get married?I also want to know if there are Nigerian ladies who are freethinkers.Again,to the God fearing ladies,can you marry a freethinker/atheist?Mod pls front page.

4 Likes

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by exe0(m): 2:00pm On Nov 07, 2013
chairman na wa 4 u oo
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Jman06(m): 10:20pm On Nov 07, 2013
exe0: chairman na wa 4 u oo
my bro it's not my fault,i have tried to pretend and join the hypocrisy,but i'm not just good at pretence.

1 Like

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Nov 07, 2013
Funny how atheists refer to themselves as free thinkers. . . News flash: You don't believe in a supreme being and that's all. A non belief system practiced by you doesn't make you smarter.

Just saying.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:38pm On Nov 07, 2013
Either u are a free thinker or an atheist, hell knws u are practicing a religion!!

The foolishness abt priding yourself an atheist lies in ur inability to see it as a form of worshiping one's self and bilivin in one's logic...

And a freethinker to me is just one arrogant S.O.B who doesn't wanna answer to nobody!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Ishilove: 11:15pm On Nov 07, 2013
No I can't. The scriptures do say the shindren of God should not be unequally yoked to unbelievers, so I cannot be yoked to a man who will not 'encourage me in the Lord'. He will quench the small fire I am struggling to maintain and grow.

Yeah, he might have all the qualities that can make a marriage grow, but that integral part, a belief in the inestimable power of the Most High disqualifies him.

The planets revolve around the sun, not the other way round. We are put here on earth for God's purpose and we must pray to find, understand and fulfil that purpose. A man who has denied the existence and reality of his creator is not someone I can share my life with because my God is the centre of my existence; He is my Sun, He is whom my life revolves around. After Him everything comes next.

5 Likes

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Nov 07, 2013
sexkillz: Funny how atheists refer to themselves as free thinkers. . . News flash: You don't believe in a supreme being and that's all. A non belief system practiced by you doesn't make you smarter.

Just saying.
The words "free thinker" do not imply superiority of mind, rather, independence of thought and philosophy. Arrogance can be found in both religious and atheist camps.

@OP, I would not marry an atheist or religious man who believed "their way" should be/become my own... because honestly, I don't know what to believe or think nowadays undecided. However, I am open minded, so we will see.

3 Likes

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Nov 07, 2013
Flytefalls:
The words "free thinker" do not imply superiority of mind, rather, independence of thought and philosophy. Arrogance can be found in both religious and atheist camps.

@OP, I would not marry an atheist or religious man who believed "their way" should be/become my own... because honestly, I don't know what to believe or think nowadays undecided. However, I am open minded, so we will see.
I'm guessing people who are religious do not have independence of thought, as they were "forced" to believe. . . The "free thinker" notion is just plain silly.
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 07, 2013
sexkillz: I'm guessing people who are religious do not have independence of thought, as they were "forced" to believe. . . The "free thinker" notion is just plain silly.

There are too many branches to take this debate; I don't disagree with you (all humans have autonomy), but on the Nigerian social surface it would be largely "against the grain" to not follow a God/religion.

1 Like

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 07, 2013
Flytefalls:

There are too many branches to take this debate; I don't disagree with you (all humans have autonomy), but on the Nigerian social surface it would be largely "against the grain" to not follow a God/religion.
Not following a religion is a choice; just as following religion is a choice. So how does a choice you made translate into you being a free thinker? The "thoughts" you now claim to be yours were postulated by someone, were they not?

You made a choice, and that's all it is - A choice. Doesn't make you a free thinker.

3 Likes

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 12:28am On Nov 08, 2013
sexkillz: Not following a religion is a choice; just as following religion is a choice. So how does a choice you made translate into you being a free thinker? The "thoughts" you now claim to be yours were postulated by someone, were they not?

You made a choice, and that's all it is - A choice. Doesn't make you a free thinker.

It seems the word "free" offends you more than it ought to. Yes, both groups make choices that are not 'free' in its entirety. Society conditions us all. Any person's thoughts/beliefs that are not underpinned by God/religious teachings (esp in Nigeria) can be considered estranged or separate...... or 'free', from the majority. As I have said, I don't think "free thinking" denotes superiority. That's all.

It is interesting because here in the UK I don't hear many people using "free-thinker" in place of "atheist".
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 12:52am On Nov 08, 2013
I have encountered a few, guess what happens when they are down and they cant seem to find a way out of a solution or when they need something to happen quick. They call on God undecided like i said only those i have encountered with
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Jman06(m): 7:04am On Nov 08, 2013
Flytefalls:

what if the freethinker/atheist doesn't care about what you believe but loves you beyond your religious adherence?
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 7:31am On Nov 08, 2013
Flytefalls:

It seems the word "free" offends you more than it ought to. Yes, both groups make choices that are not 'free' in its entirety. Society conditions us all. Any person's thoughts/beliefs that are not underpinned by God/religious teachings (esp in Nigeria) can be considered estranged or separate...... or 'free', from the majority. As I have said, I don't think "free thinking" denotes superiority. That's all.

It is interesting because here in the UK I don't hear many people using "free-thinker" in place of "atheist".
Here in Nigeria and on Nairaland, "free thinking" denotes superiority. It's good to always put them in check. The dumbest of atheists in Nigeria claims to be a free thinker because he isn't religious. Read up the OP again, and maybe you'll see what I mean.
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Jman06(m): 7:43am On Nov 08, 2013
sexkillz: Funny how atheists refer to themselves as free thinkers. . . News flash: You don't believe in a supreme being and that's all. A non belief system practiced by you doesn't make you smarter.

Just saying.
There's a difference between a freethinker and an atheist.A freethinker is one who forms a religious opinion contrary to what majority were made to believe.His opinion could be that God probably exists but not as powerful as people were made to believe,some freethinkers think that God once existed but is now extinct, Some think that there's no other God apart from the nearest human to you,there are still those who think that any human who does good to others is God while one who does bad to others is satan.An atheist on the other hand believes entirely that there's no God.A freethinker may be open minded and just need some conviction to believe that there's God while an atheist seem to be almost certain that there's no God.
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 08, 2013
Jman06: There's a difference between a freethinker and an atheist.A freethinker is one who forms a religious opinion contrary to what majority were made to believe.His opinion could be that God probably exists but not as powerful as people were made to believe,some freethinkers think that God once existed but is now extinct, Some think that there's no other God apart from the nearest human to you,there are still those who think that any human who does good to others is God while one who does bad to others is satan.An atheist on the other hand believes entirely that there's no God.A freethinker may be open minded and just need some conviction to believe that there's God while an atheist seem to be almost certain that there's no God.
They're all pretty confused to me. . . That's all.

1 Like

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 08, 2013
Na wa Ooooo. The OP asked a simple question, can you marry a freethinker/ atheist. simple answer is yes I can because... or no I can't because... instead you all choose to abuse/define what atheism/ free thinkerism is. Did y'all pass WAEC at all?
@ question. Yep, I would marry him in a heart beat if he is the one for me... As long as he agrees that our belief don't have to be one and the same, and as long as he lets our kids choose their religion.

8 Likes

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Goldenheart(m): 12:09pm On Nov 08, 2013
ermm... okay lipsrsealed
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 08, 2013
Jman06: what if the freethinker/atheist doesn't care about what you believe but loves you beyond your religious adherence?
I'd be down wid dat wink

2 Likes

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Danhumprey: 1:23pm On Nov 08, 2013
bigdiva: Na wa Ooooo. The OP asked a simple question, can you marry a freethinker/ atheist. simple answer is yes I can because... or no I can't because... instead you all choose to abuse/define what atheism/ free thinkerism is. Did y'all pass WAEC at all?
@ question. Yep, I would marry him in a heart beat if he is the one for me... As long as he agrees that our belief don't have to be one and the same, and as long as he lets our kids choose their religion.
Simple question demand simple answer,but some people would rather go and start writing epistles. grin

Well,the question is directed at the ladies,so I would just keep... lipsrsealed
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 08, 2013
My christian babe is going ahead to marry me despite my religious non-alignment.
...Lucky me.

2 Likes

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 08, 2013
sexkillz: Not following a religion is a choice; just as following religion is a choice. So how does a choice you made translate into you being a free thinker? The "thoughts" you now claim to be yours were postulated by someone, were they not?

not every "free-thinker" is following a particular School of Thought postulated by someone...true Free thinkers usually have Convictions that cannot be summed up in statements like "there is no God" for instance.

1 Like

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by spacyzuma(m): 11:34pm On Nov 08, 2013
I'm glad to see this post.

I'm not a religious person anymore. And I know I will get bashed, but I'm not an atheist either. I'm agnostic. I'm not gonna define what it means, cos peeps will still yab/mock/insult.

I stopped believing in religion years ago, when I was still in Nigeria. Since I left, I've been much more open about my views.

Now, when I marry, it should be a Nigerian woman. But so far, it's been very hard finding a Nigerian woman who tolerates a non-believer. The religion thingy is sooooo deep in the psyche of most Nigerians. One babe said she can tolerate almost anything in a man, but she'll never tolerate a man who doesn't believe in god. It still shocked me till today.

It's not like I even want to convert people to my view/belief. Religion has its good aspects. It also has bad aspects. The key to peace and harmony is love, understanding and tolerance. But when people who claim to be religious keep openly displaying their hypocrisy and intolerance and hatred, it's shocking, to say the least.

I can marry a religious woman. What I want is a woman who reasons 'logically' and doesn't make stupid/ridiculous conclusions because of religion.

8 Likes

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by spacyzuma(m): 11:35pm On Nov 08, 2013
marleymcintosh: My christian babe is going ahead to marry me despite my religious non-alignment.
...Lucky me.

You are lucky, bro. I need me a woman like that.
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by spacyzuma(m): 11:36pm On Nov 08, 2013
Flytefalls:
I'd be down wid dat wink

You make sense, lady.
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 12:51am On Nov 09, 2013
FACEPALM ! Not this again na ! Abeg we have had this topic quite a lot. At least you would have put a twist to it by stating why religious chics, especially Christians zshoild marry an atheist or vice versa genderwise.
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 12:55am On Nov 09, 2013
sexkillz: Here in Nigeria and on Nairaland, "free thinking" denotes superiority. It's good to always put them in check. The dumbest of atheists in Nigeria claims to be a free thinker because he isn't religious. Read up the OP again, and maybe you'll see what I mean.

I think you're letting stuff on Religion board get to you. There are lots of stuff atheists can be closeminded on. The term is a good catchphrase for their unbelief so they adopted it same way Christians say one of their cliches eg I am blessed etc etc.
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 09, 2013
spacyzuma: I'm glad to see this post.

I'm not a religious person anymore. And I know I will get bashed, but I'm not an atheist either. I'm agnostic. I'm not gonna define what it means, cos peeps will still yab/mock/insult.

I stopped believing in religion years ago, when I was still in Nigeria. Since I left, I've been much more open about my views.

Now, when I marry, it should be a Nigerian woman. But so far, it's been very hard finding a Nigerian woman who tolerates a non-believer. The religion thingy is sooooo deep in the psyche of most Nigerians. One babe said she can tolerate almost anything in a man, but she'll never tolerate a man who doesn't believe in god. It still shocked me till today.

It's not like I even want to convert people to my view/belief. Religion has its good aspects. It also has bad aspects. The key to peace and harmony is love, understanding and tolerance. But when people who claim to be religious keep openly displaying their hypocrisy and intolerance and hatred, it's shocking, to say the least.

I can marry a religious woman. What I want is a woman who reasons 'logically' and doesn't make stupid/ridiculous conclusions because of religion.
Spacyzuma....I know you.... didn't know you are agnostic... Ifeanyi.
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 09, 2013
No I can't.
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Dannylux: 9:30am On Nov 09, 2013
Even the free thinkers / atheists have something they worship. They worship an idea, the idea that there's no god.
Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 09, 2013
Dannylux: Even the free thinkers / atheists have something they worship. They worship an idea, the idea that there's no god.
Bruv,This your Thought Process is so off-Key

2 Likes

Re: Ladies Can You Marry A Freethinker/atheist? by spacyzuma(m): 10:28am On Nov 09, 2013
koonbey: Bruv,This your Thought Process is so off-Key

As in! Seriously, off-key. smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lord Hv Mercy On Me And Send Me a Gal Wth A Tummy As Flat As Dis / Another Man Admires His Fiancee's Hot Bum Bum In Hot Pre-wedding Photoshoot / Pictures Of Baby Pig With Human Face Goes Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.